Home Precious Metals
Options

Conversion: aluminum scrap

WeissWeiss Posts: 9,935 ✭✭✭✭✭
You may recall that I bought and rehabbed a turn of the century hotel last year. We recycled tons of materials in the process. Some of the last things to go were the old aluminium storm windows. Like so many other things, the contractors set them aside for recycling. But for some reason nobody ever took them to the scrap yard. We got our certificate of occupancy in October, and the building was essentially complete then. But there in the corner was that stack of frames.

I had some time yesterday morning so I thought I'd get rid of that mess and maybe get some cash, too. I've never recycled materials myself before so I wasn't sure what to expect. Join me on my journey! image

Here are most of the frames.

No way some of the bigger, wider ones would fit in my Outback. So I broke them all down individually. All told took maybe 20 minutes.

Here's the scrap stacked in my car. There were a few dryer vents and a bundle or two of wire. I knew that wouldn't amount to much, but since I was going to the scrap yard anyway...

The scrap yard is just a couple of blocks from the building. No other customers there this early, so I backed right up to their buying center and offloaded all of the scrap onto an industrial scale. The workers helped separate out some of the material and tested it to see its composition. When I finished, they printed out a receipt:

Next step, take the receipt to their cashier's window. I wasn't sure what to expect, but I wasn't disappointed with the results:

And then it was just another couple of blocks to my dealer. Told him my story and asked him what he'd give me for the cash. This is what he assembled:

So there you go. Start to finish about an hour. Got a little more of the commercial space in my building cleared out, kept some material out of the landfill, and got a free 2012 eagle, a '36 mercury dime, and a '43 war nickel for my trouble.
We are like children who look at print and see a serpent in the last letter but one, and a sword in the last.
--Severian the Lame

Comments

• Options
    mhammermanmhammerman Posts: 3,769 ✭✭✭
    Life is good.
  • Options
    secondrepublicsecondrepublic Posts: 2,619 ✭✭✭
    nice "trade"! I think you did well.
    "Men who had never shown any ability to make or increase fortunes for themselves abounded in brilliant plans for creating and increasing wealth for the country at large." Fiat Money Inflation in France, Andrew Dickson White (1912)
  • Options
    BarndogBarndog Posts: 20,458 ✭✭✭✭✭
    cool recycling story.
  • Options
    guitarwesguitarwes Posts: 9,240 ✭✭✭

Shame on you for having aluminum that was sheet dirty. image
    @ Elite CNC Routing & Woodworks on Facebook. Check out my work.
    Too many positive BST transactions with too many members to list.
  • Options
    DrBusterDrBuster Posts: 5,305 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice!

My FIL is retired. He drives his truck around and scraps like that. Not a bad way to keep his truck full of gas, pick up some drinks/food on the free, and get away from the wife.
  • Options
    tydyetydye Posts: 3,894 ✭✭✭
    Nice little haul. I would of saved the wire though - looks like enough for a small project. That stuff is expensive to purchase.
  • Options
    bestmrbestmr Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭
    I do the same thing. I work at a toyota dealership and every month I go through the warrenty stuff that has been paid and can be thrown away. Most of it is junk but every now and then I get parts made of aluminum. I just save enough to warrent a trip to the recycling center. I don't get rich but a little extra money never hurts.
    Positive dealing with oilstates2003, rkfish, Scrapman1077, Weather11am, Guitarwes, Twosides2acoin, Hendrixkat, Sevensteps, CarlWohlforth, DLBack, zug, wildjag, tetradrachm, tydye, NotSure, AgBlox, Seemyauction, Stopmotion, Zubie, Fivecents, Musky1011, Bstat1020, Gsa1fan several times, and Mkman123 LOTS of times
  • Options

<< <i>Shame on you for having aluminum that was sheet dirty. image >>

Right? image Steel screws in most of the frames meant that the metal was mixed composition or "dirty". I could have used tin snips to cut out the screws, and the resulting "clean" aluminum would have generated more money. Like I said, this was the first time I did it. Also, my time is actually pretty valuable. Spending an hour snipping out nails with tin snips would have essentially made this exercise a wash.

But it's good to know for future reference.
    We are like children who look at print and see a serpent in the last letter but one, and a sword in the last.
    --Severian the Lame
  • Options

Leaving money on the table. Cleaning it, you could have probably squeeze out a little more for at least another half of a War Nickel. Sheesh. image
  • Options
    57loaded57loaded Posts: 4,967 ✭✭✭
    my grandmother used to recycle her aluminum foil. she'd clean and reuse many times. had a drawer full of different sizes.

that was the time when coffee cans were full of 90% in the basement
  • Options

<< <i>Steel screws in most of the frames meant that the metal was mixed composition or "dirty". I could have used tin snips to cut out the screws, and the resulting "clean" aluminum would have generated more money. Like I said, this was the first time I did it. Also, my time is actually pretty valuable. Spending an hour snipping out nails with tin snips would have essentially made this exercise a wash. >>

I'm proud to admit that I have been scraping for about five years now and have cashed in enough free metal to equal the price that my truck cost back in 1995 when it was new image. Over the last year or two though I stopped going on 'metal runs' as competition is fierce and I refuse to drive around for an hour or two to only make $10 or $20. It used to be that circling the neighborhoods closest to me on trash night would yield about $50 in tax free money for an hour to an hour and a half worth of work. That was worth it to me, but now I just grab it when I see it.

FWIW the price for dirty Al is typically less than half of what clean Al brings so it's always worth cleaning if you have a reciprocating saw. My dewalt can buzz through a stack a frames like that in minutes as a good metal blade will go through extruded Al like butter image. Time is definitely money though and it took me a little while to figure out the quickest way to break stuff down in a matter that made it worth it. These days I seldom break scrap down all the way as prices have receded a bit and I simply don't find as much now.

