Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

Open letter to Davalillo

This post is strictly my opinion and comes about after months of personnel thought and is no way a personnel attack. This hobby is at times to most of us a humbling pursuit and a sense of pride and accomplishment. We all have levels in which we can afford to participate and priorities in which we chose to invest. This transcends all hobbies from coins to RC vehicles and of course cards. There will always be those who can afford the absolute best and set the standard for what we could at the time consider the pinnacle of that item or items as did "fightforoldDC" accomplished. There is also the pursuit of multiple and wide ranging items that touched all points of a hobby the way "MOSH" did.
Which brings me to the reason for this post. When a great collector who has the means to put together set upon set graded or un-graded, and is justifiably proud of his accomplishment, constantly post after post, has to announce his newest conquest to the world of which I doubt most really care and fewer and fewer are standing up to give applause, they may want to consider the appearance of narcissism or conceitedness. I have no personnel opinion of the person and I am impressed with the collection, but to constantly hit the rest of us over the head saying "look at me, look at me" gives the impression of something more than pride. I want to give you a sincere salute to your collection and wish you many more years of success collecting, but how about your next accomplishment post being about set number 150 or even 200. image
Any team on any given Sunday, can beat any other team...unless they were playing the Miami Dolphins in 1972.

Comments

• Options
    DavalilloDavalillo Posts: 1,846 ✭✭
    Ncdolfan,

The best thing for you is to ignore my posts. I try to make them interesting and informative but if you don't like them that's fine. Each set is different and the quest is different. From time to time someone raises a similar point. The response has been for me to continue. Enjoy the hobby the way you want to.

Jim
  • Options
    vettfanaticvettfanatic Posts: 643 ✭✭✭
    I like Davalillo's post. I think its great that a collector of his stature actually takes the time to write on a message board like any other passionate collector. Just because he has more money then most of us doesn't mean he cares less about the hobby and is trying to show off. I wish more big collectors like Donald Spence and Marshall Fogel would post. With comments such as yours however they would probably just assume stay away. I remember reading a post about how Jim went to a Lady Gaga concert. It had nothing to do with cards and he was just sharing something about his life. I believe he's also very passionate about music. I hope he continues to post as I can live vicariously through him. It posts like yours that I can do without.
  • Options
    BunkerBunker Posts: 3,926
    I personally look forward to Davalillo's progress and don't see it as bragging or a "Look at me" type of post.

I also look forward to his comments about which cards are tough to find etc. I would actually love to see some pictures of his collection or scans of the tough cards after he finally gets them.

BTW, to my knowledge this is the first time I have ever posted in a thread about Davallio so I can't be considered a "fanboy"

Edit To Add: I agree with this from the post above mine. As a matter of fact their are a few guys who are regulars that won't post an image or talk about their latest pick-ups for the same reason.

I wish more big collectors like Donald Spence and Marshall Fogel would post. With comments such as yours however they would probably just assume stay away

My daughter was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes at the age of 2 (2003). My son was diagnosed with Type 1 when he was 17 on December 31, 2009. We were stunned that another child of ours had been diagnosed. Please, if you don't have a favorite charity, consider giving to the JDRF (Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation)

JDRF Donation
  • Options
    BlackieBlackie Posts: 1,719 ✭✭✭
    I too enjoy the posts even though the PSA holders are uglier than a 9th street hooker. People share the hobby in different ways... Hell thats why freedoms are fought for

Semper Fi
    1964 Topps Football
  • Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,521 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you find his posts annoying, why bother reading or taking time to post about them? I think sharing your collection, big or small, is what these boards are all about. It would be different if Dav were ridiculing or belittling others' collections in the process, but I don't believe that is the case here.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    Dpeck100Dpeck100 Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This is my first time posting in the PSA Set Registry Forum after seeing a thread about this one in the Sports Card and Memorabilia board.

Dude you need to get a life. This collector you are referencing is just showcasing his cards like anyone else. He just happens to have a lot more.

Quite being a hater and to Davalillo don't let clowns like this keep you from sharing your cards and thoughts.

• Options
    NCD,

I think Jim should get some slack here. The guy even has parties at his house to let others see his cards.

Learn to rejoice with those who are rejoicing. Jealousy, contention, and strife will always miss the mark.

Jim, congrats on your sets, and happy hunting !

