Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

This Weekend's Rips... Summer vacation ‘21 edition

Comments

• Options
    DtyDty Posts: 310 ✭✭
    There is something about cracking open a 1981 or 1986 Topps Football pack. I can remember buying 1986 packs for .35 a piece.

Nice looking cards!
    Link to my eBay Store: http://stores.ebay.com/halftimecardsandcollectibles/

Unopened Boxes, Packs, Cards, and Tickets

Just send me a PM or email me for discount off eBay pricing. Thanks
  • Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,384 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice looking Montana - are you going to sub it?
    Mike
  • Options
    PorkinsPorkins Posts: 605 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Nice looking Montana - are you going to sub it? >>

Definitely! Sadly it is the best looking Montana I've pulled, although I'm thinking 8ish.

And Dty, I completely agree, I have always considered myself primarily a baseball card collector, but for some reason I always find myself ripping 81 84 and 86 football packs (86 is my favorite as it's the first football packs I remember buying as a kid.

Thanks for all kind words guys and for checking in!

Just finished ripping remainder of packs I didn't finish last night. Here's 80 hockey:

Did fine here with 2 of the 2nd year Gretzky's and 2 of the Bourque rookies, although none in great shape.

• Options
    Ok guys here's 84. Got 1 of the big boys but, like a lot of the Elways I've pulled, it seems like the card (and especially the right border) is cut larger than it should be. No expert here, not sure if I'm saying that correctly?

• Options
    86 came out a little strangely... 40 packs, 680 total cards from a set of 396....

Bad news: 0 Bruce Smith's, 0 Jerry Rice's!!!!!!!!!!

Good news: At least 1 of the White's is submittable, and 1 of the Young's looks really good!!!!

Thanks for following along guys!
    -Scott
  • Options
    ldfergldferg Posts: 6,739 ✭✭✭
    Nice hit on those Young's. Sorry to hear about the Rice's.

Keep posting.

Thanks,

David (LD_Ferg)

1985 Topps Football (starting in psa 8) - #9 - started 05/21/06
  • Options

<< <i>Loving all the football rips. Looks like you got quite a few submittable HOFers. Loving the 82 in paticular. Was the first set I collected as a kid. Good luck on all the grades. LMK if you want to move the Singletary. Need a 9 or better for my HOF RC set. >>

Thanks! Will let you know if the Singletary turns out!
  • Options
    Those Young's look pretty well centered. If I understand correctly, his card is hard to pull a nicely centered version of it?
  • Options
    The Young is a TOUGH 9

nice!
    Big Fan of: HOF Post War RC, Graded RCs
    WTB: PSA 1 - PSA 3 Centered, High Eye Appeal 1950's Mantle
  • Options
    Al right fellas... Here's the one I picked up from the previously discussed 79's Steve had. I don't expect much, but as I've never opened a vending from '79 but have from all years around it, I felt the need to check it off my list.

• Options
    Looks great so far......good luck
  • Options
    The box looks good - good luck!

Looking forward to the pics.

My prediction? 2 Oz's and 1 Ryan, 1 Murray
    Mike
  • Options
    Thanks so much for the GL mojo guys! Having to kinda rush thru it as I unexpectedly have to run.
    Not much at all so far...

• Options
    Wow fellas. This part I expected to say from the combo of vending and this issue: with a cursory view, I don't see many graders at all.

But the complete lack of semistar/star power was not expected...

The sequencing of the box could have resulted in a home run as I got a pile of triples.

But seriously.... No Nolan, no George, no Mike, no Pete, no Eddie, no Paul, no Reggie....

Of course there is a notable exclusion in the above... But how anti-climactic. I plan on going thru later looking for any to send off, and will post if I find any, but I think it's pretty hopeless. Was a barrel of fun nonetheless!!

And yes I seriously think the only other notable player not pictured was a Sutton!!!!

And the ugly but at least present:

Thanks again for the well wishes, and for following along.
  • Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,585 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That's a tough box right there, similar to the first one someone cracked here. Sorry it didn't yield better results.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options

<< <i>Just saw some vending boxes on ebay sold for a little over $200 each ... perhaps we'll see another rip here on CU sometime soon! >>

Don't be a tease.

Love, Noah
  • Options
    Well it's been quite a while since I posted some rips and I thought this one was postable.

Despite my observation that this year's racks seem to (more often than not) yield O/C results, my brother a buddy and I split a BBCE '84 Topps football rack box from a sealed case last night/this afternoon with high hopes...

Pardon the foot.

• Options
    Of the 3 of us, I was the one most interested in having a Marino/Elway showing rack so we had a lot of fun putting together scenarios and trades that if we did get lucky enough to land one, it would land on me.

We sweated out each card showing front and back, and took our time with each rack.

Teaser... There were two major HOF rookies on top...
  • Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,585 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Good luck!!

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    MantleFan23MantleFan23 Posts: 690 ✭✭✭✭
    Awesome! Cant wait to see results! That is going to be a fun rip!
  • Options
    Thanks a lot Tim!

Yeah, you could probably sense a letdown coming...

Other than a Payton IA on back and a Rickey Jackson on front (no pics) these were the only highlights showing, and neither was enough to spare the rack from being obliterated.

Sorry for bad pics.

The Dickerson was cool, but alas, no dice for me....
  • Options
    aconteaconte Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭
    Good luck!

aconte
  • Options
    By the way, my brother and I are ripping vets but we have just gotten our buddy back into the hobby in the last year. This was his first major purchase so we wanted him to get at least one example of the major stars/rookies, whether we had to give/trade him our dupes, or he pulled them himself.

24 racks x 54 cards per rack =1296 cards

1296/396 card set= an average of 3.27 of each card in the set.

So we figured with any bit of luck from the collation gods ALL 3 of us could have an example of each card. Best laid plans, huh?

