Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

Miconelegacy Contest 3 Year Anniversary Celebration!!! LINSANITY CONTEST 2/20/2012 Details on Page

Comments

• New rule you can only win once in the first 15 days. You, Tommy for instance will be eligible 15 days from today to play along again.

Again this will be for the whole month of Feb. May not be every day, but will try.

I know I don't have too, but after last year this is what I want to do for this great place. Have a nice day!! image
    Miconelegacy Auctions
    "Live everyday, don't throw it away"
  • 1980scollector1980scollector Posts: 2,036 ✭✭✭
    I had Foot Locker typed last night in my response and then went and did some research about stores in New Hampshire and changed it.

Ugh.... LOL

Just goes to show you that if you think long, you think wrong.

Great contest and this was fun.

** Working on the following sets-2013 Spectra Football Hall of Fame 50th Anniversary Autograph set, 2015 Spectra Football Illustrious Legends Autograph set, 2014-15 Hall of Fame Heroes autograph set. **
  • mlbfan2mlbfan2 Posts: 3,115 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Again this will be for the whole month of Feb. May not be every day, but will try.

I know I don't have too, but after last year this is what I want to do for this great place. Have a nice day!! image >>

Wow, a contest almost every day? image

Thanks in advance!
  • Okay here is the next puzzle to solve.

Sticking with the theme of Boston like the 76 Cello. My brother and I had an opportunity to chase down a Star on the streets of Boston and each got an autograph. I still have it today.

As soon as we realized who was in the car we starting running after the Nasty V12 Mercedes... Just a beautiful car, I remember it like it was yesterday. Not sure of the exact year, it was either 1999 or 2000. There was maybe 20 people chasing down the car at the time. Everyone gave up except my brother and I after a few blocks, and by the fourth block winded like crazy the car had to stop at a red light. We ran up to the side of the car and down came the window. The superstar at the time was in the passenger seat. He said something like, wow you guys didn't give up. He signed an item for each of us, gave us a smile, and sped away. I had a him sign a hat.

My brother and I with Auto's in hand turned around for the walk back. Everyone else saw that we had gotten the Auto's and man did we feel like kings then!!! Such a great feeling. I was 21 or 22 still acting like a little kid. I have so many great memories from Boston that I'll share over the next month with you.

So the question is who is the Boston star at the time that we got an autograph of???
    Miconelegacy Auctions
  • Nomar Garciaparra?
  • DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭
    Pedro Martinez
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
    Jason Varitek
    ** Working on the following sets-2013 Spectra Football Hall of Fame 50th Anniversary Autograph set, 2015 Spectra Football Illustrious Legends Autograph set, 2014-15 Hall of Fame Heroes autograph set. **
  • grote15grote15 Posts: 29,663 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Saberhagen.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
    Tim Wakefield?
  • VitoCo1972VitoCo1972 Posts: 6,128 ✭✭✭
    How about the immortal Jose Offerman?
    Actually, I bet it is another sport- Larry Bird
  • Well that contesst didn't last long.....

Damn!! Anyway congrats to Doug with the correct guess. It was Pedro Martinez. Did the V12 give it away?

It was a great experience and he was cool enough to sign for us. I went to a lot of Red Sox games and the thing to do after the game is over is hang out in the back where the parking lot is. All the players have to drive out of there. Usually a few of the players would come over to the gate to sign autographs. Pedro was red hot back then so he never did that. But everyone would start running after his Mercedes in hopes he would stop. He never did, but this time we kept running and got lucky that he had to stop at the red light.

Now after winning the World Series I don't know if they let fans down by the gate near the parking lot or not. Maybe someone can confirm this. The biggest thing about living in SC is I can't just drive 45 minutes to Boston. I love that city.

Congrats to Doug, I think I have your addy already.

Okay that contest didn't last very long now did it....

I have changed my collecting habit and am really building what I call the Miconelegacy Vault Collection. I have been buying a lot of cards that go right to the safety deposit box, and will be passed down to my kids. Plus I like the idea of having some hard assets. I thought about gold and silver, but have them in my portfolio already anyway.

Would you like for me to start a thread and show you what I have been buying? Let me know.....

In the meantime here is contest #3's prize and another answer to solve.

You need to correctly guess what card I had come in the mail today. The only hint I will give you for now is that it's a RC card that a baseball collector should have in their collection pre 1990.

Miconelegacy Auctions
  • Wow... I read baseball as basketball..

