Home Sports Talk
Options

OT: Chink In The Armor ----Really ESPN

I dont know if any of you saw this, but its an article about Jeremy Lin -- "Chink" come on what the hell are you thinking ESPN.

I HATE that network.

link
Looking for 1950 Bowman football PSA 7's

Comments

• Options
    they should fire that writer....awful....
    Rick Probstein
    Ebay Store:
    Probstein123
    phone: 973 747 6304
    email: rickprobstein1@gmail.com

Probstein123 is actively accepting CONSIGNMENTS !!
  • Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Who's the editor?

Crap happens - isn't that the job of some kind of editing producer to keep brain cramps like that from reaching the public?

Just hope this doesn't get out of hand - I'm abhorred by bigotry - but this was - IMO - an honest error and I hate to see PC run amuck.

edit: if this was a "play on words joke?" Then the guy's an idiot.
    Mike
  • Options
    DarinDarin Posts: 6,308 ✭✭✭✭✭
    No comment on the ESPN gaffe, "chink in the armor" is a pretty common phrase so probably just an unfortunate mistake, but there was a link to what Jason Whitlock tweeted, and I will say Whitlock is one of the biggest, egotistic morons the world has ever known. Used to write for the KC star and he's basically like the school bully that always picks on the smaller kids. He should have been fired from the whole world of sports journalism years ago.

DISCLAIMER FOR BASEBAL21
    In the course of every human endeavor since the dawn of time the risk of human error has always been a factor. Including but not limited to field goals, 4th down attempts, or multiple paragraph ramblings on a sports forum authored by someone who shall remain anonymous.
  • Options
    LMFAO!! ONLY at the embarrassment this must be for ESPN. Hope they get sued.....
  • Options
    NickMNickM Posts: 4,896 ✭✭✭
    The best response to Whitlock's tweet was "Project much?"

Nick
    Reap the whirlwind.

Need to buy something for the wife or girlfriend? Check out Vintage Designer Clothing.
  • Options
    GarabaldiGarabaldi Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭

<< <i>No comment on the ESPN gaffe, "chink in the armor" is a pretty common phrase so probably just an unfortunate mistake, but there was a link to what Jason Whitlock tweeted, and I will say Whitlock is one of the biggest, egotistic morons the world has ever known. Used to write for the KC star and he's basically like the school bully that always picks on the smaller kids. He should have been fired from the whole world of sports journalism years ago. >>

Unfortunate mistake? Calling an Asian a Chink is a bit more than a mistake.
  • Options
    frankhardyfrankhardy Posts: 8,046 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I am serious with this comment - I really don't get it. What is wrong with "Chink In The Armor"?

That is a fairly common saying. Is there something racial or something about that? If it is, I don't get it and have never heard of it.

Shane

• Options
    Wow. there are no words about how awful this is.

Big Fan of: HOF Post War RC, Graded RCs
    WTB: PSA 1 - PSA 3 Centered, High Eye Appeal 1950's Mantle
  • Options
    Indefensible!
  • Options
    VitoCo1972VitoCo1972 Posts: 6,127 ✭✭✭
    Someone is pretty dense. I can't imagine it was intentional, someone is just an idiot and an editor missed it. Although if we lived in bizarro world and the New York Post headlines could be completely racist, that would have been the headline. It's horrible.
  • Options

<< <i>I am serious with this comment - I really don't get it. What is wrong with "Chink In The Armor"?

That is a fairly common saying. Is there something racial or something about that? If it is, I don't get it and have never heard of it. >>

Chink in the armor is not offensive, until the word Chink is referred to an Asian.
  • Options
    I believe we are all too PC. ESPN is the absolute worst at being PC. The Hank Jr debacle was handled poorly. ESPN will respond in the worst possible manner before this is all done with.

Scoreboard Malfunction
  • Options

<< <i>I am serious with this comment - I really don't get it. What is wrong with "Chink In The Armor"?

