Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

On my 8th Year Anniversary Here - I too have something to say about participation.

Hi Everyone

I decided to give my POV on this topic and have read some superb input about board participation and any hindrances that may occur.

First – I’ve reached 8 full years here – which in the world of internet chat is like dog years!

The number of years and the amount of posts one has does not incur any privilege or special qualification.

Whether I have 10 or 10,000 posts, I expect – like others to be respected – but I have to EARN that respect.

Now – for the newcomers? I think showing a little deference to the veterans will go a long way – since – if ya give it a little time – one might find out that they may just have something to say and can offer a bit of helpful knowledge.

I agree with those who say - it’s best to make an attempt to endure and overlook some of the negative comments and just keep adding positive input.

Positive input – informative threads – even if they get few responses DO put a better spin on our forum.

Going forward I would like to offer some advice:

1. Our forum can use more informational threads and stories about ones experiences in the hobby. I know ebay topics have increased – and unless someone is bent on being heard – perhaps an ongoing “Official” Ebay Thread might just be what the Doctor ordered?

2. Consider using the “PREVIEW” button before posting – many times – when I preview something I realize I can say something better and in some instances more diplomatically. Keep in mind – one of the biggest flame jobs against a poster – Davilillo – was started by me because I jumped the gun! Another being my good buddy Matt – Lawnmower because I was hyped up and didn’t separate myself from the issue for a bit.

3. I think many times what’s being said openly here can better be dealt with behind the scenes – PM or email. Now I’m not trying to curtail free speech – I’m talking – more – about personal attacks. It’ll keep some from having to publicly apologize – after the fact.

4. I like humor more than most – and I especially like ‘trashy’ threads on a Fri or Sat. Nite – but in some cases – threads are being dreadfully hijacked with posts that add nothing and may not be the appropriate moment for them. I pulled a thread before Christmas because it was hijacked by people I didn’t really know and didn’t find it humorous. I guess what I’m saying? When you put something OT in a thread – it wouldn’t hurt to know the audience and think a bit whether it’s appropriate or not. There’s more of that behavior than I recollect in past moons.

5. If we see a thread – even if it’s not our bailywick – and it appears to have taken the author some time to put together or is excited about something they’ve completed – like Chad who finished a really tough Dixie set – but because it “wasn’t” cards – got little play…. Hey! It takes 2 secs out of our existence to congratulate him IMO. Now, I know this can seem like dictating or pontificating – but come on – who doesn’t like to get an attaboy?

I think this pretty much covers some of how I feel. I – too – have been disappointed in the direction of our forum.

My dad taught me – if I can’t say something nice? Well I think you get the point.

Let’s give the new year a positive spin and try to be more generous with our good will and enjoy each other’s presence here. I know there will always be flame wars but if some of the people who’ve been here for a spell don’t speak out? Then who?

Take care – your friend
mike

edit: I mixed up Matt with Chad when I posted - fixed today.
Mike

Comments

• Options
    jimradjimrad Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭
    +1

for your 17999th post
    Positive transactions with: Bkritz,Bosox1976,Brick,captainthreeputt,cpettimd,craigger,cwazzy,DES1984,Dboneesq,daddymc,Downtown1974,EAsports,EagleEyeKid,fattymacs,gameusedhoop,godblessUSA,goose3,KatsCards,mike22y2k,
    MULLINS5,1966CUDA,nam812,nightcrawler,OAKESY25,PowderedH2O,relaxed,RonBurgundy,samsgirl214,shagrotn77,swartz1,slantycouch,Statman,Wabittwax
  • Options
    Downtown1974Downtown1974 Posts: 6,727 ✭✭✭✭✭

Good to see ya Mike!

<< <i>Whether I have 10 or 10,000 posts, I expect – like others to be respected – but I have to EARN that respect. >>

You are probably one of the most respected members in our community.

