Home Precious Metals
Options

When should we sell?

The last paragraph sums it up.

The fear of gold.
There are two ways to conquer and enslave a nation. One is by the sword. The other is by debt.
–John Adams, 1826

Comments

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    No one should laugh when the subject of holding gold is discussed. It is a solid investment. Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    PokermandudePokermandude Posts: 2,710 ✭✭✭
    "When should we sell?"

When

<< <i>No one laughs when the subject of holding gold is discussed >>

Similar to the "it's time to get out of the stock market when your cabbie is giving you stock tips".
    http://stores.ebay.ca/Mattscoin - Canadian coins, World Coins, Silver, Gold, Coin lots, Modern Mint Products & Collections
  • Options
    BarndogBarndog Posts: 20,459 ✭✭✭✭✭
    sell when you absolutely, positively need the money.
    sell when you are 100% certain the proceeds will create more wealth for you than your current holdings will.
    sell when someone offers you stupid money.
    sell before you die so you can be a typhoon and blow it image
  • Options
    57loaded57loaded Posts: 4,967 ✭✭✭
    "And, how will we know when to sell? When I am asked what percentage of their portfolio should be held in gold bullion and I say 100% and no one laughs."

i don't agree with most of the statements as i am not in the gold=money crowd, unless one thinks money=commodity.

let's just not hope for the writer's argument's sake that not everyone is in gold 100%...wouldn't that mean everything else was thought of as being worthless?

personally i'd like to sell before "the elevator rings at the top floor". or even at the highest floor i can go before i need a key card...image

edit for puntuation and grammar...which still isn't 100%

good link though, really
  • Options
    MesquiteMesquite Posts: 4,075 ✭✭✭
    "sell when you absolutely, positively need the money.
    sell when you are 100% certain the proceeds will create more wealth for you than your current holdings will.
    sell before you die so you can be a typhoon and blow it" image

There are two ways to conquer and enslave a nation. One is by the sword. The other is by debt.
    –John Adams, 1826
  • Options
    Timbuk3Timbuk3 Posts: 11,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm not selling yet !!!
    Timbuk3
  • Options
    jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,382 ✭✭✭✭✭
    sell when you absolutely, positively need the money.
    sell before you die so you can be a typhoon and blow it

I couldn't have said it better.image
    Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    DoubleEagle59DoubleEagle59 Posts: 8,200 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Simple answer...

Sell your PM's and buy the Dow when the price of Gold equals the DJIA.

When the Gold : DJIA equals 1:1, this will mark the true 'top' in precious metals.
    "Gold is money, and nothing else" (JP Morgan, 1912)

"“Those who sacrifice liberty for security/safety deserve neither.“(Benjamin Franklin)

"I only golf on days that end in 'Y'" (DE59)
  • Options
    BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sell your PM's and buy the Dow when the price of Gold equals the DJIA.

So, "never" then.

Yes, I said the price of gold will Never equal the DJIA.

I await the time when you tell me I am (was) wrong.

That will also be... Never.

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• Options

<< <i>Sell your PM's and buy the Dow when the price of Gold equals the DJIA.

So, "never" then.

Yes, I said the price of gold will Never equal the DJIA.

I await the time when you tell me I am (was) wrong.

That will also be... Never. >>

The GSR has moved from 40:1 in the year 2000 to the current 7:1 ratio.

Why can't it hit 1:1?? It did in 1980.

"“Those who sacrifice liberty for security/safety deserve neither.“(Benjamin Franklin)

• Options
    Sell when Baley starts pounding the table to buy gold! image
  • Options
    MesquiteMesquite Posts: 4,075 ✭✭✭
    Exactly!
    –John Adams, 1826
  • Options
    SpoolySpooly Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭
    Money to be made going up...... money to be made going down. If you play it right...... you could make more money riding the down wave.

