Home Metal Detecting
Options

I made the leap, I ordered a metal detector.

Yesterday I ordered the Garrett AT Pro Metal Detector. The deal I got included:

Garrett AT Pro Metal Detector with 8.5"x11" Search Coil and Garrett Deluxe Stereo Headphones; Deluxe Extra Long Padded Metal Detector Carry Bag; State By State Treasure Guide (All 50 States on CD); Multi-Purpose Field Pouch; Free Trial Subscription Card to Lost Treasure Magazine; Treasure Hunting Magazine; Kellyco String Back Pack Black with White Logo; Maxam 4" Lockback Stainless Steel Folding Knife with Belt Clip; PVC Dot Gloves (1 Pair) Single Sided Black Dot; Automax Precision V4 Pinpointer; Razor Edge Gator Digger with Sheath; Kellyco 2 Pocket Coin Pouch/Apron with Thin Pocket for Probes; Spanish 8 Escudos 1714 Gold Coin Replica; DayPack Backpack with Exterior Pocket; Garrett Guide: How to Find Lost Treasure by Charles Garrett;

For a total of: $624.65

I highlighted the Pinpointer because that's probably the best "add on". The rest is trivial.

I am going to do my best to document my experiences. I am hoping to receive guidance from our experts here. I also intend to evaluate these tools of the trade for the benefit of others that are looking to purchase a MD.

I'm stocked,
Ray

Comments

• Options
    mrpaseomrpaseo Posts: 4,753 ✭✭✭
    This is my second detector. My first was a cheaper version that brought me on a few excursions and eventually was gifted to my Uncle as he had more time on his hands than I did. I did learn that I enjoyed detecting which is one of the motivating factors to me making this purchase.

The largest factor amongst many, is my daughter (15 years old) is interested in detecting and I am looking forward to daddy daughter time image

Ray
  • Options
    Congrats Mr P : ) I don't know the machine but it sounds a dandy. It's going to be a good year for the PCGS metal detecting boys i can tell already , even i've broken out the old stone age detector i own and i'm keen to spend an hour out there.The weather is playing ball so ive no excuses other than my ol'lady has offered to take me to 5 guys if i go shopping with her...sigh.. lol , she doesn't realise i don't need bribing , i love being with her but i play the game and net myself a free cheeseburger , Wimpy has nuthin on me image
  • Options
    WaltWalt Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭
    I just bought the AT Pro from Kellyco and love it. Have fun!
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,216 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Welcome to the Garrett Gang.

Somebody once called us "The Garrett Mafia".

He's not been seen since.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great package Ray.... and a good machine. You will have a lot of fun and great times with your daughter. Best of luck...Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    UPDATE: I purchased the MD from Kellyco because they have a "Huge Overstock Sale" going on and they sold me a good deal...

Since then, I received an e-mail AND a phone call telling me that this metal detector that they are over stocked on... is actually out of stock... and they don't know when they will be getting any in.

Reminds me of a Jurassic Park saying, "Now, eventually you do plan to have dinosaurs on your dinosaur tour, right?".

I figure I would give them two weeks to produce a detector, then I will either request an upgrade (Free of course) or a refund and will look elsewhere.

Here is a picture just to lighten up this thread:

More to follow as I know,
    Ray
  • Options
    Nasty sign there Ray... wonder what caused that? Unfilled holes?? Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    The sign doesnt really look "official" as such , it could be the dude that owns the beach house there put it up for whatever reason. That's not a great first impression with Kellyco Mr P , thanks for the heads up on that as i'm browsing new machines.Good deals and great prices are lovely , providing you get what you ordered.
  • Options

<< <i>The sign doesnt really look "official" as such , it could be the dude that owns the beach house there put it up for whatever reason. That's not a great first impression with Kellyco Mr P , thanks for the heads up on that as i'm browsing new machines.Good deals and great prices are lovely , providing you get what you ordered. >>

James, I do understand "stuff" happens so I am not judging the company on this experience as of yet. They were quick to inform me of the issue and went so far as to call me and offer a prompt refund (Of which I told them I would wait to see what they receive on their next shipment due in on Friday).

A quick look at their "Guarantee" they state:

<< <i>4. Huge Selection and Inventory: Operating from a large, 30,000 sq. ft. building with almost four acres of metal detectors and accessories, Kellyco offers a huge selection and inventory to our customers. No matter what or when you order, we will have it in stock! >>

As I said above, stuff happens and no one can predict the future. In business we make an educated guess and it doesn't always turn out the way we like it so I understand that they may have been caught short on this one situation. That said, if one intends to broadcast such a solid "Guarantee", they should take precautionary measures to ensure that the items that they have on sale... are actually in stock.

<< <i>8. Same Day Shipping Service: Kellyco sets the industry standard with the fastest delivery service of any metal detector distributor! We understand how anxious you are to start using your new metal detector, and we try to ship your order the same day we receive it. >>

Same day shipping service means nothing if they do not have the item to send...

I like this idea, hopefully I can locate enough items to put one together myself.

Ray
  • Options
    LukeMarshallLukeMarshall Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice choice...

I very much like my At pro and have had fun modifying it to suit my liking image

I will say though, my V4 pinpointer lasted all but about 5 minutes before It went out( I think I got one that was made on friday or something?)

After some reasearch I ended up switching to the garrett propointer, and never looked back (kellyco gave me a great deal on that, PM me if you want to know the whole story)

Happy Hunting!
    -Luke

It's all about what the people want...

• Options
    Points well made Mr P , ive taken it onboard.Ill watch patiently with you and see how it works out.If the customer service is good as that i think you are right , they are worth the 2nd chance to get it right.
  • Options
    Today I received two e-mails identifying that the detector that I ordered was in fact ready to be shipped. There is even a tracking number. I will have my fingers crossed.

I already have an old house in mind. This house is used by a cat shelter next door for storage so I am sure I can gain permission since I donate to that cat shelter.

I'll be watching the shipment and will update with progress.

Ray

• Options
    Sounds good Mr P , nice if you get it by the weekend but Mondays good too image
  • Options
    Great news Ray. Kellyco is a good company, I have purchased items from them. I would recommend you eventually buy the ProPointer or DetectorPro Pistol Pro pointer.... they are good, reliable probes and will outlast the others. Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    WaltWalt Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭
    I bought my AT Pro and few weeks ago and Gene at Kellyco actually had to put down the phone and go make sure he still had one in the back to sell me. He shipped
    it out the next day. It appears that Garrett can't make these machines fast enough. I hit my first Indian Head Nickel today with the Pro. Great machine!

• Options
    The package arrived today and it all looks good. I did a few tests in the house (on top of a carboard box to eliminate the nails in the floorboards) and it seems to be working fine. I am hoping to hit a park this afternoon, I am going to do some research to ensure I do not break any rules. If I go out, I will let you all know how it goes.

image (Very excited),
    Ray
  • Options
    Good luck Mr P , much to my dismay i blew my new detector money on coins and bullion again..back to square one on that but i'll get out there soon with the old bounty hunter.