Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

The card market has to be strong, LQQK at this Jerry Rice PSA 10 Rookie, WOW!

Comments

• Options
    wrestlingcardkingwrestlingcardking Posts: 4,555 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>The price of the rice Psa 10 is a bubble. I don't see this card remaining at $10k in a few years. Watch when the economy goes down and stock market drops this rice Psa 10 rookie will drop down to the $5k area. >>

I respectfully predict your prediction will be wrong.

In a few years I'll forget we ever had this discussion and Dpeck will remember to bump this thread. >>

Sounds like you own this card. If so you best hope your prediction is right. >>

Probably just another guy that owns a couple 8's and thinks pumping a 10 will make him a few bucks. >>

Your kidding right? Ergo could care less about owning a couple of 8s and making a few dollars......If he wants a 10 he can get one if he doesn't have a 10 already. >>

Does he have a collection like ken Kendrick, Marshall Fogel or Thomas Tull? Now those guys have collections LOL. >>

Ergo is doing just fine with his collection and is a participant of this forum......I'd also want to be on his side in a dark alley as he was a state champ wrestler too.
    BUYING Frank Gotch T229 Kopec
    Looking to BUY n332 1889 SF Hess cards and high grade cards from 19th century especially. "Once you have wrestled everything else in life is easy" Dan Gable
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>The price of the rice Psa 10 is a bubble. I don't see this card remaining at $10k in a few years. Watch when the economy goes down and stock market drops this rice Psa 10 rookie will drop down to the $5k area. >>

In a few years I'll forget we ever had this discussion and Dpeck will remember to bump this thread. >>

Probably just another guy that owns a couple 8's and thinks pumping a 10 will make him a few bucks. >>

Your kidding right? Ergo could care less about owning a couple of 8s and making a few dollars......If he wants a 10 he can get one if he doesn't have a 10 already. >>

Does he have a collection like ken Kendrick, Marshall Fogel or Thomas Tull? Now those guys have collections LOL. >>

Ergo is doing just fine with his collection and is a participant of this forum......I'd also want to be on his side in a dark alley as he was a state champ wrestler too. >>

Don't go to dark alleys LOL.
  • Options
    Dpeck100Dpeck100 Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

He is definitely kidding.

The card is up another $1,165 since the thread was bumped. Current bid is $11,565.65

The amount of watchers on both the Montana and Rice is absolutely off the charts. I was stunned.

296 for Rice, 346, for Montana and Tony Dorsett 146

You can't completely correlate watchers with price as there are many casual observers like me but these are simply mind boggling numbers. There is serious interest here.

• Options
    ergoismergoism Posts: 315 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

It was merely a friendly prediction. I wasn't stating it as if it were guaranteed like you seemingly were. If it goes down, it goes down. Everything will be okay.

<< <i>

No, I don't have close to a top 3 collection. I just collect cards that I like and I do it for fun. I do have a few PSA 8 86 Rices though.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

It was merely a friendly prediction. I wasn't stating it as if it were guaranteed like you seemingly were. If it goes down, it goes down. Everything will be okay.

<< <i>

No, I don't have close to a top 3 collection. I just collect cards that I like and I do it for fun. I do have a few PSA 8 86 Rices though. >>

Sounds like you may have at least one rice 10 too.
  • Options
    thunderdanthunderdan Posts: 3,036 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Probably just another guy that owns a couple 8's and thinks pumping a 10 will make him a few bucks. >>

lol. that's gold, jerry. gold!

• Options

<< <i>
    Sounds like you may have at least one rice 10 too. >>

Just ten 8s that will go up because of this thread and allow me to retire.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

Just ten 8s that will go up because of this thread and allow me to retire. >>

Well then good luck with your rice Psa 8's and your rice Psa 10's.
  • Options
    DM23HOFDM23HOF Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wow-- thanks EM, you just basically outed my entire strategy to make the Forbes 500 and wreck the buffet at The Harrow Club with Fogel and Kendrick.

