Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

HOW HIGH WILL SILVER GO ?

Just curious what any insightful people think ?

Stewart

Comments

• Options
    lasvegasteddylasvegasteddy Posts: 10,408 ✭✭✭
    lol...missed that insightfull boat long time ago
    to me the question taking president is how high is gas gunna go...image
    or how low is the dollar gunna fall

my lil wag...i see an easy $100/ounce
    everything in life is but merely on loan to us by our appreciation....lose your appreciation and see

• Options
    STONESTONE Posts: 15,275
    Stew, this is why there's a PM forum!
  • Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,812 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What else can you do with your money? image

CDs are at 1%- with no upside on the horizon

The actual cost of owning bullion and coins is pretty cheap

I see 45-55 by the end of the year

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    giorgio11giorgio11 Posts: 3,828 ✭✭✭✭✭
    $45.86 by 12:30 pm on Dec 16, 2012. That's why they call them crystal balls. image
    VDBCoins.com Our Registry Sets Many successful BSTs; pls ask.
  • Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,241 ✭✭✭✭✭
    $150, eventually

PMs seem to have a direct relationship with the money supply and an inverse relatonship with the US$.

A continued policy of having the lowest valued currency (trade and debt reasons), 0% interest rates, unlimited creation of new money will ensure PMs continue to climb in value.

Agree, discussion belongs in PM forum.

Are they really this stupid, or are they destroying the dollar on purpose?

• Options
    DrPeteDrPete Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭
    Good question. I expect the price of silver and gold will continue to creep upwards rather slowly. Our paper money is getting diluted and devalued (relatitve to measurable commodities like gasoline, food, costs of automobiles) by our huge national debt and government overspending. It depends on what will likely happen when a drastic step is needed to try to "correct' the monetary basis of the dollar. If they do a change where $2 becomes $1 or $10 becomes the new $1 then the silver price will be reflected by the value of the new dollar. Financial gurus keep coming up with clever ways of disguising the problems, but ultimately thinks must change drastically. The two scenarios I see are:

1. The US government becomes responsible, cuts excessive governement spending, weeds out ineffective programs and government employees that don't do anything productive, and become accountable to the people paying taxes.

2. The US government continues to overspend in the exponential manner that is like a freight train gaining speed, and eventually those holding the debt, especially China and the Middle East, decide to call for their money. The fiat currency then takes a huge hit.

Out of these two scenarios, the second one seems more likely to me.
    Dr. Pete
  • Options
    Most likely scenario I see is for it to test last years high around April.
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,501 ✭✭✭✭✭
    There's no limit as to how high gold and silver can go given enough time with a constantly depreciating dollar.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    pitbosspitboss Posts: 8,643 ✭✭✭

To the moon, hopefully, as Jackie Gleason used to say.
  • Options
    BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 31,000 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Stew, this is why there's a PM forum! >>

but a broader larger audience here.
  • Options

<< <i>Good question. I expect the price of silver and gold will continue to creep upwards rather slowly. Our paper money is getting diluted and devalued (relatitve to measurable commodities like gasoline, food, costs of automobiles) by our huge national debt and government overspending. It depends on what will likely happen when a drastic step is needed to try to "correct' the monetary basis of the dollar. If they do a change where $2 becomes $1 or $10 becomes the new $1 then the silver price will be reflected by the value of the new dollar. Financial gurus keep coming up with clever ways of disguising the problems, but ultimately thinks must change drastically. The two scenarios I see are:

1. The US government becomes responsible, cuts excessive governement spending, weeds out ineffective programs and government employees that don't do anything productive, and become accountable to the people paying taxes.

2. The US government continues to overspend in the exponential manner that is like a freight train gaining speed, and eventually those holding the debt, especially China and the Middle East, decide to call for their money. The fiat currency then takes a huge hit.