That is a fairly common saying. Is there something racial or something about that? If it is, I don't get it and have never heard of it. >>

For those that don't know, chink is a derogatory term for Asian person. It is the equivalent of the n-word. I have been called it before and it does not feel good. When writing an article about the hottest athlete in the world that happens to be Asian, you may want to think about your headline for an extra two seconds...
    Joel
  • Options
    BrickBrick Posts: 4,938 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I know nothing of the writer so I can't judge his intent. I have taken "chink in the armor" to mean a vulnerable area, same as term "Achilles heal." I don't believe the phrase chink in the armor has any reference to race. However the use of the term in this instance shows a lack of forethought and leads to the question, are they actually paying the proofreader? I would give the benefit of the doubt to the writer and assume he meant no ill will. If he has a history of offensive speech then the doubt is gone. I think everyone at one time or another has said something they thought was "tongue in cheek" but ended up being foot in mouth.
    Collecting 1960 Topps Baseball in PSA 8
    http://www.unisquare.com/store/brick/

Ralph

• Options
    vladguerrerovladguerrero Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭
    INEXCUSABLE
  • Options
    SDSportsFanSDSportsFan Posts: 5,090 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This reminds me of what the San Diego Padres had to do back in the late 1970s.

The Padres played I think, the Cardinals over in Japan in an exhibition game. Well, the Padres had a pitcher named Bob Owchinko. I forget if he started the game or not, or if he might've come in as a reliever (he was a starter), but they had to change his name to Smith for this one game, since his real last name contained the derogatory term.

Steve
  • Options
    digicatdigicat Posts: 8,551 ✭✭
    "chink in the armor" is a common phrase.

It might also be interesting to note that Lin's old blog was entitled "Chinkballer"

<< <i>but they had to change his name to Smith for this one game, since his real last name contained the derogatory term. >>

That's just dumb. It's the guy's freaking NAME for crying out loud, not a slur!
    My Giants collection want list

WTB: 2001 Leaf Rookies & Stars Longevity: Ryan Jensen #/25
  • Options
    DarinDarin Posts: 6,308 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>No comment on the ESPN gaffe, "chink in the armor" is a pretty common phrase so probably just an unfortunate mistake, but there was a link to what Jason Whitlock tweeted, and I will say Whitlock is one of the biggest, egotistic morons the world has ever known. Used to write for the KC star and he's basically like the school bully that always picks on the smaller kids. He should have been fired from the whole world of sports journalism years ago. >>

Unfortunate mistake? Calling an Asian a Chink is a bit more than a mistake. >>

Of course if it was intentional then its inexcusable. But I don't think it was done on purpose, I just heard a fairly common phrase being used without forethought.

I just noticed something Stone wrote:' If it was done as a play on words, then the guys an idiot'. I agree completely with that. Heads should roll if it was done as a play on words.

DISCLAIMER FOR BASEBAL21
    In the course of every human endeavor since the dawn of time the risk of human error has always been a factor. Including but not limited to field goals, 4th down attempts, or multiple paragraph ramblings on a sports forum authored by someone who shall remain anonymous.
  • Options
    If it was an honest mistake "ok crap happens" I've heard the phrase before, if it was any attempt at a joke or humor they should be fired instantly.
  • Options
    shagrotn77shagrotn77 Posts: 5,567 ✭✭✭✭
    I think the world is way too PC conscious these days, and I do not get offended easily...but I thought this way way out of line. I would imagine it's the equivalent to dropping an N bomb to a black person. Not cool. ESPN has fallen so far with me, starting way before this, that I've gone from watching it incessantly to barely at all.
    "My father would womanize, he would drink. He would make outrageous claims like he invented the question mark. Sometimes he would accuse chestnuts of being lazy. The sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament. Our childhood was typical. Summers in Rangoon, luge lessons. In the spring we'd make meat helmets. When we were insolent we were placed in a burlap bag and beaten with reeds - pretty standard really."
  • Options
    VitoCo1972VitoCo1972 Posts: 6,127 ✭✭✭

