Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

You know it is getting to the point now on the CU boards

that I am also really getting irritated when reading all of this nasty chatter that gets interwoven in legitimate posts or in an individual persons for sale threads. I would like to see somebody who has more resources than I do, create a good board for the people who really want to be here. I am a professional and a laid back guy for the most part and truly enjoy these boards as a hobby resource and I enjoy the friends I have made on this board. I like it that I have a place to sell my duplicate or unwanted cards to a fellow board member who might appreciate them rather than many of those jokers on ebay who will buy something then immediately want to return it, leave negative feedback, and then try to scam me out of some money.

I live in Missouri and we have a privately owned athletic site called www.tigerboard.com that allows missouri fans to chat about the Mizzou Tigers. This board has moderators assigned by the owner and it also gives general members the ability to get someone knocked off through the casting of "mob votes" if they are deemed to be too obnoxious for the consensus of the participating members. This ban is generally a 24 hour period but can be permanent if the owner wants you off. The owner of a new chat board could also set the temporary ban for whatever specific amount of time he sees fit. Also, if you pay a nominal fee to be a full fledged member rather than just a non-paying member then I believe you get 25 mob votes instead of 10 a day. I think it is set right now to when you get 100 mob votes then you are kicked off for the 24 hour period but again, this could be set to 50, 75, or whatever the owner of the board would like.

It is obvious to me that CU does not have the time and resources to properly moderate all of the different boards they have made available and it has gotten out of hand. I think a good board has to have some good moderators. I think if you build it then they will come. I would definitely sign up if someone like Burgundy, MbMiller, Storm, etc.... created such a board and I think you would have many others follow suit. Maybe bobby who has VCP could venture off to creating a new board. I would just like to see something done because as Beavis would say "This is starting to suck"!!!!

I also just want to say thanks to all the great people I have had the opportunity to deal with thus far, be it buying, selling, piggybacking on your sub, or just picking your brain for advice.
Sincerely, Tigerdean

Comments

• Options
    mccardguy1mccardguy1 Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭
    And is there enough magic out there in the moonlight to make this dream come true?

Yes TigerDean there is.......

Maybe one of those able to grant this magic to you will invite you!!
    I am on a budget and I am not afraid to use it!!
  • Options
    Great idea. This can be created I bet. Who has a good relationship with Carol or PSA?

There are more Alts popping up daily. It's getting out of hand. Again we, you, everyone should not have to weed through so much crap. A little sure, but this nuts.

A few of you said it's always been this way, just avoid it, deal with it etc. But as you can tell the long standing members 6, 8, 10 year members are tired of it too. Good for everyone sharing how they feel, and maybe just maybe something like what was discussed above can happen.
    Miconelegacy Auctions
    "Live everyday, don't throw it away"
  • Options
    itzagoneritzagoner Posts: 8,753 ✭✭
    i was thinking maybe we trade away most of our more talented guys for one or two REALLY good posters.......

but, David Stern would block that deal. image

VCP has a board for chatting and some of our members go there, too.

i think the expectation of Nirvana on an Internet chatboard is kinda far-fetched, no?

the large majority of those who post here do so for the pleasure and enjoyment you've described. that shouldn't change. and even the most well-moderated chat rooms and boards still have their moments.

we need to be better at moderating ourselves. let the players play, but maintain your own idea about what it could be like here for you, and then you'll be ok.
  • Options
    tigerdeantigerdean Posts: 903 ✭✭✭
    And when the moon is in the Seventh House And Jupiter aligns with Mars Then peace will guide the planets And love will steer the stars and then maybe you too will get an invite Mccardguy. I'm sorry I couldn't resist, that song just came to my head when I read that! LMAO image
  • Options
    yea your right, it seams like if you dont own a quarter million dollar collection around here no one responds to anything you say, the only way you hope to fit in around here is with comical banter, i know its sad but im a really nice guy with a crap collection, have you every responded to one of the post on here that guys shown their cheap cards,, i'll bet not,, just saying if you and everyone would look twice at some of the guys who's collections dont measure up this would be an ok place,,

ps,, way to plug your site,, i think thats called spam around here, hang on for the banter your about to recieve,, sorry ahead of time,,, j
    imageimageimageimageimage
  • Options

<< <i>yea your right, it seams like if you dont own a quarter million dollar collection around here no one responds to anything you say, the only way you hope to fit in around here is with comical banter, i know its sad but im a really nice guy with a crap collection, have you every responded to one of the post on here that guys shown their cheap cards,, i'll bet not,, just saying if you and everyone would look twice at some of the guys who's collections dont measure up this would be an ok place,,

ps,, way to plug your site,, i think thats called spam around here, hang on for the banter your about to recieve,, sorry ahead of time,,, j >>