I'd say an 1980 rickey henderson
    Jose Canseco Rated Rookie
  • 1963 Topps Pete Rose?
  • MBMiller25MBMiller25 Posts: 6,057 ✭✭
    Mike, I want to see what you've been buying. I will guess 89 UD Griffey
    Don Mattingly RC.
  • BPorter26BPorter26 Posts: 3,499 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ken Griffey Jr
    "EVERYBODY LOVE EVERYBODY IT SAYS IT RIGHT THERE ON THE WALL" - JACKIE MOON
  • eyeboneeyebone Posts: 1,402 ✭✭✭
    these are great prizes (very generous of you) and the questions are creative too.

who is the baseball rc? how 'bout nolan ryan?

eyebone
    "I'm not saying I'm the best manager in the world, but I'm in the top one." Brian Clough
  • jeffcbayjeffcbay Posts: 8,949 ✭✭✭✭
    1980 Topps Rickey Henderson image

EDIT: crap, already taken... 1983 Topps Wade Boggs

EDIT AGAIN!! Grote took it before my edit... 1982 Topps Ripken in PSA 10! image
  • corvette1340corvette1340 Posts: 3,384 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Mike, I want to see what you've been buying. I will guess 89 UD Griffey >>

ditto, I love seeing purchases, especially those worthy of heading to the vault.
  • grote15grote15 Posts: 29,663 ✭✭✭✭✭
    83 Boggs?

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • DarinDarin Posts: 6,840 ✭✭✭✭✭
    75 brett
  • 1983 Topps Ryne Sandberg
    "It's not so important who starts the game but who finishes it."
    - John Wooden
  • Congrats to Eyebone!!!

Nolan Ryan is correct. It's an 8.5, my first Ryan rookie. image

Alright send me your addy, and I'll ship out the Ripken. It's a beauty, maybe a re sub I dunno. I know 10's are tough, but this s great 9.

I'm making homemade chicken Caesar salad for my kids and I, so will post later. Here is prize #4

Raw... I quickly glanced at these. Scans later. They should all be EX-NM. 5-7's or so. I dunno..

75 Topps Fisk
    81 Topps Bird
    72 Topps Yaz
    And a 84 Montana PSA 9

Isn't this fun. See now you all have to except things from me. image

Okay tell me my favorite player as a kid, what state I first met them in, and I'll tell you about my Autograph experience. It was a pitcher, you also need to guess what other pitcher they where with. They were teammates.

Too hard, I'll provide some clues maybe later. But your proving to be quite quick!
    Miconelegacy Auctions
  • 08HALA2008HALA20 Posts: 3,066 ✭✭✭
    1960 Topps Carl Yastrzemski

I Just picked one a couple of weeks ago.

Joe
  • VitoCo1972VitoCo1972 Posts: 6,128 ✭✭✭
    Brust Hurst and he was there with Steve Crawford!
  • Red Sox is correct. Still have two other answers to solve.
    Miconelegacy Auctions
  • DarinDarin Posts: 6,840 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nolan Ryanimage worked for eyebone.
    Ryan was with Frank Tanana
    Oil can Boyd and Tom Bolton and you met them in Rhode Island
  • Luis Tiant and he was with Diego Segui and you met them in Massachusetts.
    "It's not so important who starts the game but who finishes it."
    - John Wooden
  • More south...

Couple new rules..

You can guess once every half an hour. Also if suspected Alt, the board can say you ain't a winner!!

Winner, winner, chicken dinner. Lol we are eating chicken.

Okay more south, two Red Sox pitchers. What state? Who were they?
    Miconelegacy Auctions
  • cincyredlegscincyredlegs Posts: 2,032 ✭✭✭
    Roger Clemons was the pitcher. He was with Bruce Hurst. In RI.

Mark
    Project:

T206 Set - 300/524
    Roger Clemens and Mike Boddicker in Florida
  • Here are some quick scans, not high resolution. Decent shape cards...

Added these Rookies from the Giants from a box of 2011 Bowman Sterling...

Miconelegacy Auctions
  • Post Scans of the miconelegacy vault cards!
    Wakefield and Suppan in South Carolina.
    I'll say Eck with Bob Stanley in Winter Haven FL
  • There's at least one or more correct answers so far...
    Miconelegacy Auctions
    Clemens and Bruce Hurst in WinterHaven FL
  • jeffcbayjeffcbay Posts: 8,949 ✭✭✭✭
    Dennis Eckersley & Bill Campbell @ Winter Haven, FL
    Eck with Bob Stanley in South Carolina?
  • The state has been guessed, maybe more...
    Miconelegacy Auctions
    Clemens and Bob Stanley in FL
  • Roger Clemens and Al Nipper in Florida
  • DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭
    Mike ... just got back in from bringing my little one to her MMA lessons. (My little survivor, Francesca, who will be 13, is studying for her Black Belt in MMA.) I just saw that I won the cello! SO KEWL! Thanks again. When I saw that Pedro was making $11 million that year, second on the team was making about $6,000,000.00 and a whole bunch of guys were making less than $1,000,000.00, I threw his name out there. Beside, I would have thought you were an IDIOT if you ran after a car to get the autograph of Creighton Gubanich or Tomo Ohka! LMFAO
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
    Clemens and Bob Stanley in South Carolina

Also, congrats Doug on the cello pack and hope she gets her black belt.
    Clemens and Calvin Schiraldi