Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

Mercury dime set on the move?

PTVETTERPTVETTER Posts: 5,893 ✭✭✭✭✭
I added a coin to my set and it moved me up to number 15image Just how long that will last is questionableimage These Mercury dime set are SOOOO close, that a simple upgrade can move you up a number and just the opposite you can drop a slot or two.

The good thing is the people in this registry set are ALL very nice and cheer each other on.image

Remember this:

Use signals when over taking a spot

Send you extra Mercury Dimes to my PO Box address image you can see what I need

Pat Vetter
Pat Vetter,Mercury Dime registry set,1938 Proof set registry,Pat & BJ Coins:724-325-7211

Comments

• Options
    If you are uncomfortable sending to a PO box, please feel free to send to my house and I will be sure to forward them on, "unsearched". image
    currently owned by 5 Labradors

Blaze - Yellow male b 3/17/93
    Onyx - Black male b 3/7/99
    Duchess - Yellow female mix b 3/12/02 rescued 9/18/02
    Rifle - Yellow male mix b 12/1/02 rescued 8/8/03
    Diamond - Black female b 5/3/05 adopted 8/3/05

First Cam-slam - 9/21/04

My eBay
  • Options
    DeepCoinDeepCoin Posts: 2,781 ✭✭✭
    Pat,

It looks like we had a Red Monday instead of Friday this week. You are in the middle of the pack of collectors who are all just over half completed. That makes additions pricy, so it will be fun to watch everyone move up. I noticed you and Al (among others) were both adding this week.

Congratulations... I believe we will have an interesting group of collectors once a number of us reach the 60% range.

Retired United States Mint guy, now working on an Everyman Type Set.
  • Options
    Pat....YEA!!!! you are in 15th, now just go ahead and add all of them at one time, we all know your holding back...imageimage
    Come on now......let us see a few more....
    Nice addition!
    Dennis

My Dimes

<< If it's worth doing, it's worth doing right the first time! >>
  • Options
    MarkMark Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hey guys, STOP encouraging Pat. I can already feel his breath on the back of my neck...

Mark
    Mark

• Options
    Hey Pat,

Are you going to be next to pass me? image
    Jim, Tim, Mark, and Al have all gone whizzin' by me with no signals what-so-ever! Al - TWICE in the past week! image
    My set seems to have taken 1 step forward and 2 steps back ever since it first registered @ #9! At this rate, my set is going to meet up with my second set!!! LOL image
    Congrats to all you guys on the nice up-dates, and welcome Pat to the frantic middle of the pack! image Just don't push TOO hard! LOL image

Welcome Walter. That's quite the "starter" set you registered! image

I did pick up a nice upgrade from Rare Coins of New Hampshire, today. They had a '39 in 66FB at a price I couldn't resist. I picked up the phone and ended up having a very nice conversation Jon, there. Very nice person to deal with, and the '39 is on it's way. image

Regards,

Don

Winged Liberty and
    FULL Heads RULE!
  • Options
    gripgrip Posts: 9,962 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hey guys,all in all i think we are the most active in the registry.Sorry Pat about taking your spotimage All sets are coming along real fast.Hey didnt you guys have to pay the taxmanimageimageEasy on the old manimage.Al

