Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

National in Baltimore

I know its early but trying to get everything booked....Just booked my hotel thru priceline- got the Sheraton Baltimore City Center on WEst Fayette Street. Its about 3 blocks from the Convention center but it was only 59.00 a night.

Comments

• Nascar360Nascar360 Posts: 1,851 ✭✭✭
    I guess I better start looking as well.
  • orioles93orioles93 Posts: 3,463 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The Sheraton is very nice and is only about a 5-10 walk from the convention center. Surprised it was only $59 a night.
    What I Collect:

PSA HOF Baseball Postwar Rookies Set Registry- (Currently 77.97% Complete)

PSA Pro Football HOF Rookie Players Set Registry- (Currently 19.26% Complete)

PSA Basketball HOF Players Rookies Set Registry- (Currently 6.02% Complete)
  • mrmint23mrmint23 Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭
    I used the bid feature on priceline and used the 3 1/2 star rating.
    Never used it before. Youre gonna be staying at a pretty nice hotel for a very good price!

Also i recommend the Pratt Street Ale House across the street from the convention center.
    What I Collect:

• jeffcbayjeffcbay Posts: 8,948 ✭✭✭✭
    I recently booked my room at the "Hotel de My Dad's House" in Upperco, MD for the low low price of doing the dishes.

This trip will also facilitate the chance for a Family Reunion, so that will make for a very nice long weekend. image

• FrancartFrancart Posts: 334 ✭✭✭
    Is Sheraton the hotel to book or is there another hotel you guys recommend?
    This is a listing of the hotels close to the convention center but their prices are steep..I dont mind walking a couple of blocks. Hopefully it wont rain or I'll get a cab or take mass transit.
    National Hotels
  • FrancartFrancart Posts: 334 ✭✭✭
    Thanks
  • MBMiller25MBMiller25 Posts: 6,057 ✭✭
    I'm doing the Hilton.
  • BaltimoreYankeeBaltimoreYankee Posts: 2,900 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I haven't been to a National since the 1980's (Atlantic City). Being a resident of the Baltimore suburbs, I may have to check out this year's.
    Daniel
  • Wife is going so we are staying at the Sheraton Inner Harbor $5.00 self parking per day.If I was going by myself I would stay in the cheapest place I could find.We are celebrating our ten year anniversary during the National.Does anyone know of any really nice restaurants I can take her to.
  • EchoCanyonEchoCanyon Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭
    Don't forget the Babe Ruth Museum in Balt.

<< <i>Wife is going so we are staying at the Sheraton Inner Harbor $5.00 self parking per day.If I was going by myself I would stay in the cheapest place I could find.We are celebrating our ten year anniversary during the National.Does anyone know of any really nice restaurants I can take her to. >>

Fogo de Chao
    B&O American Brasserie
    Antrim 1844
    Kali's Court

Cant really go wrong with any of these. Depends on what kind of restaurant you are looking for.
    What I Collect:

• fiveninerfiveniner Posts: 4,109 ✭✭✭
    I have made no plans yet.At this point its 50/50.
    Tony(AN ANGEL WATCHES OVER ME)
  • I think I am making the trip up with my brother and dad this year. We went way back in 1992 when I was 14. This time I think it will be a little bit of different experience.

We are thinking about heading to DC to catch the Nationals one night and we are looking at Fogo de Chao for one night of dinner.

Has anyone been here: LP Steamers it looks like a cool dive crabhouse.

Joel

<< <i>I think I am making the trip up with my brother and dad this year. We went way back in 1992 when I was 14. This time I think it will be a little bit of different experience.

We are thinking about heading to DC to catch the Nationals one night and we are looking at Fogo de Chao for one night of dinner.

Has anyone been here: LP Steamers it looks like a cool dive crabhouse. >>

LP Steamers is really good. Text Obryckis has really good crabs to but its not as much as a dive place as LP.
    What I Collect:

I recommend taking a tour of Camden yards.