PM
  • Options
    We all have our opinions and our right to them. Again this comes from a set registry member who keeps his sets completely "off" 8-9 months a year and then turns them on just for the end of May. If the norm of this forum was for some to most collectors to post everytime they graded a 1 of 1 or completed a set, then the poster that I have referenced would just blend in. If you wanted to really make the posts interesting each time, then post only about the set and include some pictures to make it worthy of review instead of everytime posting a updated list of your sets. image
    Any team on any given Sunday, can beat any other team...unless they were playing the Miami Dolphins in 1972.
  • Options
    Same as Dpeck... First post over here...

Guys - if you don't like something it's simple, don't click on the thread.

Move on and don't read it.

I do a TON on craigslist, I find interesting stuff.... I post about it... Sometimes it's $10, sometimes it's $2000... Who cares, appreciate what is being posted and don't care so much about the money.

I'm sure Jim is just as proud of his collection as you are of yours even if the values are different.

On that note, I do see what you are talking about; however, I just think it needs to be consolidated... Maybe if you shot him a PM and asked you would have had a better chance than posting a thread like this. I don't find much annoying and don't let forums get to me anymore so it doesn't matter but I can see how someone would find it annoying (Each card each set).... But it is a hobby, and hobbies are supposed to eat up your time so you don't do other dangerous things... So let him be and just pass on his threads - means you have less to read.
  • Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I can see how some may view what Jim is doing as "bragging" - but hardly narcism. And what some may see as bragging is just his pride and pleasure with his pursuit and wants to share it here.

The way Jim posts is the way Jim posts.

Jim will surly tell you that I once got pissed at him and went at him with a vengeance - and it was wrong - and most would definitely consider me a level headed guy.

I appreciate the effort that Jim puts forth.

And for those who think he could "jazz" it up a bit on the post - it's sorely noted that Jim couldn't scan and post if his life depended on it.

Moreover - while some enjoy sharing of themselves - going a bit OT here and there - that's "not" Jim.

So, in closing - I'm in agreement with those above - Jim's threads have two speeds: on and off. Choose one and enjoy the hobby! image
    Mike
  • Options
    Mike,

You know me as well as anyone. Maybe better. I never remember you getting mad at me but then again I forget a lot of the stuff that is said here. If Ncdolfan wants to see pictures of my cards I do have a blog where I talk about my top 1500 songs of all time plus put up scans of my cards. As you say though I couldn't put up a scan if my life depended on it. I have to wait for my son or daughter to visit and ask them to do it for me. Thanks for the support from my hobby friends. I have often been controversial but i never recall having my posts called boring. Will try harder to make them more interesting.

JIM
  • Options

<< <i>Mike,

You know me as well as anyone. Maybe better. I never remember you getting mad at me but then again I forget a lot of the stuff that is said here. If Ncdolfan wants to see pictures of my cards I do have a blog where I talk about my top 1500 songs of all time plus put up scans of my cards. As you say though I couldn't put up a scan if my life depended on it. I have to wait for my son or daughter to visit and ask them to do it for me. Thanks for the support from my hobby friends. I have often been controversial but i never recall having my posts called boring. Will try harder to make them more interesting.

JIM >>

Any time Jim.

Wanna "jazz" it up a bit? This'll work every time!

imageimageimage

Mike
  • Options
    FavreFan1971FavreFan1971 Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭
    Paul,

You said "Again this comes from a set registry member who keeps his sets completely "off" 8-9 months a year and then turns them on just for the end of May" Ummm. you dont hide your 1972 Dolphins football set all year except in May.
  • Options
    PowderedH2OPowderedH2O Posts: 2,443 ✭✭
    He means like when he (NCDOLFAN) unretires sets the day before the end of May awards so that he receives an award and then re-retires it a few days later.
    Successful dealings with shootybabitt, LarryP, Doctor K, thedutymon, billsgridirongreats, fattymacs, shagrotn77, pclpads, JMDVM, gumbyfan, itzagoner, rexvos, al032184, gregm13, californiacards3, mccardguy1, BigDaddyBowman, bigreddog, bobbyw8469, burke23, detroitfan2, drewsef, jeff8877, markmac, Goldlabels, swartz1, blee1, EarlsWorld, gseaman25, kcballboy, jimrad, leadoff4, weinhold, Mphilking, milbroco, msassin, meteoriteguy, rbeaton and gameusedhoop.
  • Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    The best thing for you is to ignore my posts. I try to make them interesting and informative but if you don't like them that's fine. Each set is different and the quest is different. From time to time someone raises a similar point. The response has been for me to continue. Enjoy the hobby the way you want to.