• Options
    FairlanemanFairlaneman Posts: 10,409 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi Guys/Gals:
      After spending 3 Hours getting My Computer to Work Like it did before I started Goofing with Buttons I can now make a Comment about the Nice Additions You all Made. Geez I wish a Couple of them were in My set.image Will not be Specific because they were All Nice Additions.
        Al was Right didn't You Guys have to Pay any Taxes or Does Uncle Sam Only pick on Us Older Folks. Monday Broke Me up in Business.image
          After Reviewing the Sets this Afternoon it LOOKS Like a Possible Bidding War may happen in a Couple of Weeks if one of the Dimes I sent to PCGS comes back RIGHT. Every Set I looked at Needs this Date and Of Course You Guys get First Shot at it. Lets just say it is Before 1920 and with a Mint Mark.image
            Then Again if it Does Not come back Right You get the PLeasure of Listening to Me Gripe about PCGS Again.image
              Cool Stuff going on in this Registry and is Really Fun and Enjoyable too Watch.
                Take Care: Ken
                  imageimageimageimageimageimage
                    Hey Forgot Something. My Wife Won the Employee of the Quarter where she works. Pretty Neat because Her Company gave her a Paid Trip to DisneyLand Next March. We have already decided to Drive down Instead of Flying. Heck She was even Open to Stopping at Coin Shops During the Trip. Pretty Neat Thing to Happen to Her !!image
                  1. Options
                    Hey Ken
                    Good Luck on the dime and be sure to tell us the minute
                    it arrivesimageimage
                    Maybe bye then we all will have saved a little moneyimage
                    Now all you other guys stop adding.
                    I will never be able to stay in the top 10 and still eat if everyone keeps adding
                    to there setsimageimage
                    later
                    Tim
                    LOOKING FOR 1931-s merc that is nice for the grade and fb
                  2. Options
                    Tim:

Because you are relatively new, I think I should warn you that eating becomes less of a habit once you get hooked on the Mercs and start spending your money on them rather than on food. I think I've probably lost 10 or so pounds of weight due to these Mercs--let's see, 2 pounds I can attribute to spending on dimes rather than food in order to stay ahead of Pat, maybe 1 pound goes to Don, at least 1 pound to envy over Ken's collection...Dennis has cost me weight, and, you know, in fact EVERYONE who writes in these threads has cost me weight. Now, it's not as if I shouldn't lose weight, but gosh darn it, now you Tim have added in and are costing me ounces, soon to become pounds!!!

Mark
                    Mark

3. Options
                    Mark,

Once again, ROFLMAO!!! imageimageimage

Just finished a frozen pizza for my only meal of the day! image

Ken,

Good luck with your submission. I take it that you already have two?!? image
                    "Anticipa-a-tion is keepin' me wa-a-aitin'"

Regards,

Don

Whoever can eat the least and
                    FULL Heads RULE!
                  4. Options
                    Don:
                      You Are Correct. Sent this One to PCGS just to get it in the Holder for One of You Guys. Don't think it will Grade the Same as the One in My Set but it Does have a Chance. The Date is............Hmmmm ??
                        Frozen Pizza Sounds REAL GOOD to Me after Having 2 Day Old Chicken Wings and Ice Water to Wash Them Down. Weight Loss Has Been - 20 lbs since Finding this Registry Thingy.image Plus ROTFLMAO at Mark's Post's has Taken a Couple Pounds Off also.
                        1. Options
                          CocoinutCocoinut Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭✭✭
                          < < < < < < < < < OK, all you sticklers for protocol, that's my turn signal! image Actually, I'm not sure if I'll pass anybody, but I am adding 2 coins to my set tonight. It may be a couple of weeks before I have any more, so I'll probably slip back to #10 (or lower) by then. I haven't gotten around to taking pics of these latest additions, but hope to have them in a couple of days.

Don, after paying Uncle Sam, even a frozen pizza sounds good!! imageimageimageimageimage

Jim
                          Countdown to completion of my Mercury Set: 2 coins. My growing Lincoln Set: Finally completed!
                        2. Options
                          First dibs on any 26-D! image

Regards,

Don

Adolph's Beautiful Little Ladies and
                          FULL Heads RULE!
                        3. Options
                          OK Guys/Gals:
                            Don has Started something by Posting a "Dib's" Post. After the PCGS Submission comes back or when they Post the Results I will have 6 PCGS Graded Dimes that You could Pry Away from Me. Nothing High Powered but All Graded 63 or Above. Will work to Fill a Hole in Your Set.
                              Post Your "Dib"s" on this Thread and If I have it I will Get Back to You or Heck Maybe even Someone Else may get Back to You. Doesn"t this Sound like a Fair way to do This ??
                                Here'My "Dib's" 1927D PCGS 64 or Will Settle for a Real Nice 63.
                                  imageimage
                                1. Options
                                  I got dibs on your 16d and 19s.....imageimage
                                  And I am still ROFLMAO at Mark since his last post!!!!! just too funny....image
                                  Dennis

My Dimes

2. Options
                                  CocoinutCocoinut Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭✭✭
                                  Ken (or anyone else who happens to have "extras"):

You didn't mention which coins you'd submitted, but I'd like to have dibs on your '18-P and '20-S, if they're among your upgrades.

