Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Is my new 1883 No Cents V Nickel a Proof or a Business Strike? **Ancient Thread Update - 08-15-22

ModCrewmanModCrewman Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited August 15, 2022 7:55AM in U.S. Coin Forum
Update 8/15/22:
Since someone else revived this thread, I'll share that PCGS graded this one MS63. https://www.pcgs.com/cert/37335084

I think I know the answer, but thought it'd make a good educational thread for the benefit of the board.

I was looking through my B&M's box of raw nickels yesterday and came across this coin which has reflective fields and an excellent strike (see the bottom left ear on the reverse). It really stood out to me, so I took it home. Upon closer review and comparison to Coin Facts coins and some posts on the forum I've made up my mind as to whether it's a proof or business strike...What do you think?

If you need a little help deciding, you may reference this thread, but be forewarned, it'll give you the answer pretty definitively.

Comments

• Options
    TomBTomB Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It looks like a business strike coin to me. Now I will go read your linked thread to see if I embarrassed myself too badly.image
    Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• Options
    TPRCTPRC Posts: 3,740 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I said business strike as well....and now I'll go read as well.

....well...that was as clear as mud....detail on ears of corn tells me it's a proof......dies cracks tell me it's a business strike. I'm sticking with business strike. Proof coins weren't used enough for the die to erode and crack, IMO. I'm guessing it happened at times though.

Tom

• Options
    I'll say Pr. Strike, squared off, evidence of double strike...but, it sure looks like a business strike.

Eric
  • Options
    lasvegasteddylasvegasteddy Posts: 10,408 ✭✭✭
    in the ...
    no call here crowd...image

strange thing those lib nickels on telling proof from ms

easy when the mirrors are there or frosted like a birthday cake...but here....hmmm
    no mirrors...actually some scatter going on in the fields

devices look as sharp as can be...most do though on ms n proof

the edge is square...this tends to lean me towards proof

but those fields...the scatter in them and no mirrors...

no call here but i did vote bizz strike
    everything in life is but merely on loan to us by our appreciation....lose your appreciation and see

• Options
    I don't see anything that would make me think proof.

merse

• Options
    Looks like a business strike to me
  • Options

<< <i>....well...that was as clear as mud....detail on ears of corn tells me it's a proof......dies cracks tell me it's a business strike. I'm sticking with business strike. Proof coins weren't used enough for the die to erode and crack, IMO. I'm guessing it happened at times though. >>

The ear of corn is what really throws me as well. If you look in CoinFacts there isn't a single business strike that has the same level of detail in that ear. And then there's this Snow guy who speaks somewhat authoritatively that there aren't any die cracks on proofs. So what's a guy to do?
  • Options
    FlatwoodsFlatwoods Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It looks like a business strike to me.
  • Options
    keyman64keyman64 Posts: 15,456 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Business Strike
    "If it's not fun, it's not worth it." - KeyMan64
    Looking for Top Pop Mercury Dime Varieties & High Grade Mercury Dime Toners. :smile:
  • Options
    COALPORTERCOALPORTER Posts: 2,900 ✭✭
    What coin shop ? I need a coin shop that tosses
    those in the raw box. You should see our raw box,
    Nothing worth over 6 cents!
  • Options
    halfhunterhalfhunter Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭
    Here's my theory (WAG). . . This was one of the first business strike coins produced as the operators were still trying to get the press set-up tuned in for the new design . . . Hence the squared rims, full strike, plus the die fatigue.

OK . . . now I'll go read the other thread . . .

HH
    Need the following OBW rolls to complete my 46-64 Roosevelt roll set:
    1947-P & D; 1948-D; 1949-P & S; 1950-D & S; and 1952-S.
    Any help locating any of these OBW rolls would be gratefully appreciated!
  • Options
    bestclser1bestclser1 Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭
    business strike.
    Great coins are not cheap,and cheap coins are not great!
  • Options
    astroratastrorat Posts: 9,221 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Business strike ... no doubt.
    Numismatist Ordinaire
    See http://www.doubledimes.com for a free online reference for US twenty-cent pieces
  • Options
    EdscoinEdscoin Posts: 2,028 ✭✭✭
    Looks like a proof that's been banged around some!
    ED
  • Options
    stealerstealer Posts: 3,968 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>....well...that was as clear as mud....detail on ears of corn tells me it's a proof......dies cracks tell me it's a business strike. I'm sticking with business strike. Proof coins weren't used enough for the die to erode and crack, IMO. I'm guessing it happened at times though. >>

The ear of corn is what really throws me as well. If you look in CoinFacts there isn't a single business strike that has the same level of detail in that ear. And then there's this Snow guy who speaks somewhat authoritatively that there aren't any die cracks on proofs. So what's a guy to do? >>

I'm pretty sure early capped bust proofs had die cracks on them.

