Home Precious Metals
Options

What happened to the 144 Tons of Libyan Gold

I remember that Libya had a reported 144 tons of gold. I don't know where it was stored but I was wondering if anyone has any articles that actually reference what happened to it.

It's not hard to surmise that the International banking thieves got it somehow but it would be interesting to see if there is any documented trails.

Comments

• Options
    BarndogBarndog Posts: 20,458 ✭✭✭✭✭
    perhaps the Libyan government was not truthful in reporting its holdings. Governments have been known to be less than honest image
  • Options
    MeltdownMeltdown Posts: 8,667 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>perhaps the Libyan government was not truthful in reporting its holdings. Governments have been known to be less than honest image >>

I don't doubt that (**cough, Fort Knox, ahem**)

I'm sure there was some stockpile and probably a fair amount... I wonder where it went?
  • Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,214 ✭✭✭✭✭

Give Me Liberty or Give Me Debt

• Options
    Timbuk3Timbuk3 Posts: 11,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm keeping it a secret, but I have it !!!
    Timbuk3
  • Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,564 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I gotta guy in Nigeria that can ship it to you, but he needs a little something up front for the packaging.......
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Had two of those emails (Nigeria/Libya) wanting to get cash and gold out of the country... I have no idea why anyone would fall for these, however, they do, and some have died. Others have lost a lot of their personal funds. The scams are widely known, but still collect their suckers. Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    DrBusterDrBuster Posts: 5,308 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Duh, hookers and blow. Gotta finance that sacha cowen movie The Dictator to prep for 12/12/12.
  • Options
    Email shows that Oil and Gold were behind regime change in Libya

"This gold was accumulated prior to the current rebellion and was intended to be used to establish a pan-African currency based on the Libyan golden Dinar. This plan was designed to provide the Francophone African Countries with an alternative to the French. franc (CFA).

(Source Comment [This is in the original declassified email, and is not a comment added by us]: According to knowledgeable individuals this quantity of gold and silver is valued at more than $7 billion. French intelligence officers discovered this plan shortly after the current rebellion began, and this was one of the factors that influenced President Nicolas Sarkozy’s decision to commit France to the attack on Libya."

Appears that a threat to a Western currency is in fact good cause to overthrow a nation. The $6 billion in Libyan gold has never been publicly accounted for and was surprisingly never mentioned in congressional questioning on the Benghazi episode where it may very well have played a crucial role.

• Options
    Coin FinderCoin Finder Posts: 6,954 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My guess is that the gold is still there and be used to fund terrorist activities, I have no proof though. Just a guess. Are the Dinars collectible?
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Interesting.... no evidence of a Benghazi tie in to the missing Libyan gold (missing maybe,

stolen likely)....however, it could have helped cover the movement out of country.... Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    cohodkcohodk Posts: 18,621 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What western currency would be threatened by $6 billion worth of gold?

For reference, there are over 800 publicly traded companies that have a market value greater than $6 billion.
    Excuses are tools of the ignorant

Knowledge is the enemy of fear

• Options
    Originally posted by: cohodk
    What western currency would be threatened by $6 billion worth of gold?

For reference, there are over 800 publicly traded companies that have a market value greater than $6 billion.

Like the petrodollar the petrofranc was under threat of being unseated as a medium of oil commerce. The threat was much greater than the value of the gold. The gold was only a means to begin breaking ties with the franc. One will find that Iraq suffered the same fate for the same reason. Not only is war in the Middle East about oil, it is also about how oil will be paid for.

• Options
    War in the M.E. is not about oil and the people that live in the desert would rather have food of which the US and Canada produce with great abundance.

Petrofranc.....lol

• Options
    bluelobsterbluelobster Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: DrBuster
    Duh, hookers and blow. Gotta finance that sacha cowen movie The Dictator to prep for 12/12/12.

• Options
    War in the M.E. is not about oil

what planet are you from?

• Options
    Originally posted by: derryb

Again you demonstrate ignorance of history. Thumbs up!!

• Options

Again you demonstrate ignorance of reality.

• Options

Yup, a blind man sees nothing but hears everything. Perhaps when you are done flattering me you could read a little about the Ottoman Empire.

• Options

Yup, a blind man sees nothing but hears everything. Perhaps when you are done flattering me you could read a little about the Ottoman Empire.

This is not your father's history.

Your economic comprehension would be better served with a good understanding of what destroyed the Roman empire.

• Options

This is not your father's history.

Your economic comprehension would be better served with a good understanding of what destroyed the Roman empire.

So it's my great great great great grandfather's history? Lol.

I'm still waiting to hear why OPECs decision to not cut production will result in a massive explosion to the upside in oil prices. Please entertain me with YOUR vast compreHenson of economics.

• Options
    jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,380 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Has anyone considered that Saudi may not have much production to cut, and that may be the reason that they've now decided to sell shares in Aramco? It's not like they've ever been our friends.
    Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    When I was a kid, I liked looking through the Redbook to imagine what it would be like to own a $5.00 or $2.50 gold piece but $20 or $30 was way beyond my means. I thought I had a real insider's understanding when I figured out that you could get more gold for the money by buying the larger denominations, but I never had the money.......

