Home› U.S. Coin Forum
Options

I guess sometimes a B&M is the answer

I recently upgraded my gold type set so I was looking to sell a $2.50 AU Lib that I'd upgraded to MS. I figured on ebay I'd get between $320-$360 give or take so after shipping and fees $280-$320. I was going by the local B&M yesterday so I figured I'd see what he offered in trade for 90%(which was what I was going to buy with the money anyway) I expected to be low balled but he surprised me and offered $14 face which is $336 at the current 24x face. I was happy to take it and be on my way. And he didn't even talk down the coin..Well he did say that pcgs was generous with the grade but I think he just couldn't help himself but to talk it down a little.

Comments

  • Options
    kazkaz Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Glad you got a good deal.
  • Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 45,242 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Best hurry. They're nearly extinct.

    Practice makes perfect & nobody is perfect. So, practice being nobody.

  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 47,796 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Are you a regular customer? If so, he knows that you probably know coins and he'll give you a fair deal. The real test is when an old lady comes in with her late husbands collection.

    Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.
    "Paper money eventually returns to its intrinsic value---zero."----Voltaire
    "Everything you say should be true, but not everything true should be said."----Voltaire

  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    No doubt there are some B&M's that deal fairly, and, after all, they do have to make a profit. In my experience though, they are in the minority. This is based only on personal experiences, and those experiences at approximately 34 B&M's that I have visited over the years. Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    slincslinc Posts: 480 ✭✭


    << <i>Are you a regular customer? If so, he knows that you probably know coins and he'll give you a fair deal. The real test is when an old lady comes in with her late husbands collection. >>



    Yeah exactly, I'm regular enough that he is familiar with me. I was actually gonna get either 90% or silver eagles he had quoted me spot plus $3 in the past for eagles but when I went in there was another guy there who asked about eagles and he quoted him $40 each so I didn't ask about them as the guy was still there.
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 47,796 ✭✭✭✭✭


    << <i>Well he did say that pcgs was generous with the grade but I think he just couldn't help himself but to talk it down a little. >>



    Typical coin dealer negotiation tactic---Claim the coin is overgraded and then negotiate a buy price. When he goes to sell it, he'll probably claim that PCGS undergraded it.image

    Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.
    "Paper money eventually returns to its intrinsic value---zero."----Voltaire
    "Everything you say should be true, but not everything true should be said."----Voltaire

  • Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 34,203 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If it weren't for the B&M's, what would the cynics have to complain about?
    Professional Numismatist, Retired. 55 year member ANA. Former ANA Senior Authenticator. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and ANA Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner of the PNG's 2026 Robert Friedberg Award for "The Enigmatic Lincoln Cents of 1922," Available now from Whitman or Amazon.
  • Options
    BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,790 ✭✭✭✭✭


    << <i>If it weren't for the B&M's, what would the cynics have to complain about? >>



    Some of them? Probably their own mommas

    I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

  • Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 45,242 ✭✭✭✭✭


    << <i>Are you a regular customer? If so, he knows that you probably know coins and he'll give you a fair deal. The real test is when an old lady comes in with her late husbands collection. >>


    Fair is fair. The size , shape, design, or intelligence quota of a person has no bearing on how fairness is divvied out (as in cooperative dividend).

    Practice makes perfect & nobody is perfect. So, practice being nobody.

  • Options
    coindeucecoindeuce Posts: 13,528 ✭✭✭✭✭


    << <i>

    << <i>If it weren't for the B&M's, what would the cynics have to complain about? >>



    Some of them? Probably their own mommas >>



    I grade this post PROOF 70 image

    "Everything is on its way to somewhere. Everything." - George Malley, Phenomenon
    http://www.american-legacy-coins.com

  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 47,796 ✭✭✭✭✭


    << <i>If it weren't for the customers, what would the coin dealers have to complain about? >>



    CaptHenway---Fixed it for you. Feel free to use it in your next "Why coin dealers drink" thread.image

    Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.
    "Paper money eventually returns to its intrinsic value---zero."----Voltaire
    "Everything you say should be true, but not everything true should be said."----Voltaire

  • Options
    mrpotatoheaddmrpotatoheadd Posts: 7,576 ✭✭✭


    << <i>Typical coin dealer negotiation tactic---Claim the coin is overgraded and then negotiate a buy price. >>

    Unlike collectors, who never talk a coin they're trying to buy down in order to get a better price, right? image

    Seriously, though- I feel sorry for some of you people. Along comes a poster to relate a good experience he had, and what do you do? Find a way to turn the thead into another "dealers suck" whinefest. Real nice.
  • Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 45,242 ✭✭✭✭✭
    LOL PH

    Practice makes perfect & nobody is perfect. So, practice being nobody.

  • Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 45,242 ✭✭✭✭✭
    As a brick and mortar shop owner, I do not take umbrage. I just told a guy yesterday who complained about me looking at the COIN VALUE guide on a proof set instead of the "grey sheet" to price it, that I was the one paying the light bill while he sat there for a half hour. I asked him why he lied to his wife on the phone, too. He told her he was "on the way home".

    P.S. The difference was a dollar. We are talking a proof set that retails for $8 and he wanted it at grey sheet for $7.

    He didn't buy it. image I feel like calling his wife.

    Practice makes perfect & nobody is perfect. So, practice being nobody.

  • Options
    SonorandesertratSonorandesertrat Posts: 5,695 ✭✭✭✭✭


    << <i>If it weren't for the B&M's, what would the cynics have to complain about? >>



    Let's see....the U.S. Mint (rotten designs, poor customer service, etc.), auction houses (inaccurate lot descriptions, etc.), TPG's, price guides, yada yada.
    Member: EAC, NBS, C4, CWTS, ANA

    RMR: 'Wer, wenn ich schriee, hörte mich denn aus der Engel Ordnungen?'

    CJ: 'No one!' [Ain't no angels in the coin biz]
  • Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 34,203 ✭✭✭✭✭


    << <i>

    << <i>Typical coin dealer negotiation tactic---Claim the coin is overgraded and then negotiate a buy price. >>

    Unlike collectors, who never talk a coin they're trying to buy down in order to get a better price, right? image

    Seriously, though- I feel sorry for some of you people. Along comes a poster to relate a good experience he had, and what do you do? Find a way to turn the thead into another "dealers suck" whinefest. Real nice. >>



    image
    Professional Numismatist, Retired. 55 year member ANA. Former ANA Senior Authenticator. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and ANA Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner of the PNG's 2026 Robert Friedberg Award for "The Enigmatic Lincoln Cents of 1922," Available now from Whitman or Amazon.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Image
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file