Home Precious Metals
Options

PM recovery project started

Earlier I asked if there was something like a beginners guide to recover PMs from scrap computer parts and was given a link to a refining forum. After reading a lot there I found the beginners guide I was asking about, written by CM Hoke. I printed it out, all 371 pages and put it in a binder which I much easier to read plus I can make notes on it. I'm only about half way through reading it but realized I'm going to need some chemicals. So out comes the yellow pages and I start calling to find a place that carries Nitric, Hydrochloric, and Sullphuric acid. During the third call and being told we do not carry that, I asked if he could recomend a place that does. Bingo, about a one hour drive.

Yesterday I picked up 2 1/2 liters of each acid. Next week I can pick up some of the hardware I'll need such as beakers, test tubes, glass funnels ect. I still have a lot more reading to do before I start experimenting, but I'm looking forward to it. This is what I call fun.image
Remember, I'm pullen for ya; we're all in this together.---Red Green---

Comments

• Options
    tydyetydye Posts: 3,894 ✭✭✭
    I wish you luck but I think that there might be a few agencies watching you now.
  • Options
    secondrepublicsecondrepublic Posts: 2,619 ✭✭✭
    good luck... seems like a lot of work!
    "Men who had never shown any ability to make or increase fortunes for themselves abounded in brilliant plans for creating and increasing wealth for the country at large." Fiat Money Inflation in France, Andrew Dickson White (1912)
  • Options
    TWQGTWQG Posts: 3,145 ✭✭
    Do you have time to squeeze in a Chemistry degree?
    Those acids and their resultant fumes are going to be dangerous.
  • Options
    TomBTomB Posts: 20,733 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It might be what you call fun, but it also might be what you call toxic fumes if you do something wrong. You also may find that paying for proper disposal will be expensive unless you decide to illegaly dump the waste products.
    Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• Options
    OPAOPA Posts: 17,104 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Don't be surprised if Homeland Security or the EPA keeps you in their sightsimage
    "Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • Options
    NumisMeNumisMe Posts: 841 ✭✭

I wish you luck in your endevor, and I pray you also purchased some Sodium Hydroxide with that.
    Accidents do happen, and acid is very unforgiving.
    Get the Sodium Hydroxide and keep some close at hand when working with the acids, but also keep plenty at a distance just in case.
    Depending on where you live and where you are planning to store them, you will find that they tend to eat through their containers over time. Even Muratic Acid, which is diluted Hydrochloric Acid, does this.

Cheers !
  • Options
    pitbosspitboss Posts: 8,643 ✭✭✭

For the small amount of money you will make it is not worth it.

I strongly recommend you reconsider.
  • Options
    I'd be getting Sodium bi-carbonate (available at supermarket as bicarbonate soda) instead of Sodium Hydroxide. The trouble with the Hydroxide is that it itself burns so if you use too much to neutralise, it will end up burning you.
    Still thinking of what to put in my signature...
  • Options
    BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think you're making a mistake pursuing this. If you're like most people, you wont listen to good advice and learn from the mistakes of others; you will have to do it for yourself. Then later, you can give good advice to others, which they will then ignore because they have an idea in their head and are hell bent on going ahead.

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• Options
    WeissWeiss Posts: 9,935 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I think you're making a mistake pursuing this. If you're like most people, you wont listen to good advice and learn from the mistakes of others; you will have to do it for yourself. Then later, you can give good advice to others, which they will then ignore because they have an idea in their head and are hell bent on going ahead. >>

Now that's a hell of a good quote--and worth considering!
    We are like children who look at print and see a serpent in the last letter but one, and a sword in the last.
    --Severian the Lame
  • Options
    PreTurbPreTurb Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭
    I think you're making a mistake pursuing this. If you're like most people, you wont listen to good advice and learn from the mistakes of others; you will have to do it for yourself. Then later, you can give good advice to others, which they will then ignore because they have an idea in their head and are hell bent on going ahead

I'll do my part... I have a boxful of gold-plated electrical contacts I've been trying to get rid of - PM me.
  • Options
    << I think you're making a mistake pursuing this. If you're like most people, you wont listen to good advice and learn from the mistakes of others; you will have to do it for yourself. Then later, you can give good advice to others, which they will then ignore because they have an idea in their head and are hell bent on going ahead. >>

<< <i>Now that's a hell of a good quote--and worth considering! >>

Maybe, maybe not. It's something I want to try and learn something from. I'll let you know how it progresses.
    Remember, I'm pullen for ya; we're all in this together.---Red Green---
  • Options
    jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,380 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Are you experienced in handling concentrated acids, and do you have a fume hood? And as TomB points out, the wastes will be more expensive to dispose of than the materials you just bought to do the processing. I'm just sayin.

