Home U.S. Coin Forum

1914 Buffalo Nickel Grade?

Grade opinions? Edited out first set of photos. They were bad.

Image set 2. These are better if you ask me.

Comments

• nwcoastnwcoast Posts: 2,826 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm going to take a stab at it and say 63-64...
    I'm an admitted novice though so don't be offended if I'm off a bit.

Happy, humble, honored and proud recipient of the “You Suck” award 10/22/2014

• Image set 2. These are better if you ask me.

• ponderitponderit Posts: 1,543 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Looks 64 to me.
    Successful BST transactions with Rob41281, crazyhounddog, Commoncents, CarlWohlford, blu62vette, Manofcoins, Monstarcoins, coinlietenant, iconbuster, RWW,Nolawyer, NewParadigm, Flatwoods, papabear, Yellowkid, Ankur, Pccoins, tlake22, drddm, Connecticoin, Cladiator, lkeigwin, pursuitofliberty
  • capecape Posts: 1,621
    64 only because of the carbon..... otherwise an easy 65
    ed rodrigues
  • rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wow.. a lock 65 if not for the three spots... dang nice Buff... Cheers, RickO
  • commoncents05commoncents05 Posts: 10,077 ✭✭✭
    63. Acetone might help with the spots.

-Paul
    Many Quality coins for sale at http://www.CommonCentsRareCoins.com
  • keyman64keyman64 Posts: 15,452 ✭✭✭✭✭
    "If it's not fun, it's not worth it." - KeyMan64
    Looking for Top Pop Mercury Dime Varieties & High Grade Mercury Dime Toners. :smile:
  • icsoccericsoccer Posts: 1,339 ✭✭✭
    Genuine cleaned
    au55 details
    Successful BST transactions to date: Coindeuce, Cohodk, dantheman984, STONE, LeeG, jy8s, jkal, SeaEagleCoins, Hyperion, silverman68,Meltdown,RichieURich,savoyspecial,Barndog

• << <i>Genuine cleaned
    au55 details >>

Please sell me all your AU 55 coins that look like this. I will Pay MS60 bid all day long for them. In other words I am saying this coin is not even close to AU 55 or cleaned.
  • MoldnutMoldnut Posts: 3,082 ✭✭✭✭
    64 IMO for the reasons mentioned by cape
    Derek

EAC 6024

• << <i>Genuine cleaned
    au55 details >>

There is no way to tell from that picture that the coin is cleaned ! Come on!
  • sawyerjoshsawyerjosh Posts: 403 ✭✭✭
    As a seller: USARarities, acloco, coindudeonebay, Twinturbo, MICHAELDIXON, blu62vette, mothra454, LukeMarshall, USARarities
    As a buyer: QualityCurrencycom, tychojoe, AurumMiner, Collectorcoins, perfectstrike, ModCrewman, LeeBone, nickel, REALGATOR, MICHAELDIXON, pointfivezero, Walkerguy21D
    Trades: georgiacop50

• << <i>63. Acetone might help with the spots.

-Paul >>

Hmm Maybe I should try it. Lets see what happens.
  • ShamikaShamika Posts: 18,759 ✭✭✭✭
    Without the spots this coin is an EASY 65, shot 66. With the spots, it's tough to say. Probably 64, but a beautiful piece none the less.

Buyer and seller of vintage coin boards!

• << <i>Without the spots this coin is an EASY 65, shot 66. With the spots, it's tough to say. Probably 64, but a beautiful piece none the less. >>

• BUFFNIXXBUFFNIXX Posts: 2,700 ✭✭✭✭✭
    sixty-four because of the spots. A gem coin -- a 65 -- cannot have that many spots. Next question to ask yourself is how far down the grade-chain below gem 65 this puppy should go and since the overall quality of the piece is so nice sans the spots and also since the group of spots taken together is not a killer it gets a sixty four.
    Collector of Buffalo Nickels and other 20th century United States Coinage
    a.k.a "The BUFFINATOR"
  • coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,721 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wow- neat example- not sure about the grade based on the image- a definite MS example

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• ShamikaShamika Posts: 18,759 ✭✭✭✭
    So, what was the grade???
    Buyer and seller of vintage coin boards!
  • I'm with the majority here - 64 because of the spots but otherwise has the look of a 65, maybe even higher. take away those spots and the reverse is gorgeous! Very nice buff!
  • 64 or 64+, since there appear to be very few contact marks, and the luster (judging from the pics) looks to be all there!
  • If anyone has spoken to Bruceswar there is a member who sent him coins for some pics and Bruce disappeared on him. Some time ago. He seems to have fallen off the earth???

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file