Home Metal Detecting
Options

~*~*~ VIRTUAL TREASURE HUNT IV (Round 1 video posted) ~*~*~

lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,218 ✭✭✭✭✭
Read here first.

Then pick your target numbers for the upcoming hunt. One target per player per round.

UPDATE: my old original VTH partner John, aka "goldrush00013", is going to take Round 2, so this will be a multiple-digger event after all.

You may have one target in each round, so if you've already got a slot in my round, feel free to speak up for one in his.

(Note that he is also a "virtual" contestant in my round and I might put my name in the hat for one target in his.)

VIRTUAL TREASURE HUNT IV

Round 1, Targets #1-20.

Digger: lordmarcovan

imageimage

Date dug: to be announced

Site(s): to be announced

Detector: Garrett GTI-2500 with standard coil

Round 1 giveaway prize:

1892 USA Columbian half dollar, AU (non-dug)

Targets and "virtual" treasure hunter allotments:

1. guitarwes
2. Dockwalliper
3. ROCKETMAN
4. goldrush00013
5. Coinerww2
6. Omega
7. GaCoinGuy
8. MarkInDavis
9. GBurger717
10. Bochiman
11. Ricko
12. JaLP
13. pcgs69
14. AUandAG
15. mrpaseo
16. JamesMurray
17. demodigger
18. freechance
19. jfloomis3
20. kevinstang

Round 2, Targets #21-40.

Digger: goldrush00013

imageimage

Date dug: to be announced

Site(s): to be announced

Detector: to be announced

Round 2 giveaway prize:

Three Archaic Side Notched projectile points, circa 7,000 B.C

Targets and "virtual" treasure hunter allotments:

21. Musky1011
22. Bochiman
23. Swampboy
24. GBurger717
25. Dockwalliper
26. AUandAG
27. mrpaseo
28. ROCKETMAN
29. JamesMurray
30. LukeMarshall
31. guitarwes
32. JaLP
33. OldEastside
34. kevinstang
35. jimbux61
36. Staircoins
37. GaCoinGuy
38. ricko
39. pcgs69
40. Omega

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.

Comments

• Options
    Basically you're going to pick a number- any number (but just one number). Then when all the targets are preselected and assigned to "virtual treasure hunters", I will go out and dig them up. Whoever preselected the nicest or most interesting find (determined by a poll when the results are in), will win the giveaway prize (probably a non-dug silver coin). I keep the actual items found, but usually most of those are junk, anyway. Your virtual "find" might end up being a rusty nail and it might be a gold ring or a nice coin. The better the target you preselected in advance, the better the chance you have of winning the giveaway prize.

UPDATE: we have two rounds now. My round, and John's round. So you may select a target in each. (Well, as of this post my round is closed for entries, but there are a few left in John's.)

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Target #11 Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    GaCoinGuyGaCoinGuy Posts: 2,724 ✭✭✭✭
    #7 for me. please.
    imageimage

• Options
    If i may , i'll choose sweet 16 , thanks for this wee tourny , it'll have me thinking to come up with one too.High time i took the old bounty hunter out in those fields.
  • Options
    #18 please. Good luck, I hope you find a lot of good stuff.
  • Options
    OmegaOmega Posts: 1,587 ✭✭✭
    Target #6 please!! I went out and scratched the frozen Michigan topsoil yesterday for a couple of hours. One pull tab and one rusty fishing lure. Sure beat working!
  • Options
    I'll take #3 please! Thanks and good luck on your hunt!!! Rich
  • Options
    pcgs69pcgs69 Posts: 4,266 ✭✭✭✭
    I'll take lucky 13!
  • Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,544 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lucky 14 please! I too missed the others...bummer.

bobimage

Edited to say 14 please. I see that two of us were writing the request for 13 at the same
    time and I posted last, so change me please!
    Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options
    I'll take target #4 if a former VTH digger can play.image
    Analog Rules! Knobs and Switches are cool!
    imageimage
  • Options
    MarkInDavisMarkInDavis Posts: 1,699 ✭✭✭✭
    I'll take #8.
    image Respectfully, Mark
  • Options
    JaLPJaLP Posts: 199 ✭✭✭
    First time player. Target #12 Please.
  • Options
    guitarwesguitarwes Posts: 9,240 ✭✭✭

Give me #1 baby, oh yeah. I can feel a sweet little silver Merc getting a glimsp of daylight for the first time in a long time.

@ Elite CNC Routing & Woodworks on Facebook. Check out my work.
    Too many positive BST transactions with too many members to list.
  • Options
    DockwalliperDockwalliper Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭
    OW Ow number 2!!

Thank You. image
  • Options
    TARGET # 9 Please
  • Options

<< <i>I'll take target #4 if a former VTH digger can play. >>

How could I refuse the #1 VTH veteran a slot in this one? Or heck, if you don't wanna be on the sidelines, you could be Designated Digger for a Round Two on this one if you like, John. I put you down as a contestant with Slot #4 in the meantime.

