Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

A Cleaned SLQ 1917 Type I

Had this coin maybe 35 or more years. Too bad it was cleaned but then we didn't know it was all that bad. Around here there were no real experts to talk to about coins.

Ron

Collect for the love of the hobby, the beauty of the coins, and enjoy the ride.

Comments

• Options
    lasvegasteddylasvegasteddy Posts: 10,408 ✭✭✭
    at least she doesn't have enviromental damage or nasty scratches
    pretty n sweet looking slq there
    everything in life is but merely on loan to us by our appreciation....lose your appreciation and see

• Options
    MeltdownMeltdown Posts: 8,673 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>at least she doesn't have enviromental damage or nasty scratches
    pretty n sweet looking slq there >>

I agree. It's still an attractive coin. Are there scrub marks that just aren't showing up in the photos or was it dipped?
  • Options

<< <i>

I agree. It's still an attractive coin. Are there scrub marks that just aren't showing up in the photos or was it dipped? >>

It looks to have been dipped. I don't see any scratches on the fields anywhere.
    I believe I bought that one at a local coin show in the 70's. A lot of dealers worked like used car salesmen back then, polish the chrome and it will sell.

Ron
    Collect for the love of the hobby, the beauty of the coins, and enjoy the ride.
  • Options
    MeltdownMeltdown Posts: 8,673 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

I agree. It's still an attractive coin. Are there scrub marks that just aren't showing up in the photos or was it dipped? >>

It looks to have been dipped. I don't see any scratches on the fields anywhere.
    I believe I bought that one at a local coin show in the 70's. A lot of dealers worked like used car salesmen back then, polish the chrome and it will sell.

Ron >>

Funny how times have changed. I wasn't collecting back when it was acceptable to shine em up... It's a bit hard to believe that it was common practice. "Original is Best" is all I've ever known whether it's coins or anything else antique.
  • Options
    toss her in a taco bell napkin on the water heater for about 6 or 8 months...you'd be amazed how you'd acquire deeper love for her...image
    everything in life is but merely on loan to us by our appreciation....lose your appreciation and see

• Options
    GaCoinGuyGaCoinGuy Posts: 2,724 ✭✭✭✭
    Would look great in an album. Give her a few years and that cleaning might turn into some purty colors.

I recently was given a T1 SLQ in an NGC Details. Said it had scratches, but you have to tilt it at the right angle to really see em.
    imageimage

• Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,218 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That's a sharp one. Talk about Full Head! Wow.

I had one quite similar (MS63-64 FH details, I guess) that had been dipped. The old PCI, who I was using at the time (this around 1998 or 1999) gave it a red label for "Cleaned". That disenchanted me and I "dumped" the coin. Traded it away for a ridiculous lowball amount, as I recall. I should have held onto it for a while. It was a helluva nice coin, despite the cleaning, just as yours is.

I agree with GaCoinGuy- stick that puppy in an album or old school folder for several years, and it might pick up some pretty secondary toning.

Regardless, I think it's lovely just as it is. I'm not one of those who's dead set against white coins.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    great giveaway btw
    count me in
    hehehe
    the price of these slq's seem to be holding their own of late too

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That is a nice coin... if you must have tarnish, just put it in a ziploc with some crushed, hardboiled egg yolks for a few days... Or some blackpowder.. lots of ways to get that ugly tarnish, and it will look natural if done carefully. There are many in slabs today. Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    Timbuk3Timbuk3 Posts: 11,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's still a very nice coin !!!
    Timbuk3
  • Options
    Put it in a sunny window sill for a few months?

Mark
    The Secret Of Success Law:
    Discover all unpredictable errors before they occur.
  • Options

<< <i>It's still a very nice coin !!! >>

• Options
    robkoolrobkool Posts: 5,934 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not a bad coin at all... Even the full head is nice & sharp too. image
    It's a good thing I still have most of my full head SLQ's... Cleaned, or not. image

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file