Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

1938 nickel pattern???

closing on ebay in like 20 mins...never seen anything like it...struck in alumimun
1938 nickel on ebay
everything in life is but merely on loan to us by our appreciation....lose your appreciation and see

Comments

• Options
    It's in Norway, run, run.

Ron
    Collect for the love of the hobby, the beauty of the coins, and enjoy the ride.
  • Options
    lasvegasteddylasvegasteddy Posts: 10,408 ✭✭✭
    ever see anything like it???
    everything in life is but merely on loan to us by our appreciation....lose your appreciation and see

• Options
    No, it's probably a fantasy piece.
    But I could be wrong. It doesn't resemble any of the patterns I have ever seen for
    the Jefferson Nickel.

Ron

Collect for the love of the hobby, the beauty of the coins, and enjoy the ride.
  • Options
    illini420illini420 Posts: 11,466 ✭✭✭✭✭
    There was one in the patterns section of the last Goldberg auction. Forgot what it went for. BNB also has one for sale on eBay, now doing business under qualityrarecoins:

Link to eBay
  • Options
    Common as hen's teeth.
  • Options
    so i guess this was "per se" a fantasy piece
    some london guy bought this plaster of a submitted design by a dutch artist who lost to felix
    the guy in london had dies made from the plasters he bought from stacks auction
    i guess he struck shy of 2,000 pieces
    not so sure as common as hens teeth but the history behind these are neat

• Options
    Well, here's another one, by Christian Arpad Jakobb:

• Options
    GaCoinGuyGaCoinGuy Posts: 2,723 ✭✭✭✭
    I kinda like the reverse on that Jakobb piece.
    imageimage

• Options
    No this was not a fantasy piece.
  • Options

<< <i>No this was not a fantasy piece. >>

from what i read on them...they fit that mold fine
    the piece never was minted by the us nor were dies ever made/cut from the plaster molds
    someone had a fantasy to make dies from the plaster and mint them

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just a curio.... Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    TomBTomB Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I do not believe pattern is the correct term for this piece. It is a privately produced piece based upon a submission for the coin, but as far as I understand was never considered a pattern or even thought of as a serious contender.
    Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,564 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>so i guess this was "per se" a fantasy piece
    some london guy bought this plaster of a submitted design by a dutch artist who lost to felix
    the guy in london had dies made from the plasters he bought from stacks auction
    i guess he struck shy of 2,000 pieces
    not so sure as common as hens teeth but the history behind these are neat >>

I remember seeing the plasters at the Stacks table at an ANA convention. The dies were made later, and they did not do a very good job of copying them. See that row of dots above the right side of the building? That is supposed to be the top of a tree.

I thought these were struck in silver, but I may be wrong.

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options

<< <i>I thought these were struck in silver, but I may be wrong. >>

Yah, sterling, which is why it seems odd.
  • Options
    off all things that surprise me is that "the men in black" don't have this on a hit list

they'll go after any n all 33' saints or 64 peace
    69 ddo lincolns even made such list at one time

but here
    a foreigner in another country produces coins bearing us five cents
    hmmm

btw..."I remember seeing the plasters at the Stacks table at an ANA convention"
    thats kool

• Options
    19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,475 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>There was one in the patterns section of the last Goldberg auction. Forgot what it went for. BNB also has one for sale on eBay, now doing business under qualityrarecoins:

Link to eBay >>

So did our buddy just "make up" that image of the piece selling in the August 2001 Auction?
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • Options
    19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,475 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>There was one in the patterns section of the last Goldberg auction. Forgot what it went for. BNB also has one for sale on eBay, now doing business under qualityrarecoins:

Link to eBay >>

So did our buddy just "make up" that image of the piece selling in the August 2001 Auction? >>

Here's the Heritage Listing.

What's wrong here? $920 in 2001 and $57 this week?
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,564 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Why does the listing say 1916 G$! J-1802?

Hacked listing?
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    CameonutCameonut Posts: 7,258 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've had two of these in my showcase for the last three shows. Priced at $20 each.

A number of people have looked at them, but none have pulled the trigger. Interesting pieces, but obviously not everyones cup of tea.

“In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." - Thomas Jefferson

My digital cameo album 1950-64 Cameos - take a look!

• Options

<< <i>I've had two of these in my showcase for the last three shows. Priced at $20 each.

A number of people have looked at them, but none have pulled the trigger. Interesting pieces, but obviously not everyones cup of tea. >>

EBAY MIGHT BE YOUR FRIEND THERE...image

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file