Home Sports Talk
Options

Fellow Patriots fans, please take a moment to reflect

VitoCo1972VitoCo1972 Posts: 6,127 ✭✭✭
The backlash in the Boston media today has been absolutely ridiculous.

I love the Patriots and grew up 10 minutes from Foxboro Stadium. Please ask yourself this question...

Does anyone ever say, "what did Larry Bird ever do after 1986?" Of course not. He and Brady are both 3-2 in Finals/Championship Series.

Time heals.

Getting to the Super Bowl is VERY hard. This year alone (with the 31st ranked defense) they had to:

- find a way to beat the JETS (who owned them)

- managed to avoid a banged up PITT team (that had their number)

- caught every break against BAL (who may very well have been better)

all of that while:

- HOU may have been the best team (and lost their QB)

- IND was decimated by losing Manning before the season even started

- SD took a huge step backward

Getting to the Super Bowl 5 times in 11 years is pretty remarkable. They won 3 of them. We live in a media age where the last thing you did is dissected to the nth degree.

Losing always hurts worse than winning feels good. When you win you get to buy swag, watch parades and gloat for weeks and months but next season it starts all over again. Losing makes you question yourself, your life, your job, the national debt, why you took $100K in college loans, global climate change and who really killed President Kennedy. The losses stick with you forever while the wins are fleeting euphoria.

It hurts really bad but in time, we'll remember that Brady played in 5 SB's (T-MOST all time), won 3 of them (T3- all time) and is 3X better than any offensive player that ever played for the New England Patriots. Bill Belichick is a Top 4 coach all time. And they did this without ever having another Hall of Famer on offense in their prime.

It's pretty good to be a Pats/Boston fan. Better to have loved and lost. I wouldn't rather root for anyone else.

Comments

• Options
    BoopottsBoopotts Posts: 6,784 ✭✭
    Everyone in Boston, and the surrounding areas, can just STFU. ONLY three Super Bowl victories in the past 12 years? B-O-O H-O-O.

Get this: IF YOU LIVE IN BOSTON, YOU'RE NOT A VICTIM. You are, in all likelihood, a middle-to-upper class white guy whose children and grandchildren will go on to live fulfilling and privileged lives. The world has many, many problems, but most of those problems do not manifest in New England. So shut up, enjoy what you have, and quit pretending that just because your f*****ing Red Sox took 80 years to win a W.S. that you have any kind of right to feel victimized.
  • Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,533 ✭✭✭✭✭
    First off Boo why dont YOU STFU up and stop acting like you know what your talking about, where in the world did you ever come with this BS...

"IF YOU LIVE IN BOSTON, YOU'RE NOT A VICTIM. You are, in all likelihood, a middle-to-upper class white guy whose children and grandchildren will go on to live fulfilling and privileged lives." Huh??? You being a Cop know exactly what goes on in every godam city in the country, poor and run down neighberhoods filled with people who dont speak English and being White is the minority.

Secondly who the F is saying we are victimized? And where is is written that you cant be pissed off when your team loses to your arch nemisis? We are all aware of the Worlds problems and thats why we come here to bich and talk about sports, all the complaining we do here is based on SPORTS, sorry but thats what sports talk forums are for, if you dont like it then I suggest you open threads to your liking but if not hey its a free country so go ahead and post away yelling at people who complain about sports in Sports Forums. LMFAO
  • Options
    WTCGWTCG Posts: 8,940 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Everyone in Boston, and the surrounding areas, can just STFU. ONLY three Super Bowl victories in the past 12 years? B-O-O H-O-O.

Get this: IF YOU LIVE IN BOSTON, YOU'RE NOT A VICTIM. You are, in all likelihood, a middle-to-upper class white guy whose children and grandchildren will go on to live fulfilling and privileged lives. The world has many, many problems, but most of those problems do not manifest in New England. So shut up, enjoy what you have, and quit pretending that just because your f*****ing Red Sox took 80 years to win a W.S. that you have any kind of right to feel victimized. >>

As much as personally hate all Boston area teams, your statement is uncalled for.

If you want to talk about hot air consider your avatar, a sport and league 99.9% of Americans could care less about yet is the root of hooliganism, xenophobia and violence for all of Europe.
    Follow me on Twitter @wtcgroup
    Authorized dealer for PCGS, PCGS Currency, NGC, NCS, PMG, CAC. Member of the PNG, ANA. Member dealer of CoinPlex and CCE/FACTS as "CH5"
  • Options

<< <i>First off Boo why dont YOU STFU up and stop acting like you know what your talking about, where in the world did you ever come with this BS...

"IF YOU LIVE IN BOSTON, YOU'RE NOT A VICTIM. You are, in all likelihood, a middle-to-upper class white guy whose children and grandchildren will go on to live fulfilling and privileged lives." Huh??? You being a Cop know exactly what goes on in every godam city in the country, poor and run down neighberhoods filled with people who dont speak English and being White is the minority.