Fantastic post!
  • Options
    itzagoneritzagoner Posts: 8,753 ✭✭
    Mike, you've always been a positive influence around here.....when i first arrived, you were one of the first to welcome me.

i won't forget that.
  • Options
    DialjDialj Posts: 1,636 ✭✭
    image With all the talk about US fixing the forum, I vote for an Occupy the Forum. Of course, no tents allowed image
    "A full mind is an empty bat." Ty Cobb

Currently collecting 1934 Butterfinger, 1969 Nabisco, 1991 Topps Desert Shield (in PSA 9 or 10), and 1990 Donruss Learning Series (in PSA 10).
  • Options
    SidePocketSidePocket Posts: 2,901 ✭✭✭
    As always Mike has said what most of us are thinking but in a much more eloquent way.

"Molon Labe"

• Options
    eyeboneeyebone Posts: 1,402 ✭✭✭
    an intelligent and thoughtful contribution.

eyebone
    "I'm not saying I'm the best manager in the world, but I'm in the top one." Brian Clough
  • Options
    pdub1819pdub1819 Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    BrickBrick Posts: 4,938 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very well said. I especially like advise #2 about using the preview button. I know I have decided not to post because how I wrote something could cause hard feelings or could easily be understood to be something I was not intending to say. It is a good idea to think before we speak.
    Collecting 1960 Topps Baseball in PSA 8
    http://www.unisquare.com/store/brick/

Ralph

• Options
    TNP777TNP777 Posts: 5,711 ✭✭✭
    when I joined up, it didn't take me long to realize that Mike was one of the best guys here. I tried to pattern my behavior after him. I succeeded for quite some time, although that's not so apparent these days. I know I've become part of the reason things can and have spiraled out of control here. Somewhere along the line, I reached the point where the seemingly nonstop flow of alts, inane (and repetitive) questions and resident ***** (insert derogatory term here) caused me to respond with sarcasm, random humor and sometimes confrontation. Somewhere along the line I stopped being a cheerleader of what others were collecting. Somewhere along the line I stopped wanting to be as helpful. Somewhere along the line I decided I'd rather be one of the board smartasses than keep my mouth shut.

Mike, thanks for the reminder of how board decorum should be. Long-term members might remember that I started a couple of these types of threads in years past. Things have gotten pretty bad here more than once. This time of trouble will pass, things will get better, and things will at some point get bad again. Wash, rinse, repeat. For what it's worth, I apologize to the board at large for my part.
  • Options
    goose3goose3 Posts: 11,471 ✭✭✭
    my 2 seconds to reply that this was an excellent post Mike.

I don't post much at all but do read a lot of threads. (my billion posts came in the old open forum and from the coin forum when I was HEAVY into key dates)
  • Options

<< <i>when I joined up, it didn't take me long to realize that Mike was one of the best guys here. I tried to pattern my behavior after him. I succeeded for quite some time, although that's not so apparent these days. I know I've become part of the reason things can and have spiraled out of control here. Somewhere along the line, I reached the point where the seemingly nonstop flow of alts, inane (and repetitive) questions and resident ***** (insert derogatory term here) caused me to respond with sarcasm, random humor and sometimes confrontation. Somewhere along the line I stopped being a cheerleader of what others were collecting. Somewhere along the line I stopped wanting to be as helpful. Somewhere along the line I decided I'd rather be one of the board smartasses than keep my mouth shut.

Mike, thanks for the reminder of how board decorum should be. Long-term members might remember that I started a couple of these types of threads in years past. Things have gotten pretty bad here more than once. This time of trouble will pass, things will get better, and things will at some point get bad again. Wash, rinse, repeat. For what it's worth, I apologize to the board at large for my part. >>

Round and round we go. I have no idea what you just said.
  • Options
    gemintgemint Posts: 6,069 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Glad to see you posting Mike. I thought you may have been driven away with the recent deterioration of the forums. I think the boards go through this every once in a while for some reason. It's kind of like getting the flu. We have to suffer through it for awhile but then we get healthy again.

