Home Precious Metals
Options

Speaking of conversions...a recent purchase

WeissWeiss Posts: 9,935 ✭✭✭✭✭
During my, ahem, absence, image I happened upon a video of one of my favorite rock artists being interviewed about his painting. The artist is John Squire, lead guitarist for the seminal 1990s Manchester band The Stone Roses. The band imploded 15 years ago, and though John released a few solo records, he had shifted his focus almost entirely to painting. My dad was an art professor and my mom was an artist, too, so visual art is just as important to me as music. That gave me kind of a personal connection to his painting.

I thought just a small sketch or even a signed lithograph would be very cool to have (like an autograph but more personal). I researched his work and really fell in love with it. I never dreamed I would buy an actual painting of his. But I contacted his agent. After a dozen emails and several days of looking over his artwork, I settled on a piece and a price. And wouldn't you know it? It was right during that spike in price in September, so it was right about what a 100 ounce bar of silver was worth on that day. So I went to the vault and grabbed a bar, then ran down to my dealer. Much to his surprise (I have a reputation for NEVER selling), I sold.

When I wired the $$ to his agent, she indicated the painting would ship directly from John. I asked if there was any way I could get John to include a note for me, too.

Here's how it looked in October when I received it:

And after a double-frame so I could include the note and a CD insert on the back (he did all of the band's artwork, too):

Would you believe the DAY I received the painting, the band announced it was reuniting? Their upcoming concerts have become some of the fastest-selling tickets in rock history image

Driving South by Stone Roses. That's John Squire on gee-tar image !

Driving South
We are like children who look at print and see a serpent in the last letter but one, and a sword in the last.
--Severian the Lame

Comments

• Options
    DrBusterDrBuster Posts: 5,308 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Interesting piece...and price. What does the note say?

I would have traded you one (or 2) of mine for that bar! Love trading my paintings for things.
  • Options
    mkman123mkman123 Posts: 6,849 ✭✭✭✭
    Not sure what to make of the painting.............but if you like it, then more power to you.
    Successful Buying and Selling transactions with:

Many members on this forum that now it cannot fit in my signature. Please ask for entire list.
  • Options

<< <i>Not sure what to make of the painting.............but if you like it, then more power to you. >>

image I hear what you're saying mkman. I appreciate It's not something everyone would like. In this piece John has tried to visualize what a particular piece of music "looks" like. It's architectural and structural--very minimal. Cool thing about it is that it makes ME think of music when I see it (and it's hanging on the wall next to me as I type so I get to see it all day).

DrBuster, here's a close-up of the note, again with musical notation on the illustration:

And here's a link to a Belgian interview with John. This very piece is the one he's adjusting in the opening image of the video and it's seen again at one point during the clip:

Belgian interview
    We are like children who look at print and see a serpent in the last letter but one, and a sword in the last.
    --Severian the Lame
  • Options
    Dr Spock note, nice.

Pretty cool on capturing the music. Is that on heavy paper? Doesn't look like canvas.

I just sold/delivered 2 this weekend myself and am in the middle of 1 of 2 commissions after taking 2011 off basically (did do one for a charity auction for Dec).
  • Options
    guitarwesguitarwes Posts: 9,240 ✭✭✭

Yours looks like several bars of sheet music instead of guitar tabs like the one he talks about in the video (Freddy Freeloader).

Cool Stuff.

@ Elite CNC Routing & Woodworks on Facebook. Check out my work.
    Too many positive BST transactions with too many members to list.
  • Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Pretty pretty cool. The Stone Roses always fastinated me. They had a distinctive rave sound in the late 80's and morphed into a Zepplin 1 and II feel by time they broke up. The irony is I was a fan of both of these sounds. The Smiths were my real cup of tea but The Stone Roses were always on my radar. Congrats Weiss. MJ
    Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options

<< <i>Pretty pretty cool. The Stone Roses always fastinated me. They had a distinctive rave sound in the late 80's and morphed into a Zepplin 1 and II feel by time they broke up. The irony is I was a fan of both of these sounds. The Smiths were my real cup of tea but The Stone Roses were always on my radar. Congrats Weiss. MJ >>

THE SMITHS??!!! WHY DIDN'T YOU SAY SO??!!! image

--Severian the Lame
  • Options
    Neat piece of art Weiss! You and MJ both have *fantastic* taste in music image...

Time to pop in Meat is Murder me thinks image...
  • Options
    secondrepublicsecondrepublic Posts: 2,619 ✭✭✭
    +1 on The Smiths. One of my all-time favorite groups.
    "Men who had never shown any ability to make or increase fortunes for themselves abounded in brilliant plans for creating and increasing wealth for the country at large." Fiat Money Inflation in France, Andrew Dickson White (1912)
  • Options
    57loaded57loaded Posts: 4,967 ✭✭✭
    what makes a sketch or any two dimensional work of art is conveying a thought, emotion, even a process. knowing what that thought, emotion or process is fundamental in it's appreciation or ditraction.

it's uber cool to you and i like it. some will and some won't and of course that will never dim your feelings and emotions towards this work of art!

we kinda know how much you paid, which is somewhat relevant here, but not to anyone else!

• Options
    Awesome pickup.
  • Options
    Glad at least some of you guys like it. You only live once, right?

Now remember that 10 ounce PAMP Au bar I had? image

--Severian the Lame
  • Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thank God you are not sporting around in a mini van. MJ
    Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options

<< <i>Thank God you are not sporting around in a mini van. MJ >>

image >>

I'm in denial about driving a station wagon. Because it's a rugged, all-wheel drive (CVT) that laughs at snow and ice, sips gas, is a partial zero-emission vehicle, and was built at an all-American zero-landfill auto plant only 70 miles from here.

But it's still a station wagon image

--Severian the Lame
  • Options
    *note: <--- will trade original art for bullion any time