Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

1986 Walter Breen Video Interview....

BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭
Just ran across this 13 minute video interview of Walter Breen

In August of 1986 CoinWeek partner David Lisot conducted a series of interviews for the American Numismatic Association with many of the prominent numismatists of the day.

Walter Breen is considered on the most brilliant and enigmatic people in coin hobby. This video offers a rare and personal insight into one of the most interesting personalities in numismatics.

Run Time – 13:17
To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!

Comments

• Options
    What a brilliant and eccentric man, it's a shame his brilliance will always have a "ya but" attached to it. Much of the "moral" contingent of the hobby hasn't added as much.
  • Options
    An interesting person for sure, to bad he choose the path he did and ended up the way he did. Has anyone here on the boards here ever met him? I was at a large national show (don't remember which one) years ago and I remember seeing this guy with long white hair and a beard and a really colorful shirt on and at the time. I did not know of Walter Breen at least not very well, but later I always wondered if that was him.
  • Options
    FredWeinbergFredWeinberg Posts: 5,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Breen was known for his colorful
    'Tie Dye' T-shirts - right out of the 60's !

I met and talked with him numerous
    times at some of the larger coin shows
    and ANA's back in the 1970's.

He had a brilliant memory, very eccentric,
    and I think it was the early 80's when I
    found out about his predeliction (sp).

I remember at the ANA in Cincinnati in
    1980, seeing Breen in the pool area,
    around 10 at night, as I was returning
    from Dinner. He had about 4-5 young
    boys hanging around with him in the
    pool area...all in swimming trunks......

Creeps me out now, to think about it.
    Retired Collector & Dealer in Major Mint Error Coins & Currency since the 1960's.Co-Author of Whitman's "100 Greatest U.S. Mint Error Coins", and the Error Coin Encyclopedia, Vols., III & IV. Retired Authenticator for Major Mint Errors
    for PCGS. A 49+-Year PNG Member...A full numismatist since 1972, retired in 2022
  • Options
    Thanks Broadstruck,a very interesting view.
    USAF RET. 1963-1984

Successful BSTs with: Grote15, MadMarty, Segoja,cucamongacoin,metalsman.
  • Options
    guitarwesguitarwes Posts: 9,240 ✭✭✭
    Where's the red flag emoticon? Interesting comments on the Sheldon grading scale though.

Creeps me out in a Lee Harvey Oswald kind of way how he changed his demeanor halfway thru the interview (~6:35) when questioned on politics and such.
    @ Elite CNC Routing & Woodworks on Facebook. Check out my work.
    Too many positive BST transactions with too many members to list.
  • Options
    Coin FinderCoin Finder Posts: 6,954 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That was excellent!
  • Options
    Coin FinderCoin Finder Posts: 6,954 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well, it is interesting that the 1 to 70 Sheldon scale the one we now sweat over was not intended for any coins other than large cents at the time. PCGS has done the best job in my opinion on standardizing grading but we have a ways to go...
  • Options
    keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    he mentions "dissemination of knowledge" and i think he would be happy, overjoyed maybe, with what has taken place in the past decade-plus at this site.
  • Options
    <<An interesting person for sure, to bad he choose the path he did and ended up the way he did. Has anyone here on the boards here ever met him? I was at a large national show (don't remember which one) years ago and I remember seeing this guy with long white hair and a beard and a really colorful shirt on and at the time. I did not know of Walter Breen at least not very well, but later I always wondered if that was him. >>

I met him and talked with him at two conventions and corresponded with him at other times.
  • Options
    swhuckswhuck Posts: 546 ✭✭✭
    I lived in Berkeley during the latter half of the '80s, as had he for a number of years before that. I was a member of the Diablo Valley Numismatic Society (Walnut Creek/Concord) at the time, and we had him over to speak on two occasions; these were the best-attended meetings that that club ever had when I was a member. While I had certainly heard of him before the meetings, the first thing that crossed my mind as I saw him walk in the room was, "What a total Deadhead!" because of the tie-dyed wardrobe.

I think there are three people in the world who look/looked like him, and all of them lived in Berkeley. image
    Sincerely,

Stewart Huckaby
    mailto:stewarth@HA.com
    ------------------------------------------
    Heritage Auctions
    Heritage Auctions

2801 W. Airport Freeway

Dallas, Texas 75261

Phone: 1-800-US-COINS, x1355
    Heritage Auctions
  • Options
    secondrepublicsecondrepublic Posts: 2,619 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Creeps me out in a Lee Harvey Oswald kind of way how he changed his demeanor halfway thru the interview (~6:35) when questioned on politics and such. >>

Eek. What a creep. People always point out the "academic" work he did in numismatics as some sort of defense. Hasn't more recent research proven that Breen's work is riddled with errors and unsubstantiated claims? If that's the case, can we move beyond this disgusting individual?
    "Men who had never shown any ability to make or increase fortunes for themselves abounded in brilliant plans for creating and increasing wealth for the country at large." Fiat Money Inflation in France, Andrew Dickson White (1912)
  • Options
    mommam17mommam17 Posts: 971 ✭✭✭
    Did any one notice his eye movement? Seems odd to me.
  • Options
    DoubleEagle59DoubleEagle59 Posts: 8,200 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm disgusted everytime I hear his name.

