Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

Have you heard what's going on across the street?

NGC has decided to ban PCGS graded coins from the World Coin Registry.

Here's a link to the thread in the World coin forum...

I don't think very many people are too happy about it. image

Comments

• Options
    OnlyGoldIsMoneyOnlyGoldIsMoney Posts: 3,296 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I heard about this on the World-Ancient Coin forum.

Since I don't collect World coins it is of slight interest.

If NGC stops allowing US coins to be listed in their registry its hardly any loss either. I don't have a mix of NGC and PCGS that need to be grouped together to score well on their registry.
  • Options
    NumisMeNumisMe Posts: 841 ✭✭

<< <i>If NGC stops allowing US coins to be listed in their registry its hardly any loss either. I don't have a mix of NGC and PCGS that need to be grouped together to score well on their registry. >>

Agreed, but won't this spur new activity in the PCGS Registry.? Imean, if forced to make a choice between getting your PCGS coins recertified by NGC, or getting your NGC coins recertified by PCGS, which way will the pendulum swing? I have a feeling it will be the later, and yhay will bring more to our side of the street, or, I could be wrong...image
  • Options
    OnlyGoldIsMoneyOnlyGoldIsMoney Posts: 3,296 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>If NGC stops allowing US coins to be listed in their registry its hardly any loss either. I don't have a mix of NGC and PCGS that need to be grouped together to score well on their registry. >>

Agreed, but won't this spur new activity in the PCGS Registry.? Imean, if forced to make a choice between getting your PCGS coins recertified by NGC, or getting your NGC coins recertified by PCGS, which way will the pendulum swing? I have a feeling it will be the later, and yhay will bring more to our side of the street, or, I could be wrong...image >>

I expect you would see US coins in NGC holders crossed over to PCGS plastic. The PCGS registry would benefit. The downside for collectors, apart from the cost of submission, is the chronic problem of NGC coins not crossing at the same grade.
  • Options

<< <i> is the chronic problem of NGC coins not crossing at the same grade. >>

Jaime image ~Proof Roosevelt Hoarder~ My Roosevelt Set
  • Options

<< <i>The downside for collectors, apart from the cost of submission, is the chronic problem of NGC coins not crossing at the same grade. >>

I wouldn't know a lot about that as I only have, I think, 2 NGC slabs, but some people are getting pretty luck as eveidenced by this:

Coinkid's CAC score...lots of NGC's got CAC'd and some Gold beans
  • Options
    DennisHDennisH Posts: 13,963 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Did NGC give a reason for the PCGS ban?
    When in doubt, don't.
  • Options

<< <i>Did NGC give a reason for the PCGS ban >>

Here's what they said:

<< <i>NGC World Coin Registry Announcement
    Posted on 1/17/2012

Effective January 31, the NGC Coin Registry for World coins will be NGC-exclusive.

The NGC Coin Registry is about to undergo what may be the most significant overhaul since it was started a decade ago. On January 31, the NGC Coin Registry for World coins will be NGC-exclusive, meaning that only NGC-graded coins will be eligible for inclusion. This change will result in a better experience for collectors with World coin Registry sets.

In the past few years NGC has become widely recognized as the leader in World coin grading, both in the United States and abroad. Collectors and dealers value NGC’s consistent and accurate grading, as well as the NGC Guarantee. NGC continues to expand globally and currently maintains a presence in China (Guangzhou and Hong Kong), Taiwan, South Korea, Singapore and Switzerland.

Most NGC World Registry Sets are already NGC-exclusive, so this change will affect relatively few users. Ultimately, it will allow us to create more accurate Registry Sets, streamline the process for adding coins to sets, and enhance the competition. All coins will continue to appear in your Collection Manager inventory. US Coin Registry Sets will be unaffected. We apologize for any inconvenience this change may cause. Thank you for your continued support of the NGC Coin Registry. >>

And here's a link to the original thread on the World and Ancient Coins forum.

• Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,769 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not that my thoughts mean anything, but it really was not the direction collectors anticipated nor that collectors deserve.

Unfortunately, I stand by my film analogies in the darkside thread on the subject

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    I think it is absurd they ever allowed PCGS graded coins in THEIR registry.
  • Options
    Given the choice between the NGC or PCGS registry, I like the PCGS system better. The software abilities and look are much better on this side of the street.
  • Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭
    NGC doesn't compare to PCGS in any respect. I really don't know why anyone would want to play the NGC registry anyway.
  • Options

<< <i>NGC doesn't compare to PCGS in any respect. I really don't know why anyone would want to play the NGC registry anyway. >>

but obviously, alot of people disagree. I think it is because it is easier, and cheaper, to get a coin of a higher grade in an NGC holder. JMHO

Cheers !
  • Options
    The biggest problem that I had was the way it was done. Perhaps is existing sets were grandfathered there might not have been so much animosity fostered.
    I have always collected PCGS , NGC and ANACS slabs, if the coin warranted my attention. To exclude PCGS and alienate so many people, I suppose, is something they factored in.
    Yes I did make the trip across the street.
  • Options
    orevilleoreville Posts: 11,780 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well maybe an all black NGC registry set?

Even an all HRH pre PCGS registry set?

