Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

What is the only coin listed TWICE in the REDBOOK?

ambro51ambro51 Posts: 13,608 ✭✭✭✭✭
do you know?

Comments

• Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,849 ✭✭✭✭✭
    A few questions before I go search out the answer.

1) Could you give me a hint ?
    2) Is there a giveaway involved ?
    3) Is it illegal to own ?
  • Options
    CameonutCameonut Posts: 7,258 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Is this a trick question? In other words, is in an error in the Redbook?

(I like the idea of a giveaway)

“In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." - Thomas Jefferson

My digital cameo album 1950-64 Cameos - take a look!

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    OK... I give up... what is it??? Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    WestySteveWestySteve Posts: 567 ✭✭✭
    I'll bet its a commemorative that circulated. Like maybe the 1976 quarter?
  • Options
    1787 Vermont Immune Columbia.
  • Options
    SonorandesertratSonorandesertrat Posts: 5,695 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>1787 Vermont Immune Columbia. >>

Yep, and when Bressett adds the long-awaited 'archaeological finds' section, there no doubt will be a third listing.image
    Member: EAC, NBS, C4, CWTS, ANA

RMR: 'Wer, wenn ich schriee, hörte mich denn aus der Engel Ordnungen?'

CJ: 'No one!' [Ain't no angels in the coin biz]
  • Options
    Wrong CRO. Sorry
  • Options
    It's the 1916 SLQ
  • Options
    ColonialCoinUnionColonialCoinUnion Posts: 10,087 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Wrong CRO. Sorry >>

Really?
  • Options
    COALPORTERCOALPORTER Posts: 2,900 ✭✭
    What is the oldest Redbook it would be in?
  • Options
    1849 $20
  • Options
    I shouldn't bust you on the typo .... 178 *5*.
  • Options
    ColonialCoinUnionColonialCoinUnion Posts: 10,087 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I shouldn't bust you on the typo .... 178 *5*. >>

Ha!
  • Options
    Type2Type2 Posts: 13,985 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Is it a Dime with two "CC"? hint.image

Hoard the keys.
  • Options
    1804 Dollar
  • Options
    CRO knew, the 1785 Vermont immune Columbia is listed with the vermonts and also with the immune Columbias .
  • Options
    OldEastsideOldEastside Posts: 4,602 ✭✭✭✭✭
    There all listed twice, until I put my glasses onimage

Steve
    Promote the Hobby
  • Options
    SonorandesertratSonorandesertrat Posts: 5,695 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>CRO knew, the 1785 Vermont immune Columbia is listed with the vermonts and also with the immune Columbias . >>

Your recently posted purchase was also a good clue.
    Member: EAC, NBS, C4, CWTS, ANA

RMR: 'Wer, wenn ich schriee, hörte mich denn aus der Engel Ordnungen?'

CJ: 'No one!' [Ain't no angels in the coin biz]
  • Options
    I never knew it until I seen it mentioned in another auction listing for the Ryder 1
  • Options
    IrishMikeyIrishMikey Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭
    Giveaway, giveaway!! What is our motivation here?image
  • Options
    DentuckDentuck Posts: 3,812 ✭✭✭
    Hmmm. . . . actually, there are about 100 coins that are listed twice!
  • Options
    tahoe98tahoe98 Posts: 11,388 ✭✭✭

<< <i>There all listed twice, until I put my glasses onimage

Steve >>

...image
    "government is not reason, it is not eloquence-it is a force! like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master; never for a moment should it be left to irresponsible action." George Washington
  • Options

<< <i>mmm. . . . actually, there are about 100 coins that are listed twice! >>

Im sure we would all like to see exactly what you are referring to.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>mmm. . . . actually, there are about 100 coins that are listed twice! >>

Im sure we would all like to see exactly what you are referring to. >>

Do you have a copy of the 2012 edition?

• Options
    I regret to say I do not. My most recent issue is 1985. I also have a 1968.

To clarify, and no doubt you are thinking of this in a different way that I am, and CRO is, is a complete different listing of the same coin under another heading in the main LISTINGS of the Redbook, not mentioned as a type coin, or in a text manner.

• Options
    LOL! You're a trip!

• Options
    Im glad you find it so humorous.

ha ha

better tell stacks they got it wrong.
  • Options
    My God, man!

• Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,562 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I regret to say I do not. My most recent issue is 1985. I also have a 1968.

