Home U.S. Coin Forum

To Star or Not to Star That is the Question on This Proof Buffalo Nickel

Comments

• CCC2010CCC2010 Posts: 1,987 ✭✭✭
    Looks like a image to me. image
    References:Coinsarefun,DerryB,Bloodman,Zubie,Gerard,Skyman,Bestclser1,Lakesammman,Yellowkid,PerryHall,Piecesofme,HTubbs,grote15
    Coinfame,Kaelasdad,Type2,UNLVino,MICHAELDIXON
    Justacommeman,tydye,78saen,123cents,blue62vette,Segoja,Nibanny
  • lasvegasteddylasvegasteddy Posts: 10,408 ✭✭✭
    i'm in tha...yup...i bet they did give it a star...crowd
    and held on to it awhile before sending it home...
    stunning buff
    everything in life is but merely on loan to us by our appreciation....lose your appreciation and see

• lkeigwinlkeigwin Posts: 16,885 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Beautiful! Yes, it got a star. Or a details grade.
    Lance.
  • TomBTomB Posts: 20,697 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've seen this one in-hand, correct? It's gorgeous.
    Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• capecape Posts: 1,621
    I viewed this beauty for you in the old holder..... Hope you got it !image
    ed rodrigues
  • mkman123mkman123 Posts: 6,849 ✭✭✭✭
    Its a beauty! I like it!!
    Successful Buying and Selling transactions with:

Many members on this forum that now it cannot fit in my signature. Please ask for entire list.
  • Better off in a PCGS holder with a cac sticker on it

• << <i>Better off in a PCGS holder with a cac sticker on it >>

Please not that again. (refering to the cac sticker) image

A STAR!
    NumbersUsa, FairUs, Alipac, CapsWeb, and TeamAmericaPac
  • lasvegasteddylasvegasteddy Posts: 10,408 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Better off in a PCGS holder with a cac sticker on it >>

put me in this...cross that baby for sure crowd too...image
    everything in life is but merely on loan to us by our appreciation....lose your appreciation and see

• mkman123mkman123 Posts: 6,849 ✭✭✭✭
    Leave it in the ngc holder!!!
    Successful Buying and Selling transactions with:

Many members on this forum that now it cannot fit in my signature. Please ask for entire list.
  • Lehigh96Lehigh96 Posts: 685 ✭✭✭
    I don't even know why you are asking. If NGC didn't give that coin a star, they should discontinue the star designation all together. That PF Buffalo is spectacular.
    <a target=new class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://stores.ebay.com/Lehigh-Coins">LEHIGH COINS on E-Bay
  • tightbudgettightbudget Posts: 7,299 ✭✭✭
    I would give it for sure a star; I hope NGC did the same!
  • DorkGirlDorkGirl Posts: 9,994 ✭✭✭
    A target toned Buff......beautiful!
    Becky
  • guitarwesguitarwes Posts: 9,237 ✭✭✭

It gets 2 stars from me, one for the Obv. and one for the Rev.

Very nice!
    @ Elite CNC Routing & Woodworks on Facebook. Check out my work.
    Too many positive BST transactions with too many members to list.
  • That is a gorgeous coin indeed.
    Love the toningimage
    Positive:
    BST Transactions: DonnyJf, MrOrganic, Justanothercoinaddict, Fivecents, Slq, Jdimmick,
    Robb, Tee135, Ibzman350, Mercfan, Outhaul, Erickso1, Cugamongacoins, Indiananationals, Wayne Herndon

Negative BST Transactions:
  • nwcoastnwcoast Posts: 2,826 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That's a crazy beautiful coin!!!
    Love it and I'm seeing starsimage

Happy, humble, honored and proud recipient of the “You Suck” award 10/22/2014

• MrDMrD Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭
    Now the question is should a star designation have anything to do with the grade? My opinion is no. Star is for eye appeal and should have nothing to do with grade. Just my opinion.
  • crazyhounddogcrazyhounddog Posts: 13,776 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Now the question is should a star designation have anything to do with the grade? My opinion is no. Star is for eye appeal and should have nothing to do with grade. Just my opinion. >>

Agreed....But let me say this, this is one hell of an eye appealing Buff if I've ever seen one!! Superb is the word that comes to mind, WOW!!!!image
    The bitterness of "Poor Quality" is remembered long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
  • PCcoinsPCcoins Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭
    It looks very similar to my avatar, but mines a business strike. I love it!
    "It is what it is."
  • roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Looks to be almost a twin to the monster toner on page C-21 of the PCGS price guide. And of that coin PCGS says it has the ultimate look in a proof buffalo nickel.
    Doesn't get any better than this.

One would be hard pressed to find a more eye appealing proof buffalo nickel....of any date.

