Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

Dmitri Young selling his rookie card collection.

JoeOrlandoPSA profile

JoeOrlandoPSA MLB player Dmitri Young is selling his incredible PSA-graded rookie card collection through SCP Auctions in May:

Just saw this.
Good for you.

Comments

• BunkerBunker Posts: 3,926
    I wonder what his Aaron RC in PSA 10 will bring?

My daughter was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes at the age of 2 (2003). My son was diagnosed with Type 1 when he was 17 on December 31, 2009. We were stunned that another child of ours had been diagnosed. Please, if you don't have a favorite charity, consider giving to the JDRF (Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation)

JDRF Donation
  • swartz1swartz1 Posts: 4,911 ✭✭✭
    perfect time to sell...IMO

Looking for 1970 MLB Photostamps
    - uncut

Positive Transactions - tennesseebanker, Ahmanfan, Donruss, Colebear, CDsNuts, rbdjr1, Downtown1974, yankeeno7, drewsef, mnolan, mrbud60, msassin, RipublicaninMass, AkbarClone, rustywilly, lsutigers1973, julen23 and nam812, plus many others...
  • Mickey71Mickey71 Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭✭
    And Donald Spence wins whatever he wants.image
  • I'll be bidding...
    Rick Probstein
    Ebay Store:
    Probstein123
    phone: 973 747 6304
    email: rickprobstein1@gmail.com

Probstein123 is actively accepting CONSIGNMENTS !!

• << <i>JoeOrlandoPSA profile

JoeOrlandoPSA MLB player Dmitri Young is selling his incredible PSA-graded rookie card collection through SCP Auctions in May:

Just saw this. >>

I wonder if DY has run out of money... is he still playing????

• << <i>And Donald Spence wins whatever he wants.image >>

So true. But we could start an organization and buy cards as a group. 100 people own 1%, everyone buys in, vote on cards to buy, just saying...
    Miconelegacy Auctions
    "Live everyday, don't throw it away"
  • I'm pretty sure I heard that he has the holy grail of the 1955 Topps set, the Clemente rookie card in PSA 10.

I'm in for $100, now I just need 1,000 more friends to join in image Seriously though, it would be one of the highlights of my collecting life just to see that card.

Chad
    1955 Topps is done!
    working on 1956 Topps in PSA 6-7
  • DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭

<< <i>I'm pretty sure I heard that he has the holy grail of the 1955 Topps set, the Clemente rookie card in PSA 10.
    I'm in for $100, now I just need 1,000 more friends to join in image Seriously though, it would be one of the highlights of my collecting life just to see that card. Chad >>

YUP ... Like the '60 Yaz, it's a 1 of 1.
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • jersterjerster Posts: 828 ✭✭✭
    Might as well sell them now before the world ends in Dec.
  • DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭

<< <i>I wonder if DY has run out of money... is he still playing???? >>

He is retired. If he is out of money ... WOW ... can't say much more than that.

MLB Player Salary - Dmitri Young

2009 Washington Nationals $ 5,000,000
    2008 Washington Nationals $ 5,000,000
    2007 Washington Nationals $ 500,000
    2006 Detroit Tigers $ 8,000,000
    2005 Detroit Tigers $ 8,000,000
    2004 Detroit Tigers $ 7,750,000
    2003 Detroit Tigers $ 6,750,000
    2002 Detroit Tigers $ 5,500,000
    2001 Cincinnati Reds $ 3,500,000
    2001 Cincinnati Reds $ 3,500,000
    2000 Cincinnati Reds $ 1,950,000
    1999 Cincinnati Reds $ 375,000
    1998 Cincinnati Reds $ 215,000
    1997 St. Louis Cardinals $ 155,000

YUP ... FIFTY-SIX MILLION DOLLARS ... $56,000,000.00
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • thehallmarkthehallmark Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I'll be bidding... >>

Is there just one particular whale in mind or is this a land grab for you?
  • brendanb438brendanb438 Posts: 1,595 ✭✭✭
    Well if he went this crazy spending money on baseball cards just imagine what he probably blew on stuff like cars and homes. I bet we will see in the news in the next 6 months that he is filing for bankruptcy.
  • Dmitri hasn't officially retired yet. According to Rotoworld.com, Dmitri worked out for the Pirates and the Phillies just a couple weeks ago (mid-February) in hopes of getting signed

