Home U.S. Coin Forum

GRADE MY TRADE

knowing very little about trade dollars, i thought i would share this one and ask for grade opinions before attepting to sell it, my guess would be in the 30-35 range ?

regardless of how many posts I have, I don't consider myself an "expert" at anything

Comments

• ShamikaShamika Posts: 18,759 ✭✭✭✭
    VF-30
    Buyer and seller of vintage coin boards!
  • ShamikaShamika Posts: 18,759 ✭✭✭✭
    Color looks a bit off. Could be your method of imaging however.

Buyer and seller of vintage coin boards!
  • guitarwesguitarwes Posts: 9,237 ✭✭✭

mid-VF
    @ Elite CNC Routing & Woodworks on Facebook. Check out my work.
    Too many positive BST transactions with too many members to list.
  • ebaybuyerebaybuyer Posts: 2,984 ✭✭✭
    "Color looks a bit off. Could be your method of imaging however" <<< yes its a bit darker than the scan, may be time to upgrade from my 5 year old HP scanner.
    regardless of how many posts I have, I don't consider myself an "expert" at anything
  • GoldbullyGoldbully Posts: 16,823 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>knowing very little about trade dollars, i thought i would share this one and ask for grade opinions before attepting to sell it, my guess would be in the 30-35 range ?

image >>

VF-35

Could have been dipped a good ways back....hard to tell from the images.
    Can you zoom a bit closer with the camera??
  • I would say not a 35, from looking at my 35... Color is too uniform- cleaned? Worth getting graded for authentication- so many fakes out there- if it isn't fake or cleaned it's a beauty!
    This is so fun
  • vf25, It looks authentic to me.
    Positive BST transactions:michaeldixon,nibanny,
    type2,CCHunter.
  • TennesseeDaveTennesseeDave Posts: 4,737 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It looks to be real and has 35 details. Not sure if it has been cleaned or just dipped,but a little too bright for a circulated Trade dollar IMO.

edited to add: If thats a scan of the coin the color may not be as bad as I first thought.
    Trade $'s
  • ebaybuyerebaybuyer Posts: 2,984 ✭✭✭
    my scanner makes it look quite a bit lighter than it actually is
  • MikeInFLMikeInFL Posts: 10,188 ✭✭✭✭
    XF detals, cleaned.
    Collector of Large Cents, US Type, and modern pocket change.
  • MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,123 ✭✭✭✭✭
    are you sure it hasn't been cleaned or dipped out and recolored?

Even darker coins can be altered surfaces.
    Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,123 ✭✭✭✭✭
    here's a cleaned one for comparison.

It's the flatness of the coloring
    Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • OriginalDanOriginalDan Posts: 3,713 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I say VF35 and dipped, possibly cleaned, but may still grade if the surfaces are not harsh.
  • lasvegasteddylasvegasteddy Posts: 10,408 ✭✭✭
    cleaned xf territory
    everything in life is but merely on loan to us by our appreciation....lose your appreciation and see

• OriginalDanOriginalDan Posts: 3,713 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It might actually pass as an XF40, only because the '77 is notoriously poorly struck, especially in the head and surrounding stars area. Do the PCGS graders take this into account? I dunno. Notice that toe detail remains even though the head and stars are fairly flat.

FWIW, I've found that what is "market acceptable" for trade dollars is a bit more lenient than it is for say, Morgans. At best I could see it net grading, but probably not. At least the rims are in good shape.
  • PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,296 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Looks VF30 cleaned from your pics. Can we get better pics?

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    VF30-35 ... pictures appear quite lifeless..... could be better. Cheers, RickO

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file