I think it's BS anyway.
  • Options
    TPRCTPRC Posts: 3,740 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

The ear of corn is what really throws me as well. If you look in CoinFacts there isn't a single business strike that has the same level of detail in that ear. And then there's this Snow guy who speaks somewhat authoritatively that there aren't any die cracks on proofs. So what's a guy to do? >>

I'm pretty sure early capped bust proofs had die cracks on them.

I think it's BS anyway. >>

I'm sure some exist. In any event, I still think BS. And had I not read the link, nothing would have jumped out at me to indicate proof.

Tom

• Options
    TrimeTrime Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭
    Business strike
    Trime
  • Options
    OriginalDanOriginalDan Posts: 3,723 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Die crack through STATES, business strike I think.
  • Options
    atarianatarian Posts: 3,116
    Business Strike. Also has a nice die crack at the top of TAT connecting the lettering. Nice looking coin.
    Founder of the NDCCA. *WAM Count : 025. *NDCCA Database Count : 2,610. *You suck 6/24/10. <3 In memory of Tiggar 5/21/1994 - 5/28/2010 <3
  • Options
    stealerstealer Posts: 3,968 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Die crack through STATES, business strike I think. >>

I'm not seeing the die crack, it looks like a stray mark to me since it seems to run onto the left side of the second T in STATES.

@Realone, fair enough, I don't know enough to argue.
  • Options
    OriginalDanOriginalDan Posts: 3,723 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Die crack through STATES, business strike I think. >>

I'm not seeing the die crack, it looks like a stray mark to me since it seems to run onto the left side of the second T in STATES. >>

Looks like a die crack to me, but need the OP to check the coin in hand.
  • Options
    atarianatarian Posts: 3,116
    might be the photo OP will have to check for us. But it looked like it from my view. I have a 1891 that has a similar crack but more circular. around the letters
    Founder of the NDCCA. *WAM Count : 025. *NDCCA Database Count : 2,610. *You suck 6/24/10. <3 In memory of Tiggar 5/21/1994 - 5/28/2010 <3
  • Options
    I too have determined that it's a business strike, primarily due to the die cracks on both obverse and reverse; and Rick's evaluation that there aren't die cracks on proofs. There is an obverse die crack running between the two top stars and across the point of the tiara, and a reverse die crack running across the TAT of States.

The coin has an attractive toning, and as indicated an exceptional strike. It was bought as a business strike, and with the hope that perhaps it was a proof, but I'm happy to have it as an example in my collection, even as a business strike.
  • Options
    STONESTONE Posts: 15,275
    Maybe they aren't found in this series, but there are plenty of proof coins with die cracks!
  • Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,486 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I vote business strike. I see the little planchet flaws that often appear on Mint State, business strike Liberty nickels, and the surfaces have the don't look like a Proof to me. You may compare your piece with this certified Proof example of the 1883 No Cents nickel.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options

Ive always believed tha type A reverse (hand engraved, slightly diff lettering positioning, doubled S then corrected) is only used on tha proof issue. Type B reverse (normal) is known for buisness strikes. Someone correct if not consistant.

• Options
    TreashuntTreashunt Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭✭✭

@IHateDieState said:
    Ive always believed tha type A reverse (hand engraved, slightly diff lettering positioning, doubled S then corrected) is only used on tha proof issue. Type B reverse (normal) is known for buisness strikes. Someone correct if not consistant.

10 year old thread

Frank

BHNC #203

• Options

Since someone revived the thread, I'll update that this one was graded MS63 by PCGS. https://pcgs.com/cert/37335084

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file