<< <i>ESPN has fallen so far with me, starting way before this, that I've gone from watching it incessantly to barely at all. >>

It's the vanilla of sports. They don't say or do anything that any decent fans don't think themselves. I decided to only turn it on to watch games and unfollow all ESPN people on twitter a couple months ago. I actually feel like I know more about what's happening now.
  • Options
    PSASAPPSASAP Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭
    I wonder if ESPN will out the guy who is responsible for the headline?
  • Options
    zep33zep33 Posts: 6,897 ✭✭✭

<< <i> I think everyone at one time or another has said something they thought was "tongue in cheek" but ended up being foot in mouth. >>

I once used the phrase "You don't have a leg to stand on" while unknown to me, there was a guy sitting next to the person I was talking to that was missing a leg. That was a wonderful foot/mouth moment for me
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

Unfortunate mistake? Calling an Asian a Chink is a bit more than a mistake. >>

Of course if it was intentional then its inexcusable. But I don't think it was done on purpose, I just heard a fairly common phrase being used without forethought.

I just noticed something Stone wrote:' If it was done as a play on words, then the guys an idiot'. I agree completely with that. Heads should roll if it was done as a play on words. >>

With all the sayings that they have coined in the past 2-3 weeks for Lin, do you really think it was a coincidence?
  • Options
    Did anybody hear about Floyd Mayweather's tweet about Lin? Apparently Jenny Hyun, a songwriter for some Korean pop bands, took exception to it. She went on a racist rant over multiple tweets, and ended by calling for genocide.
  • Options
    pomobileclkpomobileclk Posts: 224 ✭✭✭
    This isn't the first time they used the headline. They got burned a few years ago using it on a USA basketball game in China. You would think they would have learned.

• Options
    TNP777TNP777 Posts: 5,711 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i> I think everyone at one time or another has said something they thought was "tongue in cheek" but ended up being foot in mouth. >>

I once used the phrase "You don't have a leg to stand on" while unknown to me, there was a guy sitting next to the person I was talking to that was missing a leg. That was a wonderful foot/mouth moment for me >>

Mike, being in retail you have probably seen this happen (and hopefully not committed it yourself). A salesperson, trying to make a friend, asks their customer, "so when are you due?"

"I'm not pregnant."

Awkward pause.

"Oh, Schmidt!" shouts the voice in the salesperson's head.

Thankfully I've never done it - I learned early on in my sales career not to make that mistake. Always, always wait for the woman to bring it up, even if you think it's plainly obvious.
  • Options
    Wow. I had not seen this.

EXTREMELY unlikely it was a coincidence. I am about as un-PC as they come, and even I find this to be in very poor taste.

Edited to add that I just clicked on the link to the Whitlock tweet. What the hell is wrong with people?
    'Sir, I realize it's been difficult for you to sleep at night without your EX/MT 1977 Topps Tom Seaver, but I swear to you that you'll get it safe and sound.'
    -CDs Nuts, 1/20/14

*1956 Topps baseball- 97.4% complete, 7.24 GPA
    *Clemente basic set: 85.0% complete, 7.89 GPA
  • Options

<< <i>It might also be interesting to note that Lin's old blog was entitled "Chinkballer"! >>

I find this very interesting... I think we are all way to sensitive - I find the outrage from all of us a bit over the top and would imagine all of us have said something like this about another racial group in a private setting out of the public's eye - unfortunately this went public.

Let’s all be honest with ourselves and look in the mirror before we cry out.
  • Options

<< <i>This reminds me of what the San Diego Padres had to do back in the late 1970s.

The Padres played I think, the Cardinals over in Japan in an exhibition game. Well, the Padres had a pitcher named Bob Owchinko. I forget if he started the game or not, or if he might've come in as a reliever (he was a starter), but they had to change his name to Smith for this one game, since his real last name contained the derogatory term.

Steve >>

It wasn't because Owchinko had the word chink in it. Owchinko translates to little penis.