I was planning on hoarding every Rice rookie in every grade, then burning them on youtube, leaving only one-- a PSA 1MK (on which I would draw a slamming set of boobs). Then Phase 3 = Profit, aka selling it for that Dr. Evil money.

Wrecking The Buffet At The Harrow Club

Instagram: mattyc_collection

• Options
    MULLINS5MULLINS5 Posts: 4,517 ✭✭✭
    Big Hockey guy here, but I love this set and really want a BBCE FASC sealed box for my personal collection.

I'd be happy to buy (and pay a premium over the grade) for a truly centered Rice...but have no desire for a 10 at that price. BUT I can see why this card is selling for this kind of money!

• Options
    ClockworkAngelClockworkAngel Posts: 1,994 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

I calculate those 8's going up 10-15% this year just based on the exposure this thread is getting. Well played sir! image
    The Clockwork Angel Collection...brought to you by Bank of America, Wells Fargo, and Chase
    TheClockworkAngelCollection
  • Options
    DavisDavis Posts: 705 ✭✭

<< <i>Big Hockey guy here, but I love this set and really want a BBCE FASC sealed box for my personal collection.

I'd be happy to buy (and pay a premium over the grade) for a truly centered Rice...but have no desire for a 10 at that price. BUT I can see why this card is selling for this kind of money! >>

I agree buddy. This is probably my favorite football set. Seems like every time I order from BBCE, I have to add a pack or cello for ripping. The set can be so frustrating with the centering though.
  • Options
    DavisDavis Posts: 705 ✭✭
    Also, the PSA 9 and 10 that are linked a few pages back....dang I've seen 8's that look better. Kudos to the fella that has $11k to drop on the PSA 10....but with the pink print dot and the slightly touched corners someone is buying the label not the card.

Disclaimer - I own an 8. Don't crucify me.
  • Options
    CDsNutsCDsNuts Posts: 10,092
    Just ten 8s that will go up because of this thread and allow me to retire.

Your agent's gonna be pissed.
  • Options
    dberk12dberk12 Posts: 399 ✭✭

<< <i>Wow-- thanks EM, you just basically outed my entire strategy to make the Forbes 500 and wreck the buffet at The Harrow Club with Fogel and Kendrick.

Excellent use of the movie Beverly Hills Cop. My friends from childhood and I have quoted the scene where the chief rips Taggert and Rosewood regarding the Harrow Club since the 80's. Well played.

Baseball, it is said, is only a game. True. And the Grand Canyon is only a hole in Arizona.

-George F. Will
  • Options
    Thanks; by the way-- that HITMAN poster is OFF THE CHAIN. I remember that image on my wall as a kid like it was yesterday.

My buddies and I use that scene often, too. Usually, when one of us (me) does something egregiously stupid and/or wild during a crazy night out, the next morning someone will say, "Is this the man who WRECKED the buffet at the Harrow Club?!"
    Never fails to make us laugh.

• Options
    RIP Mike image
  • Options
    shagrotn77shagrotn77 Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭✭
    I had that Mattingly Hit Man poster hanging on my wall when I was a kid. Brought back some good memories seeing it again.

Switching gears, check out the bidding on the Montana 10:

No red flags here...

The current high bidder has private feedback.

The #2 bidder has 100% bidding with the seller.

The #3 bidder has all of 1 feedback, 88% bidding with the seller, and 2 bid retractions in the last month.

Lastly, there was a $13,188 bid retracted today 10 minutes after it was placed.
    "My father would womanize, he would drink. He would make outrageous claims like he invented the question mark. Sometimes he would accuse chestnuts of being lazy. The sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament. Our childhood was typical. Summers in Rangoon, luge lessons. In the spring we'd make meat helmets. When we were insolent we were placed in a burlap bag and beaten with reeds - pretty standard really."
  • Options

<< <i>I had that Mattingly Hit Man poster hanging on my wall when I was a kid. Brought back some good memories seeing it again.

No red flags here...

The #3 bidder has all of 1 feedback, 88% bidding with the seller, and 2 bid retractions in the last month.

