Home› U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Post Your Favorite "Gennie"

Here's mine, which I bought already in the Gennie holder. I couldn't pass it up, as I really liked the coin, even with the small, old, pinscratched "X" on the reverse. The 1855-D is one of the rarest Dahlonega half eagles. The bluish-silver area behind Liberty's neck is an Iridium impurity in the alloy, a condition well-documented in the Dahlonega Mint literature. Since it's a Gennie, I'll disclose the purchase price: $1,050.

image
"Clamorous for Coin"

Comments

  • Options
    MFHMFH Posts: 11,720 ✭✭✭✭
    This is my favorite Genny - that I actually own -

    image
    image


    J.M.W. actually owns my favorite Genny however. 1892-O Micro O.

    Hope he adds the images here - this should be an intresting Thread !!
    Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Coin collecting is not a hobby, it's an obsession !

    New Barber Purchases
  • This content has been removed.
  • Options
    fcfc Posts: 12,805 ✭✭✭


    << <i>

    << <i>Here's mine, which I bought already in the Gennie holder. I couldn't pass it up, as I really liked the coin, even with the small, old, pinscratched "X" on the reverse. The 1855-D is one of the rarest Dahlonega half eagles. The bluish-silver area behind Liberty's neck is an Iridium impurity in the alloy, a condition well-documented in the Dahlonega Mint literature. Since it's a Gennie, I'll disclose the purchase price: $1,050.

    image >>



    I can understand your reasoning, it is VERY NICE! >>



    Ditto! That X on the rev does not bother me at all! I could easily live with it on that date and mint.
  • Options
    JMWJMW Posts: 497 ✭
    Here's one with questionable toning. Which I can guarantee is not true.

    imageimage
  • Options
    My one and only:

    image
    image
  • Options
    BarndogBarndog Posts: 20,533 ✭✭✭✭✭
    obverse marks/damage


    image
  • Options
    AnkurJAnkurJ Posts: 11,375 ✭✭✭✭
    1793 Liberty Cap Cent
    PCGS Genuine due to scratches
    R6

    image

    AJ
    All coins kept in bank vaults.
    PCGS Registries
    Box of 20
    SeaEagleCoins: 11/14/54-4/5/12. Miss you Larry!
  • Options
    MisterBungleMisterBungle Posts: 2,308 ✭✭✭

    If those were just two random scratches and didn't
    cross over each other, would it have still received a
    "Genuine"??

    I guess probably, huh?

    image >>



    ~


    "America suffers today from too much pluribus and not enough unum.".....Arthur Schlesinger Jr.

  • Options
    This is close although I have a few, it is problem free but with chop marks which don't get a grade on darkside like they do with trade dollars
    image
  • Options
    liefgoldliefgold Posts: 1,786 ✭✭✭✭✭
    MY 1855-D. Also a gennie, cleaned.
    imageimage
    liefgold
  • Options
    BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Don't own a PCGS but here's a NCS Uncentered Broadstrike

    imageimage

    (scratch on Liberty's shoulder in on the holder)
    To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!
  • Options
    etexmikeetexmike Posts: 6,852 ✭✭✭
    I own just the one.

    image


    Mike
  • Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 35,968 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I especially like the 1855-D half eagle and the Bar Cent. Those two would fit in my collection if I were in the market for them.

    I would MUCH RATHER have that 1855-D half eagle with the "X" and than some of the graded, scrubbed up VF and EF graded pieces I see at the shows.
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    drei3reedrei3ree Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭✭
    I've never been tempted to buy a Genuine coin...
  • Options
    guitarwesguitarwes Posts: 9,308 ✭✭✭


    << <i>I've never been tempted to buy a Genuine coin... >>



    Me either, but I would bet alot of us buy and own really nice "Genuine coins", just not in slabs.
    @ Elite CNC Routing & Woodworks on Facebook. Check out my work.
    Too many positive BST transactions with too many members to list.
  • Options
    MidLifeCrisisMidLifeCrisis Posts: 10,618 ✭✭✭✭✭


    << <i>I especially like the 1855-D half eagle and the Bar Cent. Those two would fit in my collection if I were in the market for them. >>


    image
  • This content has been removed.
  • Options
    SwampboySwampboy Posts: 13,269 ✭✭✭✭✭


    << <i>I own just the one.

    image


    Mike >>



    image



    Thank goodness my standards aren't so high I'd dismiss this piece due to the label.

    image

    "Inspiration exists, but it has to find you working" Pablo Picasso

  • Options
    mbogomanmbogoman Posts: 5,343 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My 2012 newp, Genuine-92 Cleaned, but I love her anyway...

    image
  • Options
    braddickbraddick Posts: 25,194 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wow! ^^Cool dollar, cleaned or not.

    You win!
    Here's a Gennie I enjoy owning...
    (Can you guess the problem code PCGS used?) image


    image
  • Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 35,968 ✭✭✭✭✭


    << <i>Wow! ^^Cool dollar, cleaned or not.

    You win!
    Here's a Gennie I enjoy owning...
    (Can you guess the problem code PCGS used?) image


    image >>



    That quarter looks like a neon sign. image
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    lkeigwinlkeigwin Posts: 16,895 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cleaned. Those aren't rim dings at K10/11 on the obverse. Edge lettering.
    Lance.

    imageimage
    image
  • Options
    LakesammmanLakesammman Posts: 17,702 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Would love to, but I don't own it anymore. image
    Gone but not forgotten: IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Ricko, Big Moose, Cardinal, CoinsAreFun.
  • Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 35,968 ✭✭✭✭✭


    << <i>Cleaned. Those aren't rim dings at K10/11 on the obverse. Edge lettering.
    Lance.

    imageimage
    image >>



    By the looks of the coin in photo, that's pretty call to label that one as "cleaned."
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    BaleyBaley Posts: 22,663 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Here's my favorite Genuine-type coin, also one of my favorite coins in my collection period, only a small percentage of coin collectors have seen a 1797 13 star half dime in person, much less owned one, and much less touched it with the bare hands, and put it in an album, all of which was possible for me, due to the little hole, which kept the coin from being worn, damaged, and lost in circulation or melted, and me being in the right place at the right time to be able to be the owner of this one for many years

    image

    such a coin is clearly not for everyone, but I've never been one to say of a very rare coin, "I'd rather have none, than one with a problem" if the price is right. (or, in this case, "Fair") the vast majority of collectors would prefer a problem free (and detail-free) Fair in a PCGS slab, or, more likely, an empty hole in a type set, than this, and for that I'm thankful.

    Here's another problem coin, an 1805 B-5 quarter again, not perfect by any means, but who else has one, in any condition? not many

    image

    Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

  • Options
    ElmerFusterpuckElmerFusterpuck Posts: 4,915 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This is one I own, and which I don't believe is AT. I've seen this pattern and color slabbed all day long.

    1882 Gennie:

    image
  • Options
    jayPemjayPem Posts: 4,119 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Posted this the other day, but I'll pop it into this thread as well.

    imageimage
  • Options
    MesquiteMesquite Posts: 4,075 ✭✭✭
    This ended up in a genuine holder at PCGS.

    image
    image
    There are two ways to conquer and enslave a nation. One is by the sword. The other is by debt.
    –John Adams, 1826
  • Options
    I've seen coins come from albums looking like this:

    imageimage

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Image
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file