From Bob Chandler's Book
    Matt's Card Page
    What I'm selling

Building Sets, Collecting Texas Rangers, and Texas Tech Red Raiders
  • Options
    PiggsPiggs Posts: 1,934 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>ESPN has fallen so far with me, starting way before this, that I've gone from watching it incessantly to barely at all. >>

It's the vanilla of sports. They don't say or do anything that any decent fans don't think themselves. I decided to only turn it on to watch games and unfollow all ESPN people on twitter a couple months ago. I actually feel like I know more about what's happening now. >>

Totally agree with these statements. Off topic but I cut back watching them because every single time someone in any sport makes a mistake, misses a field goal in big game, drops a ball in the playoffs they go back and have to show the biggest gaffs in sports: Bill Buckner's error, Chris Webber's timeout and some SB field goal missed. It's ridiculous and I'm sick of it.
  • Options

<< <i>

It's the vanilla of sports. They don't say or do anything that any decent fans don't think themselves. I decided to only turn it on to watch games and unfollow all ESPN people on twitter a couple months ago. I actually feel like I know more about what's happening now. >>

I could not have said it better.
  • Options
    mlbfan2mlbfan2 Posts: 3,115 ✭✭✭

<< <i>It wasn't because Owchinko had the word chink in it. Owchinko translates to little penis.
    >>

"Chinko" does, but not "Owchinko." Did they really have to change his name for the day, anyway? Does anyone named Dick change their name when they play sports?
  • Options
    otwcardsotwcards Posts: 5,291 ✭✭✭
    Ignorance has become something that is socially unacceptable when someone decides that they have to be politically correct in the eyes of the public.

As much as the title and commentary are insulting to certain ethnicity and sparks outrage amongst those wishing to appear sympathetic, I find it hypocritical that so many condemn the outlet (ESPN) and the author and yet probably tell off color jokes or find humor at the expense of others that are different. I apologize in advance because I found humor in a Forbes article about Lin that I read, "Jeremy Lin Destroys Notion That Asians Can't Drive". It was clever, but some would say that it is insulting to Asians although written by an AsianAmerican (Ray Kwong). I'm sure that many would laugh and others would cry outrage. And no one is better or worse for what they think of it.

Yes, the ESPN title is in poor taste. I seriously doubt that it was an unintentional error and that it was "missed" throughout the chain of command before being posted. But I'm not sure what I am more alarmed about. The outrage over the title or the feigned political correctness by so many that are cracking jokes at the water cooler on their lunch break.

Personally, I look at it as stupid and ignorant. But I also find the phenomenon and the overzealous hype in the media to be just as ignorant. As hard as it is to accept, Floyd Mayweather's comments, while called racist by many, were accurate. Had Lin been black, white or Hispanic, I doubt that he would've received much more attention that any other D-Leaguer that comes up and excels. But being Asian-American, being undrafted from Harvard, playing in New York City and leading a rudderless Knicks team to 7 straight victories created the perfect storm and a feel good story that the media can continue to sell.

• Options
    mlbfan2mlbfan2 Posts: 3,115 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Personally, I look at it as stupid and ignorant. But I also find the phenomenon and the overzealous hype in the media to be just as ignorant. As hard as it is to accept, Floyd Mayweather's comments, while called racist by many, were accurate. Had Lin been black, white or Hispanic, I doubt that he would've received much more attention that any other D-Leaguer that comes up and excels. But being Asian-American, being undrafted from Harvard, playing in New York City and leading a rudderless Knicks team to 7 straight victories created the perfect storm and a feel good story that the media can continue to sell. >>

I don't know how you can say Mayweather was accurate. Here's his quote:
    “Jeremy Lin is a good player but all the hype is because he’s Asian. Black players do what he does every night and don’t get the same praise.”

ALL the hype is because he's Asian? Highly unlikely. When someone sets NBA records (eg. most points in first 6 NBA starts), there's going to be hype. Kevin Maas, anyone? Being Asian just added more hype.