Lastly, there was a $13,188 bid retracted today 10 minutes after it was placed. >>

This would all alarm me normally. But I consigned this card and myself nor anyone I'm affiliated with are doing any of that.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>I had that Mattingly Hit Man poster hanging on my wall when I was a kid. Brought back some good memories seeing it again.

No red flags here...

Lastly, there was a $13,188 bid retracted today 10 minutes after it was placed. >>

This would all alarm me normally. But I consigned this card and myself nor anyone I'm affiliated with are doing any of that. >>

So the pwcc Montana psa 10 is your consignment and you also mentioned in the marino psa 10 rookie discussion that the Marino in pwcc is your consignment too. Is the rice psa 10 rookie in pwcc your consignment too? That could explain why you are promoting the rice and are biased.
  • Options
    gregmo32gregmo32 Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭
    Is there some kind of rule I am unaware of in which it is anyone's (or everyone's) business who consigned a particular card to a particular auction house?

Does it always have to be relatively "new" members/posters needlessly and pointlessly harassing established, upstanding members of these boards?

I am buying and trading for RC's of Wilt Chamberlain, George Mikan, Bill Russell, Oscar Robertson, Jerry West, and Bob Cousy!
    Don't waste your time and fees listing on ebay before getting in touch me by PM or at gregmo32@aol.com !
  • Options

<< <i>Is there some kind of rule I am unaware of in which it is anyone's (or everyone's) business who consigned a particular card to a particular auction house?

Does it always have to be relatively "new" members/posters needlessly and pointlessly harassing established, upstanding members of these boards? >>

No one asked him if the Montana 10 and Marino 10 in pwcc auction was his consignment. He just came forward and said both cards were his consignment. So one could assume that the rice Psa 10 rookie in pwcc is his too as he has been defending the card's future. I don't think he would be shy of saying it's his LOL.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Is there some kind of rule I am unaware of in which it is anyone's (or everyone's) business who consigned a particular card to a particular auction house?

Does it always have to be relatively "new" members/posters needlessly and pointlessly harassing established, upstanding members of these boards? >>

No one asked him if the Montana 10 and Marino 10 in pwcc auction was his consignment. He just came forward and said both cards were his consignment. So one could assume that the rice Psa 10 is his too as he has been defending the card's future. I don't think he would be shy of saying it's his. >>

The market should be happy that collectors are offering up these cards for sale. You don't have to own cards to defend their future.

If he owns the cards so what. These are platinum items at the moment and buyers need sellers and there is no shortage of buyers. The Montana has 30 bidders and the Jerry Rice has 17. Obviously many won't find themselves in the final price range but this shows a deep book of bids at the moment.

I personally find it exciting to get to follow hot cards like this at auction.

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

No one asked him if the Montana 10 and Marino 10 in pwcc auction was his consignment. He just came forward and said both cards were his consignment. So one could assume that the rice Psa 10 is his too as he has been defending the card's future. I don't think he would be shy of saying it's his. >>

The market should be happy that collectors are offering up these cards for sale. You don't have to own cards to defend their future.

If he owns the cards so what. These are platinum items at the moment and buyers need sellers and there is no shortage of buyers. The Montana has 30 bidders and the Jerry Rice has 17. Obviously many won't find themselves in the final price range but this shows a deep book of bids at the moment.

I personally find it exciting to get to follow hot cards like this at auction. >>

Personally I don't care if he owns the rice. But if you read through this thread he's been denying he owns a rice Psa 10 rookie and he's been joking he owns 10 Psa 8's. And he has been promoting the PSA 10. Just trying to get the facts straight LOL.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

I personally find it exciting to get to follow hot cards like this at auction. >>

Personally I don't care if he owns the rice. But if you read through this thread he's been denying he owns a rice Psa 10 rookie and he's been joking he owns 10 Psa 8's. Just trying to get the facts LOL. >>

One of the nice things about selling items through a consignor is that you don't have to claim them. I have never done it but that is clearly a nice incentive.

I don't think he intended to make reference that any of the cards for sale were his but there was some strange bidding activity that got called out and I think he was wise to step up and make it clear that the seller was not playing any games.