Your coin puts other star coins to shame. It's as good as it gets.
    Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
  • ShamikaShamika Posts: 18,759 ✭✭✭✭
    STAR!
    Buyer and seller of vintage coin boards!
  • BUFFNIXXBUFFNIXX Posts: 2,700 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think the graders flipped a coin thus: heads "AT" -- tails "star". Lucky for you it came up tails!
    Collector of Buffalo Nickels and other 20th century United States Coinage
    a.k.a "The BUFFINATOR"
  • capecape Posts: 1,621
    Buffnix, I viewed this coin in hand prior to Dick purchasing and there is no question that the toning is real as it has the toning spots on it on the reverse below the buffs head. I know Dick is upset about this coin as not getting the star .... as this coin previous to getting a regrade came out of an older NGC slab and at this time of grading there was NO STAR DESIGNATION for NGC. Believe it or not Both NGC and PCGS awarded the next grade for Eye Appeal. Today this coin in my estimation would be a PF67+ at PCGS Lets hear everyone elses oppinion ...... including David Hall........ Also send this thread over to Mark Salsberg at Ngc and lets hear his oppinion.
    ed rodrigues
  • crazyhounddogcrazyhounddog Posts: 13,776 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think, from what I've seen, this coin should with no question get a * star *.... I would like to go on to say it's one of the most eye appealing proof buffalo nickel's I've ever seen, At least the obverse is... image
    The bitterness of "Poor Quality" is remembered long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
  • PCcoinsPCcoins Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I think the graders flipped a coin thus: heads "AT" -- tails "star". Lucky for you it came up tails! >>

I beg to differ... The toning is indeed rare rainbow toing, I have a 1957p 5c pcgs65 that is my avatar coin and it is almost Identical toning to the OP coin on the obverse.

Nickel can create some of the most amazing rainbow toned coins under the right conditions.

"It is what it is."
  • that has to be one of the best buffs I ever seen image
  • rainbowroosierainbowroosie Posts: 4,874 ✭✭✭✭
    Not bad!
    "You keep your 1804 dollar and 1822 half eagle -- give me rainbow roosies in MS68."
    rainbowroosie April 1, 2003
  • The star designation is meaningless. Eye appeal is subjective. Dont worry about whats on the plastic. its a beautiful coin. Enjoy it. image
  • poorguypoorguy Posts: 4,317
    Definitely star worthy. If the star actually stands for......oh wait....as from NGC's website:

<< NGC assigns a (star) to coins with exceptional eye appeal for their assigned grade.

Eye appeal is the most subjective attribute of a coin, but there are norms and standards shared by numismatists. Exceptional eye appeal may include attributes such as vibrant, colorful toning; intense luster; or, in the case of Proof coins, especially strong cameo contrast. To receive a (star), coins must be free of any obvious planchet irregularities, and display no bothersome spots or blemishes. Toned coins can be of a single color or multicolored but cannot have any areas that are dark brown, approaching black. >>

I think I'm pointing out the obvious but that coin by just about anyone's standards, even if you don't appreciate toned coins, is absolutely beautifully toned. And just a peek at this thread pulls someone in the general direction of the coin's color being universally admired.

There are those that may say that they gave it a bump to a 68 for the color. However, if that is actually the case, that only justifies the coin GETTING a star in the first place for having vibrant, colorful toning. Simple logic.

Nuff said.

Brandon Kelley - ANA - 972.746.9193 - http://www.bestofyesterdaycollectibles.com
  • breakdownbreakdown Posts: 1,952 ✭✭✭✭✭
    1. Great looking coin. I have a great Brilliant 1936 but yours is special.

2. I don't understand stars, never have. If you upgrade a coin for eye appeal, why the need for stars?

3. Love proof buffalos.

"Look up, old boy, and see what you get." -William Bonney.

As I said, PCGS chose to identify an almost identically toned 1936 gem PF buff as the epitome of monster toning/eye appeal. It's probably the most impressive looking coin in
    the entire PCGS grading and authentication guide. Only the best tuna get selected for Starkist. If it's the best for PCGS....should be a no brainer for NGC.
    Sorry about my AT comment -- I accept the fact now that it is NT.
    a.k.a "The BUFFINATOR"
  • I see no reason it shouldn't receive the star designation if resubmitted to NGC.
  • I still dont understand why you people seem to need a grading service to affix a certain label on a coin to validate your opinion of said coin. Why is that ? If you like the coin isnt that enough?
    ""Buffnix, I viewed this coin in hand prior to Dick purchasing and there is no question that the toning is real as it has the toning spots on it on the reverse below the buffs head. I know Dick is upset about this coin as not getting the star .... as this coin previous to getting a regrade came out of an older NGC slab and at this time of grading there was NO STAR DESIGNATION for NGC. Believe it or not Both NGC and PCGS awarded the next grade for Eye Appeal. Today this coin in my estimation would be a PF67+ at PCGS Lets hear everyone elses oppinion ...... including David Hall........ Also send this thread over to Mark Salsberg at Ngc and lets hear his oppinion.""