You know BigJohn you might have something there. I am starting a thread!! Please be sure to post the crap cards you are most proud of. And I am NOT being sarcastic here. We all cannot afford high end cards. I know I have burgundy taste on a beer salary so I cannot afford anything but collector grade cards.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>yea your right, it seams like if you dont own a quarter million dollar collection around here no one responds to anything you say, the only way you hope to fit in around here is with comical banter, i know its sad but im a really nice guy with a crap collection, have you every responded to one of the post on here that guys shown their cheap cards,, i'll bet not,, just saying if you and everyone would look twice at some of the guys who's collections dont measure up this would be an ok place,,

ps,, way to plug your site,, i think thats called spam around here, hang on for the banter your about to recieve,, sorry ahead of time,,, j >>

You know BigJohn you might have something there. I am starting a thread!! Please be sure to post the crap cards you are most proud of. And I am NOT being sarcastic here. We all cannot afford high end cards. I know I have burgundy taste on a beer salary so I cannot afford anything but collector grade cards. >>

ya with me being on disability and an ex-wife that has my scrotum in a knot, im lucky to have a kool-aide collection,, i have a ton of low class cards so post away, i'll see what i can come up with,, thanks for responding.
    imageimageimageimageimage
  • Options
    Thread is up!! go for it
  • Options
    RonBurgundyRonBurgundy Posts: 5,491 ✭✭✭
    There are other boards out there that do the same, Dean.

Frankly, I'm surprised that CU, a public company, would tolerate what goes on here. Imagine a potential investor or shareholder casually checking out the board on the weekends.
    Ron Burgundy

Buying Vintage, all sports.
    Buying Woody Hayes, Les Horvath, Vic Janowicz, and Jesse Owens autographed items
  • Options
    bkingbking Posts: 3,095 ✭✭
    I've talked to PSA before (on a technical level) about board changes, and here's the simple answer:

They are using a 3rd party forum tool, Fusetalk, rather than doing any forum programming themselves. They are already one major release behind, as Fusetalk is at version 4 - and that new version has been out for almost a year now. Any enhancements that are simple configurations, like avatar uploads and simple admin functions, are certainly possible, but there aren't any current plans to either upgrade the software or customize it via programming. Their IT efforts are focused on the core business activities - backoffice, grading, registries, etc. - not on a place for us to while away the hours.

----------------------
    Working on the following: 1970 Baseball PSA, 1970-1976 Raw, World Series Subsets PSA, 1969 Expansion Teams PSA, Fleer World Series Sets, Texas Rangers Topps Run 1972-1989
    ----------------------

Successful deals to date: thedudeabides,gameusedhoop,golfcollector,tigerdean,treetop,bkritz, CapeMOGuy,WeekendHacker,jeff8877,backbidder,Salinas,milbroco,bbuckner22,VitoCo1972,ddfamf,gemint,K,fatty macs,waltersobchak,dboneesq
  • Options
    MrGMrG Posts: 620 ✭✭✭
    Well said Dean!

I don't have a great deal of posts here but have been watching for years reading and being amused by the barrage of trivial banter on these boards. I think better moderation and possibly mob rules would be a welcome change.

My dealings over the years with the chosen few have been enjoyable and rewarding, including the past 5 years when I lived in England. I was still able to follow the status of the market, and make transactions to allow me to enjoy my hobby. My thanks to you for allowing me to enjoy my moments of spare time!

Happy collecting!

Michael (MrG)
    Michael Gaytan (MrG)
    TGF Collection
    TGF Sports
  • Options
    cwazzycwazzy Posts: 3,257
    Hey tigerdean! What part of MO are you from? I'm in KC but grew up in the Cairo/Moberly area just north of Columbia. Big win for the Tigers last night. Any road win in the Big 12 is huge this year.
    Chris
    My small collection
    Want List:
    '61 Topps Roy Campanella in PSA 5-7
    Cardinal T206 cards
    Adam Wainwright GU Jersey
  • Options
    tigerdeantigerdean Posts: 903 ✭✭✭
    Lived in Centralia for 7 years until 2010 and took my kids to the Cairo youth basketball tourney a few times. I now live in North Central Missouri image
  • Options
    Yes we have a forum board and anyone that wishes is more then welcome to be a part of it.
  • Options

<< <i>There are other boards out there that do the same, Dean.

Frankly, I'm surprised that CU, a public company, would tolerate what goes on here. Imagine a potential investor or shareholder casually checking out the board on the weekends. >>

I'm a decent size shareholder Ron, have been for awhile, great dividend too. I agree with you.
    Miconelegacy Auctions
    "Live everyday, don't throw it away"
  • Options
    fur72fur72 Posts: 2,348 ✭✭
    Not sure what spawned all these threds but I know for one a handfull of my favorite fellow collectors no longer post on this board and have moved on to different boards (I have followed them). Its sad in a way because at one time this was a very tight group, you could trust who you traded with, it was almost self governed. Sure there was a spat every now and again but overall the core players were helpful and fespectful.