Home U.S. Coin Forum

ANACS Photo Cert article I wrote

bob48bob48 Posts: 449 ✭✭✭
edited February 19, 2020 7:53PM in U.S. Coin Forum
I have been working on this for a couple of months and would like to share it with anyone that likes the photo certs.
I have 10 types of certificates all with pictures, so it is a good reference. Some of ANACS history and some quotes by one of the graders that started the grading service on March 1st 1979
If you would like a copy, you will need to PM me with an email address.
I don't have someplace I can set up a link for you to down load it.
I have found that the research was fun and very interesting. I have learned allot for this project.
I hope you have as much fun reading it as I did collecting the information.

Here is the link to the article. scroll down the page and the first down load is my article by Robert Paul
https://sites.google.com/site/sampleslabbook/downloads

It covers 11 certs and one new one was found by Conder101 its like a type 4 with the MM ruler on the reverse. (like the type 5) So there is 12 types known.
Bob

Comments

• AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,515 ✭✭✭✭✭
    PM sent!
    Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,515 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Send a PM to Bob, it's a great reference!

bobimage
    Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • keyman64keyman64 Posts: 15,452 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for sending it. I will be sure to read it this weekend. image
    "If it's not fun, it's not worth it." - KeyMan64
    Looking for Top Pop Mercury Dime Varieties & High Grade Mercury Dime Toners. :smile:
  • 123cents123cents Posts: 7,178 ✭✭✭
    I just finished reading the article. It contains great information and you did a great job. Thanks!
  • jt88jt88 Posts: 2,794 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I just finished reading the article. It contains great information and you did a great job. Thanks! >>

I totally agree. Bob you really should post your research online. It is a great research. Thank you!
  • Timbuk3Timbuk3 Posts: 11,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for the post !!!
    Timbuk3
  • bob48bob48 Posts: 449 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>I just finished reading the article. It contains great information and you did a great job. Thanks! >>

I totally agree. Bob you really should post your research online. It is a great research. Thank you! >>

I'll Take all the help I can get. I just don't know how to do that. (post online that is)
    This research was just collecting all of the bits and peices that were all over, and over and over, getting them into some kind of order. (3 Different forums of searching) I have been ready to put it out for a month now, just needed to get some OKs from sources.
    Thank to all
    Bob
    Bob

• CMCARTCMCART Posts: 1,409 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

I totally agree. Bob you really should post your research online. It is a great research. Thank you! >>

I'll Take all the help I can get. I just don't know how to do that. (post online that is)
    This research was just collecting all of the bits and peices that were all over, and over and over, getting them into some kind of order. (3 Different forums of searching) I have been ready to put it out for a month now, just needed to get some OKs from sources.
    Thank to all
    Bob >>

Nice new forum image

Text
    Abraham Lincoln (February 12, 1809 – April 15, 1865)
    5$ bills are WOW with the numbers - wanted:
    Wanted - Flipper notes with the numbers 6-9 or 0-6-9 ON 1$ 2$ 5$ 10$ 20$
    Wanted - 10$ Sereis 2013 - fancy Serial Numbers
  • This is an amazing article, The research and work that went into it is accurate and very informative.
    Thanks Bob for taking the time and effort to do this.
    All the best
    Alan
  • You can use Dropbox which allows for free web hosting (up to 2GB). I have used the service. You can PM if you have questions, or I can host it from my Dropbox account if you're interested.
  • Thank you so much. This is definitely a must read for any collector of older ANACS coins.
    Coinman
    Thanks for the offer on the drop box that is what I need, I will let you help me to set it up and will add the links soon. I like the feeling of being the morning paper boy for now. I did that when I was 15, oh boy! 40 years ago. Where has the time gone!image
    Bob
    imageimage

imageimage
    Bob

• PrethenPrethen Posts: 3,447 ✭✭✭
    Where was the article published?

<< <i>Where was the article published? >>

I only wrote it, [and if you PM me with a email address I will send a copy to you]
    Bob

[just put in]
    Bob

• percybpercyb Posts: 3,301 ✭✭✭
    PM sent.
    "Poets are the unacknowledged legislators of the world." PBShelley
  • PrethenPrethen Posts: 3,447 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

I only wrote it
    Bob >>

I havently read your article yet, but I assume you put an effort into making it pretty decent. You might want to consider getting it professionally published (like in Coin World or Numismatic News). They pay fairly and might want such an article.
  • Just read the article and I love it Bob. every bit as interesting as I thought!!!! Thank you!

YF,
    CC

<< <i>

<< <i>

I only wrote it
    Bob >>

I havently read your article yet, but I assume you put an effort into making it pretty decent. You might want to consider getting it professionally published (like in Coin World or Numismatic News). They pay fairly and might want such an article. >>

Thanks for the info
    I did send it to Coin World copy to Beth D. just with in the last hour as my friends have suggested but reading the requirements for articles, I do not meet many of the requirements and if you cut out most of the pictures for printing then there is nothing left for a good reference. I will wait for her to respond and see what happens.
    Thanks Bob
    Bob

<< <i>

<< <i>

I only wrote it
    Bob >>

I havently read your article yet, but I assume you put an effort into making it pretty decent. You might want to consider getting it professionally published (like in Coin World or Numismatic News). They pay fairly and might want such an article. >>

Prethen
    I need a email address to send it to, just PM me with that.
    Thanks
    Bob
    Bob

Thank you all
    Nice PMs
    Bob
    Bob

Thanks for the emails
    Bob
    Bob

<< <i>Thank you so much. This is definitely a must read for any collector of older ANACS coins. >>

Thank You all
    Bob
    Bob

• lasvegasteddylasvegasteddy Posts: 10,408 ✭✭✭
    hey bob,
    stunning research and written article
    i hope this gets archived
    thank you too for sending it out
    everything in life is but merely on loan to us by our appreciation....lose your appreciation and see

<< <i>hey bob,
    stunning research and written article
    i hope this gets archived
    thank you too for sending it out >>

Thanks for the nice comment
    Bob
    Bob

• WhiteTornadoWhiteTornado Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭
    Bob, thanks for sending along the article. That looks like quite an extensive piece you put together! image Looking forward to reading it.
  • habaracahabaraca Posts: 1,957 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Received your article

What a Great piece of work

Thanks

phil
    WhiteTornado and habaraca

Thanks for the comments and PM

I am very happy how it all turned out. and
    who know someday one of the publications might carry it.

