Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Does this qualify as a moose Morgan?

I don't know what qualifies a coin to be a moose. Do you have to have both sides with great toning. Or, is it OK to only have one side that's got pretty toning to be a moose. Is it worth it to submit to CAC? I don't have a membership or a way to submit to them. The coin's graded as a PCGS MS 65+. Thanks a lot in advance for your opinions. Please be kind if it's just a run of the mill coin. I'm just going to add it to my toned Binion NGC coins I bought when they were first sold by Teletrade back in 2001 I think. That's about a dozen Ngc star coins including MS 66 stars that I can't take a good photo of to save my life. Maybe once a year take it out and remember what I have stored away like a squirrel. LOL

I don't see a die clash on the obverse. Thanks guys. I guess a moose means great toning on the OBV AND REV? Can anyone say in concrete terms what a moose is? Do either of these Kennedys look like a moose? Or are Kennedies modern crap? It's really hard to understand. It seems like all the coins in the Sunnywood collection are all accepted as mooses? Thanks again. Ray
The 1967 is the Obv and Rev shown seperately.

Here's the one that got away. Any special coin, or average?

Just for giggles, I bought this quarter for my Dansco. Not bad for a space filler.
You only live life once, enjoy it like it's your last day. It just MIGHT be!

Comments

• Options
    guitarwesguitarwes Posts: 9,241 ✭✭✭

Someone needs to take a wire brush to the Obverse. Very nice Rev!
    @ Elite CNC Routing & Woodworks on Facebook. Check out my work.
    Too many positive BST transactions with too many members to list.
  • Options
    blu62vetteblu62vette Posts: 11,901 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice but no moose.

http://www.bluccphotos.com" target="new">BluCC Photos Shows for onsite imaging: Nov Baltimore, FUN, Long Beach http://www.facebook.com/bluccphotos" target="new">BluCC on Facebook
  • Options
    DorkGirlDorkGirl Posts: 9,994 ✭✭✭
    It's half a moose...image
    Becky
  • Options
    CMCARTCMCART Posts: 1,409 ✭✭✭
    Very nice image
    Abraham Lincoln (February 12, 1809 – April 15, 1865)
    5$ bills are WOW with the numbers - wanted:
    Wanted - Flipper notes with the numbers 6-9 or 0-6-9 ON 1$ 2$ 5$ 10$ 20$
    Wanted - 10$ Sereis 2013 - fancy Serial Numbers
  • Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,513 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes, it's a half moose.

This is an example of the way toning can go on the same coin. Sometimes toning "takes" and it is beautiful let the reverse of this piece. Other times the coin tones, but it not so nice as it is on the obverese of this piece.
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    joeykoinsjoeykoins Posts: 14,933 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice reverse rainbow!Is that a die clash on the obverse,just left of U M?

"Jesus died for you and for me, Thank you,Jesus"!!!

--- If it should happen I die and leave this world and you want to remember me. Please only remember my opening Sig Line.
  • Options
    Raybob15239Raybob15239 Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭
    Sorry, b ut that obverse is just plain ugly. While I don't personally get the attraction to toned coins, I can respect that others find beauty in them. I can see where they would appreciate the reverse toning. Thoe obverse, though, hurts that coin, in my opinion.
    Successful B/S/T transactions: As Seller: PascoWA (June 2008); MsMorrisine (April 2009); ECHOES (July 2009) As Buyer: bfjohnson (July 2008); robkool (Dec 2010); itsnotjustme (Dec 2010) TwoSides2aCoin (Dec 2018) PrivateCoin Jan 2019
  • Options
    gripgrip Posts: 9,962 ✭✭✭✭✭
    TT, you out bid me..Nice p/up.
  • Options
    To be honest the Rev is a little Dark too.
  • Options
    BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 31,000 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Was on my watch list, but the obverse is in a word pukey.
  • Options
    lasvegasteddylasvegasteddy Posts: 10,408 ✭✭✭
    i'd say a moosette but...
    like when i became a moose my friends wife barked off with becoming a moosette and was told...
    female moose's are called...
    "COWS"
    j/k...nice reverse...nice coin
    everything in life is but merely on loan to us by our appreciation....lose your appreciation and see

• Options
    bestclser1bestclser1 Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭
    This side is much closer to moose statusimage[IMG]
    Great coins are not cheap,and cheap coins are not great!
  • Options
    BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't believe the pics posted are doing the coin any due justice.
    To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!
  • Options
    rheddenrhedden Posts: 6,621 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It would make "Moose" and " Sticker" and "+" all in one if it were a rare date like 1892-S.

• Options
    call it an otter fun to look at image
  • Options

<< <i>This side is much closer to moose statusimage[IMG] >>

Not sure I'd pay almost $1200 for that.
  • Options
    gripgrip Posts: 9,962 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Try this one.I was hi bidder at $925.00 than went to bedimage

• Options
    Looks like it took 1000 plus juice to some lucky bidder,with a CAC sticker,if it has luster and pop,and its blue on the reverse,i would if it had been me!image
  • Options

<< <i>Looks like it took 1000 plus juice to some lucky bidder,with a CAC sticker,if it has luster and pop,and its blue on the reverse,i would if it had been me!image >>

So how much does that color on the obverse bump the price as opposed to if it was on the reverse?
  • Options
    BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>So how much does that color on the obverse bump the price as opposed to if it was on the reverse? >>

A lot as no one wants to look at a Moose's colorful arse end! image

To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>So how much does that color on the obverse bump the price as opposed to if it was on the reverse? >>

A lot as no one wants to look at a Moose's colorful arse end! image

image >>

Funny,but way true!Also many collectors love the banded rainbow type look,especially with a blue toned reverse!
  • Options
    BarberianBarberian Posts: 3,103 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Moose? No.

It's a mouse with large antlers, though.
    3 rim nicks away from Good
  • Options
    relicsncoinsrelicsncoins Posts: 7,866 ✭✭✭✭✭
    At least for me, the first characteristic a "moose" has to have is a wow factor. Meaning, when I see the coin or a representative photo of the coin I think to myself...Wow!!. This coin doesn't pass that test for me.
    Need a Barber Half with ANACS photo certificate. If you have one for sale please PM me. Current Ebay auctions
  • Options
    JJMJJM Posts: 7,986 ✭✭✭✭✭
    a real zinger of a Reverse !!!!!,,,,,image
    👍BST's erickso1,cone10,MICHAELDIXON,TennesseeDave,p8nt,jmdm1194,RWW,robkool,Ahrensdad,Timbuk3,Downtown1974,bigjpst,mustanggt,Yorkshireman,idratherbgardening,SurfinxHI,derryb,masscrew,Walkerguy21D,MJ1927,sniocsu,Coll3tor,doubleeagle07,luciobar1980,PerryHall,SNMAM,mbcoin,liefgold,keyman64,maprince230,TorinoCobra71,RB1026,Weiss,LukeMarshall,Wingsrule,Silveryfire, pointfivezero,IKE1964,AL410, Tdec1000, AnkurJ,guitarwes,Type2,Bp777,jfoot113,JWP,mattniss,dantheman984,jclovescoins,Collectorcoins,Weather11am,Namvet69,kansasman,Bruce7789,ADG,Larrob37

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file