Jim
                                  Countdown to completion of my Mercury Set: 2 coins. My growing Lincoln Set: Finally completed!
                                3. Options
                                  Of course you all realize that I get first choice on all No Bands coins.....LOL.. I know that none of you would want to have any of these undesireable coins alongside all of your Full Bands beauties.
                                4. Options
                                  LOL! Looks like I started a "dibs" bidding war! image

Dennis,

Just HOW serious do you want this '39-S? There's a gapin' hole in my set, there! image
                                  May have to eat ketchup soup at Mac Donald's for a week! image

Regards,

Don

Winged Liberty and
                                  FULL Heads RULE!
                                5. Options
                                  Boy, you guys are vicious, tracking each other's bids down on ebay! Remind me never to tell where and when I am bidding on a dime!!

Actually, is anyone beside me looking at the impending Heritage auction in Columbus? It seems they have a decent selection of dimes.

Mark
                                  Mark

6. Options
                                  Mark:
                                    It is Vicious Out There. Look at THIS Lowly MS60FB Coin that has 17 Bids and 3 Bidders from the Registry that I recognize.
                                      I Do Not know if I will Ever Bid in Another Heritage Auction after Finding out how Thier Exclusive Internet Auctions are Run. That Experience left Me with a Bad Taste in the Mouth towards Thier Auctions. Will Buy Online from them but Bid in a Auction is OUT for now.
                                        Ken
                                      1. Options
                                        Ken:

You guys are competitive!

Re Heritage auctions: I also dislike their "opps, this is actually an auction with a reserve, sorry we didn't tell you guys" policy. Now that I know it, I can live with it, though I wish they would change their policy to at tell us if our bid cleared the amount they were going to bid. (That is, I wish Heritage told us if our bids were higher than their reserves.) However, I am not a huge fan of Heritage's on-line stock. Quite likely it's their images, but I do not often find coins I think are pretty in their on-line inventory.

Mark
                                        Mark

2. Options
                                        Competition? what competition? We are mearly pushing each other up the ladder, with very emotional words of encouragement....imageimageimage
                                        We just like our DIMES! lol

Mark,
                                        I am sure you know by now that I paid for but not received my 19D, at what time may I put it online? (just need to know)lol

Just having lots of fun with this!

imageimage

PS here is the picture of the finished product for the wall mounted (or show) diplay for the Mercury Set. (see pics)
                                        Dennis

My Dimes

3. Options
                                        Dennis:
                                          Are You going into Production with the Displays ?? COOL !!!
                                            I Am Getting Senile. Cannot Remember SHI- . Here's the Rest of the Post.
                                              Mark:
                                                The 2 Dimes I have Bought from Heritage actually Looked Much Better than the Scans they had. In that respect I have No Problems Buying from thier Site. Damn though the Auction thing Really Rumpled the Feathers.image
                                                  OK Post is Now Complete.image
                                                    Ken
                                                  1. Options
                                                    I am surely going to try, if someone wants one, just PM me. Be sure to let me know how you want them set up (number of holders, plague location, and the such), and I will surely price them out raw wood, or finished, with or without glass. I sure love mine, it took two weeks.image
                                                    Dennis

My Dimes

2. Options
                                                    Dennis,
                                                    That is a real nice display case image.Al
                                                  3. Options
                                                    Thank you!image
                                                    Dennis

My Dimes

4. Options
                                                    I can't seem to get anything off of ebay and just don't try anymore.
                                                    Pat Vetter,Mercury Dime registry set,1938 Proof set registry,Pat & BJ Coins:724-325-7211

5. Options
                                                    What i would like to see is a seperate listing for the grade your looking for .Al
                                                  6. Options
                                                    Dennis:

That is one very nice display case--quite pretty and the coins sure look great in it. My only question is where are you going to display it? I keep all of my coins in the bank. I sure wished we lived in a world where I didn't have to keep valuables in the bank and I could show them off in beautiful display cases such as yours, but that is not the world in which we live.