<< <i>I recommend taking a tour of Camden yards.[/q

+1 and the Babe Ruth Museum
    What I Collect:

<< <i>I recommend taking a tour of Camden yards.

+1 and the Babe Ruth Museum >>

Both of those... I haven't been to the Babe Ruth Museum since the year they were still digging the hole for Oriole Park! I should dig up those pictures...
  • milbrocomilbroco Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭
    When is the National? I think I will have to make plans.........
    Thanks,
    Bob
    ebay seller name milbroco
    email bcmiller7@comcast.net
  • Tedw9Tedw9 Posts: 1,424 ✭✭
    This will be my first trip to the National, and I'm like a kid waiting for Christmas! image

A buddy and I are going together, staying at the Holiday Inn Inner Harbor. Seems a block or so away from the show, easy enough walk.

*Edited to add*

Bob, I think the preview night is Wednesday August 1st and it runs through Sunday, August 5th.
    Looking for Carl Willey items.
  • QUITCRABQUITCRAB Posts: 1,016 ✭✭✭
    Lets not forget G&M's for CRAB CAKES!
  • nam812nam812 Posts: 10,537 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just meet up at Lee's brother's restaurant again, he loves that.

Just remember that it's B.Y.O.I (bring your own ipecac)
  • milbrocomilbroco Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭
    Hey, if anyone likes seafood, there is a place about 15 minutes south of Inner Harbor called Timbuktu. I think it is in Hanover, Md. as is easy access on and off of I-95. The food at this place is fantastic! It may be a bit pricey but it is well worth it. I had Crab Imperial and it was like a mountain of crab meat. I know where I will be going after the show Saturday night..........
    Bob
    ebay seller name milbroco
    email bcmiller7@comcast.net
  • otwcardsotwcards Posts: 5,291 ✭✭✭
    Sadly, the Orioles aren't in town during National week...
  • Love when it is in Batlimore, 20 minutes from home.
  • Goodsport40Goodsport40 Posts: 1,010 ✭✭
    Thinking of going this year. I assume that Saturday is the busiest day and Sunday is the slowest? Is it true many dealers pack it up early on Sunday?

Too bad the Orioles aren't in town that weekend. 20th anniversary of Oriole Park at Camden Yards this year! Where does the time go?

Robert
  • thunderdanthunderdan Posts: 3,036 ✭✭✭
    Just booked at the Marriott at Camden Yards.

• Booked my room as well.. Staying at my casa.. A short 1:15 min drive....

Cory
    ----------------------
    Working on:
    Football
    1973 Topps PSA 8+ (99.81%)
    1976 Topps PSA 9+ (36.36%)
    1977 Topps PSA 9+ (100%)

Baseball
    1938 Goudey (56.25%)
    1951 Topps Redbacks PSA 8 (100%)
    1952 Bowman PSA 7+ (63.10%)
    1953 Topps PSA 5+ (91.24%)
    1973 Topps PSA 8+ (70.76%)
    1985 Fleer PSA 10 (54.85%)
    Watch net54 board to sign up for the FREE dinner and drinks. Leon posted this on net54.

Just a friendly reminder that as you are making plans for the National in Baltimore this year please don't forget the Net54baseball Dinner at the National Convention will be on Friday evening, Aug. 3rd, of the event. All members are invited. It will be at the Hyatt that is connected (or next to) the National itself. Final times haven't been established but expect 6:30pm till.....with speakers starting at about 7:45-8pm. So far we have one speaker and 3 that are tentative. If all of these 4 make it I can't imagine a more interesting line up. There will be an RSVP thread a few weeks before the event and that is when to RSVP. (NOT now) Spouses and children are invited but please remember it's rated PG.... We have always had a ton of fun. Food and drink will be provided and all is free. Thanks to our advertisers for helping to make it free and a special thanks to Heritage Auctions for being the Platinum Sponsor again. I look forward to seeing everyone there. I expect 125-175 as usual.
    Washington Nationals are in town though... ~40 miles south of the Convention Center.