Good for you.
  • Options
    YogiBerraFanYogiBerraFan Posts: 2,390 ✭✭
    Rich, poor, or in between sports and sports cards are for everyone. There is a card condition for pretty much every budget. Buy what you enjoy and can afford. Share and revel in your own collection while enjoying the collections of others at the same time. True collectors know this already but sometimes we can get sidetracked and forget for a moment.
  • Options
    MCMLVToppsMCMLVTopps Posts: 4,611 ✭✭✭✭✭
    my 2 cents...

I don't know Jim Crandal in a personal sense, but have emailed with him a time or two. He provided me insight into a specific issue I was pondering and his guidance was spot on. I consider him a friend via the boards. His advice BTW found me with many more Benjamins in my pocket than I otherwise might have obtained.

That Jim has the where-with-all to continue to amass a very impressive collection I say good on him! I have always found his posts to be interesting and don't take them as bragging, or "hey, look at me". I am not jealous, nor envious. I once had the 14th best 1955 Topps in the Registry and had almost $50k in the set...pretty much as deep as my wallet could go...that Jim can run circles around me with his collection is fine with me.

It musth've really put a burr under the OPs saddle for him to write as he did. Perhaps better he simmered in private...especially the This post is strictly my opinion and comes about after months of personnel thought and is no way a personnel attack. That the OP actually gave this "months of personnel (I guess he meant personal) thought, is kinda bizzarro to me. There are very few things on this planet that bug me, and the fact that Jim Crandal has a bazillion dollars in a huge collection ain't one of them.

I say, find another hobby, chill out and admire the accomplishment, not dump on the man because you are obviously jealous.

If you read this Jim...hope you and the family are well...if ever you get neat Lanier, shoot me a PM...Crown Royal on me. Al.

• Options
    BrickBrick Posts: 4,938 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I enjoy reading of other collectors accomplishments both large and small. I don't much care for sour grapes.
    Collecting 1960 Topps Baseball in PSA 8
    http://www.unisquare.com/store/brick/

Ralph

• Options
    bxbbxb Posts: 805 ✭✭

<< <i>I enjoy reading of other collectors accomplishments both large and small. I don't much care for sour grapes. >>

Agreed.

Some pictures would be nice though, especially the tougher cards. Jim, you need to take a 2 day computer course!
    Capecards
  • Options
    JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,214 ✭✭✭✭✭
    A few month ago, I asked another board member his opinion on something. Part of his answer included asking me why I didn't post pictures of my cards. I hadn't thought about it much, but he sort of chastised me a bit, saying it would be nice for me to share, so I did.

Seems to me, anyone who can accomplish these impressive collections would have the ability to learn how to post a few scans of his favorite, or toughest, or final cards in that set, to make it a little more enjoyable for the reader. Either way, congratulations to Davalillo on an impressive collection.

Another thing I just learned, is that some of the registry guys "hide" their sets, only showing them when it's award time, that seems rather lame, but to each his own.

Every one likes to have the best and/or likes to "win" so there will always be some hard feelings about any kind of competition.

Have fun with the hobby!

Joe
    2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options
    calaban7calaban7 Posts: 3,002 ✭✭✭
    I've know Jim for a good while , since I've been on these boards . We've been friends here and off the boards . Yes he has the means to collect the sets he does , but when its all said and done , he loves his family , loves his friends and is a like minded collector , like most here .

I have some VERY nice sets and to hear from Jim , now and then , on and off the boards , about my sets , means an awful lot to me . He know as most that collect as well , that its hard to find all the cards we desire . Its hard to find the quality we might be looking for . I've seen him pass on an overpriced card . Yes he operates on a different type of budget as me , but I've learned that he has respect for where most other collectors are .

I think its great when Jim posts his conquests . To see others that have goals in what their doing , then go out and do them , speaks mostly of character , to me . His adding complete sets , helps in its own way , to keep me focused on my collecting goals.