<< <i>Give me #1 baby, oh yeah. I can feel a sweet little silver Merc getting a glimsp of daylight for the first time in a long time. >>

Wes- you got it. I sure wish I shared your confidence that my first dig will be silver! I like how you think, though. Hey... it could happen!

• Options
    I ll take 17 if still available.
  • Options
    kevinstangkevinstang Posts: 1,517 ✭✭✭
    I'll take a shot if #20 is still open- the last find of the day can sometimes be the best!- and all I can do now is sit and watch the snow come down
  • Options
    Hey, could you put me down for spot 5 image?
  • Options
    BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,305 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Rob,

Pen me in for #10 slot please...my son's age as of this month image

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• Options
    mrpaseomrpaseo Posts: 4,753 ✭✭✭
    15 if still available (My daughters age).

Thank you so much for everything that you bring to this Medal Detecting forum. You do keep it interesting.

Thanks,
    Ray
  • Options
    I'll take 17- how old I will be 13 days!

If that's taken, give me whatever if left!
    Jimmy L.
    Successful BST transactions with: Tdec1000, lordmarcovan, WTCG, PRoemisch, Hayden, bolivarshagnasty, nibanny, morgan3896, WaterSport
  • Options
    OldEastsideOldEastside Posts: 4,602 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Promote the Hobby
  • Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,544 ✭✭✭✭✭
    26 for me please on number two!

bobimage
    Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options
    Jimmy- #17 was already spoken for by demodigger, so I gave you #19.

Round 1 is now closed for entries.

Yep, that's right. You heard me say "Round 1". Turns out that good ol' goldrush00013, my original VTH partner from the previous games, is aboard, and he'll be doing a Round 2 of twenty targets as well.

So even if you have a slot in Round 1, you may select one in Round 2 as well. Just pick a number between 21 and 40.

(I've chosen #26 in John's round, just as he has #4 in mine, so though we're both Designated Diggers, we're also contestants in each other's rounds this time.)

John will PM me a picture of his prize. The giveaway prize for my round will be an AU 1892 USA Columbian half dollar commemorative that I just bought for $19. So a modest but decent prize. I think John will be giving up a prehistoric projectile point or arrowhead of some kind, but I'll announce that and add prize pictures later.

As of this post, we still have some room in John's Round Two available.

• Options
    I'll take number 28 in round 2 please. Thanks!! Rich
  • Options
    OldEastsideOldEastside Posts: 4,602 ✭✭✭✭✭
    33 in round 2

Thanx Rob

Steve
    Promote the Hobby
  • Options
    Cool.
    Round 2 - slot 22 please image

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• Options
    Cool , can i go for 29 in round two please ?
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Number 38 in round two .... Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    GaCoinGuyGaCoinGuy Posts: 2,724 ✭✭✭✭
    #37 in Round 2, please

Thanks for the chances.
    imageimage

• Options
    pcgs69pcgs69 Posts: 4,266 ✭✭✭✭
    I'll go for 39!
  • Options

<< <i>Cool , can i go for 29 in round two please ? >>

JM, I had already claimed that one for my own. But you may have it. I've changed myself to slot #32.

• Options
    kevinstangkevinstang Posts: 1,517 ✭✭✭
    I'll take 34 in round two
  • Options
    My wife chose number 27 if it is still available please.

Thanks,
    Ray
  • Options
    round 2 I want number 24
  • Options
    Swampboy PM-ed me for slot #23. I told him to post here to claim it, but went ahead and assigned it to him anyway.

John is working on getting a picture of his giveaway prize, and says he has some nice parks lined up.

VTH4 does away with the trash exclusion rule of VTH2 and VTH3, and goes back to the VTH1 "anything goes" policy. This means that John and I will be recording a sequence of targets without excluding any trash that was dug. Your virtual "treasure" could end up being nothing more than a rusty bottle cap. But I think that adds an element of realism, 'cause those are the breaks in the real world of metal detecting.

Nevertheless, he and I will both be selective about what we dig, and go for the most interesting-sounding targets that have a "coin" range meter reading or a nice "round" sound to them. By being selective, we'll also potentially leave some goodies behind, but at least that way VTH4 won't be two rounds of nothing but trash, hopefully.

• Options
    SwampboySwampboy Posts: 12,886 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hey Rob, thanks for the spot.
    This sounds like fun!
  • Options
    Gil- glad to see you here. The last three were a LOT of fun. This time around it's far more modest in scale, but VTH3 was almost too big and complicated. This time, after five years of dormancy, I thought it was time to bring the old game out again and get back to the essentials. Despite that, I think it'll be a blast, and if nothing else, it will get rusty ol' Goldrush John and I out of the house and back in the field, with our coils to the soil! image

• Options

<< <i>

JM, I had already claimed that one for my own. But you may have it. I've changed myself to slot #32. >>