And, "black players do what he does every night?" Partially true, but a black player (or any other color) has NEVER done (since the ABA/NBA merger) what he did in his first 6 games or so.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Personally, I look at it as stupid and ignorant. But I also find the phenomenon and the overzealous hype in the media to be just as ignorant. As hard as it is to accept, Floyd Mayweather's comments, while called racist by many, were accurate. Had Lin been black, white or Hispanic, I doubt that he would've received much more attention that any other D-Leaguer that comes up and excels. But being Asian-American, being undrafted from Harvard, playing in New York City and leading a rudderless Knicks team to 7 straight victories created the perfect storm and a feel good story that the media can continue to sell. >>

I don't know how you can say Mayweather was accurate. Here's his quote:
    “Jeremy Lin is a good player but all the hype is because he’s Asian. Black players do what he does every night and don’t get the same praise.”

ALL the hype is because he's Asian? Highly unlikely. When someone sets NBA records (eg. most points in first 6 NBA starts), there's going to be hype. Kevin Maas, anyone? Being Asian just added more hype.

And, "black players do what he does every night?" Partially true, but a black player (or any other color) has NEVER done (since the ABA/NBA merger) what he did in his first 6 games or so. >>

And he's also turning the ball over at an unprecedented rate, too. He's averaging 6.5 TO/gm since becoming a starter. The next worst in the league is Russell Westbrook at 4.3 TO/gm. But that doesn't get mentioned in the story.

As I said, and you quoted, the situation is the perfect storm. But a handful of games does not a career make.

The $64,000.00 question is, will Lin be another shooting star (no pun intended) like Kevin Maas or Joe Charboneau or be around longer and have a career like Tim Thomas (Bruins goalie) or Kurt Warner?
  • Options
    I hate it when I agree with Scott. It makes me question my life's direction! lol
    Scoreboard Malfunction
  • Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,523 ✭✭✭✭✭
    There's absolutely no way that headline was unintentional. ESPN did the right thing by firing the person responsible. If your judgment is that poor that you don't reconsider the effect that headline is going to have once it's posted, you really don't belong in that job description.

Edit to add: I do agree, however, that Lin is getting the media coverage he gets because he's an Asian player in a league where no ABC (American Born Chinese) player has ever made it to the NBA.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Unfortunate mistake? Calling an Asian a Chink is a bit more than a mistake. >>

I must have missed that part of it, yeah I heard the news guy say "chink in his armour"

But I did not hear him call Lin a chink.

With all that said, taken in context it was (or could be) taken as a slur.

Good for you.
  • Options
    hilarious.
  • Options
    BrickBrick Posts: 4,938 ✭✭✭✭✭
    First few games Lin played in he may have been an afterthought to the competition. That's not the case now. Teams watch film. They will set a game plan to slow him down. I imagine someone will find a way and other teams will adopt that plan. Then we will see if Lin can adjust his game accordingly. BTW who's this Novak kid? What's going on here?
    Collecting 1960 Topps Baseball in PSA 8
    http://www.unisquare.com/store/brick/

Ralph

• Options
    Yeah, everybody is a closeted racist hypocrite who cracks off-color jokes at the water cooler and pretends to be offended by politically incorrect slurs until they have a vested personal interest in protecting the victimized group. Then it's ok to be genuinely offended. :
  • Options
    ESPN has absolutely no spine.

They prove that they will cave to PC everytime.

With the Hank Jr debacle, they should have issued a statement to this effect " Hank sings our intro song, and does so very well. Hank unfortunately has the ability to open his mouth say completely stupid things as all can tell. If anyone thinks his beliefs are in line with our network, then unfortunately they have the same IQ as does the country music singer who performs for 90 seconds before MNF"

With this debacle here is what their statement should be "One of ourstaff writers showed a lack of forethought with one headline, we have subjected him to political correctness electro=shock therapy. We can assure that this will not happen again"

I would have much more respect for then, if they had issued either statement.