my comments .......
    "I know dick is UPSET(?) about this coin as not getting the star". As to this part of the above statement then cannot it just be sent in for "star" review or something? I do not think you should get upset if your coin does not get a STAR! Or if your coin does not get a STAR and a PLUS GRADE! Or, if you expected the plus and did not get that. Just crack er out and resubmit. End of problem. That is part of the process of slabbing a coin. You grade your coin say a 66. It comes back 65+star. What do you do with this bad boy then? Every resubmission entails more fees from the collector. I wonder how many monster 1938-d MS67 buffalo nickels have been sent back to pcgs and ngc in hopes of getting an MS68? And I bet some of the few MS68's have even been sent in hoping for the holy grail -- the first MS69 1938-D buffalo nickel.
    a.k.a "The BUFFINATOR"
  • crypto79crypto79 Posts: 8,623

<< <i>

Nickel can create some of the most amazing rainbow toned coins under the right conditions. >>

Actual that is the 75% copper that is in those coins that makes the color, same as pennies. It can also be processed and treated the same as copper but it is harder to tell on nickels.
  • magikbillymagikbilly Posts: 6,780

<< <i>As I said, PCGS chose to identify an almost identically toned 1936 gem PF buff as the epitome of monster toning/eye appeal. It's probably the most impressive looking coin in
    the entire PCGS grading and authentication guide. Only the best tuna get selected for Starkist. If it's the best for PCGS....should be a no brainer for NGC. >>

That Buff 5C in p. 21 was said to be AT, or no?
    Edited to add as long as buyers have eyes this needs no star IMHO0 Just look at it.

Eric
  • since Dr. Seuss would have had his 116th birthday last Friday, I was recalling my favorite of all his writings, "The Sneetches". Here is the first part (with a coin twist)

Now the Star-bellied Sneetches had coins with stars.
    The Plain-bellied Sneetches had none upon thars.
    The stars weren't so big; they were really quite small.
    You would think such a thing wouldn't matter at all.
    But because they had stars, all the Star-bellied Sneetches
    would brag, "We're the best kind of Sneetch on the beaches."

With their snoots in the air, they would sniff and they'd snort, "
    We'll have nothing to do with the plain-coin sort."
    And whenever they met some, when they were out walking,
    they'd hike right on past them without even talking.

. . . . it really is a fabulous tail. Look it up and read it from a coin perspective . . . .

Mark
  • I'm sorry, I need to put in these verses as well . . . so appropriate to the converstation :

"Then one day, it seems, while the Plain-"coined" Sneetches
    were moping, just moping alone on the beaches,
    sitting there, wishing their "coins" had stars,
    up zipped a stranger in the strangest of cars.
    "My friends, " he announced in a voice clear and keen,
    "My name is Sylvester "NGC" McBean.
    I've heard of your troubles; I've heard you're unhappy.
    But I can fix that; I'm the fix-it-up chappie.
    I've come here to help you; I have what you need.
    My prices are low, and I work with great speed,
    and my work is one hundred per cent guaranteed."
    Then quickly, Sylvester "NGC" McBean
    put together a very peculiar machine.
    Then he said, "You want stars like a Star-"coined" Sneetch?
    My friends, you can have them . . . . for three dollars each.
    Just hand me your money and climb on aboard."
    They clambered inside and the big machine roared.
    It bonked. It clonked. It jerked. It berked.
    It bopped them around, but the thing really worked.
    When the Plain-"coined" Sneetches popped out, they had stars!
    They actually did, they had stars upon thars! "

. . . makes me smile . . .

Mark
    That Buff 5C in p. 21 (PCGS grading guide) was said to be AT, or no?

The description strongly suggests the coin is NT though neither term (AT or NT) is used. Phrases used include "great eye appeal," "great color," "ultimate look for a proof buff nickel."
    Those would be odd words to describe an AT coin in anyone's grading guide.
  • magikbillymagikbilly Posts: 6,780

<< <i> That Buff 5C in p. 21 (PCGS grading guide) was said to be AT, or no?

The description strongly suggests the coin is NT though neither term (AT or NT) is used. Phrases used include "great eye appeal," "great color," "ultimate look for a proof buff nickel."
    Those would be odd words to describe an AT coin in anyone's grading guide. >>

Hello image

I did not mean in the book, I meant on the boards.

Best wishes,
    Eric

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file