Here's how it shook out:
  • Options
    As you can see, O/C was a big problem at times but we were hellbent...

• Options
    Thanks aconte!

• Options
    Our first example of not getting at least 3 copies (I got the short end here)...

• Options
    Some star power...

• Options
    We got 5 out of the 6 of these in the top half of the box I believe, and were wishing for some variance. In fact, after half of the box we took a break, and at that point had 1 Elway and 0 regular Marino's!

Needless to say I was a wreck cause it was my idea to get this box...

• Options
    Again I was the one left out here with Eric.

• Options
    Like I said, we were a bit nervous when we started on racks 13-15, and had even resigned ourselves to being satisfied if each of us could end up with just one of the big 2...

But thankfully, 5 out of the next 12 held big boys...

While we had some O/C issues it was a big mission accomplished as we all had a blast and each got 2 of the big prizes.

The only bad thing for anyone was that my brother didn't get the thrill of personally pulling any of them... I pulled 4! and my buddy pulled the other 2.
    But he got over it as both my buddy and I gave him a Marino (And when I gave my buddy an Elway he and I ended up with 1 of each of them).

Anyway, viva la rippage and thanks for the well wishes and following along!

Scott

• Options
    Thanx Scott - very entertaining.

Sorry about the centering issues - but I guess that's the way it goes in the "rip" business?

The only thing missing was "Rachael the Rip Girl"

Mike
  • Options
    Thanks Mike! And it sure is the way it goes!

And yeah I forgot to mention it but Rachael was in fact there image
  • Options
    ssollarsssollars Posts: 932 ✭✭✭✭
    Tough centering on that box, but two of those Marinos like pretty nice!

Thanks for pics...

Scott
  • Options
    edited December 23, 2017 7:15PM

Hey fellas,

Been a long time since I posted one of my rips, and that’s because of a few things: First, I got kinda lazy and just didn’t post when I’d open stuff. Then it was because prices skyrocketed on unopened (I often wonder if I will ever open another single pack from my favorite issue, 86 Topps Football. Not because I can’t scrounge up 60 bucks for a single pack, but because I find it nigh impossible to justify paying 5-6 times what I was paying just a few years ago). Finally, my busting slowed down because I just wasn’t buying as many cards as I had been (life changes-first kid born etc). It’s not that I left the hobby, it just that I don’t really have the time that I once had.

Well, anyway, this year I’ve been anxiously awaiting the holidays knowing I was gonna be returning to my ripping ways. I’ve got some assorted boxes/packs, and the schedule I’ve made to open them is mostly based on the significant other’s plans for us for our holiday vacation.

Anyway, I hope you guys will follow along, although I hope you’ll forgive me for using phone pics. Also, I can’t promise the results will be posted early in the evening, as I’ll be taking my time and enjoying a few beverages as I go. You’ll probably notice that there’s nothing too impressive on the chopping block, as a chunk of my disposable income has been disposed of. Without further ado, the upcoming schedule:

Dec 23
    ‘85 Topps Baseball vending box

Dec 26
    Lot of 12 ‘83 Donruss wax pack racks

Dec 30
    Assorted packs including:
    2 x 85 donruss bball racks
    3 x 84 Fleer bball cellos
    3 x 88 Topps Hockey packs
    3 x 98 UD fball packs
    2 x 83 topps bball racks
    3 x 87 Topps Hockey packs
    7 x 83 topps fball packs
    2 x 89 score fball packs

Jan 1
    Assorted packs including:
    2 x 85 donruss bball racks
    1 x 89 Fleer bkball rack
    2 x 82 topps bball racks
    3 x 84 Topps Hockey packs
    1 x 82 topps fball rack
    3 x 84 donruss bball packs
    1 x 83 topps fball rack
    2 x 89 score fball packs
    3 x 79 Topps Hockey packs
    1 x 86 Topps Hockey pack

So wish me luck, and see ya soon!

Scott

• Options
    initialDinitialD Posts: 1,624 ✭✭✭

Good luck!! Looking forward to the nice selection
    I hope the 85 baseball vending box is not "FASC 7/16" ;)

• Options

Alright guys, about to dig into this, will post updates at roughly quarters through the box.

• Options

1/4 of the way through and a lot of fun, but nothing worth subbing IMO

• Options

trending downward

• Options

Still looking for one of the big 3 rooks, running out of cards.

• Options

Well, I got one, so no complaining.

But I will say I have opened a fair amount of '85 vending, and I've certainly gotten my share of Kirby only boxes (of the big 3).

• Options
    SumoMenkoManSumoMenkoMan Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭

Good stuff. Looking forward to seeing the rest!!

• Options
    BigMike79BigMike79 Posts: 34 ✭✭✭

After a long Christmas eve day with the family, i just got 10 minutes to myself and i really enjoyed going thru this thread on its 5 year old anniversary. Hope you do well with the next rips Porkins. Merry Christmas everyone.

• Options
    KendallCatKendallCat Posts: 2,991 ✭✭✭✭✭

Some items we will rip tomorrow am - wife joins in on the fun as well.

KC

• Options

Thanks for checking in guys.

KendallCat, that is awesome, I only wish I could get my wife involved!

• Options

About to get going on the '83 Donruss wax racks

• Options

First pack of first rack... may be all downhill from here

• Options
    KendallCatKendallCat Posts: 2,991 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Porkins said:
    First pack of first rack... may be all downhill from here

Wow! Talk about not pacing yourself. Nice pulls.

KC

• Options

Through 3, the Boggs and Sandberg from above and these. Lots of doubles, wouldn't have been hard to hit another of the big ones.

• Options

Next 3. I figure anything after this with the big 3 is gravy.

• Options

Lots of fun had here, 3 more remaining.