Home Metal Detecting
Options

Found this place today.

mrpaseomrpaseo Posts: 4,753 ✭✭✭
We went fishing this morning and on our way out, we took a wrong turn. Just as we got to the end of the dirt road, we found this:

We didn't have much time so we quickly jumped out, grabbed the MD to just see if we could get a hit. This is where I realized, we didn't pack any digging tools. I wanted to see if there was any noise even though we would not be able to dig anything up and as soon as I turned on the MD, the bells started ringing. My daughter and I got a little excited. The first high tone we hit said 2-4 inches deep so the little one grabbed a stick and started moving dirt. This is what came out if the hole:

We decided to keep it because it's our first solo dig together. We didn't have much time because friends were waiting on us so we packed up and went fishing. We didn't catch any fish but my DD and I talked about returning to the old cellar.

We returned to look around some more and to see what kind of signals we would receive. As mentioned, we received lots of signals all over the chart so we just kicked around a little to see what we could find. (All outside the building). We found a bunch of rusted old cans, nothing to write home about.

Here are some other pictures.

This chunk of iron was sitting on the wall.

We found this car a little down the road.

What are your thoughts on how to MD a site like this?

Thanks for looking,
Ray.

Edited to make a few corrections. Just a note, these pictures were taken, uploaded to photbucket and this thread was done created on a phone. Amazing how far we have come over there years.

Comments

• Options
    just my 2 cents but ide say,,, bring a shovel?,, backhoe?,, bulldozer? or at the very least your digging knife next time,,, lol,, nice pics keep them coming im enjoying it,,, john

edited to add: and bring a few bananas for the bigfoot in your 1st and last photo, he looks hungry and curious,,,, nice
    imageimageimageimageimage
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Interesting site.... might I suggest you try to find the history on the area and the building. No doubt there will be a lot of trash, but could be some treasure as well.
    @BigJohn... I see the Bigfoot in the last picture, but not the first...??
    Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    1st picture at the top just to the left between the 2 big trees, its an unnatural lump, hes looking right at you man,,, image
    imageimageimageimageimage
  • Options
    OK.. saw that, looks to me like part of the tree to the left... interesting though... Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    I'm not sure we are able to MD in the area so I am going to do some research. I know we are allowed camp fires in the area so I'm not sure why not... But I'm going to look it up before I go digging around.

I didn't see BigFoot in the back drop...lol. I'll have to keep an eye out for him in the future image

Ray

• Options

<< <i>Metal detectors are prohibited in LBL. >>

(Land Between the Lakes)

Looks like it's a no go. Still some interesting sites. The irony is they allow ATVs and campfires... I wonder why MD have such a bad rep... Anyone want to chime in?
  • Options
    No idea... maybe an inquiry will help... seems like an arbitrary decision.. is it state land? Cheers, RickO
  • Options

<< <i>No idea... maybe an inquiry will help... seems like an arbitrary decision.. is it state land? Cheers, RickO >>

Ricko, the next time I am out there I will stop in the visitor center and ask a few questions. Until then, on to other locations.

Ray
  • Options
    MeltdownMeltdown Posts: 8,673 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That sure looks like an interesting location!
    I can imagine the excitement of first coming up on that place nearly buried for and untouched for years.
    Very cool... Keep us posted on what you discover about the place. I'm curious what it was originaly.

What part of the country are you in again?
  • Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,544 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bet it took a bit of effort to get that car out of the hole.

bobimage
    Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options
    MeltdownMeltdown Posts: 8,673 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Bet it took a bit of effort to get that car out of the hole.

bobimage >>

Sounds like a good job for a kid with a stick. image
  • Options
    pcgs69pcgs69 Posts: 4,266 ✭✭✭✭
    That certainly looks interesting. Hopefully they'll tell you why Mding is off limits
  • Options
    gripgrip Posts: 9,962 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Looks promising,is all i have to say.