If it is his card I hope it sets a record price.

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

Personally I don't care if he owns the rice. But if you read through this thread he's been denying he owns a rice Psa 10 rookie and he's been joking he owns 10 Psa 8's. Just trying to get the facts LOL. >>

One of the nice things about selling items through a consignor is that you don't have to claim them. I have never done it but that is clearly a nice incentive.

I don't think he intended to make reference that any of the cards for sale were his but there was some strange bidding activity that got called out and I think he was wise to step up and make it clear that the seller was not playing any games.

If it is his card I hope it sets a record price. >>

Dpeck read the "Marino Psa 10 rookie undervalued" thread started yesterday there were no mentions of unusual bidding activity he just came out and said it was his consignment.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

If it is his card I hope it sets a record price. >>

Dpeck read the "Marino Psa 10 rookie undervalued" thread started yesterday there were no mentions of unusual bidding activity he just came out and said it was his consignment. >>

I was referencing the Joe Montana.

• Options
    itzagoneritzagoner Posts: 8,753 ✭✭
  • Options

"I don't think he intended to make reference that any of the cards for sale were his but there was some strange bidding activity that got called out and I think he was wise to step up and make it clear that the seller was not playing any games."

Dpeck I'm referencing the marino thread because of your comment above earlier. Anyway good luck to his consignments LOL.
  • Options

<< <i>"I don't think he intended to make reference that any of the cards for sale were his but there was some strange bidding activity that got called out and I think he was wise to step up and make it clear that the seller was not playing any games."

Dpeck I'm referencing the marino thread because of your comment above earlier. Anyway good luck to his consignments LOL. >>

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>"I don't think he intended to make reference that any of the cards for sale were his but there was some strange bidding activity that got called out and I think he was wise to step up and make it clear that the seller was not playing any games."

Dpeck I'm referencing the marino thread because of your comment above earlier. Anyway good luck to his consignments LOL. >>

>>

I hadn't read that thread.

There is one thing he is right about. This site drives eyeballs. Assuming it is his card talking about them certainly isn't hurting them.

• Options
    The price of the PSA 10 Rice rookie in PWCC is back down to $10,499! explain dpeck?
  • Options

<< <i>The price of the PSA 10 Rice rookie in PWCC is back down to $10,499! explain dpeck? >>

That is where the price was when the thread was bumped. It appears some bidders have backed away. This unfortunately isn't that uncommon in high profile EBAY auctions. That said in the end the card is going to sell where ever the market determines it should.

I like to follow the card market and try and create discussion about active cards. This was just one of them.

It is no secret that listings posted on active message boards get attention. Just post something in the BST board and watch the number of page views of your EBAY listings explode for a period of time.

• Options

<< <i>

>>

By the way that Marino is beautiful. Someone who more actively collects the set might be able to find a flaw but it looks fantastic to the eye to me.

This card has been busting out of its trading range and will definitely finish strong.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

>>

By the way that Marino is beautiful. Someone who more actively collects the set might be able to find a flaw but it looks fantastic to the eye to me.

This card has been busting out of its trading range and will definitely finish strong. >>

Yup that's why I started that thread the marino is way undervalued.
  • Options

<< <i>image >>

+1
  • Options

<< <i>image >>

Only plus one?
    Looking to BUY n332 1889 SF Hess cards and high grade cards from 19th century especially. "Once you have wrestled everything else in life is easy" Dan Gable
  • Options

<< <i>Only plus one? >>

My apologies. +69
  • Options
    Why is the rice psa 10 rookie in pwcc your consignment? If so good luck.
  • Options

<< <i>Why is the rice psa 10 rookie in pwcc your consignment? If so good luck. >>