To clarify, and no doubt you are thinking of this in a different way that I am, and CRO is, is a complete different listing of the same coin under another heading in the main LISTINGS of the Redbook, not mentioned as a type coin, or in a text manner. >>

Or coins listed as singles and in sets.......
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    The 1959-D Franklin half is listed 13,053,750 times!

Actually I was thinking of the "Top 250 Auction Prices" appendix, which lists coins that are all found in the main charts.

I like the singles-and-sets concept, though, from a "trick question" viewpoint!

• Options
    Cap'n Henway, with your experience you could write a Red Book Trivia Game.
    This was a fun post. I like ambro51's brainteaser --- it's a real stumper! (At first
    I thought, "Must be one of the transitional patterns?")

Didn't Bressett and Bowers used to host some sort of Red Book Game Show at
    ANA conventions? Or am I getting my anecdotes mixed up?

• Options
    I was thinking ...

... and that's where I went wrong. So I'm looking through the Red Book and these Susan B. Anthony dollars didn't get any prettier.
  • Options
    orevilleoreville Posts: 11,786 ✭✭✭✭✭
    isn't the 1856 FE cent listed twice?

A Collectors Universe poster since 1997!
  • Options

<< <i>Cap'n Henway, with your experience you could write a Red Book Trivia Game.
    This was a fun post. I like ambro51's brainteaser --- it's a real stumper! (At first
    I thought, "Must be one of the transitional patterns?")

Didn't Bressett and Bowers used to host some sort of Red Book Game Show at
    ANA conventions? Or am I getting my anecdotes mixed up? >>

You are probably thinking of the "ANA WORLD SERIES OF NUMISMATICS," which was run along the general theme of "Jeopardy" but with teams. The first year only (1991) it was three-man teams, and Bowers was the interlocutor. I was on a team with Ken Bressett and Neil Shafer. Later contests were two-man teams. I think 1999 was the last regular competition, after which they tried one or two years with Young Numismatists and then gave it us as the equipment was worn out.

David T. Alexander and Anthony Swiatek wone it three times. Harlan Berk and I won it twice. I know John Kraljevich won it at least once, but I cannot remember who his partner was.
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options

<< <i>isn't the 1856 FE cent listed twice? >>

That was the first thing I looked for, to see if it was also in the patterns. Then the 1849 $20.
  • Options
    DD Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭
    +1 for interlocutor.

-D
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."

-Aristotle

Dum loquimur fugerit invida aetas. Carpe diem quam minimum credula postero.

-Horace
  • Options
    If I recall correctly, JK's partner, when he won, was book dealer John Burns.
    PM me if you are looking for U.S. auction catalogs
  • Options
    Donn Pearlmann was the quizmaster several times. One time he started to ask "What time does the clock show on the Bicentennial half..." and I buzzed and gave the correct answer, "3 o'clock." Donn stood there looking stunned for a few seconds, and eventually awarded me the points and went on.

MANY YEARS later, he admitted to me that he was making a joke by asking something that was totally impossible to answer before asking the real question, and I shocked him by knowing the answer to his joke. I don't think he ever tried another joker question after that!

LOL!
  • Options
    EagleEyeEagleEye Posts: 7,676 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think JK's partner was Frank Van Valen. I was in it two years and got blasted out of the water by the Alexander/Swiatek team.
    Rick Snow, Eagle Eye Rare Coins, Inc.Check out my new web site:
  • Options
    Easy, the 1837 "Not one cent for tribute" token. One of my favorite coins.

I did WS a few times as a YN.
  • Options

<< <i>Easy, the 1837 "Not one cent for tribute" token. One of my favorite coins.

I did WS a few times as a YN. >>

The listing is the unique die pairing, so even though some dies or basic formats are listed more than once, they are not duplicate listings like the Vermont example given.
  • Options

<< <i>I think JK's partner was Frank Van Valen. I was in it two years and got blasted out of the water by the Alexander/Swiatek team. >>

David T. Alexander is one of the greatest living numismatists. The breadth and depth of his knowledge is astounding!
  • Options
    Well let me post my 1785 Vermont Immune Columbia...and then everyone else can post a picture of theirs image

imageimage
  • Options

<< <i>Well let me post my 1785 Vermont Immune Columbia...and then everyone else can post a picture of theirs image

imageimage >>

Thanks.
    No giveaway ?
  • Options
    pmacpmac Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭
    We all should have guessed this one. Ambro's latest treasure that he talked about in another thread is his focus now, so we should have guessed. He's certainly not going to try to fool us with a $1 gold question. We're really entertained by your passions, keep it up, Ambro.
    Paul

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file