Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

What young players' rookie cards should we buy today?

I really like Eric Hosmers' chances to be an elite hitter. Last year was only his third year in pro ball, starting the year at triple A and hitting .439 in just over a month. The Royals' said, 'Hey, this kid is ready' brought him up and he hit .293 with 19 dingers and 78 RBI in a little less than 5 months.
But his bowman chrome auto card is pretty expensive. Going for roughly $200. But in my opinion a better bargain than the much hyped Bryce Harper.

Thinking about buying a few Starlin Castro 2010 BC auto cards. He should be around for a long time. Hit .300 when he was only 20, .307 last year. His defense should improve quite a bit over the next few years.

Anybody have a favorite young player whose rookie cards they're buying?

Comments

• Options
    itzagoneritzagoner Posts: 8,753 ✭✭
    i do like and always have liked Mike Stanton.

i realize the proverbial cat is out of the bag on him already, but i don't think he's scratched the surface yet on what he will do in MLB.

i don't chase or invest in cards of current players, but if i did, it would be him. i might try to score a few good ones anyways.

helps that he's a local kid and i've been watching him play since he was hitting 400+ foot homers as a teenager. image
  • Options
    MattyCMattyC Posts: 1,335 ✭✭
    Considering what some of those top-dollar RCs go for, I find betting on real young prospects a dicey proposition. Just way too much uncertainty.

I prefer to bet on guys who have something of a track record, and yet still have good upside to their cards. Take Robinson Cano, for example, and his Signs Of Greatness RC. He's a proven elite hitter, but if he keeps performing there is room for his cards to grow in value. He was a good buy a couple years ago and still good now. If he continues to play at his level or wins a batting crown or two, the cards go up-- and I think there's better chances of an already good player staying good or becoming great than a total prospect emerging. And the funny thing is the heat or buzz on top prospects tends to inflate their cards to almost the same level of a more proven star, which is the safer bet of a couple hundo or even a few grand for the rare RCs.
  • Options
    olb31olb31 Posts: 2,946 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I find "gambling" on Quarterback Rookie cards to be the way to go. With Baseball (Steriods) problems, it's hard to put a lot of money into anyone. For some reason, the public's perception is that taking PED's are only a problem for baseball players. Ever look at LeBron, Dwight Howard, etc. It looks like they are taking/doing something more than Ryan Braun, at least visually. NFL players have been using them since the mid 70's.

Baseball is kind of killing itself in my opinion. Look at the upcoming HOF's. Vizquel will get in before Sosa or McGwire, the two people who helped resurrect the game back in the 90's. But I am sure some purest out there can see that Vizquel's game appealed to more of the fans, haha. image
    Work hard and you will succeed!!
  • Options
    Anthony Rizzo might be a nice, low risk, investment. His cards are still very cheap...he's going to play everyday...and going from Petco to Wrigley should raise his numbers significantly.

• Options
    jswietonjswieton Posts: 2,870 ✭✭✭
    +1 Anthony Rizzo
  • Options
    DarinDarin Posts: 6,333 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>i do like and always have liked Mike Stanton.

i realize the proverbial cat is out of the bag on him already, but i don't think he's scratched the surface yet on what he will do in MLB.

i don't chase or invest in cards of current players, but if i did, it would be him. i might try to score a few good ones anyways.

helps that he's a local kid and i've been watching him play since he was hitting 400+ foot homers as a teenager. image >>

The Royals top draft pick, Bubba Starling, has an auto card in 2011 bowman chrome prospects. He was a high school phenom in Eastern Kansas. There were stories that he was hitting 500 ft. dingers. A scout was at one of his games and Bubba hit two out, the scout said the last one may have went 500 ft. He was going to be the next QB at Nebraska but the royals were able to sign him. He's 6'5 and fast. I've been buying a few of his cards.
  • Options

<< <i>Considering what some of those top-dollar RCs go for, I find betting on real young prospects a dicey proposition. Just way too much uncertainty.

