Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Does anyone know anything about test coins?

I posted this thread on the World coin forum and it was suggested I ask you you guys if anyone had any info on this coin I came across.

Any information that you could give me would be appreciated. -Dan

Click me.

Comments

• Options
    ormandhormandh Posts: 3,111 ✭✭✭
    TTT for anyone who may know here on the US forums. Thanks!
  • Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,219 ✭✭✭✭✭
    cool test piece. was it priced indiidually or priced separately? (a/k/a what'd you pay for it?)

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    I bought it in a lot of misc. from a local auction. I did not see it until after the auction.
  • Options
    tahoe98tahoe98 Posts: 11,388 ✭✭✭

...say, dan, i wonder if roger would be able to help you ATS image
    "government is not reason, it is not eloquence-it is a force! like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master; never for a moment should it be left to irresponsible action." George Washington
  • Options
    I finally had this analyzed and it is pure nickel. It is Pollack #5225. This has been on the back of my mind for a while so I am glad to close this search.

Anyhow, here is the link if anyone is interested.Test coin

-Dan
  • Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,562 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I finally had this analyzed and it is pure nickel. It is Pollack #5225. This has been on the back of my mind for a while so I am glad to close this search.

Anyhow, here is the link if anyone is interested.Test coin

-Dan >>

Magnetic?
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    I will have to check that out with a magnet. However, I had it scanned for the metal composition and it came back 100% nickel. -Dan
  • Options
    keyman64keyman64 Posts: 15,456 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cool, I like it!
    "If it's not fun, it's not worth it." - KeyMan64
    Looking for Top Pop Mercury Dime Varieties & High Grade Mercury Dime Toners. :smile:
  • Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,562 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I will have to check that out with a magnet. However, I had it scanned for the metal composition and it came back 100% nickel. -Dan >>

The more tests the better, and magnetic is a simple one.

Specific gravity is also interesting, but since copper and nickel have virtually identical s.g. it is not conclusive.
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    There are several coin inventory programs available, however, if you want multiple unique features, best to design your own on Excel. Cheers, RickO

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file