Home Sports Talk
Options

Why is it called football ?

They don't use their feet like the Europeans do when they play football.

What should it's proper name be ?

Tackle ?
Touchdown ?

And what would happen if they added a 5th down ?
They used to have only 3 downs before they added the 4th.

I would like 5 downs and 15 yards for a first down. That's an average of 3 yards per down, which I believe is the NFL average.

Comments

• Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,533 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hmmm .... If its not broke dont fix it image
  • Options
    I think it should be called Smear the Queer.
  • Options
    DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭

<< <i>They don't use their feet like the Europeans do when they play football. >>

It's a long read.
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • Options
    Thanks Doug. And yes Perkdog, I still like the name football, and would probably be disappointed if they ever even thought about changing it.

However, it really isn't "football". I think Gridiron would be a cooler name technically speaking, but traditionally speaking, I still like football.
  • Options
    BrickBrick Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I think it should be called Smear the Queer. >>

Shameful. This is the 21st century. Society has come a long way.
    It should be called smear the person with the alternative lifestyle.
    Collecting 1960 Topps Baseball in PSA 8
    http://www.unisquare.com/store/brick/

Ralph

• Options
    stownstown Posts: 11,321 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>They don't use their feet like the Europeans do when they play football. >>

It's a long read. >>

Umm..

<< <i>Though Gridiron in US is largely made up of people from poor areas as the NFL is predominantly contested by blacks from downtrodden parts, slums, ghettos, given scholarships to play. >>

Wow.
    So basically my kid won't be able to go to college, but at least I'll have a set where the three most expensive cards are of a player I despise ~ CDsNuts
  • Options
    markj111markj111 Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭
    What should it's proper name be ?

Football.
  • Options
    Love response from Brick.image
  • Options
    SanctionIISanctionII Posts: 11,732 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Smear the Q_____r was a very popular game in Elementary school in the 1960's. My classmates and I would play it quite often.

The rules are exceedingly simple. One ball. Multiple players. One player has the ball and thus is the Q_____r. All of the other players who did not have the ball would try to Smear the one who did. The player with the ball would run to avoid those who wanted to Smear him. Fast and agile usually helped out tremendously. Inevitably the player with the ball would get caught. When the player with the ball was caught the smearing began [to separate the ball from the player and to give it to another player]. Some players were extremely brave [aka "stupid"] and refused to give up the ball. They were smeared pretty good; and they viewed it as a sign of toughness to hold onto the ball as long as possible. Other players with the ball would not want to get smeared [not even a little bit]. Thus when they were a second or less from being caught they would toss the ball to someone else and thereby avoid getting smeared.

Whenever possession of the ball changed hands from one player to another, the player who gave up the ball was no longer the Q_____r. The player who received the ball became the new Q_____r.

There were of course some players who loved to chase the person with the ball and smear him; but they never took possession of the ball. NEVER. They would do anything to avoid touching the ball.

The chase and the smearing would then begin again anew.

A great game that revealed much about the character and psychology of each player who had the ball.

Again, it is a great game; though today the name of the game is completely inappropriate and not politically correct.

I bet it is still played on the playgrounds today.
  • Options
    stownstown Posts: 11,321 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I bet it is still played on the playgrounds today. >>

The name evolved to "Tackle the Man with the Ball" but was deemed sexist.

Then it became "Tackle the Person with the Ball" but was deemed to violent.

Then it became "Keep Away" but was deemed too exclusionary.

Then it became "Carefully Placing the Ball in the Next Person's Hands" and everyone got a participation trophy.
    So basically my kid won't be able to go to college, but at least I'll have a set where the three most expensive cards are of a player I despise ~ CDsNuts
  • Options

<< <i>Smear the Q_____r was a very popular game in Elementary school in the 1960's. My classmates and I would play it quite often.

The rules are exceedingly simple. One ball. Multiple players. One player has the ball and thus is the Q_____r. All of the other players who did not have the ball would try to Smear the one who did. The player with the ball would run to avoid those who wanted to Smear him. Fast and agile usually helped out tremendously. Inevitably the player with the ball would get caught. When the player with the ball was caught the smearing began [to separate the ball from the player and to give it to another player]. Some players were extremely brave [aka "stupid"] and refused to give up the ball. They were smeared pretty good; and they viewed it as a sign of toughness to hold onto the ball as long as possible. Other players with the ball would not want to get smeared [not even a little bit]. Thus when they were a second or less from being caught they would toss the ball to someone else and thereby avoid getting smeared.

Whenever possession of the ball changed hands from one player to another, the player who gave up the ball was no longer the Q_____r. The player who received the ball became the new Q_____r.

There were of course some players who loved to chase the person with the ball and smear him; but they never took possession of the ball. NEVER. They would do anything to avoid touching the ball.

The chase and the smearing would then begin again anew.

A great game that revealed much about the character and psychology of each player who had the ball.

Again, it is a great game; though today the name of the game is completely inappropriate and not politically correct.

I bet it is still played on the playgrounds today. >>

We played the game in the late 80's early 90's. Same name, same basic rules with 1 exception. The game would begin with the ball tossed into the air. The person to catch it would get tackled, and then he would stand up and throw it into the air for the next person to get smeared.

Looking back, you are dead nuts right when you claim it was a study in character and psychology.
  • Options
    SanctionIISanctionII Posts: 11,732 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I forgot to add a few other points about the players who played the game.

In addition to players who would never want to touch the ball, there were players who ALWAYS wanted the ball. They chased the guy with the ball not so much to Smear him but to take the ball away from him and then do his best to keep it, avoid getting caught by the other players and once caught refuse to give up the ball.

Further, players who ended up with the ball [and who did no immediately throw it to someone else (those were the guys who were constantly afraid of getting smeared by the other players and who never had a single thought of the joy/thrill of having the ball and trying to evade those who were chasing you)] kept the ball and while in possession of same:

1. had a look of absolute terror on their faces while being pursued, caught and smeared;

2. had a look of focus and determination on their faces while being pursued, caught and smeared;

3. had a look of joy on their faces while being pursued, caught and smeared;

4. were silent;

5. were screaming/yelling;

6. were talking smack/taunting those who pursued them; and/or

7. were laughing.
  • Options
    We played it in the mid seventies. We always called it "Slaughter"

"Hey who wants to play Slaughter?"

Our field revolved around a Maple tree that became known as the "Snot Tree" Everybody hacked gloubes of spit and snot on it. You DID NOT want to make contact with that tree! I remember it having blood hacked up on it as well.

The Yard "Field" also had a long strech of Spiney hedges. Many newer kids were plowed into those things never to return.

As for those that avoid the ball? If you got caught avoiding the ball it would, at some point be rammed into your gut and your punishment was dealt out. It usually involved being smashed into the Snot tree or a trip through the Spiney Bushes.

Man We loved that game as kids! Even the girls! My sister dealt out her fair share of pain on unsuspecting neibourhood boys.

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>I think it should be called Smear the Queer. >>

Shameful. This is the 21st century. Society has come a long way.
    It should be called smear the person with the alternative lifestyle. >>

Not that there's anything wrong with that.

Ron
    Collect for the love of the hobby, the beauty of the coins, and enjoy the ride.