Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

What is an NGC VF-30 1921-S walker worth?

Just got back from NGC a 1921-S walking liberty half that I'd purchased raw as a VG for $50 in November at the Red River Valley coin show.

The coin is a nice original NGC VF-30 and the dealer who sent the coin in for me offered $1,000 cash or a nice original VF 1884-CC eagle for it.

Another dealer had a PCGS CAC stickered VF-35 for sale for $3,500 at the recent Red River Valley coin show so it is hard for me to know what a decent offer for my coin would be.

Comments

• Options
    MoldnutMoldnut Posts: 3,082 ✭✭✭✭
    You bought it as a VG??? For $50????
    Derek

EAC 6024
  • Options
    AnkurJAnkurJ Posts: 11,366 ✭✭✭✭
    If that is true, you deserve a YOU SUCK! image
    All coins kept in bank vaults.
    PCGS Registries
    Box of 20
    SeaEagleCoins: 11/14/54-4/5/12. Miss you Larry!
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,198 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Does sound like a potential YOU SUCK award situation, doesn't it.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    kazkaz Posts: 9,067 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hmm. Have to go to that show.
  • Options
    MoldnutMoldnut Posts: 3,082 ✭✭✭✭
    Whatever the deal is, any dealer who sells VF coins as VG will not or should not be in business long.
    Derek

EAC 6024
  • Options
    If it deserves the VF30 grade, then it's worth around $1200-$1600. There is a very big jump in VF35.

A $1000 cash offer doesn't sound too bad.

BTW, circ silver is generally much more salable in PCGS holders.
  • Options
    LanceNewmanOCCLanceNewmanOCC Posts: 19,999 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 24, 2022 10:58AM
    i really don't enjoy saying it but it needs to be said

advising someone on price without seeing an item unless they describe it in such a way as to make Hemingway jealous is like advising someone to walk on a lake covered with ice; they may

sound like they know what they are talking about but when your &%! falls through the ice, don't be surprised !

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

• Options

<< <i>Whatever the deal is, any dealer who sells VF coins as VG will not or should not be in business long. >>

This fellow is a vest pocket dealer who had set up for the first time at a coin show.

I saw this particular coin sitting raw along with some other walkers I bought from him in 2x2's. I asked what he wanted for each coin, when we got to the 21-s he looked at it for awhile and told me it was a really nice VG and he wanted $50 for it so I asked one more time before buying it if he felt that was enough money for said coin and he replied I am making money on it so he felt it was a fair price. I knew the coin should grade VF but wasn't sure if it would grade 20,25 or 30

Back to the matter at hand do you guys think it would be better to take the cash or the 1884-cc $10 gold piece???
  • Options
    mkman123mkman123 Posts: 6,849 ✭✭✭✭
    get the gold!
    Successful Buying and Selling transactions with:

Many members on this forum that now it cannot fit in my signature. Please ask for entire list.
  • Options

<< <i>get the gold! >>

Of course...what a silly question Yukon Cornelius only wants silver & gold, silver & gold....YAHOOOO~!!
  • Options
    BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 30,987 ✭✭✭✭✭
    numismedia has $4900 for a 40. I think I'd put it up on eBay myself. Or possibly TeleTrade. Got any pics?
  • Options
    Walkerguy21DWalkerguy21D Posts: 11,147 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think I paid ~$1900 for the NGC VF30 in my reg set. However the coin has very close to XF detail, and I turned down a profit on it from a dealer who knows walkers.
    I have have seen, and owned others that I felt were legit VF 30's that traded below $1000.
    The 21S is surprisingly relatively common in the VF20/25 grade range, much more so than the 21P or D. But they quickly become scarce above that grade, and true XF's
    are rare. Hence the huge price spreads.
    So like someone said, it's hard for us forumites to advise you on a price w/o seeing it.
    Successful BST transactions with 170 members. Recent: Tonedeaf, Shane6596, Piano1, Ikenefic, RG, PCGSPhoto, stman, Don'tTelltheWife, Boosibri, Ron1968, snowequities, VTchaser, jrt103, SurfinxHI, 78saen, bp777, FHC, RYK, JTHawaii, Opportunity, Kliao, bigtime36, skanderbeg, split37, thebigeng, acloco, Toninginthblood, OKCC, braddick, Coinflip, robcool, fastfreddie, tightbudget, DBSTrader2, nickelsciolist, relaxn, Eagle eye, soldi, silverman68, ElKevvo, sawyerjosh, Schmitz7, talkingwalnut2, konsole, sharkman987, sniocsu, comma, jesbroken, David1234, biosolar, Sullykerry, Moldnut, erwindoc, MichaelDixon, GotTheBug
  • Options
    Here is a 21S that some may argue is close to or at the VF30 level. You can see what I paid for it, and I don't mind saying that
    I sold it to a fellow forumite for his set for ~$500 or so. A win-win, I think.