Only watched the video for about 20 seconds. That was enough.
    "Gold is money, and nothing else" (JP Morgan, 1912)

"“Those who sacrifice liberty for security/safety deserve neither.“(Benjamin Franklin)

"I only golf on days that end in 'Y'" (DE59)
  • Options
    WoodenJeffersonWoodenJefferson Posts: 6,491 ✭✭✭✭
    "keep your malarkey filter in good operating order"
    Chat Board Lingo

"Keep your malarkey filter in good operating order" -Walter Breen
  • Options
    SaorAlbaSaorAlba Posts: 7,480 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i> Has anyone here on the boards here ever met him? >>

Yes, he was indeed a brilliant man - something of a numismatic savant. I had a long discussion with him at a coin show in the late 1980s about 18th century American history. Another time he came to a coin club meeting and gave a talk about early American numismatics. But not without running diatribes about organised religion etc, and I remember him as a bit of a foul individual - rather decidedly profane without any provocation.
    In memory of my kitty Seryozha 14.2.1996 ~ 13.9.2016 and Shadow 3.4.2015 - 16.4.21
  • Options
    SpoolySpooly Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I'm disgusted everytime I hear his name. >>

I have his book..... pisses me off every time I have to look something up. image
    Si vis pacem, para bellum

In God We Trust.... all others pay in Gold and Silver!
  • Options
    lkeigwinlkeigwin Posts: 16,887 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Breen was brilliant. A little screwed up like so many geniuses. Sadly, in the worst way. But he did a lot for this hobby we love.

Someone mentioned his eyes. They dart about. To me they weren't distracting. It was a little like those disk drive access lights from years ago.
    Lance.
  • Options

<< <i>Creeps me out in a Lee Harvey Oswald kind of way how he changed his demeanor halfway thru the interview (~6:35) when questioned on politics and such. >>

Holy Cr*p...I went back and saw the political exchange at about 6:35 (because the first time I only viewed the first 20 seconds). What a creep!!

You're right Guitarwes,.......... Lee Harvey Oswald, Jeffrey Dahmer and Adolf Hitler all rolled into one!! (edited to add: a psycho St. Nick).

"“Those who sacrifice liberty for security/safety deserve neither.“(Benjamin Franklin)

• Options
    goldengolden Posts: 9,067 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I saw him a number of times at the ANA and other large shows in the 70's and 80's but never actually met him. Talk about " Shifty eyes ".
  • Options
    kimber45ACPkimber45ACP Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭
    seemed a tad agitated when talking about bigotry and he's the one that brought it up.
  • Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭
    He was also the inventor of the PCGS shirt. MJ
    Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    dengadenga Posts: 903 ✭✭✭
    I knew Walter for many years and we spoke every few months at length on the phone. I also saw
    him from time to time at conventions.

His work is not, as one poster puts it, “riddled with errors and unsubstantiated claims.” It is actually
    quite good though there are of course some problem areas.

We are all well aware of his other life but that has nothing to do with whether or not his numismatic
    work is accurate.

• Options
    TURBOTURBO Posts: 494 ✭✭✭
    Why won't the site let me sign up so I can watch the other videos??????????
  • Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,485 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I knew Walter for many years and we spoke every few months at length on the phone. I also saw

His work is not, as one poster puts it, “riddled with errors and unsubstantiated claims.” It is actually

We are all well aware of his other life but that has nothing to do with whether or not his numismatic
    work is accurate. >>

Exactly. I wish some of you people could compartmentalize Breen’s life and look at the positive things he did for numismatics. When I was a young collector in the 1960s and ‘70s, I learned a great deal from his well written works which greatly enhanced my enjoyment of the hobby. I met Walter five or six times, mostly at the Early American Coppers conventions. His body of work during his era was some of the best we had and was written in a style that was never boring or tedious.

Was his personal life a mess? You bet, and his conduct with children was reprehensible. Most everybody on these boards knows that. So why do some of you feel the need to re-hash it every time his name is mentioned? It really serves no purpose.
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>I knew Walter for many years and we spoke every few months at length on the phone. I also saw

work is accurate. >>

Exactly. I wish some of you people could compartmentalize Breen’s life and look at the positive things he did for numismatics. When I was a young collector in the 1960s and ‘70s, I learned a great deal from his well written works which greatly enhanced my enjoyment of the hobby. I met Walter five or six times, mostly at the Early American Coppers conventions. His body of work during his era was some of the best we had and was written in a style that was never boring or tedious.

Was his personal life a mess? You bet, and his conduct with children was reprehensible. Most everybody on these boards knows that. So why do some of you feel the need to re-hash it every time his name is mentioned? It really serves no purpose. >>

I look at it the opposite way.

I couldn't care less about his numismatic accomplishments when I think about how many lives he ruined with his messed up personal life.

• Options
    thebeavthebeav Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My stomach is all knotted up after reading Fred's little story......
  • Options
    LanceNewmanOCCLanceNewmanOCC Posts: 19,999 ✭✭✭✭✭
    who is your mentor!!

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file