I'm not sure what your ( NCD ) primary issue is , and you're surely intitled to your opinion , but I'm not too sure how much sympathy you're going to get on these boards . My hope is that Jim continues to post his sets as they are completed , as for the most part , that's why most on these boards are here , to enjoy the collecting .

Thanks for your concerns ( NCD ) and I hope you have a better day.---- Sonny
    " In a time of universal deceit , telling the truth is a revolutionary act " --- George Orwell
  • Options
    elsnortoelsnorto Posts: 2,013
    If you're having card problems, I feel bad for you son. I got 99 problems, but Davalillo ain't one. image

Maybe I haven't followed all of Jim's posts closely enough, but I have never felt as though he was bragging... just sharing his love of the hobby and his accomplishments in it with others who may appreciate it.

I too find it odd you have been contemplating this issue for months. Have you equally contemplated why it bothers you that much?

And as far as Jim posting scans, given the funds it takes to amass such a collection, I am certain it is lack of time and not ability that is the challenge.

Snorto~

edit to add: I can understand those who have suggested a consolidated thread, but given the Registry board's low volume, I don't see it as much of a necessity as on BST for example.
  • Options
    corvette1340corvette1340 Posts: 3,384 ✭✭✭
    lol, I thought someone said there was drama over here? This is like kids play to me.
  • Options
    jeffcbayjeffcbay Posts: 8,948 ✭✭✭✭
    personnel (per·son·nel): a body of persons employed in an organization or place of work.

personal (per·son·al): of, pertaining to, or coming as from a particular person; individual; private: a personal opinion.
  • Options
    For most scanning and posting is like breathing.

But, there's some really big collectors that I personally know that almost 'fear' the computer and are very intelligent and accomplished.

I'm not making excuses for anyone - just making an observation.
    Mike
  • Options
    Some of you get it and some don't. This is not about the money. It could as easily be about Jim having one set (and Jim this is not a personel attack, just as an observation) and posting a new thread about each card in the set he aquired. Thinking about this for months is more like watching. Jim has started a new thread for each of his new completed sets and when I come to the Set Registry forum and on page one, I see 4 new set completion threads. I don't think anybody could complain about a single updated thread with your sets, one that could offer alot of info on especially the uncommon cards. We are all proud about our hobby and accomplishments, posting about every single one just seems a little... Jim I apoligize if I have offended you. Just a different point of view to posting.
  • Options

<< <i>Some of you get it and some don't. This is not about the money. It could as easily be about Jim having one set (and Jim this is not a personnel attack, just as an observation) and posting a new thread about each card in the set he aquired. Thinking about this for months is more like watching. Jim has started a new thread for each of his new completed sets and when I come to the Set Registry forum and on page one, I see 4 new set completion threads. I don't think anybody could complain about a single updated thread with your sets, one that could offer alot of info on especially the uncommon cards. We are all proud about our hobby and accomplishments, posting about every single one just seems a little... Jim I apoligize if I have offended you. Just a different point of view to posting. >>

Hi NC

I respect your individual courage to come out and speak your mind and think you've done it in a respectful manner.

However, we all pay the same dues to be here and if Jim wants to start five threads to keep each accomplishment separate? What's the harm? I know of some people who never post anything informative and only post "covert" spam or complaints about ebay - and I respect their right to do so.

Is this really bothering you "that" much? I've come here to visit - and more times than not - I don't see a Dav post anywhere.

Ya know? If I finished 3 sets the same week - each of which I was working on for many, many years? I would consider separate threads also - after all - we all could use that extra-special attention from time to time? image
    Mike
  • Options
    Stop trying to reinvent your story and pretending the board is split.

I announce my sets when I complete them. If you go back until about set 30, after I complete the set I post a thread. I do it every time. Partly because I finished a number of sets close to each other and partly because I have been busy at work I used the weekend to catch up. End of story. I try to make the threads interesting. Most think they are as you have read.

The solution for you is simple. Don't read my posts.
  • Options
    It is an internet message board about card collecting. If someone wants to share their hard work it is their right.

The best thing about the PSA message boards is the show and tell.

I am sorry you are a hater and a jealous person but please understand the vast majority of us appreciate the task of collecting a set of cards that is special to us. Just because he happens to be an advanced collector and can afford a great deal more cards then most, does not take away from the thrill of finding a card you really need.