I prefer to bet on guys who have something of a track record, and yet still have good upside to their cards. Take Robinson Cano, for example, and his Signs Of Greatness RC. He's a proven elite hitter, but if he keeps performing there is room for his cards to grow in value. He was a good buy a couple years ago and still good now. If he continues to play at his level or wins a batting crown or two, the cards go up-- and I think there's better chances of an already good player staying good or becoming great than a total prospect emerging. And the funny thing is the heat or buzz on top prospects tends to inflate their cards to almost the same level of a more proven star, which is the safer bet of a couple hundo or even a few grand for the rare RCs. >>

Matty, thats so true about the top prospects. A lot of buzz, like the Bryce Harper auto cards really make the cards expensive. And I don't think Harper has even played in the majors yet. I'll look into Cano's cards, but I really don't like the Yankees. image
  • Options
    digicatdigicat Posts: 8,551 ✭✭

<< <i>Thinking about buying a few Starlin Castro 2010 BC auto cards. He should be around for a long time. Hit .300 when he was only 20, .307 last year. His defense should improve quite a bit over the next few years. >>

You might want to wait and see what happens with this: sexual assault case
    My Giants collection want list

WTB: 2001 Leaf Rookies & Stars Longevity: Ryan Jensen #/25
  • Options
    Thanks digicat, I had not heard about that.
  • Options
    BPorter26BPorter26 Posts: 3,499 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Andrew McCutchen
    "EVERYBODY LOVE EVERYBODY IT SAYS IT RIGHT THERE ON THE WALL" - JACKIE MOON
  • Options
    How about a short term investment (this season).

Justin Upton- I think he will win MVP with Fielder and Pujols now in the AL. Buy now sell in the fall.

---------------------

Starlin Castro could be a great player, but with the sexual assault case over his head, who knows.
    McCluthen is awesome but stuck in a small market and dont get the attention he deserves.
    Asdrubal Cabrera is one that I buy alot of. I LOVE his glove and hes got some pop.
    Looking for 1950 Bowman football PSA 7's
  • Options
    prthd- You got Starlin and Starling mixed up.image

Bubba Starling- Royals prospect.
    Starlin Castro- Cubs player.

Edited to add- Thanks everyone for the ideas. Just think if I had put some money into Pujols rookie cards after his first year or two.

• Options

<< <i>Andrew McCutchen >>

Agreed. Just a matter of time before he ends up in a Yankees or Red Sox jersey.
  • Options
    epatmythesepatmythes Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭
    Eric Hosmer & Mark Trumbo in baseball

Aaron Rodgers in football... if (and it's a big if) he goes the career route of Brady and Peyton... sure, his rookie cards took a steep climb this year... but there is still an absolute ton of growth potential in terms of value!
  • Options
    orioles93orioles93 Posts: 3,464 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hasnt hit the show yet but id start buying Manny Machado cards. He looks promising to be a very elite player in a few years.
    What I Collect:

PSA HOF Baseball Postwar Rookies Set Registry- (Currently 77.97% Complete)

PSA Pro Football HOF Rookie Players Set Registry- (Currently 19.26% Complete)

PSA Basketball HOF Players Rookies Set Registry- (Currently 6.02% Complete)
  • Options
    TonyCTonyC Posts: 1,399 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Eric Hosmer & Mark Trumbo in baseball

Aaron Rodgers in football... if (and it's a big if) he goes the career route of Brady and Peyton... sure, his rookie cards took a steep climb this year... but there is still an absolute ton of growth potential in terms of value! >>

I think Rodgers, Brady, and Manning have run out of room.

This year, Rodgers saw his huge climb, and only winning a Super Bowl would have kept the momentum going; with the loss, he has cooled somewhat, and it would take a lot to get it going again.

Brady's cards have remained almost completely stagnant since the 2007 season when they lost the Super Bowl to the Giants, despite good seasons the past two years.

If Manning never comes back, his cards will never go up again; there may be a small HOF bump, but other than that, there will be no impetus for them to move.
    Collecting Tony Conigliaro
  • Options
    Alright I will give you my lineup.

I did very well on Harper and Goldschmidt last year.

And all these. I expect to do the same with these names and Goldschmidt as he is just getting started.

Anthony Rizzo
    Michael Pineida
    Desmond Jennings
    Standon is a good pick
    Manny Machado for sure
    Garin Cecchini I did very well with last year too
    Aroldis Chapman
    Eric Hosmer
    Mark Trumbo is a beast!
    McCutchen is a good pick
    Lincecum is always great
    Posey is back and healthy
    Mike Leake
    Strasburg for sure again
    Brandon Belt
    Jesus Montero
    Shelby Miller
    James Taillon
    Castro for sure
    Jurickson Profar
    Dee Gordon
    Freddie Freeman

That's a partial list. Gonna be a great year!!!
    Miconelegacy Auctions
    "Live everyday, don't throw it away"
  • Options
    artistlostartistlost Posts: 2,240 ✭✭✭
    What no north of the boarder love??