Dmitri Young Rotoworld Player Page
  • gemintgemint Posts: 6,066 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Dmitri hasn't officially retired yet. According to Rotoworld.com, Dmitri worked out for the Pirates and the Phillies just a couple weeks ago (mid-February) in hopes of getting signed

Dmitri Young Rotoworld Player Page >>

If you can't get signed by the Pirates, you are pretty much retired. LOL. I say that as a Pirate fan. image
  • handymanhandyman Posts: 5,237 ✭✭✭✭✭
    the clemente was sold for I believe 100-120K so he will win on that one. And its a big one. I dont think he will lose as much as people think. He bought high end and Rcs. I know he did go crazy on a few. But he bought the good stuff.
  • StoogeStooge Posts: 4,639 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Don't forget he own the Thomas Frank N.N.O.F. 1990 PSA 10 (1/0). I wonder what that card will sell for?

Paul.

Later, Paul.
  • Is there just one particular whale in mind or is this a land grab for you?
    the 55 clemente
    Rick Probstein
    Ebay Store:
    Probstein123

• EchoCanyonEchoCanyon Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭
    Speaking of incredible cards, over President's weekend, I was in Cooperstown.
    They have a collection of cards on loan from Ken Kendrick, including an Rookie Aaron -- PSA 10 and "THE" Wagner card owned by Gretzky.

Kendrick article
  • MBMiller25MBMiller25 Posts: 6,057 ✭✭
    I want the 48 Bowman Musial PSA 10. I'll be tracking it, might need to sell everything I own to do it.
  • 48 Bowman Musial PSA 10
    ==> go for it !!
    Rick Probstein
    Ebay Store:
    Probstein123

• Dpeck100Dpeck100 Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What would you expect a card of that magnitude to sell for?

• MBMiller25MBMiller25 Posts: 6,057 ✭✭
    $45K-$75K

Edit to add: I really have no idea what it will sell for.
  • Instead of a REIT, how about a SCIT???

Sports Card Investment Trust. You think I'm kidding, I'm not. Buying power in numbers...
    Miconelegacy Auctions
    "Live everyday, don't throw it away"
  • I hope Dmitri is somehow able to keep his collection. I cant imagine building a collection like this and then selling it, I just dont think I could do that. I saw his collection on some tv show and just cant get those cards out of my mind!! Better than gold!
  • Antoine and Dr. J sells their rings, Dmitri sells his cards. How can they be outta money already?

• fur72fur72 Posts: 2,348 ✭✭
    Did he get a divorce? That never helps a guys cash flow. I saw Jeff Gordons ex-wife got his 1998 Winston Cup Champion trophy and it recenly sold at auction. Damn dames!

This will be an auction of epic porpotions. I would have to think he would come out well ahead after all is said and done depending on how much he paid his "finder" to out and get these cards. I am sure he is getting one heck of a discount on catalog and final sale fees.
  • 10-4 good buddy. bootches got the say so.
  • Any estimates on the Aaron?
    My favorite ball players throughout the years: Hank Aaron, Dale Murphy, Ellis Burks, Lance Berkman
  • DtyDty Posts: 310 ✭✭
    This is actually a great idea. I actually do something like this with 6-8 buddies. When the stock markets started taking a turn for the worse, 6 of us put together an LLC (one of the investors is an atty), and each invested the same amount to start our "buying pot." The idea was to invest in very high end items (usually from auction houses), hold for at as long as need be....sometimes 6 months, sometimes couple of years and see if we can turn a minimum of 20% profit, if not a whole lot more. We look for game used bats, uniforms, sealed cases of unopened product or nicely graded key cards (i.e. 52 Mantle in the best grade we can afford).....Need to buy limited items so there will be interest in the item in the future.

I think it would very cool to do what you mention, but there is always the trust factor and tax issues to work through when talking the kind of money needed to actually invest in any item of real value....

Link to my eBay Store: http://stores.ebay.com/halftimecardsandcollectibles/

Unopened Boxes, Packs, Cards, and Tickets

Just send me a PM or email me for discount off eBay pricing. Thanks
  • JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,171 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Don't forget the '55 Killebrew only 10 graded. That's the true "Holy Grail" of the set as far as I am concerned.

Joe
    2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • handymanhandyman Posts: 5,237 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Its just crazy to sell all of these at one time. I mean it took him millions and years to put them together. Why sell all at the same time.
    Wish he didnt go!