Many on these boards live vicariously through collectors such as the person you started this thread about.

Crawl back into your hole of hatred and let this man enjoy his past time. Guys like you just need to go away. If you don't like what you see either don't open it or just move onto the next thread. Period.

• Options
    Mickey71Mickey71 Posts: 4,234 ✭✭✭✭
    Open letter to Davalillo.........one hell of a collection. Post away Jim. Can I come over and teach you how to scan? I will only charge you the price of looking at your sets.image
  • Options

<< <i>Crawl back into your hole of hatred and let this man enjoy his past time. Guys like you just need to go away. If you don't like what you see either don't open it or just move onto the next thread. Period. >>

David, I think you're being a little hard on the OP here. He saw an ongoing practice that bothered him; he simply pointed it out publicly. He didn't do it in a disrespectful way.
    Just because most here seem not to agree with him doesn't automatically make him a troll or a 'hater'.

By the way, I have no particular opinion one way or the other on the practice that is being called into question.
    'Sir, I realize it's been difficult for you to sleep at night without your EX/MT 1977 Topps Tom Seaver, but I swear to you that you'll get it safe and sound.'
    -CDs Nuts, 1/20/14

*1956 Topps baseball- 97.4% complete, 7.24 GPA
    *Clemente basic set: 85.0% complete, 7.89 GPA
  • Options
    Perhaps I am.

I just think the non stop hating on message boards is simply stupid.

The idea that someone has thought about writing this thread for a long time and it is directed towards someone that has a great collection to me is what has prompted me to even respond.

This hobby was meant to be fun. It does not matter if you collect 1988 Topps or 1952 Topps you are buying cardboard images of someone you like.

I collect guys that ran around in little tights but could kick your a++ in real life. I don't judge what people collect and I appreciate anyone that cares enough to spend their hard earned cash on trading cards.

I just don't see the need for anything negative on these boards.
  • Options
    jeffcbayjeffcbay Posts: 8,948 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>(and Jim this is not a personel attack, just as an observation) >>

Almost there... I believe the word you are looking for is "personal". Personal. When Windows puts a red underline under a big word, that doesn't mean you did something awesome.

Carry on.
  • Options
    GDM67GDM67 Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i> When Windows puts a red underline under a big word, that doesn't mean you did something awesome. >>

• Options
    TheDudeAbidesTheDudeAbides Posts: 400 ✭✭✭
    I have no problem with Jim's posts. In fact, I helped him complete one of those sets some years ago ... (70 Supers Baseball). I've seen some good people/collectors leave these boards that I really miss. Gone are their insights, lessons learned, and help that they provided in completing some of my sets and others with theirs. Let's not drive people away, they are the life blood of this hobby. Jim's collection is a love affair, and many of our wallets are thicker do to his efforts, let's keep him around to enlighten our collecting minds as well.
    Collecting 64, 66, 67, 70 & 71 Baseball. Cubs, wax, cello & rack baseball.
  • Options
    gemintgemint Posts: 6,069 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I still don't understand what the problem is with Jim making separate threads for each set he completes. It's not like this is the BST forum where multiple posts from one user can drive other people's for sale ads to the next page. The registry forum is in serious need of having life injected into it. We're lucky if we get a page turn here in an entire week. Instead of complaining, why not post something cool about a set to inject more life into this forum? This used to be a pretty hopping forum years ago. I only wish there were more posts like Jim's on here to keep people visiting.
  • Options
    JasonM32JasonM32 Posts: 170 ✭✭
    I personally like it when people share and post their collections. For me, more threads and more action on the site is better. I don't have unlimited funds to dedicate to my collection so I kinda live vicariously through those folks that have really impressive sets while I build my humble sets. That's my two cents worth.

Bernie Kosar collector

• Options
    jay0791jay0791 Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭✭
    4 threads or 1 longer one...whats the difference?

My wife and friends are not into card collecting. In fact she frowns upon me spending hard earned money on a piece of cardboard.
    The PSA board is a way for me to enjoy this hobby with others who feel the same way I do.
    I am fortunate there are people out there to share with. Collectively we all keep this hobby going.

Many start threads for many reasons: asking for money/donations, cards to buy/for sale, prayers, ect.
    click on what you want to read and pass on what you don't.