You may want to print out the Material Safety Data Sheets and then read them.
    Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    piecesofmepiecesofme Posts: 6,669 ✭✭✭
    MSDS 's, chemical resistant gloves and a respirator with the proper cartridge will save you alot of brain damage if you decide to do this. I hope that you don't, but please be very careful if you do.
    To forgive is to free a prisoner, and to discover that prisoner was you.
  • Options
    Downtown1974Downtown1974 Posts: 6,725 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i> You may want to print out the Material Safety Data Sheets and then read them. >>

And leave them out in the open so first responders can see them in the event something does go wrong.
  • Options
    streeterstreeter Posts: 4,312 ✭✭✭✭✭
    do me a very big favor and answer this question without googling the answer..

Do you put water into acid or acid into water? And why?

If you do not know the answer and the reason...do not pursue this project.

If you purchased those and plan on working with them....know that combining them with common products can and will kill you.

Nice knowin ya.
    Have a nice day
  • Options
    OnlyGoldIsMoneyOnlyGoldIsMoney Posts: 3,299 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just don't start.

I would not try to recover PM's from electronics. The risks are huge and the rewards are minimal.

There is a good reason where most of these risky procedures are undertaken in the unregulated third world.
  • Options
    Jinx86Jinx86 Posts: 3,671 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The only method Ive tried is stripping pins with hydrochloric with a and batter charger to push my current. I stripped around 30-40 pounds of pins per batch of acid and only yeilded about 3/4 ounce of gold. If done right you can make it worth while. I my self did not feel comfortable with some of the chemicals so thats the furthest I purified my gold. I rendered 14-18 Karat which I smelted into bars and mailed off to a refiner. Be prepared to pay fees to get rid of your waste chemicals and make sure you have a local company that takes that stuff otherwise you'll be paying someone to come and take it and have to pay a frieght charge for hazardous material.
  • Options
    Hope your Will is up to date. Seems selfish if you have a familyimage
    UCSB Electrical Engineering....... USCG and NASA
  • Options
    TomBTomB Posts: 20,733 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's been suggested you have sodium hydroxide (NaOH) close at hand. While it is nice to have NaOH close at hand, please keep in mind that the addition of concentrated NaOH to a concentrated acid solution can yield an explosive reaction. This is not chemical theory, this is real. About two decades ago I just missed being seriously injured when someone in my lab didn't think about what they were doing for a moment and added NaOH to an acid waste drum. It exploded, blew out the front of the fume hood, melted my protective glasses and created one heck of a mess. This was the result of perhaps 200ml NaOH into a four liter drum of acid waste.
    Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• Options
    streeterstreeter Posts: 4,312 ✭✭✭✭✭
    WEG,
    I own a plant in L.A. that plates metals. I was a chem major at Berkeley. I know a little about what you are attempting. Let me enlighten you a little.

The acids you are about to use may react to the plating under that gold. In your zeal to recover gold....just know that cyanide copper is used in the plating process.

Cyanide and certain acids react to form the equiv. of the GAS CHAMBER at SAN QUENTIN. That is the expedious way for the state of CAL to kill people.

Several years ago, (a well known co.) was cleaning their vats with Phosphoric.....which is just about the equivalent to the acidic level of lemon juice. They flushed the residual down into the sewer system in THE Valley, just so happens that CAL OSHA had given the OK to a plater to discharge a low PPM discharge of cyanide into the sewer at the same time. Either one would have been OK at different times. But not at the same time. FOUR workers died in the sewer system and three first responders perished. (a well known co.) was shown the door in CALIFORNIA.

You have no knowledge of waste disposal...or do you? Do you know what the hades you are doing? If you had to search the internet to find instruction and had a hard time locating chemicals...you do not have the proper training to be attempting this project. I feel confident in saying that not only will you endanger your own health but that of others.

WHAT are YOU going to do with the waste product?

edit: name of company
    Have a nice day