Home Metal Detecting
Options

NEED HELP... New machine questions

I am looking to buy a new machine and was looking at the Whites MXT , Spectra v3i or the Minelab Explorer SE Pro. Can I ask you all what one you think is better! I do a ton of relic hunting but wanna expand to coins and the beach (not in water).... You can read all the reviews you want but nothings better then getting a true review from fellow forum members.

PLEASE HELP!!!!!

Comments

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hello and welcome aboard.
    I am a White's fan, so that is where my advice comes from. I have the V3 and think it is fantastic. There may be a Garrett's that is good too, I do not want to disparage other brands.... it is just that I am familiar with the White's product line. I also have a DFX, a Dual Surf and a couple others. One thing for sure, their customer service is outstanding. I have called for technical information, replacement parts and just general performance criteria and was always treated with respect, great information and, when it was a failed part (battery - and only once), immediate replacement. Their warranty is solid. The V3i is a leader in the field and covers many applications (except for diving). I prefer the Dual Surf for water detecting since it was made for that. So, you can see what I recommend - from experience. Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    That recommendation is supported all over the web in reviews ive seen this morning , the V3 does seem quite the machine although on the pricey end.They say Scots are tight with the money but it's not that , it's just shelling out 1500 for a "hobby" i have the trouble with.

I did dig out my old trusty detector Ricko , it's done me proud in the past , a Bounty Hunter 101 can you believe. I clicked the switch and it beeped into life like it was not stuffed in a closet for the last 3 years.
  • Options
    Just got my 3vi. It has a learning curve and I have only used it in my yard so far. I tried it in relic mode and foun numerous items... mostly junk, but, what the hell its fun to find stuff. I'm enjoying all of the various programs you can use and learning is always fun.
  • Options
    James, you can get the V3i a lot cheaper than $1500... shop around, I have seen them for $1100. Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    RickO I think the one for 1500 is the one with the wireless ear phones.... I was looking today at my local shop and he showed me the v3I used (but looked dam new) he said it was only used a few times and would give me a 2 year warrenty on it like if I bought it new. It is the wireless one also. So what do you think ricko? For 1000.00 would you take it? Even had extra battries and a few other small items included
  • Options
    Absolutely.. that is a great deal.... jump on it. Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    pcgs69pcgs69 Posts: 4,266 ✭✭✭✭
    I'd jump at that opportunity.
  • Options
    Thanks Ricko , i'm going to put some thought into that. In the meantime i'll give the old MD a run this week and see what it turns up,i've good reason to believe this old farm was once all there was here and the town built up around it.I think it was much much bigger than it is today.I know the original owner of the farm was a Mrs XXXXXXX and the main st through town is called XXXXXXX avenue , old railway maps have been great, i got the 1886 one and a few old survey maps..interesting stuff. Theres a place called Indian Quarry nearby i'll need to check out in better weather.
  • Options
    Mine White's M6 with 6x10 dd love it its very simple finest. And I see v3i is very awesome. GOOD LUCK V3I Congrats
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,216 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wireless headphones sound great- no gettin' tangled in the daggum cord!

But I wonder how prone to interference they might be? image

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    LordM... I have had no interference issues with the wireless headphones. Of course, I am not MD'ing in a crowd of cellphone users either...image Seriously though, never had any static or interference of any sort. Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    ZotZot Posts: 825 ✭✭✭
    The original question was posted several weeks ago, but in case still relevant:

I have the MXT and the Minelab Explorer SE (note: these comments are about the machines I have, which are a few years old. Not sure what improvements may have been made to them since, if any)

Both are good machines.

MXT is straightforward and easy to use. It's also a bit lighter, which may or may not be a factor for you.

The Explorer is a bit more complicated and I personally find it more of a hassle to navigate through the menus by pressing buttons compared to the using the dials on the MXT.

This may be just me, but I find the pinpointing function of the MXT to be much simpler and easier to figure out. Also after having used the Explorer for quite a while I'm still struggling to figure out exactly where the target is, particularly the depth. With the MXT it feels i was always spot on, with the Explorer I'm sometimes missing. Experiences of others may differ.

The Explorer is more efficient in covering large areas. I find it's better at picking up deep targets also when they are off center of the coil.

The Explorer seems to go a bit deeper. I've been through some old areas that I've hammered with the MXT where the Explorer was still picking up signals.

The sounds they make are totally different. Having used the MXT extensively it took me quite a while to get used to the various tones and sounds the Explorer makes. This of course depends on what your starting point is.

If I had to pick one the two, I'd pick the Explorer for its sheer performance. For ease of use, I find the MXT is better.
    Minelab: GPX 5000, Excalibur II, Explorer SE. White's: MXT, PI Pro