Home Precious Metals
Options

Grab your cell and put in 1.382, good to go

I hate asking a con dealer or pawn shop what time face he is asking. Instead I would rather throw a number out, usually a little lower than melt and see if it sticks. SO I came up with a super easy way to calculate what face is worth give or take a itty bitty tiny amount. Take spot and divide it by 1.382 of your cell phone calculator.

Example- Spot is $33.94 / 1.382 = 24.55. There you go, that is melt so offer 23x or whatever.

Comments

• Options
    It works better with / 1.398 which is the same of multiply it by 0.715, which is the standard divident used to calculate the face multiplier based on the actual silver content. MM
    The member formerly known as Ciccio / Posts: 1453 / Joined: Apr 2009
  • Options
    1.3825 brings it exactly to one ten thousands of an ounce according to my calculations.

1.0001 ounce at 1.382
  • Options
    The majority here is using 0.715 (which I heard takes into consideration the wearing of the coin) MM
    The member formerly known as Ciccio / Posts: 1453 / Joined: Apr 2009
  • Options

<< <i>1.3825 brings it exactly to one ten thousands of an ounce according to my calculations.

1.0001 ounce at 1.382 >>

And your calculations are correct for strictly uncirculated 90% silver.

The industry standard way to determine "x" face is to take silver spot x .715
  • Options
    halfhunterhalfhunter Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭
    I have always used 1.4 as a rough divisor. Quick, easy for us ol'farts to remember, & gets you close enough . . . or $1.40 face 90% = 1ozt Ag.

HH
    Need the following OBW rolls to complete my 46-64 Roosevelt roll set:
    1947-P & D; 1948-D; 1949-P & S; 1950-D & S; and 1952-S.
    Any help locating any of these OBW rolls would be gratefully appreciated!
  • Options
    jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,380 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cell phones have calculators?image
    Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    I usually just pull up coinflatoin..com.
    Many buy and sell transactions. Let's talk!
  • Options
    joefrojoefro Posts: 1,872 ✭✭
    I have also heard x.715 stated many times before.
    Lincoln Cent & Libertad Collector
  • Options
    InYHWHWeTrustInYHWHWeTrust Posts: 1,448 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I have always used 1.4 as a rough divisor. Quick, easy for us ol'farts to remember, & gets you close enough . . . or $1.40 face 90% = 1ozt Ag.

HH >>

same here. can't mutiply 0.715 x melt in my noggin'--- but easy to remember $14/oz ~ 10x ; $28/oz ~ 20x ; ($35/oz ~ 25x); $42/oz ~30x & find the places in between in $1.40 increments. image
    Do your best to avoid circular arguments, as it will help you reason better, because better reasoning is often a result of avoiding circular arguments.
  • Options
    piecesofmepiecesofme Posts: 6,669 ✭✭✭
    I usually just pull up coinflatoin..com.

Coinflation tells you what the actual melt is if every single coin in the Lot of 90% you were looking to buy would be a brand new minted 90% silver coin, so I fell it is ok to use that site if you are purchasing brand new 90% silver sets as 90%.

This website is the absolute closest I have found to reflect what dealers are willing to pay you if you are selling 90% that is your typical $1000 face mix of some worn coins but mostly decent coins BUT not brand new ones...like proof sets. You should hold out for more if the whole Lot you are selling is all brand new 90% silver proof sets.

Conversely if you buying your typical 90%, try to pay as close to what the 90% $1000 face price is.
    Coininfo.com is my bible when it comes to 90%.
    To forgive is to free a prisoner, and to discover that prisoner was you.
  • Options
    PokermandudePokermandude Posts: 2,710 ✭✭✭
    This is why I like Canadian junk silver. Every silver half dollar and dollar is 0.6oz per $1 face value. All 1966 and earlier coinage as well.

1967 and 1968 dimes/quarters get tricky though. 1967 are either 0.6oz or 0.375oz per dollar. 1968 are either 0.375oz/$1 fv or 100% nickel (magnet picks the nickel ones out though).
    http://stores.ebay.ca/Mattscoin - Canadian coins, World Coins, Silver, Gold, Coin lots, Modern Mint Products & Collections