Home Metal Detecting

Ive Taken The Plunge

Many years ago, before most of you were born, I owned a Bounty Hunter Metal detector and got the "Disease". Instead of lunch, a friend of mine and I would go to the National Guard HQ and work our detectors, finding buttons from the civil war and various other items. Most of the stuff was only an inch or two deep. I lost interest because my friend died and I was raising a family.

Well I've been reading this Forum as well as the Coin Forum for a few years now, and have decided to get back into metal detecting, as much for the exercise as anything.

I went a little overboard for me but decided if I was going to get back into this I might as well do it right. That is, without spending $5,000 +.

Just bought a White's Spectra V3i and a Garrett Pinpointer. I know it will take some time to understand all of the features and the intracacies of the V3i but after a lot of investigation I think that is the detector for me. I have been "Listening" here for your input and I appreciate all of it.

Comments

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You have selected two superb products and you will have years of enjoyment and success with them. Yes, takes a bit of a learning curve, but not much... the V3i is very user friendly. Good luck with your new equipment, the return to a great hobby... and, keep us posted on your finds. Also, ask questions as you go if you need help. There are several other great MD forums as well (very friendly and not obnoxious). Cheers, RickO
  • pcgs69pcgs69 Posts: 4,258 ✭✭✭✭
    Looking forward to your finds!

I own an E-trac, but I hear many good things of the V3i.
  • Thanks to all!

This is getting to be an expensive hobby... I received my detector yesterday afternoon and found out I probably need an extension to the lower rod because i'm over 6' tall. Since it will save my back, iordered it.

I've read all instructions twice and while I'm computer savy, I'm not an electrical engineer and don't understand all of the electrical terms such as gain, band etc. I'm sure with work and research I'll get it.

I'll be assemblying the bunit tonoght or tomorrow.... May take off this afternoon. Looking forward to using this but have no close locations in mind.
  • happy hunting old friend....
  • johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,409 ✭✭✭✭✭
    we need pics image
  • Its 14 degrees here today and windy. When it warms up abit I'll be trying it out and will take some pictures. I put the detector together but don't have the wireless earphones in sync yet. That will happen today.
  • pocketpiececommemspocketpiececommems Posts: 5,723 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I woundn't use the headset, at least to start with, and would put it on the simplest settings to start with.