Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Post a James A. Stack Collection Coin!

If you've got one, post it! Here's one to get the ball started. I purchased this 1851-D half eagle right before Christmas 1994, from Wynn Carner (Winthrop Coin Co.). It was in an NGC AU53 holder but did not have the provenance on the cert label. I had it crossed to PCGS, with the addition of the Stack provenance. In addition to being a quality-conscious collector, Mr. Stack is also famous for having owned one of the infamous 1933 double eagles. The photography is courtesy of BluCC Photos.

"Clamorous for Coin"

Comments

• Options

<< <i>Good timing , just posted this 2 days ago, but oh well here it is again, sorry for the redundancy:

imageimage >>

That's a very nice coin, Realone! I'm impressed with the quality of Mr. Stack's collection. Also, I think that the mintmark above the wreath is really neat. Does it have a backstory? How long have you owned it?
    "Clamorous for Coin"
  • Options
    coindeucecoindeuce Posts: 13,472 ✭✭✭✭✭
    In the nearly 20 years that I have been actively back in this hobby, I have yet to personally see any of the Morgan Dollars from the Stack collection in holders with the provenance. I still open the catalog occassionally to drool. image

"Everything is on its way to somewhere. Everything." - George Malley, Phenomenon
    http://www.americanlegacycoins.com

• Options
    smallchangesmallchange Posts: 192 ✭✭✭
    Beautiful coins, my question is how do you prove where the coin came from. Do you look at a catalog from a auction house that was selling the Stacks collection for example and send in the pictures to PCGS. Always wondered how this happens. I am glad you were able to get it listed as such,

Jim
    Successful BST transactions with lkenefic, AnkurJ, ajia, stephunter, No lawyer
  • Options

<< <i>Thanks GK.
    This was part of a small collection that I purchased late last year, it was a collection from an estate of a family where in which the patriarch of the family an avid coin collector with obviously a great eye, name wasn't disclosed to me for privacy purposes, purchased a mid sized collection in the '80's -'90's which fortunately was offered to me, and I chose only the dimes and half dimes and let everything else go to another collector(s). All the coins were slabbed in older holders. predominantly in old ngc no line fatties with a sprinkling of pcgs oghs. The minute I saw the coins, I made arrangements to buy them, only later after taking months of research did i come to find that many were pedigreed to the finest collectors. i still have many that i have been unable to trace yet since they are the finest or near finest known I realize that they almost have to have a well known pedigree in their past. With regards to the bust dimes and liberty seated dimes, one was a Lovejoy, one a Norweb, one a Stack (this one), the other four dimes are still works in progress. >>

Congratulations on your research! It's always thrilling to discover an important provenance.
    "Clamorous for Coin"
  • Options

<< <i>Do you look at a catalog from a auction house that was selling the Stacks collection for example and send in the pictures to PCGS.

Jim >>

Yes.
  • Options
    orevilleoreville Posts: 11,789 ✭✭✭✭✭
    << Good timing , just posted this 2 days ago, but oh well here it is again, sorry for the redundancy:

Never apologize for that kind of lovely redundancy!

Dripping with originality!
    A Collectors Universe poster since 1997!
  • Options
    Here's my other James A. Stack coin. Mr. Stack had a full set of Dahlonega pieces, when his U. S. gold holdings were auctioned by Stack's in October 1994. An Atlanta firm considered both of these coins among the "20 Most Special" Dahlonegas in the Stack Collection, due to their "superb originality" (their words). I didn't buy either coin from the Atlanta firm, but acquired each in separate transactions after the auction had taken place.

"Clamorous for Coin"
  • Options
    BestGermanBestGerman Posts: 75 ✭✭✭

I've started going through the 1975 Stack's catalog of the James A. Stack Collection of Quarters and Half Dollars, trying to match up images in the catalog with PCGS True-Views. Lot #4 was the first to be positive ID'ed:

PCGS AU53 27328754
    James A. Stack Collection - Stack’s 3/1975:4 (as Raw About Uncirculated), $1,100

Ron Guth, Chief Investigator
    The Numismatic Detective Agency

• Options
    RegulatedRegulated Posts: 2,992 ✭✭✭✭✭

Probably my very favorite 20th Century pedigree:

What is now proved was once only imagined. - William Blake
  • Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,910 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 22, 2018 10:11PM
  • Options
    OriginalDanOriginalDan Posts: 3,723 ✭✭✭✭✭

Posted this one in the other thread, but I'll post it here too. One of my favorite coins of all time, and didn't know it was James A. Stack when I bought it. Was quite pleased to reattach the pedigree.

• Options
    edited August 23, 2018 9:24AM

@OriginalDan said:
    Posted this one in the other thread, but I'll post it here too. One of my favorite coins of all time, and didn't know it was James A. Stack when I bought it. Was quite pleased to reattach the pedigree.

That's a beautiful coin and it's great to know it's from Stack.

PCGS hasn't reattached the pedigree yet. Have you asked them to do so?

https://www.pcgs.com/cert/30039284

• Options
    edited August 23, 2018 8:55AM

@BestGerman

Is there any way to get the Stack pedigree reattached to many of his coins in the PCGS cert verification database? A number of the coins in your blog article show pedigrees from Eliasberg, Holmes and others, but not Stack.

Also, is it possible to create a legacy Registry Set for him to tie these coins together? It would great if the pedigrees were clickable links in cert verification.

• Options
    OriginalDanOriginalDan Posts: 3,723 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Zoins said:

@OriginalDan said:

That's a beautiful coin and it's great to know it's from Stack.

PCGS hasn't reattached the pedigree yet. Have you asked them to do so?

https://www.pcgs.com/cert/30039284

I'm not sure if they'll add the pedigree if it's not on the label, but I'll ask. Ron did update the CoinFacts page with the pedigree, listed near the bottom in the condition census.

• Options
    MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 23,947 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Regulated said:
    Probably my very favorite 20th Century pedigree:

Thanks!

Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • Options
    gonzergonzer Posts: 2,991 ✭✭✭✭✭

@SmEagle1795 said:

And a coin from the ancient Olympics:

Now that's one hell of an eagle(?) design. Looks ready to tear your throat out.

• Options
    Timbuk3Timbuk3 Posts: 11,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow, "awesome", thanks for sharing !!! :)

Timbuk3
  • Options
    SeattleSlammerSeattleSlammer Posts: 9,959 ✭✭✭✭✭

Terrific coins here.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file