Thanks for being a positive influence on the forums.

• Options
    Downtown1974Downtown1974 Posts: 6,727 ✭✭✭✭✭
    [q For what it's worth, I apologize to the board at large for my part. >>

Geordie...you have always been a stand up guy. The problems around here as of late, dont reflect your reputation in my book.
  • Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanx guys - for the kind words.

I've got a lot invested here and as was said - cycles, cycles - but sometimes it's necessary to "prime the pump" I guess?

Geordie - those were profound words and you should be commended for speaking up - I don't know of the Geordie you were speaking of - I've always found you to be one of the good guys here.

Over the next few weeks I pledge to put up some threads on some hobby stuff I have on file - though it may bore some - since it's "not" cards but memorabilia.
    Mike
  • Options
    i get it now. you guys seem stellar.

hope everything works out.
  • Options
    BunkerBunker Posts: 3,926
    Mike another great post!

Geordie no need to apologize. (at least I don't think so) I think most of us who have been around for awhile no exactly how you feel.

My daughter was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes at the age of 2 (2003). My son was diagnosed with Type 1 when he was 17 on December 31, 2009. We were stunned that another child of ours had been diagnosed. Please, if you don't have a favorite charity, consider giving to the JDRF (Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation)

JDRF Donation
  • Options
    otwcardsotwcards Posts: 5,291 ✭✭✭

<< <i>image With all the talk about US fixing the forum, I vote for an Occupy the Forum. Of course, no tents allowed image >>

didn't work . . . image
  • Options
    DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭
    Very well said Mike. I'd like to add just a little summary of my thoughts on ways to make this board better.

1. Talk to other board members the way you would like them to talk to you.

2. If you do not agree with a post, there are ways to respond without jumping down the OP's throat and ripping him apart.

3. If someone breaks a board rule let them know in a nice way. If they ignore all the comments and continue to repeat the same "habit", then you can rip 'em a new one!

4. Enjoy the boards for what they are ... a place to relax ... learn new things from very knowledgeable people in the card world ... have fun trading or selling with fellow guys who probably don't have many people in real life that they can share their love with for pictures of men on cardboard.

5. Although we would all enjoy making money from cards, enjoy the HOBBY a little more. I have had more fun over the past few years after I had to sell my valuable collection than I did when I had a lot of money into the hobby.

6. Stay Active. Try to give a little and not always ask for things.

7. BE HUMBLE. You never know what life is going to bring you down the road. I am living proof of that.
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • Options

<< <i>Very well said Mike. I'd like to add just a little summary of my thoughts on ways to make this board better.

1. Talk to other board members the way you would like them to talk to you.

2. If you do not agree with a post, there are ways to respond without jumping down the OP's throat and ripping him apart.

3. If someone breaks a board rule let them know in a nice way. If they ignore all the comments and continue to repeat the same "habit", then you can rip 'em a new one!

4. Enjoy the boards for what they are ... a place to relax ... learn new things from very knowledgeable people in the card world ... have fun trading or selling with fellow guys who probably don't have many people in real life that they can share their love with for pictures of men on cardboard.

5. Although we would all enjoy making money from cards, enjoy the HOBBY a little more. I have had more fun over the past few years after I had to sell my valuable collection than I did when I had a lot of money into the hobby.

6. Stay Active. Try to give a little and not always ask for things.

7. BE HUMBLE. You never know what life is going to bring you down the road. I am living proof of that. >>

+1
    Mike
  • Options
    Thank you Mike for your thoughts. Although like anyone here, I didn't do the Dixie Lids set to get a pat on the back, it was eye-opening how few members seemed to care.

I too have a few members that rub me the wrong way, and as much as I can lately, I refrain from making any comments towards them.

I learned a ton of great information when I joined these boards, but i can't say I've enjoyed them as much lately. Hopefully that will change moving forward.