Secondly who the F is saying we are victimized? And where is is written that you cant be pissed off when your team loses to your arch nemisis? We are all aware of the Worlds problems and thats why we come here to bich and talk about sports, all the complaining we do here is based on SPORTS, sorry but thats what sports talk forums are for, if you dont like it then I suggest you open threads to your liking but if not hey its a free country so go ahead and post away yelling at people who complain about sports in Sports Forums. LMFAO >>

This is classic. Your 'arch-nemesis' ,as you call them, don't even play in your conference. In fact, I'll bet neither you nor any Pats fan could have named four of the five starting O-lineman on the Giants team before Sunday, so go ahead and can all this crap about the NY Giants being the team you see in your nightmares when you go to bed at night.

That having been said, I'm not saying you can't complain about the Pats losing the SB. That's perfectly OK, and I get that. And you're 100% right- this is sports forum, and it's this kind of discussion that sports forums were designed to host. But I draw the line at any talk about 'how this hurt so bad', or how Boston fans are 'walking around in a daze', or anything else that grossly exaggerated the feelings that the supporters of a team could possibly feel when said team basically goes to the SB every two years.

• Options
    VitoCo1972VitoCo1972 Posts: 6,127 ✭✭✭
    I don't see much reflection here. HA! Thank you internet for living up to my low expectations.
  • Options

<< <i>I don't see much reflection here. HA! Thank you internet for living up to my low expectations. >>

Just to be clear, I'm not talking about you (or your well reasoned OP) or, really, even Paul. I'm talking about the rest of the Boston-based pundits, like Bill Simmons, who are acting like their daughter just got sold into a sex ring. Here, for example, is the first line from Simmons' article today:

"Like every other New England Patriots fan, I spent the hours after Super Bowl XLVI trapped in some sort of catatonic trance."

Oh, please. You have maybe the best QB ever, probably the best coach ever, and you make bi-annual reservations for the big game. Oh- and your team has been relevant every season since 2001. In the past 12 years you have never, not once, gone through one of these 'darkness without sensation' seasons that have become de riguer for Bengals supporters, Browns fans, Lions fans, etc. You want to see a 'catatonic trance'? Look at a Vikings fan after Gary Anderson shanks the FG in the '99 NFC championship game. Or a Browns fan after the Byner fumble. THAT is sports pain. And there's now way an impartial observer could argue that the Pats loss last night is in any way comparable to these disasters.

• Options

<< <i>I don't see much reflection here. HA! Thank you internet for living up to my low expectations. >>

Vito, I read your post and agreed with your sentiments. Ofcourse reflecting on the past 10 years we have ALOT to be thankful for and I for one sure am, its very bittersweet being a Fan here in Boston you need to ride the wave of heart stopping victories and devestating losses as it comes with the territory, we have had our fair share of glory and heartache, and Im proud to say Im from the area and was born in Boston.

Looking back at some of the highs and lows of the past 10 years I see it about 50/50 good and bad, most outsiders have had enough of us and love to hate our teams which is fine, the bottom line is this loss was against New York and New York is our arch nemesis in sports! That honestly is why it hurts so much and the fact we couldnt get revenge for 2007 makes it that much worse, if it was against San Fran then the pain would not be near as much I think most people can agree.

BTW Boo, your correct I couldnt name the majority of the Giants OLineman, but let me ask you about that avatar you sport- can you name 1/4 of the players on the Arsenal?
  • Options

<< <i>

Just to be clear, I'm not talking about you (or your well reasoned OP) or, really, even Paul. I'm talking about the rest of the Boston-based pundits, like Bill Simmons, who are acting like their daughter just got sold into a sex ring. Here, for example, is the first line from Simmons' article today:

"Like every other New England Patriots fan, I spent the hours after Super Bowl XLVI trapped in some sort of catatonic trance."

Oh, please. You have maybe the best QB ever, probably the best coach ever, and you make bi-annual reservations for the big game. Oh- and your team has been relevant every season since 2001. In the past 12 years you have never, not once, gone through one of these 'darkness without sensation' seasons that have become de riguer for Bengals supporters, Browns fans, Lions fans, etc. You want to see a 'catatonic trance'? Look at a Vikings fan after Gary Anderson shanks the FG in the '99 NFC championship game. Or a Browns fan after the Byner fumble. THAT is sports pain. And there's now way an impartial observer could argue that the Pats loss last night is in any way comparable to these disasters. >>

Boo, your correct about this not being a disastrous loss due to some BS play or fumble/missed FG I will never say we lost unfairly, we got outplayed by a better Football team bottom line. Its the New York/Boston thing stinging us, or at least for myself. I have a passionate hatred for the Yankees and Giants period, its not a blind hatred either as I generally like Derek Jeter, Jorge Posada and Mariano Rivera. I do like Peyton Manning as well. Losing a Championship game to New York hurts and thats the root of all the complaining.
  • Options
    Bill Simmons is an awful writer to begin with. If your not from boston or NBA fan, his articles are worse than a root canal.
    Scoreboard Malfunction
  • Options
    swartz1swartz1 Posts: 4,911 ✭✭✭
    Wes Welker just needs to make that catch,

or Lee Evans...

however you want to look at it...