Wed, August 1 vs Philadelphia 7:05pm
    Thu, August 2 vs Philadelphia 7:05pm
    Fri, August 3 vs Miami 4:05pm
    Fri, August 3 vs Miami 7:05pm
    Sat, August 4 vs Miami 7:05pm
    Sun, August 5 vs Miami 1:35pm

Unfortunately I won't be going to it this year. I always try to combine the Baltimore National with visiting family, and my family is getting together the following weekend, so I chose family instead. Have fun! image
  • Anyone else going to the PSA Luncheon ?

<< <i>Anyone else going to the PSA Luncheon ? >>

Hope to...if I get a invitation from PSA or I can bum an invite from someone on the board(Thanks Mike for the last 2 years)...I got to talk to Mr Spence last year about his collection and family ties to Alabama..He has a sister living very close to me.
    Well my wife decided to MAKE me go even though she will be having Cancer Surgery very soon.She has been diagnosed with stage 2 Lung cancer on her right lung no lymph noids
    affected "Thank God".She knows I look forward to going and will have plenty of caregivers (My Adult Kids) while I am gone so my plans are made for the Baltimore Hilton.
    I hope to meet many of you folks there.Coming by Amtrak as I can not do long distance driving because of bad disks and only fly when I absolutley have to and then I have to be half in the bag before I board the plane.Will be there Wed through Sat am.
  • bkingbking Posts: 3,095 ✭✭

<< <i>Well my wife decided to MAKE me go even though she will be having Cancer Surgery very soon.She has been diagnosed with stage 2 Lung cancer on her right lung no lymph noids
    affected "Thank God".She knows I look forward to going and will have plenty of caregivers (My Adult Kids) while I am gone so my plans are made for the Baltimore Hilton.
    I hope to meet many of you folks there.Coming by Amtrak as I can not do long distance driving because of bad disks and only fly when I absolutley have to and then I have to be half in the bag before I board the plane.Will be there Wed through Sat am. >>

Hmm, I think you should fly. Half in the bag, arriving at the National??? What could go wrong??image
    ----------------------
    Working on the following: 1970 Baseball PSA, 1970-1976 Raw, World Series Subsets PSA, 1969 Expansion Teams PSA, Fleer World Series Sets, Texas Rangers Topps Run 1972-1989
    ----------------------

Successful deals to date: thedudeabides,gameusedhoop,golfcollector,tigerdean,treetop,bkritz, CapeMOGuy,WeekendHacker,jeff8877,backbidder,Salinas,milbroco,bbuckner22,VitoCo1972,ddfamf,gemint,K,fatty macs,waltersobchak,dboneesq

<< <i>

<< <i>Well my wife decided to MAKE me go even though she will be having Cancer Surgery very soon.She has been diagnosed with stage 2 Lung cancer on her right lung no lymph noids
    I hope to meet many of you folks there.Coming by Amtrak as I can not do long distance driving because of bad disks and only fly when I absolutley have to and then I have to be half in the bag before I board the plane.Will be there Wed through Sat am. >>

Hmm, I think you should fly. Half in the bag, arriving at the National??? What could go wrong??image >>

If something should go wrong while I am gone I will fly back.Half in the bag.
  • bkingbking Posts: 3,095 ✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

Hmm, I think you should fly. Half in the bag, arriving at the National??? What could go wrong??image >>

If something should go wrong while I am gone I will fly back.Half in the bag. >>

I just re-read my post, and I very sorry that it sounded like I was making ANY light of your situation. I was trying to make a joke about showing up at the National "half in the bag" with money to spend. Sorry if it came across any differently.
    ----------------------
    Working on the following: 1970 Baseball PSA, 1970-1976 Raw, World Series Subsets PSA, 1969 Expansion Teams PSA, Fleer World Series Sets, Texas Rangers Topps Run 1972-1989
    ----------------------

