Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

True Dealer Story 1

AMRCAMRC Posts: 4,266 ✭✭✭✭✭
I have decided I am going to post some of my more interesting coin deals. So this will be the first official one in a series.

Last week I got a call from a woman. She called in response to one of my mailers that advertises that I do fee based numismatic appraisals for estates. She told me she was the executor of her brothers estate and had some coins she needed to sell but felt she now needed an appraisal before she sold because of a bad experience she said she had with a B&M. I explained my fees and the difference between retail and wholesale values and we made an appointment for later the same day for me to come to her home.

When I arrived we all sat in the kitchen where all of the coins were laid out on the table. I did a cursory review of the coins and there was mostly graded bullion that telemarketer's generally sell to unwitting buyers for ridiculous premiums. There were some MS70 Canadian Proof coins that were graded by the third tier company, some 90%, Some other raw Silver coins and a handful of PCGS graded coins. I happened to see the invoice for one of those MS70 coins and it turns out the brother paid $395 each for them. He had bought 10. I grew a bit nauseous. As I took the time to look at everything she had and to enter the values in the spreadsheet she began to make comments about how the person at the coin shop looked at everything for a few seconds and began tossing the items around and began making comments like "this is just Silver," "these are not worth anything" and, well, I think you get the idea. She then pointed to one of the PCGS coins that was in a baggie and said "he looked at that and right away wrote $8,000 on the baggie." So of course that got my attention. I wanted to see this coin that the B&M offered $8,000 for. I mean the reality was that most of everything was just bullion so a value like that really did stand out. There was also 4 PCGS graded early commems.

The coin in the baggie was a 1885 PCGS MS66 3C Nickel and sure enough there was $8,000 written with a Sharpie right across the bag. I looked it up and the last one that sold had a CAC sticker and sold for $29,000. I told her a coin like this needs to be sold at auction to realize the highest and best price for the trust. I further explained that because I was a recognized dealer with Heritage I could put that coin in auction for her and she would be entitled to the whole amount of hammer as Heritage pays me a commission out of the buyers premium. I tallied up the rest of the collection and it added up to about $6,000 retail. She then asked me what I would pay for that part of the collection and I told her. She not only accepted my offer but gave me the other coin to put into auction for her. Needless to say I waived her appraisal fee. I left the home with a decent profit on the coins I bought, plus the commission I will get when I put that coin into auction. Needless to say it was a pretty good day for business. I really felt I got this deal because I came in, sat down, listened, and took the time to educate her and help her maximize the return for the estate, and not my own.

I am not sure about the logic around treating people who walk in with coins like is, but I have to say I hope the this B&M keep up the good work. They are the best thing for my business.

MLAeBayNumismatics: "The greatest hobby in the world!"

Comments

• Options
    coinkid855coinkid855 Posts: 5,012 ✭✭✭
    Great story! Thanks for sharing! image

-Paul
  • Options
    kimber45ACPkimber45ACP Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭
    You're a class act. Thanks for the good read.
  • Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,219 ✭✭✭✭✭
    you can't do this!

8k coin
    29k coin

auction.

ballpark... where did it finish???!!!
    Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    CoinJunkieCoinJunkie Posts: 8,772 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for posting. I'm looking forward to the rest of the series.
  • Options
    MoldnutMoldnut Posts: 3,082 ✭✭✭✭
    image Thanks for posting your story.
    Derek

EAC 6024
  • Options
    ebaybuyerebaybuyer Posts: 2,984 ✭✭✭
    evidence that not all dealers are crooks. sounds like she is the one that got lucky, she found someone that treated her fairly.
    regardless of how many posts I have, I don't consider myself an "expert" at anything
  • Options
    WhiteTornadoWhiteTornado Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭
    Cool story, thanks for sharing. image
  • Options
    kazkaz Posts: 9,067 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That was a great read. The one coin will make up for a whole lot of dubious buying decisions by the deceased. Thankfully, you entered the picture. image
  • Options

<< <i>you can't do this!

8k coin
    29k coin

auction.

ballpark... where did it finish???!!! >>

This was last week. Auction has not occurred yet.
  • Options
    fivecentsfivecents Posts: 11,207 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great story AMRC. I look foward to reading more stories in the future.
  • Options
    nwcoastnwcoast Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Fun read and very good example of how honesty and courtrsy can go a LONG way in customer relations and business.
    It should be obvious that potential sellers don't want their noses rubbed in their or their relatives poor purchasing decisions, yet I've seen it far too often.

It's a pleasant relief to see the other 'side of the coin'.

Thank you and I look forward to additional installments.

Happy, humble, honored and proud recipient of the “You Suck” award 10/22/2014

• Options
    goldengolden Posts: 9,069 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Good story.
  • Options
    SeattleSlammerSeattleSlammer Posts: 9,959 ✭✭✭✭✭
    How does the 3C look? Toned, white, solid 66?
  • Options

<< <i>How does the 3C look? Toned, white, solid 66? >>

All white. It was in an old holder so off to PCGS it went. I think it may have a shot at a plus. When it comes back from there it goes to CAC. I call it processing. image
  • Options
    astroratastrorat Posts: 9,221 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very nice story.
    Numismatist Ordinaire
    See http://www.doubledimes.com for a free online reference for US twenty-cent pieces
  • Options
    keyman64keyman64 Posts: 15,456 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well done!
    "If it's not fun, it's not worth it." - KeyMan64
    Looking for Top Pop Mercury Dime Varieties & High Grade Mercury Dime Toners. :smile:
  • Options
    SaorAlbaSaorAlba Posts: 7,481 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