Sadly,
                                                    Mark
                                                    Mark

7. Options
                                                    They are in the Bank as well, but that picture was taken for the Coin Show display. I have had a lot of success in showing them at different shows that I am apart of, like the two Coin Clubs I am a officer of, we have 3 shows a year. They do draw alot of people, and you would not believe how many people just come by just to talk about the set. I have managed to start several people in putting together sets like ours. Its a great tool for our field. Thanks for the compliment on the case, and yes I agree, unless you live inside fort knox, it is just a waste of wood.imageimage
                                                    Dennis

My Dimes

8. Options
                                                    This group of mercury dime collectors are truly a good group of people

9. Options
                                                    Hand signals <<< >>> added a few merc's today image By the time there posted it will be Friday,am i safe ?image.Al
                                                  10. Options
                                                    Rick:
                                                      Sorry but I could not Pass This 34D Up. I have not been happy with the one I have even though it is a FB coin.image
                                                        Ken
                                                      1. Options
                                                        Ken,
                                                        stop buying all the dimes that i need,that 34d would have been great.
                                                        you are now in the corner again,no e-bay for 2 daysimage
                                                        but really nice grab,very quick on the key board for such an old fellowimage
                                                        guess i will have to go back and look at the 39-s again
                                                        Timimage
                                                        LOOKING FOR 1931-s merc that is nice for the grade and fb
                                                      2. Options
                                                        Tim:
                                                          I was Quick with His Auctions in Fact WAY TOO QUICK on the 2nd one I bought when I thought I needed it for the 2nd Set I am Fooling around with.image Went and Checked the Set after the Buy and Found Out that the slot is already Filled.image Must Slow these Fingers Down a Bit from now on. Oh well maybe someone will want it after it gets here.image
                                                            I'll Post the 34D 64FB Coin For Sale after I see the one that was bought.
                                                              AL:
                                                                Where In the Heck did You find the 28D that You entered in Your Set ?? Thats My kind of Grade for that Date.image
                                                                  Off to Hack Up a Golf Course will See Ya Later: Ken
                                                                1. Options
                                                                  Well Ken,
                                                                  I am going to ask that seller to give me a commision, 'cause everytime I add it to my watch list, YOU BUY IT within a few hours...image
                                                                  So here I am, looking at nothing,LOL!
                                                                  Great looking coin....image
                                                                  Have a great weekend all!
                                                                  Dennis

My Dimes

2. Options
                                                                  Ken,
                                                                  It was in an NGC holder,bought it off ebay,i just got tired of looking for one in64/ 65PCGS.I will keep you in mind if i updateimage.Later.Al
                                                                  Hey,you dont need that oneimageimage
                                                                3. Options
                                                                  Al:
                                                                    28D's are tough to Find and I had not Seen any in that Grade Available so I was Just Curious. Did it Cross Straight from a NGC 64FB holder ? If it Did I sure wish I could get My 19S and 25D out of NGC holders. I probably will give them a Shot in a Month or two.
                                                                      Dennis:
                                                                        Thats what happens to Me also. This Time I just BOUGHT the thing. He had it Priced $10 over Blue Sheet so I jumped.
                                                                          Talk to You Guys Later: Ken
                                                                        1. Options
                                                                          Ken,
                                                                          This is the whole storyimage sure dont wont to bore anyone but i bought it as a 64 with the intensions of cracking out and dipping, and may get 65,it had some light carbon spots which i took care of but the coin did not have the luster to start withimage=cracked curatedimage and received the same grade but better looking coinimage.Al
                                                                        2. Options
                                                                          Ken,

I was away this weekend and did not have access to a computer. Contratulations on the 34-D. I am looking at a 31-S for $400 right now, but debating as income tax day tapped me pretty well.

If you get a full bands coin, remember me.