Out of these two scenarios, the second one seems more likely to me. >>

A reverse split on money, how quaint.image
  • Options
    From the cheap seats, it looks like a lot of people who are a lot smarter than I am have already priced in a lot of the depreciating scenarios which could affect the price of silver and bullion in general over the last 4 years. I don't think it's a coincidence that this pricing appears to be related to the political and economic philosophies of our fearless leaders. That being said, and based on the sentiment of the largely silent masses who seemed to request a change of course last election, I look for the price of bullion to increase to a $50 to $60 summit around mid year, and then drift back down as the political crystal ball becomes more clear. Just a thought....I could be wrong.
    Rick
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    $38.50 by May..... Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    BarndogBarndog Posts: 20,461 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

but a broader larger audience here. >>

perfect justification for discussing sports, postcards, foreign coins and currency, and all sorts of other topics in the US COIN FORUM. image
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

but a broader larger audience here. >>

perfect justification for discussing sports, postcards, foreign coins and currency, and all sorts of other topics in the US COIN FORUM. image >>

not really those are definitely OT silver not necessarily. I'm sure a mod will move it if someone requests it. I can tolerate a little non coin specific stuff, I'm not as anal about it as some. If it was something other than gold or silver I'd agree.

maybe the mods should sticky a post to the top telling us how to delete posts that we make that piss off other members.

there are plenty of eBay/PP posts that don't seem to have anything to do with buying or selling coins yet no flak on them.

Is the ASE milk spot problem a PM or U.S. coin topic?
  • Options
    it will keep going up
    dont send sheep to kill a wolf...
  • Options
    SamByrdSamByrd Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭✭
    30.31 by august
  • Options
    percybpercyb Posts: 3,301 ✭✭✭
    How high can you count?image
    "Poets are the unacknowledged legislators of the world." PBShelley
  • Options
    bestmrbestmr Posts: 1,764 ✭✭✭

<< <i>30.31 by august >>

You can't go down!! That's blasphemy! image
    Positive dealing with oilstates2003, rkfish, Scrapman1077, Weather11am, Guitarwes, Twosides2acoin, Hendrixkat, Sevensteps, CarlWohlforth, DLBack, zug, wildjag, tetradrachm, tydye, NotSure, AgBlox, Seemyauction, Stopmotion, Zubie, Fivecents, Musky1011, Bstat1020, Gsa1fan several times, and Mkman123 LOTS of times
  • Options
    Billet7Billet7 Posts: 4,923 ✭✭✭
    I think it will continue to soften.
  • Options

<< <i>I think it will continue to soften. >>

So how come a rising price isn't called hardening?

corrected from is to isn't
  • Options
    bob48bob48 Posts: 453 ✭✭✭
    I like the comments.
    I hope it softens but what do I know, I just want to buy coins. But in reality I think it will go up!
    Thanks, Bob
    Bob

• Options
    robkoolrobkool Posts: 5,934 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Stewart...

I can see silver break $50 bucks before the end of this year...
  • Options
    RussRuss Posts: 48,515 ✭✭✭
    Uh, it's currently down $14 from its recent high. And the only reason it's gone up a couple bucks this week is because I sold some Monday.

Russ, NCNE
  • Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,890 ✭✭✭✭✭
    After a dip, it could go higher. Is that inciteful ?
  • Options

<< <i>Stewart...

I can see silver break $50 bucks before the end of this year... >>

I think silver had it's opportunity to go that high last year. I think it will remain at it's current pricing for a while give or take.
    Winner of the "You Suck!" award March 17, 2010 by LanLord, doh, 123cents and Bear.
  • Options
    I think it will continue trending up until there is another major sell off, the time of which I will certainly be late for.
  • Options
    It will have it's ups and downs but it will trend up over the long haul. Todays price will look cheap 10 years from now.

• Options
    RussRuss Posts: 48,515 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Todays price will look cheap 10 years from now.

