Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

I guess sometimes a B&M is the answer

I recently upgraded my gold type set so I was looking to sell a $2.50 AU Lib that I'd upgraded to MS. I figured on ebay I'd get between $320-$360 give or take so after shipping and fees $280-$320. I was going by the local B&M yesterday so I figured I'd see what he offered in trade for 90%(which was what I was going to buy with the money anyway) I expected to be low balled but he surprised me and offered $14 face which is $336 at the current 24x face. I was happy to take it and be on my way. And he didn't even talk down the coin..Well he did say that pcgs was generous with the grade but I think he just couldn't help himself but to talk it down a little.

Comments

• Options
    kazkaz Posts: 9,106 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Glad you got a good deal.
  • Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 44,045 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Best hurry. They're nearly extinct.
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,692 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Are you a regular customer? If so, he knows that you probably know coins and he'll give you a fair deal. The real test is when an old lady comes in with her late husbands collection.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.
    Voltaire: Paper money eventually returns to its intrinsic value---zero.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    No doubt there are some B&M's that deal fairly, and, after all, they do have to make a profit. In my experience though, they are in the minority. This is based only on personal experiences, and those experiences at approximately 34 B&M's that I have visited over the years. Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    slincslinc Posts: 480 ✭✭

<< <i>Are you a regular customer? If so, he knows that you probably know coins and he'll give you a fair deal. The real test is when an old lady comes in with her late husbands collection. >>

Yeah exactly, I'm regular enough that he is familiar with me. I was actually gonna get either 90% or silver eagles he had quoted me spot plus $3 in the past for eagles but when I went in there was another guy there who asked about eagles and he quoted him $40 each so I didn't ask about them as the guy was still there.
  • Options

<< <i>Well he did say that pcgs was generous with the grade but I think he just couldn't help himself but to talk it down a little. >>

Typical coin dealer negotiation tactic---Claim the coin is overgraded and then negotiate a buy price. When he goes to sell it, he'll probably claim that PCGS undergraded it.image

• Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,764 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If it weren't for the B&M's, what would the cynics have to complain about?
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,322 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>If it weren't for the B&M's, what would the cynics have to complain about? >>

Some of them? Probably their own mommas

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• Options

<< <i>Are you a regular customer? If so, he knows that you probably know coins and he'll give you a fair deal. The real test is when an old lady comes in with her late husbands collection. >>

Fair is fair. The size , shape, design, or intelligence quota of a person has no bearing on how fairness is divvied out (as in cooperative dividend).

• Options
    coindeucecoindeuce Posts: 13,473 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>If it weren't for the B&M's, what would the cynics have to complain about? >>

Some of them? Probably their own mommas >>

I grade this post PROOF 70 image

"Everything is on its way to somewhere. Everything." - George Malley, Phenomenon
    http://www.americanlegacycoins.com

• Options

<< <i>If it weren't for the customers, what would the coin dealers have to complain about? >>

CaptHenway---Fixed it for you. Feel free to use it in your next "Why coin dealers drink" thread.image

• Options

<< <i>Typical coin dealer negotiation tactic---Claim the coin is overgraded and then negotiate a buy price. >>

Unlike collectors, who never talk a coin they're trying to buy down in order to get a better price, right? image

Seriously, though- I feel sorry for some of you people. Along comes a poster to relate a good experience he had, and what do you do? Find a way to turn the thead into another "dealers suck" whinefest. Real nice.
  • Options
    LOL PH

• Options
    As a brick and mortar shop owner, I do not take umbrage. I just told a guy yesterday who complained about me looking at the COIN VALUE guide on a proof set instead of the "grey sheet" to price it, that I was the one paying the light bill while he sat there for a half hour. I asked him why he lied to his wife on the phone, too. He told her he was "on the way home".

P.S. The difference was a dollar. We are talking a proof set that retails for $8 and he wanted it at grey sheet for $7.

He didn't buy it. image I feel like calling his wife.
  • Options
    SonorandesertratSonorandesertrat Posts: 5,695 ✭✭✭✭✭

Let's see....the U.S. Mint (rotten designs, poor customer service, etc.), auction houses (inaccurate lot descriptions, etc.), TPG's, price guides, yada yada.
    Member: EAC, NBS, C4, CWTS, ANA

RMR: 'Wer, wenn ich schriee, hörte mich denn aus der Engel Ordnungen?'

CJ: 'No one!' [Ain't no angels in the coin biz]
  • Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,764 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Typical coin dealer negotiation tactic---Claim the coin is overgraded and then negotiate a buy price. >>

Unlike collectors, who never talk a coin they're trying to buy down in order to get a better price, right? image

Seriously, though- I feel sorry for some of you people. Along comes a poster to relate a good experience he had, and what do you do? Find a way to turn the thead into another "dealers suck" whinefest. Real nice. >>

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file