Brett Lawrie
    Travis d'Arnaud

baseball & hockey junkie

drugs of choice
    NHL hall of fame rookies
  • Options
    artistlostartistlost Posts: 2,240 ✭✭✭
    Mind you I am no judge...back when I played this game a few years ago, I was heavily invested into Ryan Braun and Hanley Ramirez. Boy am I glad I sold all my baseball cards before Braun tested positive and Hanley started to suck.

mathew
    baseball & hockey junkie

drugs of choice
    NHL hall of fame rookies
  • Options
    larryallen73larryallen73 Posts: 6,057 ✭✭✭
    It's such a crapshoot. I really think you have better odds in Vegas.
  • Options
    Here's my take...

Michael Stanton.. He's been reported to have one of the top work ethics in MLB... players with similar approach to the sport included Roger Clemens and Joey Votto

Anthoy Rizzo.. Chicago Cubs got him solely because The is the GM... when the GM believes there is at least some reason to take note.

Eric Hosmer.. totaly seems to have the IT factor. Was not intimidated by major league pitching and adjusted well, clearly a major league hitter last year.

Guys I'd avoid, I've seen a few mentioned above

Dee Gordon/Desmond Jennings... sorry... but stolen base guys just don't sell. Vince Coleman cards are worthless, Juan Pierre is worthless, Jacoby Elsbury and Brett Garder don't garner their share of attention to a HR hitter...
    CAVEAT: If you are looking for a Stolen Base guy and want to get in early... check out Billy Hamilton, #2 prospect for the Reds, absolutely rare speed, got to triple digit stolen bases last season

Brandon Belt... struggled last year and I think he's pushing 25/26 now, he's not done but if you are scouting HoF talent, his days are numbered as he's getting too late a start

• Options
    Eric Hosmer may carry the torch that Alex Gordon never did and Billy Butler struggled with(although he still hit pretty good).
  • Options

<< <i>Here's my take...

Michael Stanton.. He's been reported to have one of the top work ethics in MLB... players with similar approach to the sport included Roger Clemens and Joey Votto

Anthoy Rizzo.. Chicago Cubs got him solely because The is the GM... when the GM believes there is at least some reason to take note.

Eric Hosmer.. totaly seems to have the IT factor. Was not intimidated by major league pitching and adjusted well, clearly a major league hitter last year.

Guys I'd avoid, I've seen a few mentioned above

Dee Gordon/Desmond Jennings... sorry... but stolen base guys just don't sell. Vince Coleman cards are worthless, Juan Pierre is worthless, Jacoby Elsbury and Brett Garder don't garner their share of attention to a HR hitter...
    CAVEAT: If you are looking for a Stolen Base guy and want to get in early... check out Billy Hamilton, #2 prospect for the Reds, absolutely rare speed, got to triple digit stolen bases last season

Brandon Belt... struggled last year and I think he's pushing 25/26 now, he's not done but if you are scouting HoF talent, his days are numbered as he's getting too late a start >>

Good info but I strongly disagree especially with Jennings. This is the off season. If we are purely talking talent/future, or money making opportunities. I made a bunch off Jennings last year and plan to do the same this year. The market will get what the market wants.

January 11th

January 1
    Miconelegacy Auctions
    "Live everyday, don't throw it away"
  • Options
    NickMNickM Posts: 4,896 ✭✭✭
    For fairly short-term profit potential, look at guys who are projected to start the season in the minors but be called up during the year. Sell upon callup.

For a more buy-and-hold strategy, look for power hitters who have a starting job waiting for them. I'd also add Justin Smoak and Carlos Santana to the lists others have given.

While I agree that stolen base guys don't excite the market, Dee Gordon has a couple edges over the other young speedsters - serious major league bloodlines (son of Tom Gordon) and a really cool nickname ("Flash"), both of which help his card value.

Nick
    Reap the whirlwind.