....Nelson Bunker Hunt, December 1979 >>

Russ, NCNE
  • Options
    Timbuk3Timbuk3 Posts: 11,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It may go to $60.00
    by year end !!!
    Timbuk3
  • Options
    slincslinc Posts: 480 ✭✭
    I think we will see a similar runup to last year possibly breaking through the $50 barrier in the summer months. After that I think alot depends on the election as to whether it keeps going up or back down. I know I will be agonizing over if its time to take my profits or not.
  • Options
    rec78rec78 Posts: 5,696 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The silver market is investor driven. Where the money goes so goes the market. The world fiat currency system will continue to have effects on the prices of precious metals mostly to the upswing. There is no limiting factor.
    i disagree that this is in the wrong forum as a lot of coins are silver and are driven by the silver market.
    How high will silver go? Do you mean this year? in the next five years? or next fifty years?
    I will say about $44.54 by June 12th.
  • Options
    EagleEyeEagleEye Posts: 7,676 ✭✭✭✭✭

This is not a chart that is bullish.

Highs are going lower and lows are going lower. Will it break out? With gas rising, which is deflationary, I doubt it.

Silver is a total speculation, it is influenced by gas prices, politics and debt worries only because the speculators are influenced by these things.
    Rick Snow, Eagle Eye Rare Coins, Inc.Check out my new web site:
  • Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,241 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Agree that speculation is a driver for silver as was demonstrated first quarter of last year. I believe it is going to draw many who feel they missed the boat with gold and consider it the "next" gold play.

Not much different than the 1 year chart on gold with the exception of that first quarter silver spike and a bit more volatility up and down. Not much different than gold when it comes to fundamentals either. I believe both to be a good resource to protect value of one's savings long term as has been demonstrated by pre-65 silver coins. A 64 silver Kennedy will pretty much buy what it did in 1964; can't say the same for a 71 non-silver Kennedy. Silver's volatility in a bull trend is what attracts paper speculators, including myself.

Are they really this stupid, or are they destroying the dollar on purpose?

• Options
    orevilleoreville Posts: 11,795 ✭✭✭✭✭
    "any insightful people think?"

WHERE?....WHERE??...WHERE?image
    A Collectors Universe poster since 1997!
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Todays price will look cheap 10 years from now.

....Nelson Bunker Hunt, December 1979 >>

Russ, NCNE >>

But....but....things are different now!image

• Options
    halfhunterhalfhunter Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭
    I believe that we can easily see a double this year from the 12/30/11 close of $27.86.
    Just my WAG ! ! !

HH
    Need the following OBW rolls to complete my 46-64 Roosevelt roll set:
    1947-P & D; 1948-D; 1949-P & S; 1950-D & S; and 1952-S.
    Any help locating any of these OBW rolls would be gratefully appreciated!
  • Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,812 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Charting the Silver market is tough...

It seems hard to make a bullish case for silver if we look at the chart over the past year- if we go back 3 years, the picture changes alittle

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    originalisbestoriginalisbest Posts: 5,920 ✭✭✭✭
    The proper answer, clearly, is "higher than you think, but not as high as you'd like it to."
  • Options
    IrishMikeyIrishMikey Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭
    Silver will peak at $75 per ounce in 2012, but will end the year lower. Gas prices will hit $5 a gallon. Don't
    sell silver to buy gasoline.
  • Options
    IrishMikeyIrishMikey Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Uh, it's currently down $14 from its recent high. And the only reason it's gone up a couple bucks this week is because I sold some Monday.

Russ, NCNE >>

Sounds like you need to give us the heads up before you sell the next time. Financial information like
    that is priceless.
  • Options
    mingotmingot Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭
    I think silver will hit at least $432 by a week after the new year.

• Options
    It will reclaim it's $50 high from early in 2011. It's will have to wait longer to go to infinity. Maybe after QE20.
  • Options
    lcoopielcoopie Posts: 8,818 ✭✭✭✭✭
    it's going over $100

when

I don't know

LCoopie = Les
  • Options
    NicNic Posts: 3,344 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What will the price of silver be if the Euro goes back to 0.85 ?

K

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file