Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Newps Franklins with a lot of color... Finally graded

I finally decided to send these in. Both came back MS65FBL image. I think I did well for the $55 investment.

Just got these 2 Franklins. They have some lovely greens and look pretty nice. What do you think they would grade? The 50 P looks like the planchet had some scratches prior to striking. How do you tell for sure that they are prior to strike?

Thanks,
Richard
imageimage
imageimage

Comments

• Options
    raycycaraycyca Posts: 1,620 ✭✭✭
    A= MS 63 FBL
    B- MS 64

For you, I hope they come out better! Good luck!
    You only live life once, enjoy it like it's your last day. It just MIGHT be!

• Options
    deltadimemandeltadimeman Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭
    ms63fbl
    ms64+fbl
  • Options
    lasvegasteddylasvegasteddy Posts: 10,408 ✭✭✭
    ima bout lost on grading frankies(like most coins it seems)
    a)64 fbl
    b)63

interesting toning as that first one has an underlying tone then toning streaking across it too...(kinda like 2 tone patterns in one)
    the second one has lil splashes of color in the like sunrise coming up over the bell

nice lil frankies
    everything in life is but merely on loan to us by our appreciation....lose your appreciation and see

• Options
    georgiacop50georgiacop50 Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭✭
    The 50-D looks like it could 65FBL. The P might bag for planchet imperfections.
  • Options
    I thought those diagonal streaks were toning when I first looked, but if they actually cut into the surface (the one crossing the bell looks like it does) then they might not grade it, but I am no expert and I don't really like to offer grade opinions.

That said, I think they are two nice coins, the 50-P has a hammered reverse, so too bad about the defect. The 50-D is not easy to find with toning, personally I prefer toning on front and reverse, but still some pretty color on that reverse.

Not sure if they are worth submitting, why not just hold on to em' and enjoy them as they are?
  • Options
    mkman123mkman123 Posts: 6,849 ✭✭✭✭
    check what the prices are on these at the various grades: 63,64,etc. If you don't think it will get higher than a certain grade, don't even bother
    Successful Buying and Selling transactions with:

Many members on this forum that now it cannot fit in my signature. Please ask for entire list.
  • Options
    SkyManSkyMan Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm not a big fan of the P and would need to see it in hand to judge it's grade.

I think the D is QUITE attractive for the date/mm. There were no mint sets made in 1950, so finding a nicely toned '50 or '50-D is very difficult. Technically I'd put the '50-D on the border between 63FBL and 64FBL (the reverse looks like a 65 or 66, but the obverse holds it back), however, given the bump for color it will almost certainly get, I'd say 64FBL, with an outside shot at a 65FBL. One thing I wonder about is what is going on at 9 o'clock on the rim of the obverse near the I in IN.

Personally I don't think they are worth slabbing, but I definitely like the D.
  • Options
    gummibeargummibear Posts: 783 ✭✭✭
    Grades finally done. MS65fbl for both.
  • Options
    TonedCoinTraderTonedCoinTrader Posts: 2,765 ✭✭✭
    Nice Job on the Grades! how long did it take and what service level?

Toned Coins for sale @ tonedcointrader.com
  • Options
    gummibeargummibear Posts: 783 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Nice Job on the Grades! how long did it take and what service level? >>

I was slow not PCGS. I just used my CC freebies. Took them about 1 month. Took me about a year to make up my mind.

Richard
  • Options

The 50-D has PVC at 9:00 o'clock on the obverse and a diagonal scratch on the bell under the letters on the reverse. I don't think you will get a 65 grade on this coin.

Everybody's got plans--until they get hit
    --Mike Tyson

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file