Home Metal Detecting
Options

OK, it's been five years. Who's ready for VIRTUAL TREASURE HUNT IV?

lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,218 ✭✭✭✭✭
Hey, forum oldtimers! Remember VTH1, VTH2, and VTH3?

It's sure been a long time, hasn't it?

High time to do it again, I think.

Heck, it's high time I got out diggin' again. (Can you say "rusty and out of shape"? Ugh.)

The last VTH games, particularly VTH2 and VTH3, were real extravaganzas, with multiple rounds, multiple designated diggers, and big prizes. We gave away stuff like a new metal detector, and a Spanish gold coin from the 1700s. And a fine time was had by all.

VTH4 is going to be a far more modest affair, in keeping with these austere times. (Maybe VTH5 can be something more along the lines of the old ones, but let's not get ahead of ourselves.)

Update: "goldrush00013", my original VTH counterpart, has decided to dig a Round Two, so VTH4 will consist of two rounds of twenty targets each, with each of us acting as Designated Digger for one round. So it's not to be a solo operation after all.

Here's how it works.

I (your Designated Digger) will drag my lazy butt outta this chair, put on my dig duds, strap on my gear, and go out and dig up 20 targets.

You, the vicarious "virtual" treasure hunters, will come along for the ride. You'll each be offered the chance to pre-select one target by its target number (#1 through #20). At this point, since I haven't actually done the diggin' yet, not even I know what those targets will be.

Update: you may also pick a target in John's Round Two, between numbers 21 through 40. (Here.)

Note that no actual digging is required on your part. We'll do that. You just get to sit back and see how your "virtual" targets pan out.

You will get "virtual" credit for the target(s) you were assigned. At the end of each round, we'll review everything and I'll post a poll to see what the best find of the day's hunt was. Whoever picked the best find of the round in advance will win the giveaway prize for that round.

The best find might turn out to be nothing more exciting than a common Wheat cent, or if I'm lucky and get "silvered", a Mercury dime. But that's OK. Whatever it is, the person who preselected that target number is gonna win a (modest) prize.

For example, here's how an imaginary ten-target round might go down.
    #1, you got a ... pulltab!#2, you got a... nail!#3, you got a... shotgun shell!#4, you got a... 1973 Memorial cent!#5, you got a... nail!#6, you got a... pulltab!#7, you got a... 1978 clad dime!#8, you got a... 1942-D Mercury dime!#9, you got a... pulltab!#10, you got an... old Ford key!
In this scenario, the person who preselected Target #8 (the Mercury dime) would almost certainly win the prize when the poll got posted.

Watch for the VTH4 thread and target assignments to be posted soon, and the digs (hopefully) soon after that.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.

Comments

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cool... looks like fun.. do not know how I missed the others... Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    VTH4 will be fun! Never played 1-3. Plus we may get more exciting stories out of your new digs. Can't ask for more!!! Rich