Need to buy something for the wife or girlfriend? Check out Vintage Designer Clothing.
  • Options
    76collector76collector Posts: 986 ✭✭✭✭✭
    agree with MattyC and a few others. I like to go after the guys with a proven track record of a few years. Sometimes looking at a guy after a down year is a good thing too. Hanley Ramirez comes to mind, as Florida should have a juggernaut of an offense, and Josh Johnson as well. Totally agree with Robinson Cano too. Not only is he an elite hitter, he plays 2nd base, and is most likely going to be a life long yankee. Once Jeter and A-Rod retire, he will only continue to grow in popularity. Look at the price of any memorabilia of life long yankees stars and compare their statistics to others vs the cost of their memorabilia. Always so much higher. Ruth, Dimmagio, Mantle, Mattingly, Jeter.
    I cannot hit curveball. Straightball I hit it very much. Curveball, bats are afraid.
    Collecting:
    post world war II HOF rookie
    76 topps gem mint 10 commons 9 stars
    Arenado purple refractors(Rockies) Red (Cardinals)
    successful deals with Keevan, Grote15, 1954, mbogoman
  • Options
    lanemyer85lanemyer85 Posts: 1,317 ✭✭✭
    the one concern for regarding Hosmer is that he hasn't shown the ability to handle lefties even at an average level...even throughout most of his minor league track record.

vs lefties .237/.282/.303
    vs righties .315/355/.531

that doesn't mean he won't ever hit lefties, but as we've seen with Ryan Howard, not everyone progresses in that end. The one positive that may show future development is that his walk rate is nearly identical (6.1% & 6.0%) vs lefties and his K rate is only slightly lesser vs lefties (16.6% to 13.8% vs righties). Also of note, putting aside any home park/hitter's advantage, aside from OBP, Hosmer's minor league numbers are right around, or surpass Votto and Adrian Gonzalez overall. Although despite the 1.107 OPS, Hosmer posted at AAA, he only had an ISO (Isolated power) of .143, down from .303 at AA and .191 at A+. This doesn't necessarily create cause for concern, but it does raise some questions about his raw power. Of course, there's probably still room to put on more strength on that frame....so there's that.

I'd also agree passing on Jennings. Even if he becomes Carl Crawford, how many people collect Carl Crawford? Without looking up the current VCP, I'm guessing you can probably still land as many copies of his '99 BC RC in a 10 for around the cost of a case of the average domestic beer. I'm also high on Starlin Castro, but if you're strictly talking about investment, how many Latin born players are transcendent in society and the hobby? Pretty much just Clemente. When you're talking about cards of Latin born players solely in investment scenarios you pretty much just need to look at the market for European born hockey players.
  • Options
    swartz1swartz1 Posts: 4,911 ✭✭✭
    Fernando Martinez &

Rueben Tejada

Looking for 1970 MLB Photostamps
    - uncut

Positive Transactions - tennesseebanker, Ahmanfan, Donruss, Colebear, CDsNuts, rbdjr1, Downtown1974, yankeeno7, drewsef, mnolan, mrbud60, msassin, RipublicaninMass, AkbarClone, rustywilly, lsutigers1973, julen23 and nam812, plus many others...
  • Options

<< <i>

Good info but I strongly disagree especially with Jennings. This is the off season. If we are purely talking talent/future, or money making opportunities. I made a bunch off Jennings last year and plan to do the same this year. The market will get what the market wants.

January 11th

January 1 >>

I should've mentioned I was referring to long term value. Obviously a guy like Brandon Belt can resurface and add a bunch of value for a quick sale, but as I mentioned his HoF potential is dwindling towards None.

I agree that Desmond Jennings is the type of guy that could post great short term value if he produces. Second year results though are often a let down for yound hitters, of course quite a few still perform in their second year. He could go the direction of Rickey Henderson or the direction of BJ Upton.

oh.... and the league batting average leader and great SB guy Jose Reyes, just netted me a wonderful $2.99 free shipping sale on his Topps RC... after adding up all my costs I think I made $.30. Thought I might catch some hype following his signing with Miami, but I thought wrong.

• Options

<< <i>For fairly short-term profit potential, look at guys who are projected to start the season in the minors but be called up during the year. Sell upon callup.

Nick >>

always amazes me how a low upside player can shoot up in value on callup! You sure got that right.