As a FB RC collector we all saw Jon (fight4olddc) come and outbid everyone on the premium cards. Soon it became a one man band.
    we went from damm we can't ever beat that guy to 'I think something special is happening here." I know I will never be in the top 5 of many of the sets I collect.
    That doesn't bother me at all. Congrats to those that are.

I don't feel antimocity at all about someone announcing a completed set.
    Collecting PSA... FB,BK,HK,and BB HOF RC sets
    1948-76 Topps FB Sets
    FB & BB HOF Player sets
    1948-1993 NY Yankee Team Sets
  • Options
    19541954 Posts: 2,866 ✭✭✭
    Jim,
    I wanted to step in and say that I enjoy reading your posts and your accomplishments. My only post that I wish you would add in addition to your finished lists would be a post that told us what cards you need to finish a certain set. Many collectors might feel that you are trying to rub it in, however I don't have those same thoughts. Keep up the good work.

Shane
    Looking for high grade rookie cards and unopened boxes/cases
  • Options
    jradke4jradke4 Posts: 3,573 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Some of you get it and some don't. This is not about the money. It could as easily be about Jim having one set (and Jim this is not a personel attack, just as an observation) and posting a new thread about each card in the set he aquired. Thinking about this for months is more like watching. Jim has started a new thread for each of his new completed sets and when I come to the Set Registry forum and on page one, I see 4 new set completion threads. I don't think anybody could complain about a single updated thread with your sets, one that could offer alot of info on especially the uncommon cards. We are all proud about our hobby and accomplishments, posting about every single one just seems a little... Jim I apoligize if I have offended you. Just a different point of view to posting. >>

i have read some of his posts in the past and have always found them great. it fun to here how people are reaching their goals. maybe part of his reasoning for post his completed sets is that he has people from these boards that are helping him out. if so, i am sure they would want to know that he is done collecting a particular set so if they come across a card from that set that would meet his grading needs they might not pick it up.
    Packers Fan for Life
    Collecting:
    Brett Favre Master Set
    Favre Ticket Stubs
    Favre TD Reciever Autos
    Football HOF Player/etc. Auto Set
    Football HOF Rc's
  • Options
    BasiloneBasilone Posts: 2,492 ✭✭
    "If you're having card problems, I feel bad for you son. I got 99 problems, but Davalillo ain't one. "

Best. Line. Ever.

I enjoy Dav's posts. He is a passionate collector and wants to share his passion with others...nothing wrong with that in my book.

Keep the posts coming Jim!

John

• Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,492 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ive said this before and I will say it again. Even if you have unlimited funds its still alot of work to put vintage card sets together in psa 8 or better, there is a ton of work involved for yourself or the person you hire to find the cards.

This hobby is filled with greedy money hungry folks who try to gauge people, Mr. Crandell does not do this as far as I know so he is simply a guy sharing his collection and there is no harm in that.

• Options
    cards651cards651 Posts: 665 ✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Crawl back into your hole of hatred and let this man enjoy his past time. Guys like you just need to go away. If you don't like what you see either don't open it or just move onto the next thread. Period. >>

David, I think you're being a little hard on the OP here. He saw an ongoing practice that bothered him; he simply pointed it out publicly. He didn't do it in a disrespectful way.
    Just because most here seem not to agree with him doesn't automatically make him a troll or a 'hater'.

By the way, I have no particular opinion one way or the other on the practice that is being called into question. >>

I agree with Walter on this. The OP is clearly in the minority but he deserves a voice. When the board attacks like this, others are less inclined to provide their opinion for fear of similar attack. More posts on the Registry Forum would make it more interesting as others have noted. I enjoy Davalillo's posts but I also enjoyed the NFL player who took out a sharpie to sign the football after scoring a touchdown. There's always a fine line between celebrating success and showboating.
  • Options
    "This used to be a pretty hoppin' forum years ago"--Gemint.

Boy did it ever. People posting under multiple identities, getting thrown off the board, lots of drama--caused a new sportscard board to be founded and this one has never been the same. I am happy that everyone has to post under one identity now but a little more life would help as well.

I am not as close to all the inside stuff of the hobby as I used to be so I cannot see me posting about card alteration and the related drama around it but perhaps I can try to make it more interesting.

