Home Precious Metals
Options

2006-2008 W silver eagles

Do you remember last year at this time when you could still get some of these coins in the $20- $30 range?

The 06's are now in the $80- $100 range.

The 07's are now in the $50- $70 range.

The 08's are now in the $60- $80 range.

Where will they be by the beginning of next year?

I personally think there is a tremendous upside to these coins as more and more people are getting interested in them.

Comments

• Options
    OPAOPA Posts: 17,104 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Do you remember last year at this time when you could still get some of these coins in the $20- $30 range?

I personally think there is a tremendous upside to these coins as more and more people are getting interested in them. >>

Last year at $20-$30? I don't believe so. 2010 maybe. They are pegged to the price of silver, as such, they are at the mercy of that metal.
    "Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • Options

<< <i>Do you remember last year at this time when you could still get some of these coins in the $20- $30 range?

I personally think there is a tremendous upside to these coins as more and more people are getting interested in them. >>

Where are you getting your prices??? The January 13, 2012 greysheet has $65 bid on the '06W, $38 bid on the '07W and $48 bid on the '08W.
  • Options
    pitbosspitboss Posts: 8,643 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

Where are you getting your prices??? The January 13, 2012 greysheet has $65 bid on the '06W, $38 bid on the '07W and $48 bid on the '08W. >>

Just look at ebay right now and you will see not the gray sheet.
  • Options
    jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,373 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My ebay data saved from 020111 has the following ranges for MS-69/OGP coins as:

06W $65 to $70

07W $28 to $45

08W $32 to $49

Ever since reading Eric J's comments written in his book (ASEs are the new Morgans and "W"s are the new "CC"s), I've toyed with the idea of loading up on these. It was a very astute observation by Eric, in my opinion. And, I agree with pitboss that it's not a bad strategy with a mid to longterm horizon.

What's been holding me back personally from loading up on these - is my preference for packing more dollar concentration into each coin, which pushes me more towards AGEs or Plats.

And now that the Mint has continued the trend towards Canadianization of the series with more varieties - which dilutes the rarity of all of them - it has pushed my own decision even further out.

The fact remains that Silver Eagles are the most popular Modern series, and will undoubtedly continue to be. So, I still think that pitboss's strategy is sound, but I also think that the tragectory isn't straight up on these. It's a more gentle slope, but I would put heavy odds on a continuation of the "up" trend.

In terms of certainty, I think that the "W" ASEs are about as good as it gets, just maybe not quite the "home run" as previously hoped. Just my 2 cents.image
    Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,201 ✭✭✭✭✭
    As long as the coin market remains a free market, price equilibrium will be determined by the law of supply and demand. Rising prices tell you that the supply of these available for sale is dwindling or that the demand for them is increasing. Most likely a combination of the two.

Keep an open mind, or get financially repressed -Zoltan Pozsar

• Options
    pf70collectorpf70collector Posts: 6,504 ✭✭✭
    Still have about 20 of the 2007 W unopened. Sold 100 for melt last year when silver was $44, bought at $22 from the mint. I will not pursue these coins. Goldmart I believe had them in the $44 range. They are sold out. Apmex has them at $50.00.
  • Options
    I like these coins and have multiples of all 3 years in OGP that were purchased by me direct from the mint. I'll bet if I put an ad on the BST with asking prices on the low end of pitboss's prices I would get no response.

Time to put my money where my mouth is. I will sell 06W for $80, 07W for $50, and 08W for $60. Let's see if anyone will actually pay those prices. These are the low prices quoted by pitboss so it should be a good deal.
  • Options
    pitbosspitboss Posts: 8,643 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Still have about 20 of the 2007 W unopened. Sold 100 for melt last year when silver was $44, bought at $22 from the mint. I will not pursue these coins. Goldmart I believe had them in the $44 range. They are sold out. Apmex has them at $50.00. >>

Apmex prices right now:

06 W 89.99 left in stock 11

07 W 50.04 left in stock 136

08 W 79.79 left in stock 57

That is not too many in my opinion.

What I am saying is they are going up in price faster than silver is and they are selling fast.

People on ebay are paying the price I don't know what they are getting on the bst.
  • Options
    Along with bullion ASEs I like the idea of putting away mintmarked ASEs. None mintmarked stays raw but mintmarked gets slabbed. I'm curious to see how these will be priced in 10-15 years.
    Remember, I'm pullen for ya; we're all in this together.---Red Green---