Home Precious Metals
Options

Do you ever think you have enough?

Although I've been a collector for about 10 years I'm only less then a year into being what I see referred to as a "stacker". In that time I've put together around 2oz of gold 1oz platinum and 200 or so oz of silver(I'm just counting bullion not coins I consider part of my collection). But I find that I keep thinking I just don't have enough. Which knowing a lot of you have much more then I do. Do you ever shake that feeling?

Comments

• Options
    It's never enough
    NPD1078

I have completed positive sales and purchses from the following members:
    jclovescoins, dpoole, dmarks, guysmiling, Ducky1100 , piecesofme, ericj96 ,Classof67, ModernCoin, MrOrganic, 53BKid, nychad10, GUINZO1975, derryb (3 times), PinkFloyd
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,439 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Although I've been a collector for about 10 years I'm only less then a year into being what I see referred to as a "stacker". In that time I've put together around 2oz of gold 1oz platinum and 200 or so oz of silver(I'm just counting bullion not coins I consider part of my collection). But I find that I keep thinking I just don't have enough. Which knowing a lot of you have much more then I do. Do you ever shake that feeling? >>

What is "enough"?image

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    I think the one time I questioned whether it was enough is when I moved across country and personally transported my little collection. Very stressful experience, kind of like carrying a ball and chain.
  • Options
    1jester1jester Posts: 8,638 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I think the one time I questioned whether it was enough is when I moved across country and personally transported my little collection. Very stressful experience, kind of like carrying a ball and chain. >>

It is quite amazing how little space a few hundred kilos of PMs can take up, huh?

imageimageimage
    .....GOD

"Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you." -Luke 11:9

"Hear, O Israel: The LORD our God is one LORD: And thou shalt love the LORD thy God with all thine heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy might." -Deut. 6:4-5

"For the LORD is our judge, the LORD is our lawgiver, the LORD is our king; He will save us." -Isaiah 33:22
  • Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,212 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you consider PMs to be real money then the answer is obvious.

Give Me Liberty or Give Me Debt

• Options
    Someone is always going to have more. Stacking isn't a registry set competition. Anyone just getting in the game in the past year, is joining late and may get financially hurt. The ground floor low risk opportunity is long gone, so be careful and mindful.

As for enough:
    John D. Rockefeller (perhaps the richest man in recorded history) was asked, "What is enough?"
    Rockefeller's reply: "Just a little bit more."
    That said, Rockefeller was also a philanthropist who gave away much of his vast fortune.

The stack outline in the op is relatively modest in absolute terms. In relative terms, age, income, saving rates, lifestyle, responsibilities, other assets are all factors. There is no right or wrong answer. I advocate a healthy balanced approach to life. That would include what in the U.S. is a high savings rate (at least 10%, 20% or 30% is better vs. the 3% national average), and what on this forum would seem like an absurd choice of a diversified portfolio in various asset classes (bonds, stocks, hard assets). Again, the allocation percentages are a personal matter but some from each category are a good idea for almost everyone.

The miserly extreme of Dickens' Scrooge character isn't a healthy model (eg: those saving more than 50% of a decent income and still can't find any comfort). Find a balance and spend some of that money on good times and fun. Good health is something that can slip away in a moment, and the opportunity will be gone. For those that truly think the sky is going to fall, I would actually tell them to spend more now, while good times are still available. When the sky falls and World War III breaks out 25% of the population may be killed, USA might be wiped off world maps, and more than half the world basically off limits to what then become American refugees.
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I will have enough when I need no more.... obviously, that can only come with my demise. Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,515 ✭✭✭✭✭
    no, to much is never enough ( thank you corporate america image )
  • Options
    BarndogBarndog Posts: 20,458 ✭✭✭✭✭
    even if I die today, I don't have enough
  • Options
    BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I want to be able to carry my stacks by myself, with backpacks and duffel style bags. When it gets too heavy, I sell copper and nickel and silver and buy denser metals, gold and platinum. No palladium yet, but there's also some steel, lead, and other minerals that have to be light enough to carry alone if need be.

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• Options
    I think i might know that feeling , it comes to me at times mainly i think because of the cost i bought into this rollar coaster at and the cost now to keep adding.So , Yes , at current prices i think i do have enough in the sense i should perhaps begin to look at other things in life besides hoarding PM's.An American made HD is calling my name .. lol
  • Options
    SpoolySpooly Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭
    "Stacking isn't a registry set competition"....... David Hall says... hummm. image
    Si vis pacem, para bellum

In God We Trust.... all others pay in Gold and Silver!
  • Options
    BarndogBarndog Posts: 20,458 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I want to be able to carry my stacks by myself, with backpacks and duffel style bags. When it gets too heavy, I sell copper and nickel and silver and buy denser metals, gold and platinum. No palladium yet, but there's also some steel, lead, and other minerals that have to be light enough to carry alone if need be. >>

I do something similar...thinning the silver every now and then to get gold. I like ten ounce Pamps image
  • Options
    MilesWaitsMilesWaits Posts: 5,310 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The feeling that is more difficult to shake is "Did I sell too much, too early?"