I respectfully predicted that a HOF rookie of one of the greatest receivers to play the game isn't going to go from over 10k down to 5k in a few years. How does that mean it's my consignment? I could care less if anyone bids on that card. It doesn't change what I think about the future of the card. Who are you, what do you collect, and why do you end 85% of your posts with LOL?
  • Options
    bobbyw8469bobbyw8469 Posts: 7,139 ✭✭✭
    Judging by a quick look at 7:15 in the morning on the final day of the auction, it appears the high bidder got cold feet when he suspected he was being "shilled up". His original bid was on the 9th, and then the retraction came 5 days later. Once he retracted then the other two dropped when they got the "Hey - suddenly YOU are the high bidder and will soon owe someone 5 figures for a piece of cardboard!!" I am not sure if he was shilled or not - maybe by the '1' feedback guy. Anyway, would love to see if there is any last minute activity on the card!
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Why is the rice psa 10 rookie in pwcc your consignment? If so good luck. >>

I respectfully predicted that a HOF rookie of one of the greatest receivers to play the game isn't going to go from over 10k down to 5k in a few years. How does that mean it's my consignment? I could care less if anyone bids on that card. It doesn't change what I think about the future of the card. Who are you, what do you collect, and why do you end 85% of your posts with LOL? >>

You admitted that the Montana PSA 10 rookie and Marino PSA 10 rookie were your consignments in the PWCC auction. No one asked you or suspected you owned them you just came out and said it. Isn't it plausible that you may have a few other high end football cards for consignment in the PWCC auction?

You respectfully defended the rice PSA 10 rookie after I stated it may be overvalued. You were the first person to comment after I made the overvalued comment. I commented that it sounds like you owned the card and you said no but you own 10 PSA 8 rice rookies below.

<<

Now which is more true? That the rice PSA 10 is not your consignment or that you own 10 PSA 8 rice rookies?
  • Options
    It doesn't matter. Enjoy watching the auction and where it ends up.
  • Options
    A KRS ONE song comes to mind this morning, over some coffee and toast:

I'm gonna say this once and I mean this:
    Disattach yaself from my p&*is
    Give my genitals room to breathe
    You take shots at me wit a weak album I can't believe
    You got no skills, chill, plus you're corny
    You think you're hardcore cuz you got a 40?

• Options
    CDsNutsCDsNuts Posts: 10,092
    Now which is more true? That the rice PSA 10 is not your consignment or that you own 10 PSA 8 rice rookies?

Why do you care? Should everyone here just email you a spreadsheet of all the cards we have LOL
  • Options

<< <i>
    Now which is more true? That the rice PSA 10 is not your consignment or that you own 10 PSA 8 rice rookies? >>

Of those choices, the more true would be that I own 10 PSA 8 Rice rookies.
  • Options
    itzagoneritzagoner Posts: 8,753 ✭✭
    the truth will set you free.
  • Options

<< <i>Now which is more true? That the rice PSA 10 is not your consignment or that you own 10 PSA 8 rice rookies?

Why do you care? Should everyone here just email you a spreadsheet of all the cards we have LOL >>

We can play a game of guessing who consigned cards to PWCC or Probstein to CU members here on the forum.....I suspect myself and Dpeck would be one of the first guesses for wrestling cards, and OPC would be Tom, etc. Should be a great game that will fill up these message boards.......

I am sure it will all remind us of the length of game it took to play "war" with a deck of cards as a kid.........
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>
    Now which is more true? That the rice PSA 10 is not your consignment or that you own 10 PSA 8 rice rookies? >>

Of those choices, the more true would be that I own 10 PSA 8 Rice rookies. >>

So it's less true that the rice Psa 10 is not your consignment?
    Therefore it is highly likely that the rice Psa 10 rookie in pwcc is your card LOL.
  • Options

<< <i>and why do you end 85% of your posts with LOL? >>

I wondered this same thing, but I think I have the answer. "LOL" is the punctuation mark of choice among cowards who try to be Internet tough guys but who, in all actuality, lack the cojones to "own" their posts. Smile faces are sometimes used in the same way. For instance, I can say anything I want about your mother and the intercourse that I may or may not have had with her, but as long as I finish my sentence with "LOL" its ok. Translation: "I mean what I just said, but I need to pretend I didn't, because if you were mean to me on an Internet message board I'd cry myself to sleep."