Chad
    The best pitch to start a hitter off with is always strike one.
  • Options
    70ToppsFanatic70ToppsFanatic Posts: 2,104 ✭✭✭✭
    +1

Well said.

Dave
  • Options
    Very well said, and it's good to see others come out and express their opinions.

Doug great follow up as well.
    Miconelegacy Auctions
    "Live everyday, don't throw it away"
  • Options

<< <i>Thank you Mike for your thoughts. Although like anyone here, I didn't do the Dixie Lids set to get a pat on the back, it was eye-opening how few members seemed to care.

I too have a few members that rub me the wrong way, and as much as I can lately, I refrain from making any comments towards them.

I learned a ton of great information when I joined these boards, but i can't say I've enjoyed them as much lately. Hopefully that will change moving forward.

Chad >>

Hiya Chad!

Thanx and I just edited my OP - I said Matt instead of Chad - I apologize for the error.
    Mike
  • Options
    cpamikecpamike Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭
    Very well said Mike as always and glad to see you care enough to try to make our board a better place to post. Mike was the first one to welcome me to the board as well and is one of the reasons I learned to enjoy it so much. You can learn a lot from the veterans around here as they have seen it and done it all (or so I'm told image).

Doug those are great additional points. I especially agree with treating other board members the way you would like them to treat you.
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep.
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep."

"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans."

Collecting:
    Any unopened Baseball cello and rack packs and boxes from the 1970's and early 1980s.
  • Options
    MrGMrG Posts: 620 ✭✭✭
    +1

Well said!
    Michael Gaytan (MrG)
    TGF Collection
    TGF Sports
  • Options
    ldfergldferg Posts: 6,739 ✭✭✭
    +1 for the "stone". Nice solid advice.

Thanks,

David (LD_Ferg)

1985 Topps Football (starting in psa 8) - #9 - started 05/21/06
  • Options
    RonBurgundyRonBurgundy Posts: 5,491 ✭✭✭
    Good posts, Mike & Doug.
    Ron Burgundy

Buying Vintage, all sports.
    Buying Woody Hayes, Les Horvath, Vic Janowicz, and Jesse Owens autographed items
  • Options
    PiggsPiggs Posts: 1,934 ✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for the note Mike. I really enjoy your Mail call thread, it's one of the best because you are always so nice to respond. Really appreciate that. Thanks. Doug
  • Options
    lawnmowermanlawnmowerman Posts: 19,477 ✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    I have to agree with most of what you said... When I started actually reading what I typed I found out how offensive some of it really was. "Mouth in motion before brain engaged"
  • Options

<< <i>"Mouth in motion before brain engaged" >>

Sean ... I think we all have those moments.
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>"Mouth in motion before brain engaged" >>

Sean ... I think we all have those moments. >>

Agree also Doug.

Now to Matt and Tom - I would hate to see either one of you leave. You both bring your own brand of influence to our forum.

Important: I learned from all of you last nite about participation - for me - it was rash and selfish to just blame the boards for their flaws and disappear - when the right thing to do - as was said - to drown out the noise - and continue to see the "good" information that flows.

I'm quite proud of the way we came together on this one.

And - for the record - everyone - including me - likes a little train wreck from time to time. image
    Mike
  • Options

<< <i>And - for the record - everyone - including me - likes a little train wreck from time to time. image >>

STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

• Options
    RobbyRobby Posts: 657 ✭✭✭
    As others have already said ......' Welcome back Stone " ! I must have missed the latest blow-up or train wreck to ignite all these threads about restoring the health of the message boards ! As Gmint said ' I think the boards go through this every once in a while for some reason. It's kind of like getting the flu. We have to suffer through it for awhile but then we get healthy again." is very well put and to the point ! ................................ Robbieimage
    Collect 1964 Topps Baseball
    1963 Fleer
    Lou Brock Master Set
  • Options
    Hey - thanx for the welcome back guys!

Hi Matt!
    Mike
  • Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    Great thread and post buddy, damn it's been 8 years.

Good for you.