I know this may sound crazy, but on some level scraping is no different than roll mining. Some guys will spend all kinds of time searching $500 boxes of halves for silver and varieties when I used to spend time looking for metal to cash in so I could just buy silver. I could ramble on all day about the subject but this is Weiss' thread so I'll shut-up now image.

Thanks for sharing Weiss image
  • Options
    GTOsterGTOster Posts: 860 ✭✭✭
    Good Day
    I as an old electrican have been saving and recycling my scrap copper for years
    And every time I got the money I bought Gold or Silver
    (So one Man's trash Is another Man's treasure) image
    Paul
  • Options
    Timbuk3Timbuk3 Posts: 11,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Now that's a story I love !!!
    Timbuk3
  • Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,536 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It pays to recycle.....some do it with metals, some with boats and toys and some with wives.

Good days for sure!

bobimage
    Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options
    Thanks, guys. I bet they took out at least a ton of copper and brass during the demo.

Incidentally, some befores and afters of the building

The day we bought it (09-23-10):

In the thick of internal demolition (November 2010)

After new framing, plumbing, electrical, HVAC, alarm, sprinkler (April 2011)

After insulation, drywall, flooring (June 2011)

Finished unit after hardwood, appliances, trim, cabinets (August 2011)

And the finished facade (October 2011)

--Severian the Lame
  • Options
    tydyetydye Posts: 3,894 ✭✭✭
    You do nice work Weiss
    And here I thought you were a slum lord - LOL
    Move to my town - I live in a large college town and everyone in the real estate biz here just does the minimum to rent out these places. Shoddy work
  • Options
    Thanks, tydye. It was one of the hardest years of my life, but it has given me an enormous sense of accomplishment.
    --Severian the Lame
  • Options
    Weather11amWeather11am Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭
    Great story! Thanks for sharing (and helping the environment!)
  • Options
    Are those apartments, condo's, loft or whatever or still a hotel?
  • Options

<< <i>Are those apartments, condo's, loft or whatever or still a hotel? >>

Apartments. Nine two-bedroom units, and 2300 sq ft of commercial space on the ground floor, too.

The apartments feature 10' ceilings, cat6 ethernet (2 jacks in each room), stainless appliances, washer & dryer (all energy star), fully furnished (leather), video intercom, etc. etc.

Leased them all before we completed demolition last year (through this August), rented them through August 2013 by the end of last October image

--Severian the Lame
  • Options
    Wow, nice place there brother, if I ever find myself relo-ed out there I would love to live there! Plus I could annoy you a bunch as 2013's worst tenant.
  • Options
    Thanks, guys! image
    --Severian the Lame
  • Options
    damn thats nice.
  • Options

I'm glad you blasted that ugly paint off the bricks and the concrete window headers and left them natural, looks MUCHO better. Some previous owner had a big brain fart when they decided to slaps some paint on it. Glad to hear that tenants are already in it for the next couple years, that helps. And to be on University Ave, I'm sure that doesn't hurt either! image

• Options

I always recycle aluminum. Aluminum is one of the most costly resources to dig up, transport and refine available products. It requires a huge amount of electricity used by the industry to produce a jiyu single aluminum can from ores. However, to recycle the cans to new ones, aircraft wings, window doors, or parts of the car, only a fraction of that energy is consumed.

• Options

What a timely revisit! This original post was from February of 2012, the finishing touches on a rehabilitation effort that began in 2010.

Fast forward to today, and I'm pleased to say that we sold this building a few months back. We turned this dilapidated hulk of a burned out building in the cornerstone of a newly revitalized neighborhood. Money from around the country and around the world has poured into this tiny corridor, resulting in massive blocks-long hundred-unit apartment complexes, new shops, commercial spaces, restaurants, etc. I'm told none of this would have happened without my leading the way.

The commercial tenants on the ground floor love their space and had dialogue'd several times in the past about buying the building. I eventually named a price that would take care of my family forever...and they accepted :D

Restoring this building was the highlight of my 25+ year career in real estate--one that will continue for many years, I hope, but at a pace that allows me to enjoy my life and my family. Being able to "semi-retire" in your mid -40s is a tremendous feeling.

But to keep this precious metal oriented: One of the many factors that convinced me to consider selling this jewel of a building was our state's budget crisis. We haven't had a budget for 2 years and counting. The governor and the powerful speaker of the house are fighting a war of attrition which has brought our state to the brink of bankruptcy. Unfortunately, you can't move a 3-story, 10,000 square foot building to another state. But you can sell it and move a portion of the proceeds into gold and silver. Self-determination is one of the reasons I've worked for myself for the last 20 years. And I bet it's one of the main reasons the people on this board "stack". I'm not about to let people I don't know and who I will likely never even meet make decisions that could destroy a lifetime of effort. Nope. I spread my wealth among many asset classes, where no one political or governmental body can make arbitrary decisions that will wipe me out.

--Severian the Lame
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Congratulations on the sale of the building.... Glad to hear it was a successful endeavor. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,686 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great thread! That building looks excellent. :)

• Options
    ShadyDaveShadyDave Posts: 2,186 ✭✭✭✭✭

But to keep this precious metal oriented: One of the many factors that convinced me to consider selling this jewel of a building was our state's budget crisis. We haven't had a budget for 2 years and counting. The governor and the powerful speaker of the house are fighting a war of attrition which has brought our state to the brink of bankruptcy.

Congrats semi-retiring in your 40's and selling your property...that's quite the accomplishment! Sounds like you may live in my soon to be bankrupt state, Connecticut!