You are on track. Keep up the good work!

Miles
    Now riding the swell in PM's and surf.
  • Options
    I used to have alot more, I went through a divorce and had to liquidate most of it last spring when silver was $46 an ounce but at least I sold near the top and came away from the divorce debt free and with all my farm assets intact.
    I started accumulating silver when it went down to the $32 range and kept buying as it went down, also bought some platinum at $1,400 and a little gold around $1,650.
    I will continue to accumulate if I have some spare change and the price is decent.
  • Options
    WingsruleWingsrule Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭✭
    Dollar cost average is the way...
  • Options
    How much insurance against inflationary theft does one need?
  • Options
    DorkGirlDorkGirl Posts: 9,994 ✭✭✭
    Never.
    Becky
  • Options
    secondrepublicsecondrepublic Posts: 2,619 ✭✭✭
    it's certainly possible to be "overweighted" in precious metals as a percentage of your total assets. I'm not there yet.
    "Men who had never shown any ability to make or increase fortunes for themselves abounded in brilliant plans for creating and increasing wealth for the country at large." Fiat Money Inflation in France, Andrew Dickson White (1912)
  • Options
    57loaded57loaded Posts: 4,967 ✭✭✭
    i guess my only question is relative to what?

as far as stacking. as long you're not tripping over it to get a beer and you neighbors wonder why you have turned your hot tub off, then i suppose it's not enough.

there are other things i wish i had more of, but only from hindsight, stacking is foresight.

Mark's philosphy is best for accumulating in the bull market that's gonna last close to three years more.
  • Options
    tydyetydye Posts: 3,894 ✭✭✭
    No
    I have set goals a few times in the past. Each time I have raised that goal.
  • Options
    jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,380 ✭✭✭✭✭
    For the OP - enough? I still work for a living, so it must not yet be enough.

<< I want to be able to carry my stacks by myself, with backpacks and duffel style bags. When it gets too heavy, I sell copper and nickel and silver and buy denser metals, gold and platinum. No palladium yet, but there's also some steel, lead, and other minerals that have to be light enough to carry alone if need be. >>

I do something similar...thinning the silver every now and then to get gold. I like ten ounce Pamps

Lol, it has to fit in a car or SUV (with the ammo), and the containers vary. I prefer various denominations, because that 10 ozer would be harder to negotiate if necessary to negotiate.

I've cracked out all of my NGC platinum and I'm considering the same idea for my PCGS platinum. Slabs are so bulky, and the grading cert still applies anyhow. If it's good enough for copper to be kept raw, it's good enough for platinum to be kept raw.

I don't really know what to do with the 5 ozer ATB silver slabs. Monstrosities, they are.
    Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    I agree with the general consensus that it depends of myriad of factors ranging from your personal financial situation, time horizon (are you needing to sell in the next week, year, decade), risk tolerance (are you able to stomach a high beta), purpose of having metals (inflation protection, barter in a SHTF, hedge on inflation), thoughts and feelings on the economy and the dollar, etc.

Once you have those questions answered it is a matter of planning your trade and trading you plan... Each person here either knows what works for them or is in the processor finding that out. Every persons situation, goals, tolerances, and path to reach their goal is different. But thats why were here, to discuss, share information, learn from those who are wiser, and help others when you can.

For me at 7.92% silver and 11.07% gold for 18.99% of total assets in PMs, I am a touch under my goal allocation of 20%. With a gold to silver ratio of just under 50, I would like to be a bit heavier in gold than I currently am. Based on my answers to the above questions if today I was 25-30% in PMs I would rebalance over the course of the week.

Remember that the market can stay irrational longer than you can stay solvent.

BSTs with: Coll3ctor, gsa1fan, mkman123, ajbauman, tydye, piecesofme, pursuitofliberty

Travelog - 20in20travels.com
  • Options
    carew4mecarew4me Posts: 3,464 ✭✭✭✭
    You are only a Stacker if you continue stacking!

Loves me some shiny!
  • Options
    Timbuk3Timbuk3 Posts: 11,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I try to limit and budget myself
    but when I see a good deal, I
    can help myself to make that
    purchase !!!
    Timbuk3
  • Options
    KonaheadKonahead Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭
    No, i guess i stop when i run out of storage space
    PEACE! This is the first day of the rest of your life.

Fred, Las Vegas, NV
  • Options
    fivecentsfivecents Posts: 11,207 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>You are only a Stacker if you continue stacking! >>