Looking for 1970 MLB Photostamps
    - uncut

Positive Transactions - tennesseebanker, Ahmanfan, Donruss, Colebear, CDsNuts, rbdjr1, Downtown1974, yankeeno7, drewsef, mnolan, mrbud60, msassin, RipublicaninMass, AkbarClone, rustywilly, lsutigers1973, julen23 and nam812, plus many others...
  • Options
    Seems almost every year, either new england or Pittsburgh is in the super bowl.
  • Options
    pitbosspitboss Posts: 8,643 ✭✭✭

One team has to win, one has to lose. I have been watching these sports teams in Boston for over 60 years and root for the Red Sox and

Patriots all the time . I love them and try not to miss a game as I have direct tv but when they lose you have to consider that they,in most

cases, have given their all and just move on to the next game or in this case the Red Sox. The Patriots will come back strong next year to try

again. Just consider yourself fortunate these teams are willing to come up with competitive teams.
  • Options
    BrickBrick Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭✭✭
    No more talk of Tebow for Romo. How about Tebow for Brady?
    Collecting 1960 Topps Baseball in PSA 8
    http://www.unisquare.com/store/brick/

Ralph

• Options
    pitbosspitboss Posts: 8,643 ✭✭✭

Naw, we will stick with Mr. Brady.
  • Options
    MCMLVToppsMCMLVTopps Posts: 4,618 ✭✭✭✭✭
    As a born and raised New Englander, I clearly understand the bitter rivalry between any NY team and any Boston team...primarily baseball, but football isn't very far behind. I've been around long enough to have watched Ted Williams and Mickey Mantle play in Fenway Park. I know disappointment. Sometimes the words used are not intended to be taken literally, and are perhaps used when emotions are at a peak. No Boston sports writer speaks for me or my feelings, but they get quoted by non-New England fans who are drooling to paint us as whackos and cry babies.

I support Paul and his statements above. Does Paul really want the entire coaching staff to hang themselves? Of course not...kinda like someone in a heated moment mentions killing someone...it's just a super venting over a very bitter loss. IMO, it was the Pats game to lose...maybe Manningham doesn't make the catch, different game? Who knows?

IMO, the SB could have gone either way, given terrific catches by the Giants and painful to watch dropped passes for the Patriots. A safety on the first play by Brady, 12 men on the field, a fumble we didn't recover, and Welker's non reception that he makes 99% of the time. Just wasn't to be for the Pats. I will admit to a few lound "SOBs" nearing the end of the game with an "oh S#@&amp;" mixed in during the game. A huge disappointment and letdown for sure.

Hey guys, it's only football...no need to be jamming up on the emotional side of those who post from the losing side. Show some class and let things go. I just returned from paying off a couple of $100 bets I made. The two guys were gracious and we shook hands, chattered for a few minutes and it's over. Let's just let it go and hope for better results in the future.

• Options
    Thanks Al, I was Drunk and pised off when I posted the other night, I apoligize to my Beloved Patriots.

Im still going to be pised off but w/e we lost to better Football team and there is no shame in that.
  • Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,535 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Personally, I think Bill made the right call letting the Giants score to get the ball back and at least have a shot at a last second TD...and if Gronk were a bit more agile than he was, he may have very well caught that hail mary...it was pretty close. had the Pats not lost that TO on the challenge, then they would have had more options on that last Giants drive.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

Oh, please. You have maybe the best QB ever, probably the best coach ever, and you make bi-annual reservations for the big game. Oh- and your team has been relevant every season since 2001. In the past 12 years you have never, not once, gone through one of these 'darkness without sensation' seasons that have become de riguer for Bengals supporters, Browns fans, Lions fans, etc. You want to see a 'catatonic trance'? Look at a Vikings fan after Gary Anderson shanks the FG in the '99 NFC championship game. Or a Browns fan after the Byner fumble. THAT is sports pain. And there's now way an impartial observer could argue that the Pats loss last night is in any way comparable to these disasters. >>

Boo, your correct about this not being a disastrous loss due to some BS play or fumble/missed FG I will never say we lost unfairly, we got outplayed by a better Football team bottom line. Its the New York/Boston thing stinging us, or at least for myself. I have a passionate hatred for the Yankees and Giants period, its not a blind hatred either as I generally like Derek Jeter, Jorge Posada and Mariano Rivera. I do like Peyton Manning as well. Losing a Championship game to New York hurts and thats the root of all the complaining. >>

See? That's a good, strong, well-reasoned post. I have no issue whatsoever with anything you've written here.

You have a fantastic team up in New England, and they've been great for many years. Enjoy that.