I am not sure about the logic around treating people who walk in with coins like is, but I have to say I hope the this B&M keep up the good work. They are the best thing for my business. >>

Yeah they may well be good for your business - but I am sure they sour more than a few people on coins though. But your being on the up and up does far more for the hobby and I am sure she will share her positive experiences - good karma goes much farther than snarfy deals like the B&M example.
    In memory of my kitty Seryozha 14.2.1996 ~ 13.9.2016 and Shadow 3.4.2015 - 16.4.21
  • Options
    LVGTLVGT Posts: 503
    Great story
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,444 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great story. It sure paid to advertise. Who was the dealer that offered her $8000 for that coin? Dealers like that deserve some free publicity here.image

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    DoubleEagle59DoubleEagle59 Posts: 8,200 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Your experience makes sense to me.

Honesty and integrity goes a long way in business.
    "Gold is money, and nothing else" (JP Morgan, 1912)

"“Those who sacrifice liberty for security/safety deserve neither.“(Benjamin Franklin)

"I only golf on days that end in 'Y'" (DE59)
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great story and thanks for posting. There are really great dealers out there, unfortunately, much like lawyers, a few give the rest a bad reputation. The good ones are really valued though. Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    guitarwesguitarwes Posts: 9,240 ✭✭✭

Great story with a great ending.

The hotel buyers are good for business with my local B&M dealer. After getting what he felt was a sour offer from the traveling hotel buyer's, a guy walked in with $2900 face value of 90% coins in a pillowcase once that were put up in the late 50's. Needless to say he was surprised how much the hotel buyers were gonna rip him a new one and was thankful that he had heard of this coin shop on the radio.

@ Elite CNC Routing & Woodworks on Facebook. Check out my work.
    Too many positive BST transactions with too many members to list.
  • Options
    Just want to make clear that I do not consider what the dealer was doing as a rip, or that any dealer should do what I do. Everyone has different cost models. I was in Santa Monica yesterday and noticed that the old Wilshire Coins was shuttered and had "For Lease" placards in the window. I called the agent and he told me that the rent for the 2,100 sq.ft. office was $9,800 a month. I was dizzy when I hung up. Imagine the pressure on margins just to pay the rent. Obviously it was no longer a place for a coin shop, but still I like to think that my value add to a client comes from my "low-cost" business model.
  • Options
    roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Considering that 64+ CAC specimens have fetched around $8,000, I guess $8K for a MS66 is pretty lousy. Even a cac NGC66 recently brought over $20,000.
    And a rattler PCGS MS65 also reached $20,000+.

What I think many B&M's would have done with that group of coins was to offer strong on the silver items, and then try to get the 3cn on the cheap side.
    While I don't condone that, it's probably how most others would have approached it. Those guys tried to get both parts of the deal cheap.
    If $8K for a coin that is worth no less than $20K all day long is not a rip, I'm not sure what is. Just because a shop has a big rent to pay doesn't necessarily
    entitle them to pay 25c to 30c on the dollar. There are plenty of shops doing quite well w/o paying 25% on better rare coins. But I've seen that at my local
    shop as well. In that instance several very rare mint state 20th century US gold coins came into the shop raw and were purchased for 30%. Their wholesale
    value at that time was around $80,000 for the group. In this case there was no AMRC or anyone else to get the word out.
    Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
  • Options
    MFHMFH Posts: 11,720 ✭✭✭✭

Armenia, thank you for sharing that story, and am glad that it had a happy ending for
    all concerned; it's very unusual to find so esoteric a valuable coin amongst the clutter.

Looking forward to your class this Summer, I have already signed up for it. Myself and
    Glenn Holsonbake are co-instructors at another 2nd Session Course, The Coinage of
    Charles Barber.

See you in Colorado.
    Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Coin collecting is not a hobby, it's an obsession !

New Barber Purchases
  • Options
    coolestcoolest Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭
    How is a $20,000 coin mixed in with silver?
    Any chance it was minted in china?

• Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,444 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>How is a $20,000 coin mixed in with silver?
    Any chance it was minted in china? >>

It was in a PCGS slab but I guess there's a slim chance that the slab could also be counterfeit.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    Yeah my first reaction was counterfeit also. If the original collector was naive enough to spend money on telemarketer scams, how do we know he would be able/willing to drop 20k+ on a coin? Maybe the 8K was an offer based on the risk the dealer was taking associated with it possibly being a counterfeit.
  • Options
    DennisHDennisH Posts: 13,963 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for sharing!
    This is good stuff. I eagerly look forward to more of your first-hand accounts.
    When in doubt, don't.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>How is a $20,000 coin mixed in with silver?
    Any chance it was minted in china? >>

It was in a PCGS slab but I guess there's a slim chance that the slab could also be counterfeit. >>

Hence the reason for the "process" (going to PCGS and CAC) as discussed earlier as you are absolutely right!
  • Options
    littlebearlittlebear Posts: 1,446 ✭✭✭✭
    Thank you for a wonderful story! Character and integrity are everything, no matter which side of the table one is on.

Larry L.

Autism Awareness: There is no limit to the good you can do, if you don't care who gets the credit.
  • Options
    I know it's probably wrong, but I enjoy hearing about how some knucklehead got bushwhacked.

Maybe they read this board.

Good on you for the time and effort you took. It's a good example.
  • Options
    natetrooknatetrook Posts: 610 ✭✭✭
    Damn. I should of written $9,000 on the baggie.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file