Home Precious Metals
Options

Diamonds in precious metal jewelry......

BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,304 ✭✭✭✭✭
So, I fully understand how the PM jewelry part works, but how would one get the best value for the diamonds?
Pop them out? Go to a jewelry for the sale (who may not give the best value for the bullion part)? Not talking about the little tiny diamond pieces, but actual pieces that can be reset into a new piece.

Asking on behalf of my brother who mentioned to me tonight that he has some pieces in rings, etc.

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

Comments

• Options
    PokermandudePokermandude Posts: 2,710 ✭✭✭
    My local B&M coin shop that deals a lot in junk silver and gold told me that basically any diamond less than half a carat has virtually no resale value.
    http://stores.ebay.ca/Mattscoin - Canadian coins, World Coins, Silver, Gold, Coin lots, Modern Mint Products & Collections
  • Options
    cohodkcohodk Posts: 18,621 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>My local B&M coin shop that deals a lot in junk silver and gold told me that basically any diamond less than half a carat has virtually no resale value. >>

This is pretty much true.
    Excuses are tools of the ignorant

Knowledge is the enemy of fear

• Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,564 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The shop where I used to work just leaves them in when the gold is sent to the furnace. Not worth the effort to take them out of the mounting.
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yep... resale value consigned to the large gems or those with provenance (usually large as well). Smaller ones are best kept and then set into a piece of jewelry you design for your wife or girlfriend. Saves money there anyway. Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    Thanks guys.
    Don't know the size of the stones right now, but I will send my brother email with the info.
    Appreciate it!

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>My local B&M coin shop that deals a lot in junk silver and gold told me that basically any diamond less than half a carat has virtually no resale value. >>

This is pretty much true. >>

1/4 carat is a pretty big stone , i'm quite surprised
  • Options
    WeissWeiss Posts: 9,935 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Guy locally who buys from estates, classified ads, and his own gold buying business buys them at gold weight. In other words, if they're good quality gems (not just diamonds), he just throws the whole piece on the scale and pays what the whole weight at its corresponding karat gold value.

Consequently, he has a pretty lucrative side business reselling the gems (not just diamonds) to local jewelers. Seller gets paid, he buys good gems at a discount, resells them at a profit, and the jewelers get recycled gems for less than wholesale.

I mention it because in the 30+ years I've been buying and selling scrap, I've never seen anyone do it like he does. It takes a huge amount of knowledge and a ready and willing market for the gems. I suspect that as gold continues to rise it will become less profitable. But for now at least it looks like he's getting paid.
    We are like children who look at print and see a serpent in the last letter but one, and a sword in the last.
    --Severian the Lame
  • Options
    jdimmickjdimmick Posts: 9,604 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I throw them in the trash, or give em away to some of my regular customers who wan tthem.
  • Options
    Let me know what he has ill take them even pointers .01 carat. As long as theyre loose. .15 to .25 carats are worth around $15 each.
    .01 pointers are about $35 a carat. I sell these to industrial saw companies.
    The bigger they go their value increases exponentially.

As for you others ill take w/e you can get, dont throw them or give them away or incinerate them, get rid of them and to the stack!!!

• Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,521 ✭✭✭✭✭

thats to bad especially for some of the prices people pay for them. jmo
  • Options
    SpoolySpooly Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭
    I would never buy a diamond under 1 carat. 1 carat is the magic number for wedding rings. Today...... U.S. women view anything under 1 carat as an insult.
    Si vis pacem, para bellum

In God We Trust.... all others pay in Gold and Silver!
  • Options
    An insult ? Maybe we should point them to this thread , the only insult is to our intelligence buying the things.
  • Options
    In the last year I've noticed there are now 2-3 diamod buyers advertising in the CDN (gray sheet). It has me wondering who these people are and what's their game.
    Remember, I'm pullen for ya; we're all in this together.---Red Green---
  • Options
    of course no responses....
  • Options
    tydyetydye Posts: 3,894 ✭✭✭
    I just looked this up but a one carat diamond only weighs 1/5 of a gram. I did not know they were so light.
  • Options

<< <i>of course no responses.... >>

No response just because I didn't see your response to this thread.
    I'll talk to him about it, but I haven't seen them as he is in a different state.

• Options
    I used to sell melee(small diamonds) for a $100 a carat wholesale. I could get $300 a carat for diamonds 1/4ct to 1/2 carat VS1 quality with no problem. At 1/2 ct to 1 ct, the Rappaport sheet comes in handy. 40% of Rap used to be the standard. That has since dropped to about 20% on a wholesale basis provided the stones are VS1 or better quality. Once the stone gets yellow (I or lower), then the prices drop substantially and no body whats them. A stone .8 to 1 carat with a fancy cut is still bringing fair money.

TRUTH
  • Options

<< <i>I used to sell melee(small diamonds) for a $100 a carat wholesale. I could get $300 a carat for diamonds 1/4ct to 1/2 carat VS1 quality with no problem. At 1/2 ct to 1 ct, the Rappaport sheet comes in handy. 40% of Rap used to be the standard. That has since dropped to about 20% on a wholesale basis provided the stones are VS1 or better quality. Once the stone gets yellow (I or lower), then the prices drop substantially and no body whats them. A stone .8 to 1 carat with a fancy cut is still bringing fair money.

TRUTH >>

Hmhhh interesting how long was this ago???
    Because current prices are about 1/2 to 1/3 of what your quoting above

Please PM your buyers info!!!
    Much appreciated
  • Options
    BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hell, I'll pay $300 a carat for white (D through I) VS1 and better clarity round cut quarter to half carat stones. PM me for shipping addy.

most junk (retail) jewelry stones are smaller and poorer quality, and yes, those are worth less, far less

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>I used to sell melee(small diamonds) for a $100 a carat wholesale. I could get $300 a carat for diamonds 1/4ct to 1/2 carat VS1 quality with no problem. At 1/2 ct to 1 ct, the Rappaport sheet comes in handy. 40% of Rap used to be the standard. That has since dropped to about 20% on a wholesale basis provided the stones are VS1 or better quality. Once the stone gets yellow (I or lower), then the prices drop substantially and no body whats them. A stone .8 to 1 carat with a fancy cut is still bringing fair money.

TRUTH >>

Hmhhh interesting how long was this ago???
    Because current prices are about 1/2 to 1/3 of what your quoting above

Please PM your buyers info!!!
    Much appreciated >>

http://www.melee-diamonds.com/sell-diamonds.html

Payouts are for average stones which are average clarity and average color. Stones with excellent clarity and excellent color, cut and polish with garner a significant premium, as will desirable shapes like long, trapezoidal baguettes.
    Melee Diamonds and Breakout Diamonds up to 1/4 ct in carats Average Payout Per Carat in USD
    .01 - .05 $75
    .05 - .10 $80
    .10 - .14 $100
    .15 - .19 $110
    .20 - .25 $125