Successful BST transactions with 170 members. Recent: Tonedeaf, Shane6596, Piano1, Ikenefic, RG, PCGSPhoto, stman, Don'tTelltheWife, Boosibri, Ron1968, snowequities, VTchaser, jrt103, SurfinxHI, 78saen, bp777, FHC, RYK, JTHawaii, Opportunity, Kliao, bigtime36, skanderbeg, split37, thebigeng, acloco, Toninginthblood, OKCC, braddick, Coinflip, robcool, fastfreddie, tightbudget, DBSTrader2, nickelsciolist, relaxn, Eagle eye, soldi, silverman68, ElKevvo, sawyerjosh, Schmitz7, talkingwalnut2, konsole, sharkman987, sniocsu, comma, jesbroken, David1234, biosolar, Sullykerry, Moldnut, erwindoc, MichaelDixon, GotTheBug
  • Options
    I paid $550 for this coin, easily a VF30+. However, it gets a penalty stroke for the dig on the rev:

• Options
    pmacpmac Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭
    "Go for the gold!"
    Paul
  • Options

<< <i>I paid $550 for this coin, easily a VF30+. However, it gets a penalty stroke for the dig on the rev:

image >>

That coin is almost identical to mine minus the reverse dig.
  • Options
    guitarwesguitarwes Posts: 9,240 ✭✭✭

Wow, great pick. Sad to think about what he might have paid an unsuspecting seller to make $$$ on it, but as it turns out he was unsuspecting himself.

I think $1000-$1200 sell price would make a good round number estimate on that. As Greg said, this date/mm skyrockets AFTER vf30. If it's got tons of meat and is a stong strong VF++, I would try for a regrade to get VF35 since you don't have but $50 in the coin. Of course there's always a chance it could come back vf25.

@ Elite CNC Routing & Woodworks on Facebook. Check out my work.
    Too many positive BST transactions with too many members to list.
  • Options

<< <i>Wow, great pick. Sad to think about what he might have paid an unsuspecting seller to make $$$ on it, but as it turns out he was unsuspecting himself.

I think $1000-$1200 sell price would make a good round number estimate on that. As Greg said, this date/mm skyrockets AFTER vf30. If it's got tons of meat and is a stong strong VF++, I would try for a regrade to get VF35 since you don't have but $50 in the coin. Of course there's always a chance it could come back vf25. >>

My first thought when I sent the coin in was VF-25 with a shot at a VF-30 so I think it's graded acurately and am pleased with the grade.

• Options
    guitarwesguitarwes Posts: 9,240 ✭✭✭

Stick with it then, don't tempt the graders.

Turn that Ag score into some nice Au. image And let us all know who and where the newbie dealer is. imageimageimage

@ Elite CNC Routing & Woodworks on Facebook. Check out my work.
    Too many positive BST transactions with too many members to list.
  • Options
    After careful consideration I'm going to the dealer today and try get him to sweeten his offer a bit.

Sorry no pics, I need to learn how to post great pics here like many of you do and need to buy a decent camera or perhaps one of those digital microscopes discussed here.

Here is the number on the slab for naysayers out there: 3524279-001
  • Options
    Well I sold my 1921-S walker for $950 cash and an old poured Johnson Mathey 4 oz. silver bar.

I considered trading for the 1884-CC gold eagle but upon closer examination there were a few small reverse scratches that might have prevented it from slabbing.
  • Options
    mkman123mkman123 Posts: 6,849 ✭✭✭✭
    You still did very good
    Successful Buying and Selling transactions with:

Many members on this forum that now it cannot fit in my signature. Please ask for entire list.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file