I have no problem with them acknowledging the issues, it is the over reaction that I have issues with.
    Scoreboard Malfunction
  • Options

<< <i>Yeah, everybody is a closeted racist hypocrite who cracks off-color jokes at the water cooler and pretends to be offended by politically incorrect slurs until they have a vested personal interest in protecting the victimized group. Then it's ok to be genuinely offended. : >>

Everybody? Really? Generalize much?

This is a classic example of taking something and twisting it out of context to deflect the fact that the statement has more fact than fiction attached to it.

I'm sure that most (not everybody) here have chuckled at an off color comment, joke, image or what have you and I'm sure a majority (not everybody) have told or shared the same with others (a few egregious examples have been posted on these boards in the past -- in a very derogatory and shameful manner). As I said, this doesn't make anyone any better or worse. It just defines the playing field.
  • Options

<< <i>Everybody? Really? Generalize much?

This is a classic example of taking something and twisting it out of context to deflect the fact that the statement has more fact than fiction attached to it.

I'm sure that most (not everybody) here have chuckled at an off color comment, joke, image or what have you and I'm sure a majority (not everybody) have told or shared the same with others (a few egregious examples have been posted on these boards in the past -- in a very derogatory and shameful manner). As I said, this doesn't make anyone any better or worse. It just defines the playing field. >>

I wasn't generalizing as much as I was exaggerating. My point is that people tend to be overly sensitive to political incorrectness when they perceive either themselves or someone close to them as a victim, but they don't give a Schmidt about it when they see it as somebody else's problem. That's more hypocritical in my eyes than discreetly using politically incorrect language with people who mean no genuine harm and/or use such language as a term of respect or endearment. Samuel L. Jackson recently discussed his frequent use of the N-word and how it can have a plethora of meanings depending on the tone and context in which it's delivered, regardless of the ethnicity of the person using it.

Perhaps the most egregious sin of all is that mainstream society's list of protected minority groups is arbitrary and exclusionary, and when an individual speaks out against savagery that victimizes a still-unprotected minority group, the backlash from general society is immense. This does in fact make certain people better and certain people worse. We are constantly making moral (or immoral, and sometimes heinous ones at that) decisions whether we realize it or not, and the playing field is constantly evolving, often times not for the better.
  • Options
    Looking for 1950 Bowman football PSA 7's
  • Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭

<< <i>but they don't give a Schmidt about it when they see it as somebody else's problem >>

Great use of the forums new word for poopie. +1
    Good for you.
  • Options
    handymanhandyman Posts: 5,244 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I hope they make it into a funny comercial with lin in it or something. They have the best comercials!!
  • Options

<< <i>FIRED >>

WOW. Just WOW. I don't much sympathize with the writer and editor of the ESPN Mobile headline, but to suspend Max Bretos for using the phrase as a piece of sports lingo that goes back decades and was not used in an offensive or derogatory context just because the subject of the discussion happens to be Asian is a terrible overreaction that is far worse than the original so-called "transgression," and that's a term that I'm using extremely loosely. What a farce this has become.

So I guess "Chink in the armor" is now a banned phrase, no matter who is using it, no matter who is being discussed, and no matter what the context. Let's just ban words to conceal bad behavior and make everyone feel good without actually fixing any problems. While we're at it, we can start banning entire books as well.
  • Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,523 ✭✭✭✭✭
    So I guess "Chink in the armor" is now a banned phrase, no matter who is using it, no matter who is being discussed, and no matter what the context. Let's just ban words to conceal bad behavior and make everyone feel good without actually fixing any problems. While we're at it, we can start banning entire books as well.

You're missing the point and using hyperbole here...it wasn't the phrase itself that is/was offensive but when you use it to refer specifically to am Asian-American player, it's at the very least in very poor taste. And as I stated before, if a writer's judgment is so poor that he or she can't foresee the fallout that such a charged reference would result in, he or she simply doesn't belong in that position, period.

Edit to add: I'm referring to the headline writer here--the commentator's situation is a bit murkier, imo, and the phrase in the the context of that conversation wasn't as egregious, imo..I suppose that's the main reason he wasn't fired, either.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.