Si vis pacem, para bellum

In God We Trust.... all others pay in Gold and Silver!
  • Options
    jdimmickjdimmick Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I make a little more in a downward trend, especially if accelerated after a quick rise

Many of the shops and buying out fits pay quite close and fair in an uptrend, but let the price correct about 10-15 % , folks come out of the wood work in a panic selling frenzy. I usually have to put larger spreads between buy and sell price as a precaution, and can , becuase some of the gold /silver buyers I mentioned earlier quit buying altogether after a correction, and then play wait and see so they dont get stuck. I constantly ship as much as necessary to avoid losses.
  • Options
    JCMhoustonJCMhouston Posts: 5,306 ✭✭✭
    For bullion I do not buy and sell, just buy and store. I don't look at physical bullion as an investment, morre as a store of value for the long term. I'm certainly not a doomsdayer, but then again you never know do you. I did sell all my physical silver a year or so ago when I thought the prices had just gotten crazy, I missed the $40 top but was very happy with the $33-38 I sold for. I haven't replaced it yet because I am still not comfortable with long term pricing above $30.

For playing bullion prices I might buy and sell in the same day (using SLV or GLD), I try to never hold these more than a week and really prefer no more than overnight. For these speculative markets I really don't think the charts work very well as predictors for the daily or weekly movements. Rather I try to guess sentiment, when everyone else starts screaming about how the market is tanking I buy, when they scream it's going to the moon I sell. I do tend to believe the metals markets are rigged, hence why I never hold these long term. You never know when the market riggers will simply raise margins, for example, to force some to sell and drop the price.
  • Options
    DorkGirlDorkGirl Posts: 9,994 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Sell when Baley starts pounding the table to buy gold! image >>

Becky
  • Options
    Who was it that said---"no one ever went broke taking a profit"?
    successful BST deals with Meltdown, Broadstruck, lordmarcovan, MisterTicToc, JINX86, BXBOY143, MBCOINS and others
  • Options
    BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sell when Baley starts pounding the table to buy gold!

I will be pounding the table to buy gold when it is back down below $800 an oz., or when it has underperformed other major asset classes for a significant period of time.
    Why would anyone wait until it goes way down before selling some?

Many here seem to mistake my caution against irrational expectations of a future rise at the same rate of the past rise, with bearishness, which is not the case.

As far as Dow:Gold being 1:1 for a millisecond in 1980, good luck with that happening again, and even better luck with timing the sale image

edit: upon further reflection, I think I understand what's meant by, "Sell when Baley starts pounding the table to buy gold! "

Yes, I agree that when I start pounding the table that you should buy my gold that I accumulated between 1998 and 2003 from me, then that will be a good sell signal that means I believe gold to be overpriced versus alternative investments. It will be either that, or I'll be pounding the table because the wife wants to remodel the kitchen image

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• Options

The GSR has moved from 40:1 in the year 2000 to the current 7:1 ratio.

The GSR is 50:1
    Successful transactions with: DCarr, Meltdown, Notwilight, Loki, MMR, Musky1011, cohodk, claychaser, cheezhed, guitarwes, Hayden, USMoneyLover

Proud recipient of two "You Suck" awards
  • Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>The GSR has moved from 40:1 in the year 2000 to the current 7:1 ratio.

The GSR is 50:1 >>

It is given that he meant the DOW/Gold ratio which is currently at about 7:1 .............MJ
    Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options

<< <i>Who was it that said---"no one ever went broke taking a profit"? >>

I said that.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>The GSR has moved from 40:1 in the year 2000 to the current 7:1 ratio.

The GSR is 50:1 >>

It is given that he meant the DOW/Gold ratio which is currently at about 7:1 .............MJ >>

Oops!!

Correct, I meant Dow/Gold Ratio.

• Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,215 ✭✭✭✭✭
    When the dollars you get for it can earn you more elsewhere.

Historically the gold bull ending has been marked by a Gold to Dow ratio that nears 1:1. I personally think this will no longer be accurate in an economic enviornment that is ripe with corruption and manipulation. I expect to see a very negaive ratio before the end of the gold bull trend. The key to the decline of gold will lie heavily in the success of turning the economy around. Not gonna happen any time soon - keep stacking.

Give Me Liberty or Give Me Debt