Swap'em LM if you'd rather ..of course then if 32 comes up trumps ..lol..it's very good of you LM , there will be a round 3 , i'll do round three with fred flintstones old detector here , its a Bounty Hunter 101 and i'll set the discrimination to cancel junk best i can. Same allotment of numbers and i'll look through my albums for a prize to the winning ticket.
    I'll be ready to go by the weekend and will use the old pasture for target shooting.
  • Options
    guitarwesguitarwes Posts: 9,240 ✭✭✭

put me down for #31 in the second list. I smell silver, big silver. image
    @ Elite CNC Routing & Woodworks on Facebook. Check out my work.
    Too many positive BST transactions with too many members to list.
  • Options
    DockwalliperDockwalliper Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭
    Round 2 #25 please image
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

JM, I had already claimed that one for my own. But you may have it. I've changed myself to slot #32. >>

Swap'em LM if you'd rather ..of course then if 32 comes up trumps ..lol..it's very good of you LM , there will be a round 3 , i'll do round three with fred flintstones old detector here , its a Bounty Hunter 101 and i'll set the discrimination to cancel junk best i can. Same allotment of numbers and i'll look through my albums for a prize to the winning ticket.
    I'll be ready to go by the weekend and will use the old pasture for target shooting. >>

James is going to do a round at hid old place???
    Can I have spot #11 in that one

• Options
    11 it is Ron image
  • Options
    LM, so when does the action start? I am eager to follow your hunt image

Ray
  • Options
    OmegaOmega Posts: 1,587 ✭✭✭
    #40 in round two please!
  • Options

<< <i>LM, so when does the action start? I am eager to follow your hunt >>

As soon as I can, Ray. Thursday I'm goin' on a real archaeological dig at Fort Frederica National Monument (with my daughter's school class). I'll likely just be a spectator for that, but they probably let the kids get some real hands-on with the artifacts. Apparently there were some trenches dug in the 1950s in which artifacts were reburied (or so I heard. Real archaeologists sure do weird stuff sometimes.)

James- if you're going to do your own version of a VTH, please put it in its own thread, 'cause the duplicate target numbers might confuse some folks. I'll definitely look in on your action, though. I take it you have a neat old site? If you're wanting to become an officially sanctioned VTH4 digger, I'll talk to John about it. This was the first I'd heard of you wanting to join up. I initially was going to do a solo round to keep this simple, but since John has been my VTH partner from the very beginning and dug in all three of the previous ones, I decided to expand it to a second round. It might get confusing if too many people start volunteering for additional rounds, particularly if they're using target numbers from rounds that are already assigned. VTH3 got to be almost too big and unwieldy, so we're scaling back.

Still, if John says you're in, then I guess you're in. But there will be no target #11 in Round 3, if there even IS a Round 3. I'm tryin' to keep this simple.

But there is always VTH5 if this one goes well.

• Options
    Sorry LM , just wanted to give back a little.Carry on..
  • Options
    Imagine you're the manager of a baseball team which has a glorious but somewhat faded past. You and your teammates haven't been to the playoffs for many, many years. You're not in top condition but you're not ready for retirement yet, either. Now it looks as though you've got a shot, and you've got some of the old lineup back together. Excitement is building. Fans are starting to enter the stadium and take their places in the bleachers. Some are waving pennants and those goofy foam rubber finger things.

Suddenly a guy from way up in the bleachers gets up, puts down his chili dog, strides down onto the field, picks up a bat, and starts warming up. Your team starts asking you questions about where he came from. All you can do is shrug. Then the guy puts down the bat, goes over to the PA system, and announces to the crowd that he's going to be in the lineup. Not only that, but he also changes your lineup.

Now here's the thing. You've seen this guy around, and you know he's actually a pretty good ball player. The fans are cheering for him, too. You know he can play, and might even play better than you and your star players ever did. But what do you do? You don't want to just throw him out and be rude. But on the other hand, he just kind of announced himself a member of the team and inserted himself into the lineup.

Do you rethink your lineup and work him in? He could be an added attraction. But then how do you manage the team? Can anybody just come down and start swingin' a bat without so much as a nod to you or the other players?

That's how I felt when I came here to update the target assignments, only to find out that we have a third Designated Digger who apparently designated himself, has added another inning to the game, and has also awarded a "Target #11" to somebody when Target #11 is already assigned.

Please don't take me wrong, JM. You're welcome to become a Designated Digger in VTH4. But it would have been nicer if John or I had been consulted first, is all. If you want in, and John agrees, then you're in. Let me PM you the particulars so we can coordinate this as a team effort. I'll need some information from you and I can fill you in. John and I had already planned some things out.

Hey, I totally applaud your enthusiasm and wouldn't mind cheering you on. But I think you see where I'm comin' from.

C'mon aboard the bus and lets talk about gettin' you fitted for the uniform and stuff. image

(BTW, the pension plan ain't so hot, and sorry, we don't have Dental.)

• Options
    Oh, Musky1011 PM-ed me and asked for slot #21. I told him to request it here, but once again, I'll go ahead and assign it to him in the meantime.

PS- Wednesday the 29th might end up being Dig Day for Round One. Leap Day. Could be an auspicious occasion. I hope so.