Home U.S. Coin Forum

Removing BU Wheat Cent rolls from Mehgrig tubes

For those of you who do not know, Meghrig tubes are first-generation coin tubes that are made of VERY thick plastic. After a while, they adhere to the coins making them virtually impossible to get out.

When I have these with silver in them, or circulated wheat cents, I threw them in the freezer for a while, put on a pair of safety goggles, and smashed them with a hammer.

I am concerned about doing this with these coins because of the condition, and the moisture problem since they are bronze.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Greg

Comments

• mrpaseomrpaseo Posts: 4,753 ✭✭✭
    Well, eliminate the ability for liquid saturated air to access the tubes... Find some way to put them in an air tight (Vacuum sealed) plastic bag or container. Then place them in the freezer. The plastic will transfer the cold but not the moisture.

Keep in mind you will never be able to remove 100% of the humidity (Think in the tube around the coins) so do not allow them to be in there any longer than need be.

Best of luck,
    Ray
  • halfcentmanhalfcentman Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭
    Good suggestion for starters, and maybe for enders.
  • DrPeteDrPete Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭
    I remember encountering these same tubes or something similar about 1975-1980. These tubes are made of plastic that really binds to the coins, I thought just from a tight fit. I remember trying to empty one of these tubes with a roll of uncirculated cents and getting all but the last one out; it was really stuck down in the bottom of the tube. I forcibly hit the open end against my small open safe with the lid up, and whacked hard. The cent stayed in the tube and the safe door slammed nearly shut on my hand and caused me all sorts of pain. I thought I had broken some fingers, but instead just managed to really whack them silly. I think I decided that this tube was now history and smashed it with a hammer ( partly in anger, mind you) and got my last 1960 uncirculated cent out, and transferred the coins to a looser-fitting screw top roll.

I am not a fan of those old tight-fitting plastic coin tubes.
    Dr. Pete
  • Dremel tool has worked very well for me. Just have to be careful image Have done this to 8 Lincoln cent rolls and did damage 1 coin.
  • MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭✭
    perhaps scoring the plastic will aid when it is cracked.

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • gripgrip Posts: 9,962 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Rotate them under a halogen light,this will expand the tube.
    Also heard hot boiling water works,the only one i tryed was
    the halogen.And it worked.
  • coindeucecoindeuce Posts: 13,471 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Try heating each tube with a hair dryer set to the highest heat setting. The heat does not readily transfer through the thick plastic, but does heat the plastic enough to expand it and soften it.

"Everything is on its way to somewhere. Everything." - George Malley, Phenomenon
    http://www.americanlegacycoins.com

• DAMDAM Posts: 2,410 ✭✭
    Found same question asked in 2005 on the web, with similar answers.

Dan

• << <i>Try heating each tube with a hair dryer set to the highest heat setting. The heat does not readily transfer through the thick plastic, but does heat the plastic enough to expand it and soften it. >>

+1

I hate these holders.

<< <i>

<< <i>Try heating each tube with a hair dryer set to the highest heat setting. The heat does not readily transfer through the thick plastic, but does heat the plastic enough to expand it and soften it. >>

+1

I hate these holders. >>

Put them in a vacuum-sealed bag, and then in the freezer overnight, and smashed them with a hammer. Came out like a thing of beauty with ZERO damage to the BU Cents.
  • coindeucecoindeuce Posts: 13,471 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>Try heating each tube with a hair dryer set to the highest heat setting. The heat does not readily transfer through the thick plastic, but does heat the plastic enough to expand it and soften it. >>

+1

I hate these holders. >>

Put them in a vacuum-sealed bag, and then in the freezer overnight, and smashed them with a hammer. Came out like a thing of beauty with ZERO damage to the BU Cents. >>

imageimage Hope you had a popsicle or a fudgesicle to celebrate! image

"Everything is on its way to somewhere. Everything." - George Malley, Phenomenon
    http://www.americanlegacycoins.com

imageimage Hope you had a popsicle or a fudgesicle to celebrate! image >>

I celebrated when I did not impale myself, or get a small piece of plastic wedged into my cornea!
  • CoinHoarderCoinHoarder Posts: 2,439 ✭✭✭✭✭

** OLD THREAD ALERT **

I was going to start a thread on Mehgrig coin tubes, but I see there already was one in 2012.

I would not even try to remove these 1959 and 1959-D cents from these tubes. Besides being extremely difficult to do, there really would be no reason to take them out. I think I paid about $1. each for these a very long time ago.

Mehgrig Cent Tube Pictures:

• AlanSkiAlanSki Posts: 1,780 ✭✭✭✭✭

Dremel is the easiest way to do it. I tried every other way and failed miserably. I ended up throwing the tube onto the floor and half the cents went everywhere while half were still stuck.

• thebeavthebeav Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭✭✭

I forgot about those damn things.
    Always hated them......

• LanceNewmanOCCLanceNewmanOCC Posts: 19,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MsMorrisine said:
    perhaps scoring the plastic will aid when it is cracked.

this is the method i ended up using when busting some 60-d rolls finding the lg/sm dates in red bu.

i passed recently on some of those rolls. just wasn't up for the dates i saw at the prices i saw.

scoring deeply + hammer and concrete yielded pcgs ms65rd 60-d lg/sm dates. the rolls usually post some rather large cracks allows some banging on a wood table to free them up. once the start, usually with persistence, the rest will follow.

i guess one could score + free + hammer + wood table.

OH MAN, just occurred to me to get the toothbrush out to help the rest come out. now i wish i'd bought a couple to try out.

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

• rmpsrpmsrmpsrpms Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭✭✭

I love Meghrig rolls! They are guaranteed unsearched since they were put up. I've found many gems and nice varieties in them over the years.

My method to open them is similar to others, but with a "twist":

I use a hacksaw, or in some cases a table saw, to score a notch into the side that is just shallow enough to not hit the coins. I then use a big screwdriver, twisting it in the notch, breaking the remaining material and splitting the roll open. No risk of condensation from freezing, or damaging the gem coins by shocking the roll with a hammer.

BTW @CoinHoarder, the pics you posted are NOT the type of rolls folks are talking about.

I bought a roll of 1955-S cents once where most of the coins had shallow cuts on their edges. I figure they were in a Meghrig roll, and the owner used a table saw or hacksaw but was not careful enough to not cut too deep. Nice coins otherwise, so it was a shame to see those edge notches, especially since I didn't get a discount for damaged coins. So be careful.

PM me for coin photography equipment, or visit my website:

http://macrocoins.com
  • rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

A co-worker once brought me a roll of those coins... seemed they were solidly adhered. I used a hair dryer and banged them on a table.... All but two came out, so did it a few more times and then they released. Never bought cents in one of those holders myself. Cheers, RickO

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file