Bob
    Bob

I just read it. An amazing amount of work. Well done! Congrats on some very fine research. Thank you.
    Looking for Top Pop Mercury Dime Varieties & High Grade Mercury Dime Toners. :smile:
    Have you received a response from Coin World or Numismatic News yet? Please keep us updated as to the response you get. Telling us a little about the process would be helpful as well. Since I am in the middle of writing something, it might be helpful to know a few parameters that are important when sending them something for consideration. I would not mind getting my article published in either of those....and any little helpful tips would be greatly appreciated as you go through the process. Thanks again!
    Thnk You
    Bob
    Bob

<< <i>Have you received a response from Coin World or Numismatic News yet? Please keep us updated as to the response you get. Telling us a little about the process would be helpful as well. Since I am in the middle of writing something, it might be helpful to know a few parameters that are important when sending them something for consideration. I would not mind getting my article published in either of those....and any little helpful tips would be greatly appreciated as you go through the process. Thanks again! >>

I have sent it to the ANA, COINage and Coin World. I have had no replies yet and I don't know when I might get one. I am only a coin collector and not a writer so I don't have the connection as to how to get a paper published. Coin World would lke to have a word count, and have the article in a word doc file, This article is 32 pages and I sent it in PDF so I am just hoping for a nice email as a reply, saying thanks but no thanks.
    In all the posts and email I have received, I am just really Happy people like it enought to send me something saying they like it.
    I will post updates when I receive anything.
    Bob
    Bob

• TwobitcollectorTwobitcollector Posts: 3,079 ✭✭✭✭✭
    great reference!

Positive BST Transactions with:
    INYNWHWeTrust-TexasNationals,ajaan,blu62vette
    coinJP, Outhaul ,illini420,MICHAELDIXON, Fade to Black,epcjimi1,19Lyds,SNMAN,JerseyJoe, bigjpst, DMWJR , lordmarcovan, Weiss,Mfriday4962,UtahCoin,Downtown1974,pitboss,RichieURich,Bullsitter,JDsCoins,toyz4geo,jshaulis, mustanggt, SNMAN
  • HoledandCreativeHoledandCreative Posts: 2,729 ✭✭✭✭✭
    A bump.
    Thank You
    Bob
    Bob

Thanks! To all that have commented.
    It really is a great reference for the old tyme photo certs. And that is why I did that.
    I could not find anything out there but bits and pieces, just remember
    I tried to keep all of the info accurate but sometimes things get type wrong,
    ALL info is what I can find in print.
    There are very minor changes to it cities and sell dates.
    Love The reviews!
    Thanks Bob
    Bob

• CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,499 ✭✭✭✭✭

Was this ever published in paper form?
    TD

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • snizzlesnizzle Posts: 208 ✭✭✭✭

Inquiring minds would like to know

Tom 

• Hi @bob48 ,
    I tried to PM you. Maybe it worked as I don't see it here.
    Thanks,
    John

• Thanks Bob. I got your message. Great job. Thanks..

Still working on my article on the 1922 cents of any variety. If anybody has an ANACS paper certificate of any type showing anything other than a generic "1922-D" date and mint mark designation, could you please tell me exactly what it says? For example, at various times the "No D" coins were listed as "1922," "1922 Plain" and "1922 No D." Any other comments such as "Weak Reverse" or "Die Pair #_" would also be appreciated.

I would also like to know the certificate number, the date and whether it says "Transfer." Do not need to know submittor's name.

Thanks,
    TD

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Insider2Insider2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭✭

OLD DISCUSSION ALERT I fell for it just now and sent Bob a PM. LOL.

BTW, anyone have a copy of the article I can read?

• KindaNewishKindaNewish Posts: 827 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have conversed with Bob as recently as last December. He's got goodies.

• Insider2Insider2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭✭

Well, I PM'ed him. We'll see.

• ECHOESECHOES Posts: 2,974 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 18, 2020 5:28PM

@CaptHenway said:
    Still working on my article on the 1922 cents of any variety. If anybody has an ANACS paper certificate of any type showing anything other than a generic "1922-D" date and mint mark designation, could you please tell me exactly what it says? For example, at various times the "No D" coins were listed as "1922," "1922 Plain" and "1922 No D." Any other comments such as "Weak Reverse" or "Die Pair #_" would also be appreciated.

I would also like to know the certificate number, the date and whether it says "Transfer." Do not need to know submittor's name.

Thanks,
    TD

This is my coin, submitted by me as well.

~HABE FIDUCIAM IN DOMINO III V VI / III XVI~
    POST NUBILA PHOEBUS / AFTER CLOUDS, SUN
    Love for Music / Collector of Dreck

Excellent! Do you know when that was submitted?

@CaptHenway said:
    Excellent! Do you know when that was submitted?

Early 90's, I would have to search my records, currently in storage...

edited February 18, 2020 5:44PM

If I remember correctly,
    This was the 'only' 1922 no 'D',
    Die pair 2 with strong reverse.