Both would be really cool.
    A Collectors Universe poster since 1997!
  • Options
    Maybe in some issues there's no comparison. My SLQ registry set is strictly PCGS, I wouldn't touch an NGC coin. Dimes are a different matter. I have an NGC set (Mercury dimes, full set #6, Arcs-en-ciel). Maybe 80% PCGS, but I've seen (and have) some NGC dimes of which I've found no PCGS peers. I don't like to "cross" coins, since there's childish jealousy both ways, and they beat up on a coin when you try it. I had a 30S (a brutally tough date) in 64FB NGC, sent it to PCGS and got a DNC back. There was literally no doubt that it was AT LEAST a 4FB, so I cracked it out and resent it to PCGS and got a 65FB. Same thing with a '44. In an NGC 66FB holder. DNC, cracked it out, and got a 67FB from PCGS. Went the other way too a '21 in a PCGS 63 holder DNC at NGC, popped it out and got a 64. As far as NGC banning PCGS from World sets, why not? They couldn't do it with U.S. coins, because in many series (Mercury dimes, for example), there just aren't enough NGC coins to go around and they's have virtually no registry sets.
  • Options
    giorgio11giorgio11 Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Maybe in some issues there's no comparison. My SLQ registry set is strictly PCGS, I wouldn't touch an NGC coin. Dimes are a different matter. I have an NGC set (Mercury dimes, full set #6, Arcs-en-ciel). Maybe 80% PCGS, but I've seen (and have) some NGC dimes of which I've found no PCGS peers. I don't like to "cross" coins, since there's childish jealousy both ways, and they beat up on a coin when you try it. I had a 30S (a brutally tough date) in 64FB NGC, sent it to PCGS and got a DNC back. There was literally no doubt that it was AT LEAST a 4FB, so I cracked it out and resent it to PCGS and got a 65FB. Same thing with a '44. In an NGC 66FB holder. DNC, cracked it out, and got a 67FB from PCGS. Went the other way too a '21 in a PCGS 63 holder DNC at NGC, popped it out and got a 64. As far as NGC banning PCGS from World sets, why not? They couldn't do it with U.S. coins, because in many series (Mercury dimes, for example), there just aren't enough NGC coins to go around and they's have virtually no registry sets. >>

Of course it is their service and they can do anything they want. And with complete disregard for their customers, I might add. The common sentiment ATS is "well PCGS is exclusive so why can't NGC be as well." The trouble was, PCGS has never tried a bait and switch, the other guys did. When I renewed I had no notice that my nearly exclusively PCGS World Coin inventory would be excluded from the Registry. And yes I am a dealer/collector and not alone in that.
    VDBCoins.com Our Registry Sets Many successful BSTs; pls ask.
  • Options
    I have never crossed a PCGS into a NGC, but have crossed several dollar coins over the years from a NGC holder into PCGS. In almost all cases, the grade was the same or within 1 point.
  • Options
    robecrobec Posts: 6,603 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It seems to me that at one time, around 2006-07, NGC coins were allowed in the PCGS registries. Does anyone else remember this?
  • Options
    BoomBoom Posts: 10,165
    Bwahaha. NGC's loss; not PCGS' NGC is OK but the BEST coins are in the best holders - PCGS!
    Sure, PCGS is strict on grading (most of the time) with few exceptions AND there are cherries to be found in NGC slabs for those who know what to look for. I'm not bragging because many NGC coins DNC at the same grade BUT at times I've had real good luck finding some real sweeties in their slabs, particularly in older "fatties".

PCGS may be strict at times but generally speaking they are solidly graded & as such they DO regrade higher at times. I have had several pieces regrade quite nicely and that's ALWAYS a pleasant feeling! Hey! Just my 2 Cents, FWIW! image

*edited for spelling corrections. image
  • Options

<< <i>It seems to me that at one time, around 2006-07, NGC coins were allowed in the PCGS registries. Does anyone else remember this? >>

I don't remember NGC coins ever being allowed in a PCGS set.
  • Options
    One of the concerns ATS is that NGC may impose this criteria on the US sets. So let's say one has a top registry set with rattler PCGS slabs along with 1st generation NGC holders. In order to be in either TPG's registry without acquiring new coins would require cracking out what may be perceived as a holder that adds value to the basic collector value of the coin itself. What's causing a lot of the frustration ATS is the uncertainty about this requirement regarding US Coins. NGC says they have no plans for this, but that statement really doesn't mean anything.
  • Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

I couldn't, no matter how hard I try, care any less about ANYTHING that ngc does!
  • Options
    BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 30,987 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I don't blame NGC for doing this in fact I am surprised that it did't happen sooner. Next step will be all sets will be NGC only. >>

They won't have much of a U.S. registry if they kick out all of the PCGS coins.
  • Options
    giorgio11giorgio11 Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭✭✭
    They kicked out all my PCGS World Coins (mostly Canadian silver/gold and Aussie sovereigns) and I obliged them by removing my U.S. coin sets as well. Adios ATS!
    VDBCoins.com Our Registry Sets Many successful BSTs; pls ask.
  • Options
    mkman123mkman123 Posts: 6,849 ✭✭✭✭
    I think that was a good move by NGC. I will continue to buy NGC and PCGS coins as I don't drink the kool aid
    Successful Buying and Selling transactions with:

Many members on this forum that now it cannot fit in my signature. Please ask for entire list.