Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

1931 100 Mil Palestine Mandate was graded! #updated 2-12-14

Yup one surfaced and was graded by PCGS MS63 and is the only MS example ever graded.

I admit when I noticed that - my heart skipped 4 beats and I ran to get some bourbon. image

Who are you?

Please PM me (if you want to remain private), and forward a scan I'd like to reference it.

This is the holy grail of the entire Mandate series (1927-1946) and is the toughest date to find.

My feeble attempt at this one for over a decade is a current AU58(PCGS) which is truly IMHO an MS61 - and you know I'm a grade assassin
so it most likely is an MS61image

Comments

• Options
    ZoharZohar Posts: 6,629 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    marcmoishmarcmoish Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭✭✭
    A few weeks ago I had an identity crisis!

I'm cured!

Now talk to me about the issue at handimage
  • Options
    Where did you see it posted? Did you go for it?
  • Options
    Nope on the Pop reports!
  • Options
    TwoKopeikiTwoKopeiki Posts: 9,539 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If Gary wasn't selling his Palestine Mandate collection, I would suspect him image
  • Options
    I wudda known if it was Gary'simage

Seems to be more than just a few putting together complete sets - I hope the owner will contact me with clear scans.

I promise I won't make any offers on it image
  • Options
    Looks like a guy named spooky is building a set and has the coin.
    Lurker since '02. Got the seven year itch!

Gary
  • Options
    I wonder how broad the collector base is for these. I assume it has expanded with Middle Eastern collectors over the years. any idea?
  • Options
    It has def grown in last few years - more so in the past 24 months.

There is more interest in these today than even a few years ago - it's a short obsolete 20th century period of only 20 years of dates running only 59 pieces to complete the entire run and its got English, Hebrew and Arabic on them all so hence the interest.

I know of directly or indirectly of 6 collectors putting together complete better grade to high end sets both here in the States, and overseas... there are many I am sure I do not know obviously..

Gary I just noticed Spooky actually - there is no email address so I hope eventually I can see this new example. Perhaps it is the one I sold 30 years ago to Berlin who sold his collection about 10 years ago. That one was graded BU!

• Options
    Hello, I found this forum when searching for any reference to Palestine coins. I am not a collector but just received a small box of coins with a few of these in it. No idea of grading but these coins have obviously been circulated. Just looking for some advice about selling them. Probably worth a lot more to a collector than to me. 1927 50 Mils, 1934 50 Mils, 1927 100 Mils, 1931 100 Mils. From what I have researched the 1931 is the most valuable. I have scanned it and here is the link. Any advice will be appreciated.

Coin Scans
  • Options
    hi snow - looks like the '31 would grade VF35 or Ef40 by either PCGS or NGC. Value is about $200 probably... if you want to sell it - best venue for that one is probably EBAY . Your picture is clear and shows an original but circulated coin so you'll get top dollar - good luck.
  • Options
    ...of interest to Palestine Mandate collectors...

A little sidebar to this thread from 2012.... I submitted this 1931 100 Mils (graded AU58) for reconsideration via Heritage and it came back today MS62.

That is the biggest single achievement for myself in completing this set that is now being sold In April (CICF).

That one belonged in an MS holder and it finally got it.

Another side-note is the MS63 example I mentioned above is indeed the Howard Berlin example that I sold him in early '80's. I have seen this lone example again and it is the same one I handled and sold...love it as much as I loved it 30+ years ago.

In Feb 2013 the Kagan-Maremba museum example graded PCGS MS62. This is the 2nd known example ever recorded. That example was compared side by side, and was a twin brother to mine!

The Kagan-Maremba collection (62 pcs..59pc set - 3 dupes) sold privately to a Middle Eastern collector in late April 2013 for $40,000. All dates were represented but the grades only ranged from AU55 to MS62. All were graded by PCGS. There were no high grade key dates in this set! The 1931 100 Mil was the highlight of this offering hence it seems the averaged out price of this piece alone is about $25,000 which is by far the highest price paid for a regular Mandate series coin to date. This is the key of the series and the centerpiece of any complete 59 pc date set of the series.

Boy has this series heated up in last few years image

When HA puts up ALL the pieces I'll give a shout out.
  • Options
    Awesome Marc!!!

When ready let us start the marketing effort for the set!
  • Options
    SYRACUSIANSYRACUSIAN Posts: 6,448 ✭✭✭✭
    I second Zohar's opinion.

Did you specifically ask Heritage to resubmit some or all of your coins before the upcoming sale, or was it their decision?

Even if it's a twin to the similarly graded Kagan-Maremba collection piece, it seems to me that the submitter's identity weighs in on the final grades.
    Dimitri

myEbay

DPOTD 3
  • Options
    7Jaguars7Jaguars Posts: 7,268 ✭✭✭✭✭
    And not to generalize the point, but despite dogma to the contrary, I believe this to be a factor. IMO, the Millennium Sale coins demo'd this. And other examples as well - even thought they were nice coins, some of the Terner coins followed this a bit.
    Love that Milled British (1830-1960)
    Well, just Love coins, period.
  • Options
    Yes I suggested they look at 10 of the 59 pcs that I thought deserve a "+" or an upgrade.

Seems their experts agreed and send those pcs out to PCGS.
    Four of the ten upgraded higher which is great but none received a + altogether and I'm wondering if they forgot about that as they all merited it. image

It also seems HA cracked them out prior to sending them as all ten received new cert #'s.

Regardless they stand out on their own..just thought to capitalize on it..

I'm unsure if the fact that HA sent them in made a difference but I concur it might very well have, and totally agree with you.
  • Options
    HA advised me they did NOT crack it out actually, and that would be too much of a liability for them...so no clue how they got new cert#'s but that the new holder is much clearer!

• Options
    LochNESSLochNESS Posts: 4,829 ✭✭✭
    Interesting on many counts, but regarding the cert #'s … trying to recall the details of PCGS reconsideration vs. restoration processes. And they've got a new service now, I think. Or is reconsideration the new one? Obviously it's a little too confusing / too many choices for me. image
    ANA LM • WBCC 429

Amat Colligendo Focum

Top 10FOR SALE