At about that same time, I always wondered why the only gold I knew about was in books, and nobody I knew ever owned any gold coins. It was common knowledge that Fort Knox had tons of gold, but nobody ever saw it. Nobody could really explain to me why gold wasn't used as money like it used to be and yet, if it wasn't money anymore why did governments even care about having it? Governments have always suppressed any interest that the public might have in gold, but yet they (allegedly) own it. They own it but are never accountable to the public for it.

What we do know is that wars get financed with gold when the paper isn't accepted. WWI was that way. WWII was financed with debt, but only the winning side gets to do that. Gold seems to be the currency of last resort for governments, and it only comes into play when the government is corrupt and/or totally financially irresponsible. Locate us on the map. We are "there".

Reagan did us all a favor. He drove a wedge into the wall of obfuscation. Thank-you, Mr. Reagan. If gold isn't money and doesn't affect the monetary system, why does any government sweat it when someone wants an accounting? Who's driving this bus, if not the politicians? Lots of unanswered questions about gold, unless you answer them yourself. If a representative of the people or a senator can't demand an accounting and get an accounting, he's obviously not calling the shots. That narrows it down to either the bankers or....................?

Who else?

'nuf said

I knew it would happen.
  • Options

I'm still waiting to hear why OPECs decision to not cut production will result in a massive explosion to the upside in oil prices. Please entertain me with YOUR vast compreHenson of economics.

Walmart economics 101: shut down your competition with low prices to gain market share, then control future prices. Shale producers were the first casualty. Unlike many of their competitors, the Saudi's can ride it out.

• Options
    Jmski,

Govts supress interest in gold? Come on. Certainly hasn't been very successful in this country.

Most wars are financed via land, not gold. The lines on maps are constantly being redrawn.

• Options

Walmart economics 101: shut down your competition with low prices to gain market share, then control future prices. Shale producers were the first casualty. Unlike many of their competitors, the Saudi's can ride it out.

It's no surprise your knowledge of economics is junk if you learned it at Walmart. You have a tendency to confuse populist thought with actual practice. You over and underestimate the players. You really think Saudi Arabia will "crush" it's competition then push oil to the moon? That's such an incredulous belief. You will be wrong agsin.

• Options

$10 oil?

"Energy minister Suhail bin Mohammed al-Mazroui said Opec's decision to maintain production and crowd out rivals was still bearing dividend, hinting that it would take another 18 months for prices to start picking up.

and in other news:

COMEX registered silver inventories plunge nearly 10% in one day

Looks like there really is no demand for the real stuff. image

• Options

$10 oil?

"Energy minister Suhail bin Mohammed al-Mazroui said Opec's decision to maintain production and crowd out rivals was still bearing dividend, hinting that it would take another 18 months for prices to start picking up.

and in other news:

COMEX registered silver inventories plunge nearly 10% in one day

Looks like there really is no demand for the real stuff. image

Don't know if I've ever met someone more out if context than you. Oil isn't going to 10. Lol. You are such a follower. Be a leader.

• Options
    Nah, no sense in trying to explain this to you. You are incapable. You do make me laugh though. This thead nreds a cartoon.

• Options
    Nah, no sense in trying to explain this to you. You are incapable. You do make me laugh though. This thead nreds a cartoon.

• Options
    There you go!!!

I'm still trying to learn to live a life of exaggeration. This helps.

• Options
    Govts supress interest in gold? Come on. Certainly hasn't been very successful in this country.

Most wars are financed via land, not gold. The lines on maps are constantly being redrawn.

Do you think that FDR's Confiscation Order stimulated interest in gold in the US? I can tell you for a fact that there was no real interest in gold in this country (except for coin collectors) until it was legalized across the board again.

Most wars are financed by land? Huh? Please explain that one with some kind of specificity. What wars were financed by land? How did most of the gold in Europe end up in the US after WWI? Much of the European war materiale' that the US provided was paid for by gold, as I've read more than one time.

You amaze me sometimes.image

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    I'm amazed you have never seen borders redrawn.

If you really want to he precise, wars are paid via blood.

• Options
    I'm amazed you have never seen borders redrawn. If you really want to he precise, wars are paid via blood.

Blood and land are but a few of the costs of war. The financial burden on those funding the effort, reallocation of resources and loss of productivity are other costs.

All those defense contractors are not going to provide the logistics without hard cash. When modern war is not about stealing resources such as oil or even gold, rest assured it is about making money. These are not your ancestors' wars where fighting was about freedom. In the US it should be illegal for anyone involved in the war decision process to be invested in entities that profit from those war decisions.

• Options
    You say that wars are financed by land. Explain the process. So, a country decides to go to war and sells some land in order to buy weapons, ammo and to pay the troops. Exactly how does that work? Financed by land, pfft.

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    What happened to the 144 Tons of Libyan Gold?

Ebay stole it and had the Perth Mint convert into EBAY bars image

• Options
    Originally posted by: jmski52
    You say that wars are financed by land. Explain the process. So, a country decides to go to war and sells some land in order to buy weapons, ammo and to pay the troops. Exactly how does that work? Financed by land, pfft.

The victor takes the land.

• Options

That's not finance. That's also after the fact. Your argument is full of as many holes as Swiss Cheese.image

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    Originally posted by: jmski52

That's not finance. That's also after the fact. Your argument is full of as many holes as Swiss Cheese.image

Like it or not, that's how wars are funded.

• Options
    I agree with everyone here, even those that are disagreeing with each other.