Successful deals to date: thedudeabides,gameusedhoop,golfcollector,tigerdean,treetop,bkritz, CapeMOGuy,WeekendHacker,jeff8877,backbidder,Salinas,milbroco,bbuckner22,VitoCo1972,ddfamf,gemint,K,fatty macs,waltersobchak,dboneesq
  • DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭

<< <i>I just re-read my post, and I very sorry that it sounded like I was making ANY light of your situation. I was trying to make a joke about showing up at the National "half in the bag" with money to spend. Sorry if it came across any differently. >>

Bob, I took it to mean going to the National drunk and spending all your friggin money in the first hour! (That old Italian guy from Detroit is a little slow! LOL) THAT would make for some review of your purchases the next morning. Tony ... if there is any way I can make it there (probably not) we are going to get drunk together!

Glad that things are looking up for Annie.
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • yanyak5yanyak5 Posts: 1,383 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I'm doing the Hilton. >>

Same here. Hotel is booked! Can anyone recommend a unique restaurant in the area? Good seafood is a plus!...
    Looking for an 8x10 auto photo of junior celebrating his 100 HR. lmk!

<< <i>

Same here. Hotel is booked! Can anyone recommend a unique restaurant in the area? Good seafood is a plus! Preferably no chain restaurants... >>

Google...Inner Harbour, Baltimore...tons of restaurants.

<< <i>

<< <i>

Same here. Hotel is booked! Can anyone recommend a unique restaurant in the area? Good seafood is a plus! Preferably no chain restaurants... >>

Google...Inner Harbour, Baltimore...tons of restaurants. >>

Ya All we should get together LMK.
  • Let's go here:

Fogo de Chão
    (410) 528-9292
    Inner Harbor
    600 E Pratt St
    Baltimore, MD 21202

Ooooohhhhhhh yeah !!!
  • alnavmanalnavman Posts: 4,129 ✭✭✭
    wish I could attend but my son starts college in the fall and I just can't be asking for too many days off from my job.....I know I'll be going next year, it's in cleveland if I am correct.......al.
  • dmurphy3mvpdmurphy3mvp Posts: 264 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Very nice and expensive >>

Mrmint23, don't take this the wrong way, but you probably don't spend too much time with card dealers. A dealer could have had a terrible day at a show, sold maybe enough to cover his table fees, let alone hotel and gas, then later that evening, he will find the best restaurant in the city and drop $200 on dinner and drinks. This is the life of a baseball card dealer - we spare no expense when it comes to food. An fellow dealer once coined this phrase as the baseball card dealer's motto, "You don't have to be hungry to eat."

Reed Kasaoka
    Buyer, Baseball Card Exchange

cell: (808) 372-1974
    email: ReedBBCE@gmail.com
    eBay stores: bbcexchange, bbcexchange2, bbcexchange3, bbcexchange4

• jmmiller777jmmiller777 Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Wife is going so we are staying at the Sheraton Inner Harbor $5.00 self parking per day.If I was going by myself I would stay in the cheapest place I could find.We are celebrating our ten year anniversary during the National.Does anyone know of any really nice restaurants I can take her to. >>

Fogo de Chao
    B&O American Brasserie
    Antrim 1844
    Kali's Court

Yes, Fogo De Chao for the ultimate meat fest, Brazilian style. If you want some Italian, try any of the restaurants in the "Little Italy" part of town. Very good.

CURRENT PROJECTS IN WORK:
    To be honest, no direction, but...
    1966-69 Topps EX+
    1975 minis NrMt Kelloggs PSA 9
    All Topps Heritage-Master Sets
  • Reed, with all due respect, not all dealers are that stupid.
  • Topps29Topps29 Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭
    Any good Italian places near the inner harbor?

<< <i>Any good Italian places near the inner harbor? >>

if there is lmk

• << <i>Any good Italian places near the inner harbor? >>

http://baltimore.about.com/od/fooddrink/tp/LittleItalyDiningGuide.htm