I would like to also point out that when I completed my 100th vintage set that I made a list of collectors who have helped me along the way. If one were to look back at my old posts when I completed sets I always cited who helped me. There is a long list of collectors and dealers who have helped me including some of the people who have posted here.

I have averaged just over one set completion per month since I began posting. Sometimes I get lucky and complete 3 or 4 near each other--sometimes I go 2-3 months without a completion. Sometimes I cannot get an e-mail up because I am working which takes a lot of my time...and while I have more disposable income to spend on cards than most, I have made it all myself and do not come from money. If this causes someone angst and to deliberate months over posting an e-mail criticizing me I'm sorry.

Last thing I would like to say is to John Basilone--"you have a wonderful little girl...and I enjoy reading about how great of a dad you are to her on facebook."

Thanks again to all my collecting friends.

Jim
  • Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    Another thing about Jim that many might not know about is that for a few years
    he would open up his home so people could see his cards, bbq and meet one another.

He did not know me from Adam and I was invited. Sadly I did not go, the reason
    he does not post pictures is because (correct me if I'm wrong Jim) he simply does not
    know how.

Also did I understand this about the OP correctly? You un retire your set(s)
    only so you can win an award? Really? lol

Lastly, Jim, keep on posting your progress, some of us want to know how it's progressing.

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options
    Count me in the lot that always enjoys the updates.

Ive been following Jim's quests for nearly 10 years now and have even helped him in his quest, albeit in just a small microscopic way.

I dont spend a lot of time on CU these days. But when I do, I always look for the updates and smile when I read them.

Keith
  • Options
    Steve,

I still give tours but recently they have been to little league teams, church groups or sorority ladies. Still have an occasional one off vist from a collector or dealer but that is the exception. I would be happy to host a tour some weekend day or evening if anyone is interested in coming to new jersey.

Jim
  • Options
    GriffinsGriffins Posts: 6,076 ✭✭✭
    Count me in as another one who strongly disagrees with the OP's post. If a thread doesn't interest you, skip it. But don't attempt to shut down the poster for the rest of us just because you don't like his perspective- or are jealous of his collection.

Jim set his goal of 100 sets in PSA 8 or better on this board many years ago, when it was a lot livelier and had a lot of knowledge being spread around. Unfortunately the board has changed a lot over the years and this particular sub forum doesn't get nearly the traffic it used to. I enjoy hearing about someones commitment, passion, and dedication to a goal and have always been amazed as Jim got closer to his goal- and subsequently surpassed it. In virtually every thread he thanks whoever helped put him over the top.

As Steve has said, Jim in person is a very generous guy- he's issued open invitations to anyone to see his collection, has hosted at least a few BBQ's at his house for anyone on these boards, whether he knows you or not. And I can vouch it's incredibly tough to get a dinner check when out with him- after about 6 tries I finally lucked out that he doesn't speak Spanish and was able to make an end run that way.

He's also very generous with his knowledge both of cards and of business, and taught me a few things enabled me to grow my business tremendously.

So he doesn't post scans, lots of people don't. I'd suggest you follow his cards and music blog, you'll find he's pretty hip for an old guy image and see some great cards.

Lastly, I'll agree with Shane that I would like to see a wantlist just as much as a completion list- you never know who has that one card tucked away.

Here's to the next 100 sets Jim!

Always looking for Topps Salesman Samples, pre '51 unopened packs, E90-2, E91a, N690 Kalamazoo Bats, and T204 Square Frame Ramly's

• Options
    Anthony,

You are truly one of the great guys in the hobby. But on my next trip I am buying dinner.

Jim
  • Options
    Isn't it about collecting cards and having fun?

That's what this board is about, right? Talking about our registry goals, needs, and accomplishments?

I personnally have a problem when people try to post items for sale on this board, not what they've accomplished in relation to the registry. I think Jim is showing his gratitude to the hobby community for helping him finish the set whether it be dealers, or certain collectors that have helped him complete the set.

I've never spoken to Jim, but I've spoken to other collectors, some of whom dominate the registry, and the amount of knowledge many of the board members have is incredible. The amount of information I've learned from them is priceless, and I gather Jim is similar.

Let's have some fun!!

Good luck to everyone in their collecting endeavors!!

Buying 1957 Baseball PSA 8 or higher. Especially Checklists, and Contest Cards. Topps1957psa8set@aol.com