Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Sending out a money order for an Ebay transaction

I'm not at all familiar with money orders and I bought an item from a seller who doesn't have a working paypal. I'm contemplating canceling the transaction, is there any sort of protection for sending a postal money order out? I know not through ebay, but is it worth the risk? It's a $60 item and the seller has enough feedback, but nothing new for at least 5 years. Any and all opinions would be appreciated, thanks.
My eBay Store =)

"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind." Dr. Seuss

Comments

• Options
    Postal Money Order, not a Convenience Store/Shopping Center. Feds are on your side.
  • Options
    I thought sellers were required to accept either paypal or another form of online payment...
    Rick Probstein
    Ebay Store:
    Probstein123
    phone: 973 747 6304
    email: rickprobstein1@gmail.com

Probstein123 is actively accepting CONSIGNMENTS !!
  • Options
    I remember paying with a check or people sending me money orders in the early 2000's before paypal became commonly used. Never had an issue.
  • Options
    swartz1swartz1 Posts: 4,911 ✭✭✭
    I would not - I dont think you will get the item...

that would be a steal...

Looking for 1970 MLB Photostamps
    - uncut

Positive Transactions - tennesseebanker, Ahmanfan, Donruss, Colebear, CDsNuts, rbdjr1, Downtown1974, yankeeno7, drewsef, mnolan, mrbud60, msassin, RipublicaninMass, AkbarClone, rustywilly, lsutigers1973, julen23 and nam812, plus many others...
  • Options
    Rick is 100% right, the seller must take Paypal payments to sell on Ebay.
    From what I can tell, 707 is the DOLLAR STORE compared to deans_cards. For what that guy charges, if I ever bought anything from him I would expect it to be delivered to me in a frickin' limo.
    ~WalterSobchak
  • Options
    Do not send!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Miconelegacy Auctions
    "Live everyday, don't throw it away"
  • Options
    NickMNickM Posts: 4,896 ✭✭✭
    Any ebay seller could set up a PayPal account in minutes. Tell him to set one up, or you'll have to report the matter to eBay.

No feedback in 5 years plus no PayPal account means a real risk of a hijacked eBay account, which means you'd be out the money.

Nick
    Reap the whirlwind.

Need to buy something for the wife or girlfriend? Check out Vintage Designer Clothing.
  • Options
    JHS5120JHS5120 Posts: 1,968 ✭✭✭
    The address he asked me to send the MO to is in NYC, my brother lives on the other side of town but agreed to pick up the item after work. I emailed the seller this and he said that was fine. Now I don't know what to think!!
    My eBay Store =)

"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind." Dr. Seuss
  • Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,523 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If he hasn't sold anything in 5 years it's not that surprising that he doesn't have a paypal account as back then it wasn't required to sell on ebay. I doubt he would scam you for $60 but it's true you don't have any protection if he does.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    swartz1swartz1 Posts: 4,911 ✭✭✭

<< <i>The address he asked me to send the MO to is in NYC, my brother lives on the other side of town but agreed to pick up the item after work. I emailed the seller this and he said that was fine. Now I don't know what to think!! >>

Do this...

Looking for 1970 MLB Photostamps
    - uncut

Positive Transactions - tennesseebanker, Ahmanfan, Donruss, Colebear, CDsNuts, rbdjr1, Downtown1974, yankeeno7, drewsef, mnolan, mrbud60, msassin, RipublicaninMass, AkbarClone, rustywilly, lsutigers1973, julen23 and nam812, plus many others...
  • Options
    brendanb438brendanb438 Posts: 1,595 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>The address he asked me to send the MO to is in NYC, my brother lives on the other side of town but agreed to pick up the item after work. I emailed the seller this and he said that was fine. Now I don't know what to think!! >>

Do this... >>

Have your brother pay him cash for the item at the time he hands the item over to your brother. Easy enough.
  • Options
    vladguerrerovladguerrero Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭
    I recently bought an item and the guy only take Propay, refuses Paypal even if I pay his fee's, no mention in the auction description, kind of a hassle...
  • Options
    SouthsiderSouthsider Posts: 1,043 ✭✭✭
    Back in the day, a good number of my ebay transactions were check or money order. That was before Ebay bought Paypal and formed its cartel. But now, Ebay has everyone scared that if you buy or sell anything without using Paypal, then you will get scammed. Of course, they get their additional cut of the transaction if you use Paypal, so why wouldn't Ebay want to require you to use it?
  • Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    Cancel, too many red flags.

Good for you.
  • Options
    JHS5120JHS5120 Posts: 1,968 ✭✭✭
    Everything worked out! My brother picked it up no problems =]
    My eBay Store =)

• Options
    Yankees001Yankees001 Posts: 1,496
    I would not not send a money order. it's just so 1990's.

Just cancel the transaction and Neg him.

Dave
  • Options
    heritageheritage Posts: 2,662 ✭✭✭
    I only buy on Ebay and i only pay with a postal money order.
    I will never have paypal.
  • Options
    I will gladly take Postal Money order. In fact I prefer it. No fees