Rick
                                                                        3. Options
                                                                          Rick, et. al.:

Would you guys PLEASE stop being so friendy and helping each other out???!! You are supposed to be stabbing each other in the back and allowing some of us non-ebays a chance. So, get busy!!

Mark

P.S.: I'm STILL not telling you where I am bidding on a Merc.
                                                                          Mark

4. Options
                                                                          RFLMAO.......image
                                                                          Dennis

My Dimes

5. Options
                                                                          Mark:
                                                                            I did Stab Rick as He has Been Needing that 34D for some time and I already have one in My Set. Geez here I thought I was Helping You by Keeping it Away from Him.
                                                                              Rick:
                                                                                Seems how Mark is Un-Grateful You Find Me a 30S in 65 or 66 NB and I might be Able to help You out on the 31S. I have a 31S NGC Slabbed 64FB that I have not tried to Crossover. Now if I was to Come Up with a 30S I might try Crossing it and then Let My PCGS Coin I have Now go to a Non-Back Stabbing Collector.image
                                                                                  Mark:
                                                                                    By the Way I am Still ROTFLMAO even after Typing this.image
                                                                                      Hey Just thought of Something. Is the Dime Below any Good ??
                                                                                      1. Options
                                                                                        For an old man Ooops meant NB imageit's a keeper just kwyimageNice coin.Al
                                                                                      2. Options
                                                                                        Ken,

I will keep you in mind while I am searching. I already have a 30-S in 66, so if I see another one I will PM you. I appreciate the offer on the 31-S, but of course you know that I have zero FB coins (and am proud of it..LOL).

Rick
                                                                                      3. Options
                                                                                        I'm going to to look at ebay for a dime or two I will most likly see a few other members bidding on the same coins.

4. Options
                                                                                        Pat,

The current leading bidder on the 1926-S is one of our favorites here. The reserve has not been met yet, but at 786, it is getting close to the BID value that is a little over $1000. (My greysheet is old, but I dont know how much the prices have moved if any lately)

5. Options
                                                                                        I'm Betting the Reserve on the 26S is $1250 or More.image I have Seen the Coin in Person. PM if you want My Opinion.
                                                                                          Al:
                                                                                            Did You Call Me a OLD MAN Earlier ?? Nice 4 Coin Addition You made also. In the Top 10 Now.imageimage
                                                                                              Dennis:
                                                                                                Are You going to Win all the Dimes You have Bids on ?? The 31D just Might be a Dog Fight between Yourself and AL.image Also I sort of Like the 37D so Maybe Competition will come Your way on it.
                                                                                                  No Bids from Me on the 26S though. Ebay is Going tobe Fun to Watch for a Few Days.
                                                                                                    Rick :
                                                                                                      Your Right a FB Coin would Wreck Your Set. Are they not Tempting though Sometimes ??
                                                                                                      1. Options
                                                                                                        Ken,
                                                                                                        I would love to have the 31d, to replace the one I have (NB), and it apprears to be real white!, But if Al wants it that bad I will not bid any longer, another will come up within a year or two. The 37D, was just a whim, I like it, but I wont go for it either, I am in no hurry. As far as the 26S, I have not reached the reserve with my bid of 1050.00, and I have no intentins of going any further on that one either. So, I guess, the only coin I would really care to have at the moment is the 31d.image
                                                                                                        Dennis

My Dimes

2. Options
                                                                                                        Shucks and Here I wanted a Bidding War to Watch !!!image I forgot. How about the 39S ? That one is still under Blue Sheet I believe.
                                                                                                          Now for My Sad News. Bought a 30P from Bowers last week and Decided to throw it on the Credit Card so I could get it Faster. Well it got all Screwed Up some way and the Dime is Back on thier Site. Have Emailed them to Find Out what the Problem is. I have No Luck with Them At All. Is it just Me or do any of You Guys have Problems with Them.
                                                                                                            One More Dim Wite Question. What in the Heck is the Current Gray Sheet Bid and ASk Prices on a 1927P PCGS 65FB Dime. I bought one last night for $200.00. According to My somewhat out dated Gray Sheet this was $100.00 under Bid. Is this Correct ?